• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Windfall and Darren

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windfall and Darren

Windfall and Darren
    They totally proved themselves this weekend, don`t you think?
    Darren can deal with pressure about as well as anybody out there.
  • Original Poster

Windfall and Darren
    They totally proved themselves this weekend, don`t you think?
    Darren can deal with pressure about as well as anybody out there.

Comment

I'm with you rebecca... How can anyone question the merit of a horse who took the USET Spring Championship last year by placing 2nd at Foxhall, then the Pan Am gold last fall, and now the first **** modified division... his dressage was nearly flawless, XC the fastest he's ever run, and the show jumping almost without fault... To see him at the breeding seminar up close and personal really makes one appreciate his studliness ... Anyone else have any input??

I know there was some disagreement earlier on the board about his ability to run fast enough across country to satisfy the Athens selectors, but to be only 4 seconds over time in heavy going and having taken one long route? What more can you ask for?? I'd love some input as I think he's absolutely stunning

Of course, it has nothing to do with the fact that I have a Windfoal in the oven due any day now... *grins*...

Comment

Windfall is absolutely gorgeous! What a pair they make. Sends shivers down my spine! Congratulations to them both! Trakeventer - you MUST post pictures of your windfall baby once it gets here! I am thinking (when the time comes in a few years) of breeding my mare to him as well.

Comment

Rolex was the first time I got to see Windfall in person, and he is every bit as beautiful as I expected. Darren also seemed to do an excellent job with him through all 3 phases. I'm impressed and hope the team selectors are too.
          Oh how I wish I had a mare to breed. I'd love one of Windfall's babies!

Comment

His weaknesses seem to be his gallop and the water on XC (the ground was NOT that heavy -- a little in places, but in most areas was good to excellent. Look at the number of horses who made the time, and at the time that Winsome Adante posted). Chiacia whipped him through the head of the lake. If that's the only holes he has, pretty damned awesome. Clear in my mind that he and Winsome Adante are the top two candidates for the Olympic team. Will be very interesting to who else survives.

Comment

Agreed that Windfall looked impressive this week. I was at the Head of the Lake when he came blazing through in terrific form. Certainly no water issues with this horse right now! Windfall's form over the massive oxer just before the Head of the Lake was so specatuclar that the people all around me collectively "ooohed" in appreciation at the sight.

However - one minor note regarding Secreatriat's comment of Windfall's time vs. Windsome Adante - you can't compare the times of Windfall vs. Windsome Adante as they ran in separate divisions and Windfall had the shorter course to run.

Comment

They really have formed a great partnership now, haven't they!? By the way, they had Windfall t-shirts on sale at the Trak booth. I bought one for my neice. They say Windfall on the front and have a picture of them jumping on the back. It says something like "for now and for the future." Go Traks!!

“Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it.” Goethe
                Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

Comment

And just like the rider of Graf Georg should thank M. Poulin, he should thank Ingrid for the perfect training upon which the horse is based.

I.D.E.A. yoda
                  I.D.E.A. yoda

Comment

Well, I WAS impressed by how poised Windfall was during the awards ceremony. My theory is that he (Windfall) was probably busy dreaming about how many breeding contracts are coming his way now (yeah babyyyy! He, he!) But I also did see him get a "spanking" at the Head of the Lake. I don't think Darren wanted to take a chance on just "using his leg" to get him in the drink!

Comment

And how neat that Ballymar was the highest placing mare and won the booking to Windfall! As she is 3/4 TB, and he is at least 1/2 TB, I actually think that could be a great combination! I wonder if her owner will jump on the chance, now that she is retiring? I sure hope so! That would definitely perpetuate an impressive eventing sporthorse pedigree.

Robby

Dance and sing get up and do your thing ...

When blood is the beverage of choice, the sharpest fangs feed first.

Comment

BallyMar is the coolest. I wish Jim was around to see her ... or, no, to have ridden her.

Comment

"Look at the number of horses who made the time..."

Umm, according to my scoreboard, printed out from the Rolex site, only 5 horses went through that modified course with NO time penalties. Of the ones that HAD penalties, the smallest was .4 and the highest was 49.6.

So compared to the others that ran the exact same course, Windfall's 1.2 time penalties are nothing.

I'll second whoever said Windfall and Windsome Adante are at the top of the selectors lists...

And what is this about Ballymar winning a booking to Windfall? How was that worked?

Megan

Megan

"Tell her you loff her und that you don't nott to want to live with no other modder ever. If she don't nott to get the hint, start to cry und stamp your feets. If this it don't nott to work, buck." Willem
                          Megan

Comment

I was sitting beside Ballymar's owners, the Penniman's during dressage. We were in the Patron's tent and didn't realize at first who they were. By the middle of the test all of us were in tears. What a great and bittersweet weekend for them and a memorable Rolex moment for me.

Ballymar won a the booking with Windfall as the top placed mare. The Holcamps obviously donated it weeks/months ago. Coinciedent Windfall won.

I was impressed by Windfall this weekend. I think he's the perfect example of the ability of a warmblood to shine in the Modified format. I think if he stays sound he can be quite successful in Athens. However, it is a bit gushing to suggest his dressage was "nearly flawless." Lovely yes, flawless no. Given the choice of horses though, I'd pick Windsome Adante hands down.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by subk:
                              I was impressed by Windfall this weekend. I think he's the perfect example of the ability of a warmblood to shine in the Modified format. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK, I throw my ignorance out there for everyone to see, but I would think of Windfall (and a lot of Traks) as having a lot of TB/Arab breeding, and coming very close to the 3/4-7/8th TB that many eventers say is a nice horse for eventing, regular or modified. I confess I had a lot of time on my hands this week and read a great deal about this horse (who I think is spectacular). He is a great deal TB, and the Trak is a great deal TB/Arab (one of the reasons I like them so much). I personally have a hard time thinking of a Trakehner as a 'typical' WB.

But, I am just returning to this game of horses, please feel free to tear me a new one if I am incorrect. It was just my understanding that the Trakehner was a great eventing horse because of this?

"Dan the Man"
                              On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog

Comment

Um, I thought the Pingree's still owned Ballymar. They bred her. Can't imagine they would sell her to the Penniman's.

"I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with someone who is unarmed."--Pogo
                                \"I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with someone who is unarmed.\"--Pogo

Comment

Sorry, I got my "Pens" messed up. Thanks for the clarification.

Comment

A reminder to those not familiar with Windfall's pedigree. He is a Habicht son and Habicht had his own impressive Eventing career.

The "Arabian" in the background is NOT Arabian it is the purebred SHAGYA stallion, LAPIS. The SHAGYA is NOT an Arabian--it is its own 200 year old breed, a designer breed, created to add Arabian blood without the typical flaws often found in this breed.

Instead they set out to add larger bone, steady minds, greater height, everything positive found in the modern day sport horse. Purebred Arabian is added every 4th generation or so and is the only allowed outcross.

The breed is similar to the Trakehner, that only allows TB, OX or Shagya as outcross.

Windfall is typical of the Shagya temperament, the Hungarians demanded and it seems to pass on through several generations.

The true, purebred Shagya is very rare in the U.S. but in the past few years new bloodlines have been imported from Europe. Shagya stallions crossed on TB mares is an exceptional cross and gives you the Anglo-Shagya, the exact same cross that produced another well known stallion, Ramzes.

I was told that Windfall was called an Anglo-Trakehner. Just remember that the Arabian part is SHAGYA, very different then Arabian!!

www.shagyasport.com
                                    www.shagyasport.com

Comment

I watched them through the squirrel jump. They looked great compared to the many sticky rides I saw through there. I have followed this horse since Tim Holkamp sent me the email about his exciting trip to Germany and detailing the purchase of Windfall before the horse even came to the US.

Darren has done a marvelous job with him. Darren works very hard at everything and it is not suprising the success he has had. I don't know where he finds the energy. He is a true professional in every sense of the word.

On that note, does anyone know of any packages to Athens to see the three day???? Now I'm thinking I need to go watch in person in spite of the fact that I hate crowds.

-Painted Wings

Set youself apart from the crowd, ride a paint horse, you're sure to be spotted
                                      -Painted Wings

Set youself apart from the crowd, ride a paint horse, you're sure to be spotted

Comment

I'm with Porcelain Pony on this one, Windfall is the perfect example of what a Trakehner should look like. And while his Shagya background is certainly important, he does not resemble his Shagya ancestors as much as he does his black herd genes from Trakehnen. And that runs true for most Habicht offspring, and Habicht himself too. If you carefully evaluate all his sons, and daughters alike, you will come to notice that the genetic background of Goldregen and Polarstern carries the most significant dominance in this line, no matter how much TB/Shagya was crossed back on.

That is what really makes this line so very interesting in terms of breeding event horses with a high % of TB/Arab influence. I just had a Windfilly out of an English TB mare, and the filly is everything we had hoped for. Very athletic, bold, nicely put together and certainly a very obvious "Habicht" girl.

@ ideayoda,

I think you will notice that Ingrid's name is in every singel one of Tim Holekamp's paragraphs on this stallion. Fact is, he came with issues and his true CCI format was developed by Darren, and nobody else. Cudos to Ingrid for developing a great horse, and cudos to Darren for taking him up the ladder and onto the next level. It was not like he got on and everything was smooth and easy!

www.trakehners-international.com
                                        www.trakehners-international.com
                                        www.fontana-syndikat.de

Comment

Working...
                                        X