• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Big name trainer clinics coming up near TN or KY?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big name trainer clinics coming up near TN or KY?

No farther than 4 hours from nashville. anyone know anything?
    *Paige*
    ~*It's not about the ribbons, but about the ride behind it"
    R.I.P. Teddy O'Connor

This won't help if you're wanting to ride, but if you want to audit there's a Jan Bynny clinic this weekend outside of Louisville.
    Emily

Comment

• Original Poster

This weekend is out for me, but thanks. Its a start.
      *Paige*
      R.I.P. Teddy O'Connor

Comment

You could always find a BNT and go to their place for a weekend of lessons instead. I've done that with Cathy Weischhoff -- drive down Saturday... do a lesson... stay in Lex overnight, do another lesson on Sunday... drive home. Actually cheaper than a "clinic".
        "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

Comment

in the same vein as tle, do you ride with or have you ridden with Bill Hoos? I really like his teaching style. He is an ICP certified instructor and is based near Nashville. Website, http://www.wil-lobluefarm.com
          OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Comment

• Original Poster

My friend bought a horse from him. Would it be beneficial t only do one or two lessons with someone? Would i learn like that?
            *Paige*
            R.I.P. Teddy O'Connor

Comment

I'd say that doing a lesson or two with a BNT would maybe even be better than a clinic considering that you're talking about 1 on 1 attention. You'd definitely learn a lot!!!

Comment

Originally posted by scubed View Post
                in the same vein as tle, do you ride with or have you ridden with Bill Hoos? I really like his teaching style. He is an ICP certified instructor and is based near Nashville. Website, http://www.wil-lobluefarm.com
                Eqsiu took lessons with him while working on her upper ratings for pony club and really liked him.
                Proud mom of a Chincoteague Pony

Comment

Indianapolis is probably beyond the 4 hours, but maybe you can conisder this Ian Stark clinic:

http://www.usea8.org/index.php?optio...onth=06&day=21

Comment

If you are in Nashville you are only 2 hours from Jim Graham! I lived at his place for 4 years and the drive up to Nashville was very nice and on a smaller hwy so it is not all interstate and crazy 18wheelers. Very scenic.

You will love lessons with him!!!!!!!

His website is www.meadowrunfarm.com
                    RIP Kid Gloves (Holly) 1992 TBxHanv CCI*** mare.
                    http://photobucket.com/tx3dayeventer/holly
                    New mare: Miss Bunny Express (Missy) 1995 AQHA Jumper mare.
                    http://photobucket.com/tx3dayeventer/missy

Comment

I'd second working with Jim Graham. Jim worked with me and had me in his "program" even though I could only get down there once every month or two. He's done that with several riders in the Nashville/Franklin area over the years.

Clinics around here seem to be a rare thing. Partly because using Percy Warner XC is financially prohibitive--they wany to make money even though most clinics barely break even. Only the Pony Club can officially bring in clinicians without a whopping park surcharge. The other possible is the Area III Adult Rider program, but it seems to be based out of the Atlanta area and just doesn't seem to do much here. (One local member volunteer to tried to get them to do some clinics up here a few years ago and their solution was to hook her up with someone in Knoxville seeming to not understand that Knoxville isn't much closer to us than Atlanta.) I'm a sometimes member and haven't done much in the last couple years so they still might be worth looking into.

Best bet for clinics would be to try to hook up with someone in the Lexington/Louisville area that could keep you in the loop as to what's going on up there.

Comment

www.mseda.org is the web site for Mid South Eventing and Dressage Assoc. The will have info on shows and clinics in KY.
                        When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

Comment

I agree that Jim Graham is another great choice, as is Debbie Crowley, www.cottonmeadowsfarm.com. Forgot how close Nashville is to their places in N. Alabama
                          Last edited by scubed; Jun. 10, 2008, 09:18 AM. Reason: correct URL
                          OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Comment

Nashville is probably 1.5 hours +- from Debi. I think she is about 30 minutes +- from Jim's. She is also AWESOME and just built a new indoor . She trains with Jim regularly she she would also be a good option. Her horses are great. I know, I bought my SuperMare from her years ago

Here is the correct link : http://www.cottonmeadowsfarm.com/index.htm for some reason scubed's link didn't work
                            RIP Kid Gloves (Holly) 1992 TBxHanv CCI*** mare.
                            http://photobucket.com/tx3dayeventer/holly
                            New mare: Miss Bunny Express (Missy) 1995 AQHA Jumper mare.
                            http://photobucket.com/tx3dayeventer/missy

Comment

I didn't even think about how close you are to Jim's. He's fantastic. I spent a week at his place when we moved up to Prelim and had a BLAST. Would do that again in a heartbeat.
                              "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

Comment

I'd love to go take some lessons with Bill with you, if you're interested. I went and watched him for a day last week and I think he has a lot to offer event riders. He does some exercises I've not seen used before and really seems to care- he asked me all about my horse even though I was just there to watch and offered some advice- without the typical "you should come lesson with me! we can work through it!" tangent I usually get. He said he would come up to me if I could get a group together, too.
                                Big Idea Eventing

Comment

sorry, but...

I'm so jealous! I just drove 10 hours (one way) to audit a clinic with David O'Connor. The nearest clinic I've ever been able to attend was a 6 hour drive. Sigh.

Enjoy it!
                                  --Becky in TX
                                  Clinic Blogs and Rolex Blogs
                                  She who throws dirt is losing ground.

Comment

I'll definitely add another for Jim. Amazing instructor. I can't say enough about him.

Also, I'm south of Lexington, so not only will I be keeping an eye on this for future reference, but I've also been tossing around the idea of organizing some clinics at our barn. I know that between the BO, myself, and some of her students, we may have enough riders to do one, but really, with clinics, the more the merrier, right? I've done some research on local instructors, but I've been hesitant to make the calls to find out who may be available, but if you're interested in coming this way (we're about 3 hours from Nashville) then let me know, and I can include you in plans that we make.

The biggest thing is that we don't really have XC. There are a few jumps, but nothing significant enough for a full XC lesson, and the land is limited, so while we may have hopes of building more, it still won't be a full XC.

Comment

• Original Poster

I would love to join you for a lesson with Bill. I e-mailed him on pricing, but never got a reply. What does he charge? Do you know? Anyway! Im very interested.
                                      *Paige*
                                      R.I.P. Teddy O'Connor

Comment

I *think* he charges $60/half hour... but I could be wrong. That said, when my friend rode with him, she rode for easily an hour, if not more, and only paid for 1/2 hour. I'll see if I can find out...
                                        Big Idea Eventing

Comment

Working...
                                        X