• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Re-Introducing Lateral work.. circles or longsides?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-Introducing Lateral work.. circles or longsides?

So Lad and I are still knocking the rust layers off and it feels like he is very body stiff. Chiro has been called. We're waiting for an appointment.

In an effort to work on this I have been trying to re-introduce leg yielding and general bend in his body to get him more flexible. I have done the circles in and out at walk and trot. And this was ok. Longsides were not good. I am thinking that at some point we have to dive in and work on longsides more to bring the skills back up. And to paint a clear picture, I have only asked him to yield to the rail from about the quarter line. And he gets sticky and breaks to a walk and then will yield over. He will hold the trot sometimes but he's kind of dying in his tempo and ultra focusing on "Oh I have to step over." I believe I am losing my outside "forward thrust" leg a bit as I am telling him to yield which would cause this.

Here's another small dilemma, at the same time I have been schooling him at home without spurs, but with a dressage whip to start getting the respect back for my actual leg. And to get the strength back in my leg. So when I ask for a yield away he's still a little slow on the uptake. Should I break down and bring the spurs back or stick with it?

Does anyone have any great exercises for this?

Remember that even when he was in "full training" I don't think we got very far down the lateral work road. I know he could do leg yields, shoulder in, turn on haunches and forehand, but that's where we stopped. And that was 4 years ago. So he does need a second go round with these skills.

Thanks for any and all advice.

~Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

My go-to bending exercise are "wiggly worms", or in classier dressage terms, 10m half circles. Not exactly lateral work, but if you're looking for him to start respescting your leg again, which I definitely went through this spring, it's a great exercise. Just get a nice trot down the long rail and do a 10m half circle to the center line, one or two strides of straightness to change bend and start moving off the new inside leg, and then a half circle back to the rail. This helped my guy so much.

Another thing to try when doing leg-yields is start off on centerline with a nice forward trot and begin your leg yield, and when you hit quarter line or if he starts losing impulsion, throw in a 10-15m circle in the direction of your bend to push him off the inside leg and gain more impulsion. This also works with shoulder-ins on the long rail.

Hope that helps at least a little bit!

Comment

One of my favourite exercises is to do a weave through cones down the long side. Space the cones out farther to start off, then as it gets easier, move the cones closer together. Using the same cones, leg-yield through the cones, asking for a few steps at a time, but having to straighten and then leg-yield in the other direction through the cones, instead of bending around them like in the previous exercise.

Another favourite of mine is starting on centreline and leg yield over, but ask for one stride, then straighten, two strides, straighten, three strides, straighten etc. until you run out of space. Again, with this exercise it helps get the horse listening to both legs, and isn't a lot of leg-yield all at once.

Hope these exercises help!
      All that is gold does not glitter;
      Not all those who wander are lost.
      ~J.R.R. Tolkien
      http://theimperfectperfecthorse.blogspot.com/

Comment

It sounds like, from what you said about carrying a dressage whip and how he "dies" in his tempo in the leg yields, that he needs more respect of your leg before you're going to get too far on the lateral work.

Ride lots of figures (circles, half circles, serpentines, change of rein over the diagonal or across the centerline, etc) and keep him in front of your leg before you focus too much on the lateral work; it won't progress very well until the "forward" happens instantly and consistently.

That said, you mentioned bringing the spur back... will he go forward and do lateral work without you having to use spur, so the spur is your back-up for when you need it, or will he only do those things when you use the spur? I ride my OTTB in spurs, not so much because he needs it, but because I can give a more refined, lighter aid with it and I have it as a back up. If I needed to use it every time, I'd be going back to basics and working on his respect for my leg.

As far as the stiffness, have you tried riding a lot of stretchy circles? Those (in addition to the chiro, which you said is scheduled) helped my guy get loose a lot (he was tense, not stiff though).

Hope that helps a little
        Trying a life outside of FEI tents and hotel rooms.

Comment

well, honestly, all that is fine and great.

but leg yield is a basic obedience exercise. It's not really lateral work. it's "hey horsie, stay straight and get off my inside leg".

Lateral work exercises the horse's bend through the ribs and moving of the haunch. Some high school trainers don't even consider shoulder-in true lateral work because the haunch does not change.

that all being said:

sometimes, one rude discussion is more effective than days of lightly asking a horse to move over.

horsie goes from, "I don't wanna, I don't wanna" to, "oh, my bad--I'll gladly move over when you ask.

Leg yield is too remedial to have to discuss. In fact, if one of my kids comes out and resists a simple quarter line leg yield I sternly tell them to quite wasting my time--which gives them a lil wake up call and we can move on to the day's work.

as for lateral work on the circle. I have never liked it because I guess I suck and can't do it properly. I have a hard time organizing myself for lateral work on the circle so I have always resisted.

Then I was watching an Anky symposium and Stef said that we spend so much time trying to make the horses straight and then people do shoulder in on the circle which make no sense. He said, and I quote: "shoulder in on the circle is like killing someone".
          LMAO!
          That made my day.
          So I find that my reasoning must be correct. hahaha!!
          http://kaboomeventing.com/
          http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
          Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Comment

I, for one, love shoulder-in on the circle. It's a very good way to teach it to a horse. Switching between SI and HI on the circle is a good education in lateral movements, and very suppling. Beyond that, I'd say that you should work on your seat position. While they are quite nice for maintaining a forward tack, whether or not you're wearing spurs should have little bearing on his ability to perform the lateral movements. If he understands leg yield, it's time for SI. Use the whip/spurs to keep him forward, but use your seat to explain the movement.
            "Rock n' roll's not through, yeah, I'm sewing wings on this thing." --Destroyer
            http://dressagescriblog.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by purplnurpl View Post
              Then I was watching an Anky symposium and Stef said that we spend so much time trying to make the horses straight and then people do shoulder in on the circle which make no sense. He said, and I quote: "shoulder in on the circle is like killing someone".

Huh. I think shoulder in on a circle is a great suppling exercise. It really engages the inside hind leg and increases the horse's collection.

Maybe they said that because they don't really focus on the hind end. Cranking the horse's neck in from front to back seems to be one of the only things they care about. And I guess if you've got a fancy moving horse that's all you need to win nowadays.

Em, it does sound like he is laterally stiff. Check out my latest article on exercises to improve your horse's suppleness. I would do some large, slow turns on the forehand, and nose to the wall leg yield (where the wall or fence aids you) initially until he gets more supple.

http://www.MyVirtualEventingCoach.com
              Facebook page
              Last edited by lstevenson; Aug. 9, 2011, 01:12 PM.
              http://www.MyVirtualEventingCoach.com

Comment

I agree with purpl as far as "sometimes, one rude discussion is more effective than days of lightly asking a horse to move over".

I was having some leg-yield issues a few weeks ago, and my coach was incredulous that I had let it become an issue. She immediately instituted 10 minutes of full pass at the walk as part of our every day warm-up. Within two days, my trot leg-yields were up to par for my dressage test (fairly steep, they were K-X and F-X in trot).
                Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Comment

• Original Poster

Blugal sent you a Pm.

~Emily
                  "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Comment

Working...
                  X