• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Breastplate question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breastplate question

I need to get a breastplate for Jake but I've seen so many styles I don't really know where to go! I know he doesn't need a 5-point, but what exactly is the difference between those with the bridge and those without? Is one more appropriate for eventing? The reason I ask is because I found a beautiful CWD breastplate that does not have the bridge. Most I've seen, unless they were the elastic type, have the bridge, so I'm just not sure if, even though the CWD is lovely, it's the best purchase. I'd love to hear from some tack gurus

The conundrum.

The Woff likes the old fashioned breastplate that runs straight around the chest back to the girth. It stays level trhough out the jump and keeps the saddle from slipping back. The hunting breastplate attaches high up, by the saddle dees. It will push the points of the tree down into the horse and flip the back of the saddle up.

The 5 point attempts to mix the 2 types. I think it is neither fish nor fowl as it doesn't have the advantages of each. I would like to see a straight around breastplate with 2 straps at rings that can attach higher on the saddle to keep the breastplate hanger from sliding forward when the horse puts his head down.

I worry that elastic inserts will give at the wrong time and the amount of stretch will be variable as the elastic weakens.

I will probably have a prototype made and play with it. It would be easy to just pick up the breastplate straps at a tack shop and tweak it myself.
    Intermediate Riding Skills

Comment

• Original Poster

Hmmm. The one in question looks like this: http://www.diamondbfarm.com.au/breastplates.html

I think it still attaches to the dees?

Comment

The types like what you have pictured, I don't really find to be very effective for anything other than looking pretty. I use a polo breastcollar and it WORKS. Keeps the saddle in place without restricting motion (mine is elastic, not very expensive, but has held up beautifully over the last couple years). There is a reason you still see a lot of this older style around -- remember, function first, pretty second.
        Life doesn't have perfect footing.

Bloggily entertain yourself with our adventures (and disasters):
        We Are Flying Solo

Comment

Where does it attach? It looks like it is a hunter breastplate, but I'm confused by the extra end pieces.
          Intermediate Riding Skills

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by wildlifer View Post
            The types like what you have pictured, I don't really find to be very effective for anything other than looking pretty. I use a polo breastcollar and it WORKS. Keeps the saddle in place without restricting motion (mine is elastic, not very expensive, but has held up beautifully over the last couple years). There is a reason you still see a lot of this older style around -- remember, function first, pretty second.
            The hunter in me is clawing to sneak in.

As long as it works and is nice quality, I don't really care where it's from. The one thing my trainer mentioned is that she doesn't like the elastic jumper breastplates. I had no idea there were so many kinds!

Comment

Hahahahaha! Well, mine is all elastic across the front, which I do like, but you might like the one that Bit of Britain sells. My BO has this one and it's really lovely and a quality piece of tack. It does have some elastic, but it's heavy duty stuff, even more so than what I have and the leather is very nice.

http://www.bitofbritain.com/Nunn_Fin...ate_p/0059.htm

As for the one you posted, yes, it would still attach to your dees and to the girth. It just has a running martingale attached to it.
              Life doesn't have perfect footing.

Bloggily entertain yourself with our adventures (and disasters):
              We Are Flying Solo

Comment

My preference is the hunt breastplate - for one because you can grab the yoke with a finger for security - and doing that also has the effect of slowing many horses down when they get wound up - not sure why, but it works. Also my horses have fit a hunt style nicely and it works on them.

Get dee savers so you can attache to your stirrup bars, or if you get long enough straps you can attach it to the billets. Depends on how it fits the horse.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Hilary View Post
                  My preference is the hunt breastplate - for one because you can grab the yoke with a finger for security - and doing that also has the effect of slowing many horses down when they get wound up - not sure why, but it works. Also my horses have fit a hunt style nicely and it works on them.

Get dee savers so you can attache to your stirrup bars, or if you get long enough straps you can attach it to the billets. Depends on how it fits the horse.
                  Other than Nunn Finer, do you have any specific brand recommendations?

Thanks for all the advice!

Comment

I like the amigo I have, no yoke. Also like, but don't love Nunn Finer and have been impressed with paris tack for price. The five star tack one is also really nice.
                    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Comment

I use something similar to what you linked to for every day on Vernon. It does an adequate job of keeping things in place for every day kind of work, however for REAL xc, big jumping, or lots of terrain (like when I take him on hunt trail rides, etc), I prefer a polo style breastplate (and that's what I use on Toby day in, day out). Those are my choice. Hunting breastplate my second. I tend to think 5 points are redundant and unnecessary, but that's just me.
                      Amanda

Comment

Originally posted by wildlifer View Post
                        BAM!!
                        this is the only kind I will use.

breastplate: old fashioned that attaches to girth via between the front legs, saddle via Ds, and has a bridge.
                        http://www.theequine.co.uk/users/Use...es/hunting.jpg

breast collar: polo breast collar. attaches to the girth just above the girth billets on your saddle pad. It has a bridge.
                        http://www.horseoncourse.com/index.p...5&currency=USD

I find it a little funny when people fail to use the girth billets for this type of equipment. They end up with the attachments too far down the girth and then it pulls down on the horse's shoulder.
                        please, use the girth billets!!!!

here is an example. The straps attach above the girth billet to the girth. They need to use the whole girth to work well, not just one strap from a split strap girth.
                        http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...ivingrein2.jpg

breast girth: attaches to the Ds. I hate this one extra specailly much.
                        It has no bridge.
                        http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_X1-0903

and then there are the combination equipments such as the 5 point.
                        Which I hated as well. It was a lot of gingerbread bouncing around on my horse. It was really distracting for me!

I buy the Courbette collars.
                        NO Elastic.
                        Elastic is another one of my pet peeves. I find it kills the whole point of the tack.
                        http://kaboomeventing.com/
                        http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
                        Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Comment

Breastgirth WITH the detachable wither/neck/bridge strap is the best

I am so glad to see this being discussed!

So many people use breastplates without any real thought to WHY they are using them and HOW COMFORTABLE it is for the horse, and the EFFECT/IMPACT it has.

I only believe in one style of breastgirth, and it is the one shown on Bit of Brittain, also known as a Polo Breastcollar, Breastgirth, and Jumper Breastplate.

BUT - I only believe in using it at the GIRTH and WITH a neck strap/wither strap/bridge.

Purple...question for you. Why would you hate this one? This is the exact same style you like - you just have to have the WITHER STRAP (usually sold seperately) You can attach this one to the girth, the way you like, and add your wither/neck strap and it is perfect:

"breast girth: attaches to the Ds. I hate this one extra specailly much.
                          It has no bridge.

"

I don't even use any kind of breastplate unless it is absolutely neccessary. If you are jumping HUGE jumps and your saddle slips, then by all means, use one

I normally don't use one at all - but I do have this one for schooling XC, if I go above BN/N level....

Originally posted by purplnurpl View Post
                          BAM!!
                          this is the only kind I will use.

breastplate: old fashioned that attaches to girth via between the front legs, saddle via Ds, and has a bridge.
                          http://www.theequine.co.uk/users/Use...es/hunting.jpg

breast collar: polo breast collar. attaches to the girth just above the girth billets on your saddle pad. It has a bridge.
                          http://www.horseoncourse.com/index.p...5&currency=USD

I find it a little funny when people fail to use the girth billets for this type of equipment. They end up with the attachments too far down the girth and then it pulls down on the horse's shoulder.
                          please, use the girth billets!!!!

here is an example. The straps attach above the girth billet to the girth. They need to use the whole girth to work well, not just one strap from a split strap girth.
                          http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...ivingrein2.jpg

breast girth: attaches to the Ds. I hate this one extra specailly much.
                          It has no bridge.

and then there are the combination equipments such as the 5 point.
                          Which I hated as well. It was a lot of gingerbread bouncing around on my horse. It was really distracting for me!

I buy the Courbette collars.
                          NO Elastic.
                          Elastic is another one of my pet peeves. I find it kills the whole point of the tack.
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          Equine & Pet Portrait Artist
                          www.elainehickman.com
                          **Morgans Do It All**

Comment

• Original Poster

Purplnurpl: Thanks so much! That really helps to clarify... I had no clue how much variety was out there!

Fancy That: Are there any stores other than Bit of Britain that you would recommend?
                            Last edited by Rollie Pollie; Aug. 8, 2011, 03:39 PM.

Comment

I have been doing lots of hillwork lately, and figured I would treat myself to a new polo-style breastplate (I have one with the yoke). I looked and looked... so far I think this one is going to be "the one". I love how it's simple but has useful features (detachable martingale, saddle support from the girth and not the D's):

http://tiny.cc/cwdbreastplate

Now... where to buy it for the "cheapest" price.

It may actually be cheaper to have a local saddler "custom" make it! I would probably have a short section elastic built in around the chest.
                              A quick tutorial on interval training: Conditioning your horse for eventing

Comment

I use the hunt style breastplate, but I only need it to hang a martingale on. If I was jumping anything big enough that a breastplate would be useful I would use the polo style. I don't expect mine to actually help hold the saddle in place.
                                Nina's Story
                                Epona Comm on FB

Comment

Why don't you just get this one? It's only $100

Or do you need a Running Martingale, too?

(that's a whole nother subject for me. i don't believe in those/don't think they "do" anything heheheheheheee! I know, I go against the grain on that opinion)

Originally posted by WW_Queen View Post
                                  I have been doing lots of hillwork lately, and figured I would treat myself to a new polo-style breastplate (I have one with the yoke). I looked and looked... so far I think this one is going to be "the one". I love how it's simple but has useful features (detachable martingale, saddle support from the girth and not the D's):

It may actually be cheaper to have a local saddler "custom" make it! I would probably have a short section elastic built in around the chest.
                                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                  www.elainehickman.com
                                  **Morgans Do It All**

Comment

Originally posted by Fancy That View Post
                                    Why don't you just get this one? It's only $100

Or do you need a Running Martingale, too?
                                    So funny you should post that one! I actually bought it... then returned it because it didn't fit. Even on the longest holes I couldn't get it to reach the girth!
                                    A quick tutorial on interval training: Conditioning your horse for eventing

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by WW_Queen View Post

I want to show that one to Bartville and see if they can make it!

Comment

Originally posted by Rollie Pollie View Post
                                        Purplnurpl: Thanks so much! That really helps to clarify... I had no clue how much variety was out there!

Fancy That: Are there any stores other than Bit of Britain that you would recommend?
                                        I think if you google Jumper Breastgirth, you can find lots. Nunn FIner has one, which means Bartville makes it - so you can get it cheaper via Bartville.

You normally have to buy the wither strap seperately, and the best place for that is Bartville. Only $17 (whereas Nunn Finer charges $32. Bartville makes it for them
                                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                        www.elainehickman.com
                                        **Morgans Do It All**

Comment

Working...
                                        X