• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Area 2 Fall Prelims

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Area 2 Fall Prelims

Can anyone give me some hands on info about the fall prelims in Area 2. Virginia in particular but also Maryland.

Loudoun Hunt PC @ Oatlands

Middleburg Hunt PC @ Glenwood Park

Maryland Horse Trials @ Loch Moy

Waredaca

I have schooled most of Rubicon's Prelim and feel confident and plan on attending their fall trial, but that is the last one of the season for this area. What about before that. I think I have the funds to do three total this fall at prelim.

I think the DRPC fall event is going to be too early (late summer-too hot, maybe) for my liking, plus the "hulk" oxer and the prelim Trakhner scare the beejesus out of me.

TIA

Sarah

I think they have redesigned the courses at MDHT, but last fall it was pretty straight forward. There were no ditches at all, there was a corner (but it was just by itself), the ditch and brush, the water was a one stride (it was pretty small though, like a log type jump, one stride to another one going into the water). But, I guess since the courses have been redesigned that may not help you much.

DRPC in August was hot last year, but everyone did a fantastic job of dealing with the heat, there was lots of water provided.
    http://www.huxleygreer.com
    http://520mpm09.blogspot.com
    http://morvencci.blogspot.com

Comment

Hey there Zeus,

There was actually thread about this very topic not too long ago (of course I can't find it, or I would post the link!)

A few quick commments (from the thread), though I'm sure others will weigh in

Middleburg's P course is BIG! (I would say maxed out?)

Loudoun's course (at Oatlands) is *mostly* pretty straightforward, but last fall there was a big *Honking* Trakehner on course (makes the one at FP look small--though the one at FP is airier...), and there was also apparently a tough question (that caught a bunch of people out): IIRC, it was a downhill skinny into the shade, that was part of a combo. (asterix rode the course and had trouble at the Trak; I know some others weighed in on how the course rode, too.) The ground was really hard there last fall (thanks, drought ), so that didn't help matters...

I was just at Loch Moy yesterday, and they have changed a lot of things around there: the stadium and dressage are now on footing (yay! ), and they have a new water complex and bank complex--with some new skinnies--there wasn't a ton of new stuff out there to jump (they had moved some portables around) They stillo have Trakehner "row" and the brush and wall "row" (which is big!), and most of the P jumps there are pretty stout. (They have a HUGE corner, but apparently that was an option last year...) yellowrose would say it's a good moveup course, but , I don't know; things look biggish to me compared to other Prelim courses I've "inspected" and schooled over myself during the past 2-3 years. On the plus side, the approaches and terrain there are both good, so other than some of the the jumps in the woods, there's nothing "trappy" about the course: it's big and galloping...The ground can get hard if there's no rain, since it's on top of a hill. I think Carolyn and Co. aggravate the footing before the HTs. I'm entered in the second one this summer (at T), and am volunteering at the first one--plus am planning ot try to walk the P course with Emily Beshear. I should have a better idea of how it rides by then (as well as what new wrinkles they've added!), which will help in case I want to enter the one in the fall )

(I don't know if that's any help, but I'm sure you will get reports from some folks who have actually ridden the course, as opposed to schooled over pieces of it )

As for DRHT, I am planning to move the girl up there, since she's jumped all the P stuff there (easily) with the exception of the P side of the Irish Bank (which has been closed for all but a little while last fall); the corner (I schooled the option); the table (gulp!), and the "hulk oxer" to which you refer?? (I'm assuming you mean that great creosoted black thing after the corner, on the edge of the field/tree line?) I was going to jump that last time I schooled there, but it was partially in shadow when I was there, so was sort of hard to see--I decided to save it for later. I don't think it's much bigger (or wider) than the big log P jump in the woods...It always seems to ride great, so I wouldn't worry about it with your big boy

Anyway, I will look forward to hearing others' insights, since I too am interested in getting as much info as possible on this topic (and of course keep in mind that some of these courses are different each time--though those ginormous permanant Trakehners tend to be there year after year )
      "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks so much. It looks like in talking to friends, it will be Loudoun as our move up, Maryland and then Rubicon. The three is all the finances will allow.

Middleburg is, I have been told many times over, a "ready to Intermediate" course. We shall save that one for next fall! hopefully.

Comment

Originally posted by S4zeus View Post
          Thanks so much. It looks like in talking to friends, it will be Loudoun as our move up, Maryland and then Rubicon. The three is all the finances will allow.

Middleburg is, I have been told many times over, a "ready to Intermediate" course. We shall save that one for next fall! hopefully.
          Sounds like a plan

(And you can always school some big Traks between now and then; your boy shouldn't have problems with anything else at Loudoun, I wouldn't think )

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

Comment

As much as I appreciate the work DRPC puts into the courses and footing at Frying Pan, I would not be running a prelim horse there. Way too hard in "fall".

Middleburg is big. Doable and well designed, but big.

Waredaca in the fall can go a number of ways, though it is always fair. Sometimes in the fall it is big and asks some good questions. Sometimes I think they are thinking that most of the horses that have been going all year have done the one star and are not running, so the horses and riders still going are probably newer to the level. I always love the course there, though.

What about Seneca? I think it is usually a fairly solid course, but nothing silly.

Loudoun in the past has been a great course. I don't think a lot of people last year thought that, though I have a rather cocky friend (who a couple of months later moved up to intermediate) who said it was "small." (easy enough to say when galloping around on a confirmed two star horse! ).

VHT is usually good...terrain is the question there. And if you already set on Rubicon, you probably won't want to do VHT, too.

Not in VA or MD, but it is supposed to be a great course...Plantation Field.

And I've never paid close enough attention, but there is also CDCTA.
            Amanda

Comment

Everyone told me (who was in the same place you are now last year) that ESDCTA in NJ was a good fall move up -- but I didn't go...too far.

That Loudon course last year I do NOT think was a good moveup -- and I'm not just saying that because I got eliminated at the Trakhener . Fence 3 was a single chevron, light to dark, downhill, with water behind it. Several stops at it right as I was warming up (there's a confidence booster for you). It was a big course for the most part too.

I ended up "completing" my moveup at Waredaca and it was WONDERFUL. Very open and forward in the beginning to get your rhythm (as opposed to Loudon), fair questions, tons of fun. It was not as hard as it had been in other years, I think because of what YB said about it being "post one star."

The problem with MHT in the past has been that due to the compressed space it is also harder to get a rhythm going there -- I was discouraged from moving up there for that reason. But I have no idea how the courses will be now.

As a confirmed trakhener-phobe, I can tell you that the trak at MHT is MUCH nicer than the one at Loudon. Big, but doable.
              The big man -- my lost prince

The little brother, now my main man

Comment

Here's the other topic...

http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum...d.php?t=147667
                http://community.webshots.com/user/CloverExpress08/

Comment

Ah, thanks c_expresso!

And asterix has a good point; I just did the T Trak at Loch Moy on Saturday (which I both schooled over and rode over in the Short Course Event last year, and which the "Hypervigilant One" was concerned about the first time over, thanks to the "different colored bluestone" footing leading up to it, so stuck at the base and jumped it from a standstill, and then subsequently tended to stick at the base of the next 3 Trakehners she jumped , but honestly, the P Trak (right next to it) didn't look very intimidating...(The one at Loudoun, however?? )

I'm not a Trak phobe, per se (I'm actually a "big suare table phobe" ), but some of those suckers can be pretty intimidating

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Doolittle View Post
                    , but honestly, the P Trak (right next to it) didn't look very intimidating...(The one at Loudoun, however?? )
                    Do you happen to have a picture of the Loudoun one?
                    Amwrider: May the fleas of a thousand camels infest their genitalia and may their arms be too short to scratch.

Comment

So is the T trak not too bad at loch moy? I am probably headed to one or both MDHTs and am just curious about the traks since I HATE THEM!

Originally posted by Dr. Doolittle View Post
                      Ah, thanks c_expresso!

And asterix has a good point; I just did the T Trak at Loch Moy on Saturday (which I both schooled over and rode over in the Short Course Event last year, and which the "Hypervigilant One" was concerned about the first time over, thanks to the "different colored bluestone" footing leading up to it, so stuck at the base and jumped it from a standstill, and then subsequently tended to stick at the base of the next 3 Trakehners she jumped , but honestly, the P Trak (right next to it) didn't look very intimidating...(The one at Loudoun, however?? )

I'm not a Trak phobe, per se (I'm actually a "big suare table phobe" ), but some of those suckers can be pretty intimidating

Comment

well, you know, you can't be a bigger trak phobe than me, c, and I have jumped that prelim trak at MHT schooling without a stop (a bobble, perhaps, but not a stop). The one at Loudon is DEFINITELY bigger and scarier. I think the one at MHT is more like the one at Waredaca, and probably a bit smaller than the one at MCTA...

Comment

Originally posted by c_expresso View Post
                          So is the T trak not too bad at loch moy? I am probably headed to one or both MDHTs and am just curious about the traks since I HATE THEM!

Well the one last year was fairly big...well it rode bigger than it walked. Last year you jumped a skinny log and had 5-6 (maybe more) strides to the Trakehner....it had a lot of stone dust in front of it which had a lot of horses looking...you had to ride fairly forward to it. My one horse doesn't normally look but even she sucked back a bit. I thought it rode well since you could really kick to it but I don't have issues with Trakehners or ditch and walls....
                          ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Comment

Yeah, the P Trak at Loch Moy isn't that much bigger than the T Trak, and they are side by side, instead of having it "stuck out there in a field all by itself", which somehow makes a Trak look more intimidating

The one at Loudoun at Oatlands

It's too bad there's no way to take a gander at that one (course never open), and they wouldn't have a pic of it unless the photographers took some photos of horses jumping it during the HT. (If so, you could probably track it down, no pun intended Wasn't GRC the photographer there? I got a nice photo from them over the T brush skinny...)

Comment

well, bornfree, as usual, you are right!

I should add that the last time I schooled over at Loch Moy, we did the Training trak first, and that went sorta crappy (as Dr. D described, puke down the hill at the stonedust, then heave over trakhener). I got rightly yelled out, sent off to gallop a fence or two and light a fire under his giant warmblood ass, and then came done positively guns a-blazing to the prelim one...which rode beautifully.

So that was a good lesson in how to ride those, which I have been TRYING to take in as best I can. I should say, though, that my horse never gets ahead of himself and never rushes anything, so I have the luxury of riding "against" fences like that. The setup they've used in the past, with the skinny, can potentially help you balance and then come forward again to achieve what I can do just by yelling and kicking (inelegant, but, hey, it works!)...

sigh. I suppose by the time we are faced with another trakhener I will have lost this lesson completely. Big guy is on stall rest with suspensory strain and I will be lucky to be out at any level next spring. sorry, random off-topic rant over.

Comment

Here you go:
                                http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/orde...6G3C0056&po=26
                                Amwrider: May the fleas of a thousand camels infest their genitalia and may their arms be too short to scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by asterix View Post
                                  sigh. I suppose by the time we are faced with another trakhener I will have lost this lesson completely. Big guy is on stall rest with suspensory strain and I will be lucky to be out at any level next spring. sorry, random off-topic rant over.

So sorry to hear that. Hope he heals quickly. I've nursed a couple of those and they came back fine. Just take your time with the rehab...and if needed, tranquilzers are useful (possibly for both of you) !

I can just see your guy measuring up that Trakhener.....I don't think you could ride him too forward to one! He is a cool boy....a real thinker. I'm sure he will be back at it.
                                  ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Comment

Originally posted by Invested1 View Post
                                    Thanks a lot! That doesn't look bad at all. This was the first trakehner I ever jumped... it was a big son of a gun for weenie me!! I almost crapped my pants.
                                    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1564560192

Comment

Have any of you trakehner fearing people seen the preliminary trakehner at The Fork? This spring they were at somewhat of an angle (I wish I had a picture), and you had a table before them, and had to make sure you got a good line, but they seemed decently sized to me and trakehners don't bother me at all. I'm curious about the one at Loudoun. I didn't think the trakehner at DRHT was big at all, and the one at Loch Moy isn't really big, but they usually use it in some sort of combination. For example, last fall it was the trakehner, and then you had about 3-4 strides to turn to a skinny.

For those of you who don't like trakehners, how do you feel about the ditch and brush type stuff? I hate those.
                                      http://www.huxleygreer.com
                                      http://520mpm09.blogspot.com
                                      http://morvencci.blogspot.com

Comment

Thanks a lot! That doesn't look bad at all. This was the first trakehner I ever jumped... it was a big son of a gun for weenie me!! I almost crapped my pants.
                                        http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1564560192

The jump isn't bad...it is the stone dust in front of it that has a lot of the horses backed off.

Comment

Working...
                                        X