• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

How to properly mount your 17.3h horse!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to properly mount your 17.3h horse!

In case y'all wondered...

1. Place reins in left hand.
    2. Place left foot in left stirrup.
    3. Don't stop your horse when he sidesteps away, but
    4. Pull yourself up and somehow land behind the saddle.
    5. Be sure your right foot (strapped with a spur) lands near the flank.
    6. Don't get off quickly, but instead try to climb over into the saddle. When you've successfully made it halfway...
    7. Don't let go of the reins when he takes off bucking.

In all my years on a horse, I know better than this. How in heck I managed to end up behind the saddle is beyond me, but I did get halfway INTO it and managed to stay in the relative vicinity of the saddle for the first two bucks.

An impressive rodeo horse display ensued. I actually felt the reins snap out of my hand as I was flying through the air!

Damage: Left hand, left hip, right shin all sore.

Glad you are not seriously hurt.

Below is a pic of my efforts getting on a 14 hh gaited pony.

I led him up to a park bench and the second I swung my leg over him he turned 90 degrees and jumped the bench.

I do not know how I stayed on ,but I did.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater
    \"I have lived my life-it is nearly done-.I have played the game all round;But I freely admit that the best of my fun I owe it to Horse and Hound\".

Comment

Glad you are okay! This happened to me when trying to get on an OTTB one time. I started to swing my leg over and she bolted; I landed behind the saddle! Then of course she starts bucking. I couldn't get over the cantle because I had chosen to ride in my deep seat dressage saddle that day At some point, I tried to bail and ended up flat on my back. I broke my shoulder in the process. I now try to always use a mounting block.

Comment

Listen, I have mounted on the left only to end up on the ground on the right. Some things are just to glamourous.

Comment

glad you weren't hurt too bad. I on the other hand know how to dismount a 17.2 hh gelding when he jumps sideways and one rein decided to break (especially when your coach has told you several times to get new reins).

You land flat on your back - but only if you are wearing a vest.

Comment

Using a mounting block, put left foot in stirrup and swung my right leg over - then got a muscle spasm and landed in a heap on the right side.

Right in front of the Joint Masters. Yay for me.

Put horse in a ditch (out hunting), to remount. Horse jumped out of ditch as I was again, swinging my right leg over. Hilarity ensued. (from what I was told - I was too busy cursing the day the horse was born)

Oh - and always tighten your own girth. Just sayin'.

OP - I'm impressed you can mount that behemoth from the ground. I've got a 17.2h horse and I'd probably end up in traction if I tried it.
            Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
            Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
            -Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by snoopy View Post
              Listen, I have mounted on the left only to end up on the ground on the right. Some things are just to glamourous.
              Aw, snoops... it's not glamorous unless someone is around to see it.

And let me tell you, being the only ENGLISH rider (Eventing? what is THAT?) in a barn full of barrel racers, calf ropers and team penners...falling off your horse before you even get on doesn't help the reputation. There was a nice older gentleman in the arena that asked if I was ok. Then asked if I was SURE I was ok. And then if I needed help with anything, and was I really sure I was OK? As I was trying to get the now-traumatized beast to stand still and spitting out the dirt I ate.

Add to the list of injuries a sore left (upper) arm, and the most ridiculous looking scrape on my left cheek.

I was just pleased there wasn't any dirt inside my pants, this time.

Comment

These are great. I always use a mounting block (car bumper, tack trunk, something) as I could not possible get on from the ground. I used a mounting block to get on a friend's minus 15h horse and nearly flung myself off the other side. Also nearly jarred my teeth loose jumping down from the same horse, the ground came up way to fast!
                Nina's Story
                Epona Comm on FB

Comment

Originally posted by Heinz 57 View Post
                  Aw, snoops... it's not glamorous unless someone is around to see it.

And let me tell you, being the only ENGLISH rider (Eventing? what is THAT?) in a barn full of barrel racers, calf ropers and team penners...falling off your horse before you even get on doesn't help the reputation. There was a nice older gentleman in the arena that asked if I was ok. Then asked if I was SURE I was ok. And then if I needed help with anything, and was I really sure I was OK? As I was trying to get the now-traumatized beast to stand still and spitting out the dirt I ate.

Add to the list of injuries a sore left (upper) arm, and the most ridiculous looking scrape on my left cheek.

I was just pleased there wasn't any dirt inside my pants, this time.

Oh it was seen...very much seen.

Comment

• Original Poster

Did I mention last night also happened to be the first time I've ridden in a saddle since... mid June?

Yes. Heinz rides for three months with no saddle and stays on just fine. Saddle comes out, and I fall off.

I went back to the bareback pad.

Comment

Bareback variation...

As far as I knew horse had never been ridden bareback.
                      Only one way to find out if he will cooperate.

*Place 17h+ horse next to too-short (2-step) mounting block.

*Rider-of-a-certain-age attempts to gracefully bellyover first to make sure there is an Escape Route.
                      Thanks gods there is noone else in the arena.

*No major reaction, so Grace is thrown to the winds & I scramble onboard.

*Horse - who has stood rock-solid for the above, Bless his heart - now begins to vibrate beneath me & teleports himself 3' to the right.
                      I deposit myself in the sand 3' to the left & about 5' down.

This was 5 years ago & my beloved Cash did let me ride bareback after this initial sortie.

Now I have Sam - also 17h+ - and being just that much older, I have yet to road-test his barebackability.

At least not without someone else to:
                      A) hold him
                      B) dial 911
                      It's a loooooooooooooong way down.
                      *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
                      Steppin' Out 1988-2004
                      Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
                      Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

Comment

Snoopy, you'll love this one. I was working at Bill Smith's yard in England, a mix of racehorses, field and show hunters. I had to exercise a middle-weight hunter that was all of 17.3hh (I couldn't believe this qualified as "middle-weight") and had to ride him in a double bridle as they thought I would be too small to control him (5'3"). Generally I got a leg up or found a mounting block, but one day I was told to bring him to the outdoor manege as someone was coming to look at him... that someone being David Tatlow. There was no mounting block there! I thought it would be pretty undignified to sidle him up to the fence, climb the fence and get on, so I got on from the ground... a very long way! I managed to keep it from looking too unglamourous, thankfully!

Since then I have neither ridden a horse so big, nor felt the need to prove (again) that I can get on from the ground!
                        Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Comment

Ouchy! Glad you are in good spirits and not more injured!!!! (And thanks for the laughs...these stories make me feel much better about my attempts to mount my 17.2 horse without a mounting block-note that I say "attempts" because none of them have ever been successful hehe)

Comment

me= short, horse= 17.3

Align horse with mobile home steps that serve as mounting block.

Still reach UPPPP for stirrup.

Take highest "short" ladder with me for "al fresco" mounts.

Never, never fall off, much less "get off" before absolutely necessary.

Long term project- teach horse to bow ( thus becoming 14 hands at withers)

Comment

Thanks for the PSA as I look forward to getting my 17.1 mare back from Mom duty
                              Epona Farm
                              Irish Draughts and Irish Draught Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

Comment

Just to save someone else from this embarrasment - it is NOT a good idea to routinely use an upside down empty muck bucket for your mounting block -

It may seem a good idea for awhile, but at some point the plastic on the bottom of the muck bucket declares it was not designed for this kind of stress, so it gives out and you end up standing beside your horse with one leg wearing a muck bucket - and of course it will happen at something like an event with lot's of your idols riding by.

Comment

Just a PSA along these lines: never, no matter your agility or the horse's general trustworthiness, attempt to mount a steed of such proportions in the hunt field without someone holding said horse's bridle...particularly if you stopped to help an injured rider and the rest of the field has left the vicinity.

Otherwise you may (just hypothetically) end up returning to consciousness while getting the 2nd CAT scan of the day.

Just sayin'. Apparently even trustworthy horses don't think much of being used for rock-climbing practice in such conditions.
                                  Custom and semi-custom washable wool felt saddle pads!
                                  http://www.etsy.com/shop/PellMellFeltPads

Comment

Originally posted by Blugal View Post
                                    Snoopy, you'll love this one. I was working at Bill Smith's yard in England, a mix of racehorses, field and show hunters. I had to exercise a middle-weight hunter that was all of 17.3hh (I couldn't believe this qualified as "middle-weight") and had to ride him in a double bridle as they thought I would be too small to control him (5'3"). Generally I got a leg up or found a mounting block, but one day I was told to bring him to the outdoor manege as someone was coming to look at him... that someone being David Tatlow. There was no mounting block there! I thought it would be pretty undignified to sidle him up to the fence, climb the fence and get on, so I got on from the ground... a very long way! I managed to keep it from looking too unglamourous, thankfully!

Since then I have neither ridden a horse so big, nor felt the need to prove (again) that I can get on from the ground!

You must admit that some of the funniest moments to do with horses is mounting. I have wet myself laughing watching people mount...on many occasions. It can be very funny.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy View Post
                                      You must admit that some of the funniest moments to do with horses is mounting. I have wet myself laughing watching people mount...on many occasions. It can be very funny.
                                      I attended college at Randolph-Macon Woman's College in VA, (when it was still a woman's college!) and we had a lovely mounting area with 4 nice solid blocks that we used to get on comfortably every day.

One day, in preparation for hosting intercollegiates the next day, we found to our surprise that all the blocks had been moved to the lower ring.

Oh the horror! Watch a dozen supposedly skilled riders look in dismay at their humungous mounts. Our instructor was NOT impressed, and refused to let us walk the horses down to the arena to start the lesson -

OMG that was a disaster! Some girls seemed to forget entirely how to mount from the ground. Such an epic struggle it was Merciless instructor started leading group down the trail while several students were only partly on - one clung to the side of her horse half way down the hill.

(Note these were in the days that full blinged out chaps were cool, so that made mounting from the ground even harder!)

I was fortunate to have one of the shortest mounts - I'd often longed to be on one of the huge TB's in the barn but that day I was quite happy with my little Appy!

Thanks for bringing up the memory

Comment

My favorite mounting story is when I was a kid. I had my left foot up in the stirrup and the horse (something tall) stepped on my right foot. I couldn't get enough leverage to push the horse off my foot, or to get my left foot back out of the stirrup. Since the footing was soft I just let myself fall back into it, stood up, pushed the horse off my foot, and got on.

To this day I have no idea why I didn't just call "Help" across the arena. I suspect I may have and no one heard me, since I was basically yelling into the horse's side
                                        Last edited by Desert Topaz; Sep. 1, 2011, 08:58 PM. Reason: Confused my feet
                                        Pam's Pony Place

Pam's Pony Ponderings

Comment

Working...
                                        X