• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Ecogold Memory Foam half pad?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ecogold Memory Foam half pad?

Anyone use one of these? I am looking for feedback and haven't found many reviews so far...

My horse has the lovely dip behind the withers issue, as well as having a slight curve to his back. I love my Black Country Quantum but having been using a Fleeceworks with it and would like something that offers more protection and can help fill in small gaps better.

Have also considered the Ogilvy pad which is similar.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    No Trouble
    2/2/05 - 7/29/13
    Rest In Peace my quirky brave boy, I will love you forever.

Yes! I have a short-coupled horse and I am a tall, long-thighed rider, and no matter how many times/how often I get saddles fit to him we just are built funny for eachother, and he would always get pressure points sort of just behind his withers with his jump saddle. The Ecogold pad works great! no more pressure points and his trot and jump are much happier and floatier. I highly recommend it.

Comment

Oh, and also forgot to add that I have a student on a tight budget that tried to get her old saddle fit to her new horse- it sort of worked, but wasn't really a perfect fit. The horse got a little sore- we tried the Ecogold pad on him and same results- much happier back, no soreness. She is borrowing my pad until she can save up to buy a saddle that fits up properly, and so far, it's working out great- so great, she's considering scrapping the buy a new saddle plan and just getting an ecogold pad for herself!

Comment

I have to admit....my dressage saddle does not quite fit my horse properly. I know this, but horse has been for sale, and I didn't see the point in buying another dressage saddle just to fit him, when he could be gone at any moment.

He had been a little back sore from the dressage saddle, so after getting him chiro & massaged, I switched to riding dressage in my jump saddle, which does fit him well and he was comfortable. But dressage in a jump saddle =

I bought the Eco Gold 1/2 pad during their fundraiser for Boyd Martin. Tried it with my dressage saddle - and he's been great! NO soreness or discomfort of any kind, and he has periodic massages/chiro adjustments and nothing has been found out of place with his back since using the Eco Gold pad. And I get to ride dressage in a dressage saddle. Woo hoo!

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks guys!

breakthru, my horse is very short coupled also, so saddle fit has been very fun since I got him in March glad to hear that the pad has worked for you and your student. Have you had luck finding a dressage saddle that works for your horse's back?

Lisa, I have been dressaging in my jump saddle since I don't feel that my current dressage saddle fits him well and I HATE IT!!!! Would be so happy to be able to use it again!!

I am definitely going to give the Ecogold pad a try...and there are no used ones to be had anywhere, so I think that's a good sign
          No Trouble
          2/2/05 - 7/29/13
          Rest In Peace my quirky brave boy, I will love you forever.

Comment

I've been thinking about getting an ecogold pad with the wither riser option, or a thinline hald pad with riser options. (I have a TB with shark fin withers and I can't get any saddle to fit correctly.)

Any thoughts on ecogold vs. thinline anyone?

Comment

Ok, out of curiosity I pulled up their ad and for some reason the demo part cracked me
              up. . .

I wanted to go out, rent an old Dean Martin film and eat M&Ms while watching it.

Seriously, it looks like a good pad.
              RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

Comment

I have a regular (but ancient) TL, an ultra TL, and an Ecogold half pad (purchased during the Boyd Martin fundraiser). My curvy backed, high withered Appendix went noticeably better in the ancient TL, so I "upgraded" to the ultra TL when I found one at a steal of a deal. Used that for a year or so and while it was great, we really needed a bit more wither padding for my jump saddle as it sat just a little low in front (after 2 custom flockings no less) so I was using a saddle pad, ultra TL, 1 mattes shim on each side of the withers, and then the saddle on top. This worked ok, but getting the shims even was a chore, but I've been to cheap to invest in the TL trifecta that is shimmable.

Since I bought the EG half pad this past summer, I've only used my TL once and frankly, I don't think I'll go back there. He's soooooo happy in the EG and my saddle fits MUCH better than it ever has. I'll keep my TL and use it when I ride flatter backed horses as the EG does have a good curve to it, but I'm really happy with the EG as is my gelding.
                Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

Comment

I've been looking at these pads myself. So do you use the wither riser pads with the half pad? Or do those just go with the full pads? Is the half pad enough to lift the front of the saddle if the horse has some dip behind the withers?

Comment

Just wanted to note, bought a regular Ecogold pad recently and it is fantastic. I've done a lot of emailing w/ the company and John and Patricia are phenomenal and are really going out of their way to work with me and make sure I end up with what works perfectly for me. I'm ditching the ThinLine because it doesn't breathe AT ALL. My horse is very happy with the Ecogold and so am I.
                    Life doesn't have perfect footing.

Bloggily entertain yourself with our adventures (and disasters):
                    We Are Flying Solo

Comment

Hey Carried Away - I bought the EG half pad because I got a killer deal on mine off Ebay, and I was looking to fix the same problem you have - TB type of build, slightly curvy back, hollows behind withers, and I also have a Black Country jumping saddle (mine is a Tex Eventer). My saddle was professionally by my friend, who suggested that I use a halfpad just to raise it slightly off his back so that the wither clearance was better. Before my EG, I had been on the hunt searching for a half pad that would work and not alter the otherwise-perfect fit. I tried a Saddle Right pad (too much bulk, left dry spots), a THinline (dry spots, but better), Correct pad (no dry spots but shot out the front of the saddle), and my barn owner's fleeceworks half pad (dry spots). After getting slightly panicky and thinking that I might just have to bite the bullet and deal with the dry spots in the Thinline, I watched the video of the M&Ms and was sold. I figured I could always resell it if it didn't work. Lo and behold, no dry spots, and great cushioning. I am in LOVE with my Ecogold half pad and use it on a regular basis and it doesn't seem to change the way my saddle fits at all, but it does give me the lift I need (without the wither riser pads). It's a great pad!
                      "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

So, the Zen Buddhist says to the hotdog vendor, "Make me one with everything."

Comment

my question about the memory foam in the ecogold pad is how long do they last? I know in the foam vs. wool saddle flocking debate when the foam and wool "die" only the wool can be re-stuffed to fit your horse

So does the memory foam in the saddle pad last longer than a couple years? And when/if it does die does it still provide protection because of the other layers?

I know with thinline their product lasts forever (or seem to so far!) And i think the newer TL products are breathable (or that is what they say on their website). I know I've been very happy with my cotton ultra TL 1/2 pad b/c it's not bulky (I hate super bulky things- I feel like its like trying to stuff a sleeping bag in a really small bag- something squishy eventually turns into a rock- and I don't want my saddle to become rock like on my horse's back!) and I don't feel like it makes my horse extra sweaty- actually today with just a light lounge he wasn't even sweaty on his back where the pad sits- just in his girth and saddle flap area and where the bridle was.

Though i do have to say the Ecogold pad has some great advertisement and I'm sure it does work (success stories only happen with great products!!) But I just wonder about how long it's life span might be... Anyone have a thought???
                        proud owner of a very pretty but completely useless horse (and one useful horse!)

Horse Thoughts

Comment

I can't speak for how long the foam will last, but I keep it stored on top of my saddle after use, so that it's not being compressed anywhere. I figure that can only help it's longevity.

The EG was sufficient that I didn't need a wither riser pad and for that, I'm very grateful. The one drawback that I've found is that it can "muffle" some of the close contact feel. So if you're an UL dressage rider, you're probably not going to like it (or so says my dressage trainer). That said, I'm very much not an UL anything and my horse LOVES it, so I'm totally sold. When I have the extra cash, I'll gladly buy the matching saddle pad for underneath.
                          Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

Comment

So... let's say I need to use a pad to accomodate fit a slightly-too-wide to a horse that is currently developing over the topline. Normally, I would use a correction pad (Thinline sheepskin) with shims for this job. Is the consensus that a *good-quality* (Ecogold, T-Form) memory foam pad would work just as well?

And how do these pads compare to Ultra Thinline, for those who use it for the rider's back?
                            If we have to nail on talent, it's not talent.
                            Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous

Comment

Anyone who is upgrading to an Ecogold half pad...

I will buy your thinline half pad! (But I want one that can accommodate inserts, so the trifecta or comfort half pad I guess)

Comment

LLong, PMed
                                www.tabeventing.com
                                http://www.tracey-eventblog.blogspot.com/

"A canter is a cure for every evil." - Benjamin Disraeli

Comment

Originally posted by pattnic View Post
                                  So... let's say I need to use a pad to accomodate fit a slightly-too-wide to a horse that is currently developing over the topline. Normally, I would use a correction pad (Thinline sheepskin) with shims for this job. Is the consensus that a *good-quality* (Ecogold, T-Form) memory foam pad would work just as well?

And how do these pads compare to Ultra Thinline, for those who use it for the rider's back?
                                  For a slightly too wide, but overall fit is good, I think you might be fine. If you had a saddle that was just perfect for the horse, the EG might make it a smidge narrow. Again, this is just my opinion and I could be totally off base.

As far as the riders back, I don't notice a difference between the TL/ultra TL, EG. I don't ever ride w/o anything unless I'm bareback, so I can't weigh in there, but haven't noticed any new problems since I switched to the EG. Except that my saddle fits better and my horse is happier, rounder, more floaty, etc.

Comment

Well, my Thinline sheepskin, half pad with shims just fell apart today. I was brushing the dried sweat areas and a big square ripped out.

I have owned it for about three years. Since I use it with my jumping saddle, I only used it several times per month with three months off in the Winter. Mostly, I use my fleeceworks sheepskin dressage saddle pad, which I have had longer and used more.

Has anyone else had their sheepskin Thinline just fall apart?

Does anybody know of any sales on the EcoGold?
                                    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

Comment

It seems like that is quite different uses for the Ecogold and Thinline pads. I have the Thinline Contour and like it for several reasons, one being that it's thin enough to not change the fit of my saddle. My dressage saddle fits my horse perfectly, but I like a little something extra between a pad and the saddle. The Thinline provides enough shock absorption that my horse's jarring trot is easier to sit and I can only imagine it's easier on his back (not just my lack of flopping around, but if it's doing that much for me, then it may be for him as well). My jump saddle is ever so slightly off in fit, so I put the Thinline then a sheepskin half pad overtop. I took the Ultra Thinline on trial and didn't like it. My saddle is only a 16.5" and the Ultra Thinline was barely large enough. I also didn't find it made a difference for me or my horse. The Contour has more coverage and is slightly thicker, but not so thick that it takes the close contact feel away.

The Ecogold and other memory foam pads (Olgivy, etc) seem to be used mostly for correction of saddle fit. Personally, I don't like memory foam as a pad unless it's for minimal corrections - it squishes down and then what? You're left with a smushed piece of foam. In my opinion, foam only does it's job when there is dynamic pressure and it has time to compress/decompress. Ie, pressure on and off, such as a sleeping person tossing and turning on a matress or the hammer in the Ecogold video. I'd like to see them drop something heavy on the pad and leave it there without the M&M being damaged.

Comment

I use an Equalizer memory foam pad--actually I have several. There were recommended to me many years ago and I ordered one. At the time I was bringing back my upper level eventer from a minor tendon injury and could only walk him under saddle. After a week of this my rear was getting sore. The pad came in and I put it on my horse and by the time I got to the end of the driveway riding in it, I said OMG! WOW! I could tell the difference. I have used them ever since!!

Don't know anything about the Ecogold ones.

Carried Away: you can change your horse's dip in the back by doing back lifts! It is often just a postural thing but also related to back and saddle fit issues. Just because a horse in low in the back doesn't mean it has to be!

Not that hard to change it permanently!

Comment

Working...
                                        X