• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

DOC clinic - should I go?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DOC clinic - should I go?

There's a David O'Connor clinic next month at Waredaca. I've heard opinions ranging from adoration to burning hatred. Thoughts? Anyone else thinking about going? I'm leaning towards doing it.
    The big guy: Lincoln

Southern Maryland Equestrian

Originally posted by Duckz View Post
    There's a David O'Connor clinic next month at Waredaca. I've heard opinions ranging from adoration to burning hatred. Thoughts? Anyone else thinking about going? I'm leaning towards doing it.

I may not agree with everything DOC says or does but he is a very good clinician and one you could learn something from. I would say go (I would go and ride with him)....however, I do think the best thing is to ask people you respect who know both the clinician AND you. A good trainer/clinician for one rider/horse may not be ideal for someone else. Find out their teaching style and if you think it will mesh with you.

FWIW--L. Law is doing a clinic at Waradaca later in the year as well. I have ridden with him and get a lot out of the clinics with him.

Waradaca puts on some great clinics.
    Last edited by bornfreenowexpensive; Jul. 28, 2011, 07:29 PM.
    ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Comment

Not sure if this helps at all, but a good friend of mine recently audited one of his clinics and said he had a lot of really good points and helped out a lot of horses/riders. I wasn't there so I don't know, but she knows her stuff and if she liked him, I can't imagine he'd be absolutely horrible.

Definitely talk to people who've worked with him at clinics, etc. Youtube his clinics and see what his style seems to be like. You can learn something from EVERY clinician or trainer or experience, but it's a lot easier to do that if you mesh well with the person and agree with what they're saying. (disclaimer: I'm not saying you're always going to learn something you agree with or that works well for you, I'm just saying you'll always learn SOMETHING, even if it's how NOT to do fill-in-the-blank thing).
      Trying a life outside of FEI tents and hotel rooms.

Comment

His experiences are invaluable to most everyone out there. As others have said you can definitely walk away with some knowledge that you don't presently have.

That being said how's your budget for this type of thing? Would you be better served broadening out your horizons a bit and hitting a dressage lesson or a hunter show to work on the phases that often get overlooked in pursuit of more xc schools?

Not saying DOC isn't valuable, but experiences in places outside of the norm, and/or another lesson with a trainer outside your regular one would extend the benefit to your riding and horse's CV a bit.

~Emily
        "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Xctrygirl View Post
          His experiences are invaluable to most everyone out there. As others have said you can definitely walk away with some knowledge that you don't presently have.

That being said how's your budget for this type of thing? Would you be better served broadening out your horizons a bit and hitting a dressage lesson or a hunter show to work on the phases that often get overlooked in pursuit of more xc schools?

Not saying DOC isn't valuable, but experiences in places outside of the norm, and/or another lesson with a trainer outside your regular one would extend the benefit to your riding and horse's CV a bit.

~Emily
          Lincoln and I come from the hunter world, so no worries on that front. He has put in some lovely, stylish hunter rounds in stadium (complete with time faults) Sadly our long-awaited Silva Martin dressage lesson was cancelled last weekend. I was supposed to do two days with Heath Ryan but that fell through. DOC is sort of the back-up plan.

I do have a couple semi-regular instructors. Time/distance are generally more limiting factors than funds.

Comment

Originally posted by Duckz View Post
            There's a David O'Connor clinic next month at Waredaca. I've heard opinions ranging from adoration to burning hatred.
            I've watched his clinics on several occasions and saw nothing in them that could be considered polarizing at all. Very middle of the road and sensible, emphasizing good fundamentals.

Comment

Originally posted by JER View Post
              I've watched his clinics on several occasions and saw nothing in them that could be considered polarizing at all. Very middle of the road and sensible, emphasizing good fundamentals.
              That's what I heard as well.
              Trying a life outside of FEI tents and hotel rooms.

Comment

I've ridden with him several times, and I think he's fantastic. Good fundamentals, and enough theory that you come away thinking--stuff you can use yourself back at home.

I've seen him teach very advanced riders down to inexperienced pony clubbers; he can adapt to all levels.

Comment

Originally posted by AppyGoLucky View Post
                  Not sure if this helps at all, but a good friend of mine recently audited one of his clinics and said he had a lot of really good points and helped out a lot of horses/riders. I wasn't there so I don't know, but she knows her stuff and if she liked him, I can't imagine he'd be absolutely horrible.

Definitely talk to people who've worked with him at clinics, etc. Youtube his clinics and see what his style seems to be like. You can learn something from EVERY clinician or trainer or experience, but it's a lot easier to do that if you mesh well with the person and agree with what they're saying. (disclaimer: I'm not saying you're always going to learn something you agree with or that works well for you, I'm just saying you'll always learn SOMETHING, even if it's how NOT to do fill-in-the-blank thing).
                  Appy I love this - with your permission it will be my tag line.
                  "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
                  Courtesy my cousin Tim

Comment

I watched him teach a dressage clinic & would agree with the above.

He communicated well what he was looking for and offered challenges to improve for those people who showed some holes in their riding.
                    Last edited by rivenoak; Jul. 28, 2011, 07:50 PM.
                    ~ Horse Box Lovers Clique ~

Comment

I have been very privileged to ride with him a few times (he LOVES Vernon, btw...but he never helped me with him on the flat! ), and I have sat for HOURS watching him coach the boss and other people. He is a VERY good instructor, and probably a better clinician (he can be tough to deal with if you ride with him regularly and he doesn't like your horse). I have never ridden with him in a clinic environment (I am a very lucky girl and have had him to myself), but have watched him in clinic settings. He's good, thoughtful, straightforward, challenging but not overfacing.
                      Amanda

Comment

[QUOTE=DOC is sort of the back-up plan.[/QUOTE]

Must be nice!!!! He is only one of the most prolific horseman of our era.....his resume is unbelievable.....and he is a humble guy. I XC judged one time in Ocala- they needed a hold-person on course- he was either the course designer or TD....really don't remember. He loaned me his stopwatch, instructed me how to do the job and all I could think was....wow, he might have used this when he won the gold medal at the Atlanta Olympics! He was super nice and I saw him setting jumps when they didn't have any volunteers to do that in stadium. I can't believe that you think you might not learn anything from him....you need to read up on who is who in eventing

Comment

I audited a clinic with him and blogged it:

http://docclinic.blogspot.com/

(also rode in a Law clinic and blogged it: http://lawsclinic.blogspot.com/)
                          --Becky in TX
                          Clinic Blogs and Rolex Blogs
                          She who throws dirt is losing ground.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by RSEventer View Post
                            I can't believe that you think you might not learn anything from him....you need to read up on who is who in eventing
                            Sorry, I should clarify...I know who he is, and I definitely meant no disrespect by that It was more that I already had a plan for my lesson/clinic money and then *poof* went my plans. I glanced over my calendar and saw the DOC clinic at Waredaca. That said, I've heard some not-so-positive things recently and wanted to get some takes on him. Thanks for the input!

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by gully's pilot View Post
                              I've ridden with him several times, and I think he's fantastic. Good fundamentals, and enough theory that you come away thinking--stuff you can use yourself back at home.

I've seen him teach very advanced riders down to inexperienced pony clubbers; he can adapt to all levels.
                              Originally posted by yellowbritches View Post
                              He's good, thoughtful, straightforward, challenging but not overfacing.
                              Thank you so much everyone! This is the type of stuff I was wondering. I'm looking forward to working with him.

Comment

I may be wrong, but I think MOST of the negative things people say are more related to" politics" than his teaching. Some have issues with his involvement with the Parelli's, but it is not prevanlant in his teaching.
                                Amanda

Comment

Some have issues with his involvement with the Parelli's, but it is not prevalent in his teaching.
                                  Well, of course David OConnor couldn't go Parelli in his teaching, he'd have to pay Parelli, Inc to become a 'Parelli Instructor' if he did that!

Sorry to interrupt...

Yellowbritches said:
                                  he can be tough to deal with if you ride with him regularly and he doesn't like your horse
                                  What kind of horse does David O'Connor not like?

Comment

Whatever my feelings are about his politics and the whole Parelli thing, IMO he is a REALLY good instructor.
                                    Click here before you buy.

Comment

Great experience

I've been lucky enough to ride with several great clinicians, including DOC, Lucinda, Jimmy, Kim Severson.

DOC is one of my favorites because he knows how to teach. He's not just a good rider -- he had to think through his own riding and training to get where he is. He is the *only* clinician I've experienced that can actually teach feel on cross-country. He will also prompt you to think about why you are doing a particular behavior or giving a particular aid to your horse. He is firm but not punitive. One of my best memories of him is a clinic where he zipped alongside the rider on a 2-wheeler so he could provide comments. Well worth it I would say.

I did not see anything listed on the Waredaca site. Can you provide more info? I would love to do another clinic with him.

Comment

Vernon didn't mind the motorcycle, but the boss' dun horse hated it and it was often all the boss could do to keep Dunny pointed in the right direction!! highly entertaining...I think DOC just liked to give the boss a hard time
                                        Amanda

Comment

Working...
                                        X