• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

What makes your area the best?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What makes your area the best?

As far as Area I, Area II, III, etc. So, why is your area the best? Number of shows? Overall affordability? General atmosphere? Climate?

So tell me, COTHers, what do *you* like most about your area?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Eventer90210; Jul. 28, 2011, 02:32 AM.
    Via SillyHorse: "Honey, if you paid that much for a 'clinic', you are the gold plated sucker."
    The self-proclaimed old-thread-reader.

Area 2. There are 10 events within 90 minutes of the farm (half are probably 30-45min). Probably the same amount between 2 and 3 hours. That's VERY hard to beat. There is also easy access to great instruction. What more could you ask for? (There's actually lots more to love, but that's a start.)
    Amanda

Comment

• Original Poster

How are the rates for showing/lessons/boarding?

I'm very curious to hear from everyone allover! The google maps did get me interested in Area I/II because of the number of events so close together.

That number of events within that range is really hard to beat. I live in central OK and there's one event 45 minutes from me. The next closest are in other states.

Thanks for the reply!

Also, yellowbritches, the farm you ride at/own(?) is GORGEOUS.
      Via SillyHorse: "Honey, if you paid that much for a 'clinic', you are the gold plated sucker."

Comment

Area 1 for sure! Lots of quality events within a 3 hour radius of almost anywhere.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=...664050df&msa=0

Great organizers – great courses – great trainers and friendly, supportive competitors! You can find a recognized event, schooling event or local dressage show just about every weekend – and not break the bank w travel and entry fees. The Area 1 council is filled w knowledgeable horse people who not only care about the sport but also make an effort to keep everyone informed and involved. I also think we have the best website at www.area1usea.org. When they post a link to the results of each event, they also post a link to the photographer’s website *grin*

Joan from Flatlands
        Joan Davis
        http://www.flatlandsfoto.com/
        http://flatlands-equestrian.com/

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you for the responses!

Once I graduate college, I'll have the opportunity to move pretty much where ever and thought I migh as well start planning now!

Comment

Area II for the same reasons YB said. Also great courses and lots of competition to really up your game. I also like the varied terrain for cross country.
            Lindsay

Check out my blog at http://lindsayberreth.com

Comment

Area 8:

Good things:

1. We don't typically have broiling, God-awful temperatures all summer long. Mid-July? Yes indeed. But the rest of the season is typically very, very tolerable. A little cold in early April and late October.

2. Great people in general, good (if not great) venues

3. Costs are usually just a little lower than average for entry/stabling, when you look at costs elsewhere.

4. Decent unrecognized events, although I wish there were more.

5. We own Rolex!

Not-so-great things:

1. Distance between shows is not nearly as brutal as our western USA buddies cope with, but we don't have six to choose from on a given weekend within a 2-hour drive, either.

2. Although we enjoy good weather, the season is a little shorter than some places.

3. Places that allow schooling are, in some places, challenging to find or nonexistent.

4. It can be a little flat.
              Click here before you buy.

Comment

If you live near Lexington, KY, which is in Area8 and home to Rolex, you have seven recognized events at the KHP every year (except for the WEG year). There are several more wonderful venues just a few hours drive that include: Spring Run, Greater Dayton, Gemwood, Flying Cross, all of the events in Indiana and some of the ones in TN.

We have tough hills to rolling hills on which to condition. Masterson Station Park is FREE to school and you can go there anytime. They have cross country jumps and dressage arenas set up all of the time, on which to practice.

It is hot in the summer, but what place isn't right now? The winters can be very cold, but so are the winters in Area's I and II. Our winters are not as long as theirs, but our summers are longer.

We get awesome clinicians to come to our area including Wofford (clinics at South Farm, a farm in Columbus, OH and one in KY after Rolex), Leslie Law (who was a clinician at LAZ's camp and this coming weekend to Flying Cross), Becky Holder (this past January and again in August), Jim Graham, Robin Walker, Stephen Bradley, plus great instructors who already live here: Diana Rich, Cathy Weischhoff, Dorothy Crowell, Eric Dierks....

Despite our current heat index, I love living in KY and Area8!
                When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

Comment

Originally posted by Eventer90210 View Post
                  How are the rates for showing/lessons/boarding?

I'm very curious to hear from everyone allover! The google maps did get me interested in Area I/II because of the number of events so close together.

That number of events within that range is really hard to beat. I live in central OK and there's one event 45 minutes from me. The next closest are in other states.

Thanks for the reply!

Also, yellowbritches, the farm you ride at/own(?) is GORGEOUS.
                  Area 2 itself covers a wide area, if not geographically, then economically. So, "cost of living" prices (board, lessons, care) will vary kinda wildly. Showings though seems pretty comparable to everywhere else. I compete often enough in Areas 1 and 3 and occasionally 8, and entry fees seem the same (obviously, you don't spend as much on gas, stabling, hotels, and meals when you only have to drive around the corner to an event!).

As for cost of horse keeping and lessons, THAT can really depend. Our farm is in the DCmetro area, which has high cost of living anyway, so horse keeping is the same. Board from about northern VA and north, probably solidly to NJ, can range from about about $500 for really basic board on up to $1000ish for pretty classy, fancy boarding. I don't know what costs are exactly, but I think they run generally less in the southern half of the area (but events are also not quite as concentrated).

Lessons are the same, when you talk about more local, lower level or non-big names. But lessons and training with the BNTs average between $75-100, and I think that is pretty much the same no matter if you're riding in Southern Pines or NJ.

Oh, and I am lucky enough to manage that farm! And it is even prettier in real life!
                  Amanda

Comment

I'm in Middle TN, which is technically area 3, which is, in fact, an awesome area.

Unless you live in Middle TN, which means the best part of being in Area 3 is its proximity to Area 8's KHP.
                    Big Idea Eventing

Comment

• Original Poster

I was already kinda leaning towards the east coast before I started this thread anyways, but I do want to hear from people all over.

Keep the opinions coming!

Comment

Area II is fantastic, especially if you're in the Northern VA, DC, or Baltimore area. Downside? Cost of living is high and traffic sucks. I solved this problem by living about an hour south of DC, in southern southern Maryland. For a 1.5 - 3 hour drive I can access 10 - 15 gorgeous venues that hold recognized events. Within 5 hours are some of the top trainers in the sport.

By not living closer to DC I add about an hour of driving to get anywhere. However, I can afford a house, I live 5 minutes from my office, and board at a lovely farm with an indoor and outdoor arena for $400/mo. Judging by the comments from folks in other areas of the country, my commute to events is nothing

So yeah. Area II kind of rocks.
                        The big guy: Lincoln

Southern Maryland Equestrian

Comment

Area II, but it also depends on what time of year you are talking about. January - May we could hit the shows in Florida (8 hours to Ocala) all the way up the eash coast to Virginia HT. Aiken is 3+ hours from me, and here locally I have 8 within 90 minutes.

Great footing, good weather for about 9 months out of the year (although TODAY might make me change my mind!) and lots and lots of all sorts of folks to ride and train with. If you don't have to be along Young's Road in SoPo, there are plenty of very affordable places to live within 20-30s of the foundation. Nice horse community.
                          www.amiddle-agedmadwomantakesthereins.blogspot.com

www.pegasusridge.com

Comment

No one brought up area VII so I will. Although we don't have as many events as our east coast brothers, we have a decent schedule, enough to keep you busy most weekends. The weather is unbelievable, right now mid-70s and sunny. We have the offshore marine flow that keeps the temps from getting too hot and virtually no humidity.

If you want to go trail riding, there are thousands upon thousands of acres of wilderness and backcountry to explore, all within a 1-2 hour drive from the west coast. If you want to ski, we have world-class skiing, water sports are also nearby.

Boarding costs run the gamut from $150/month all the way up to around $650-$700. Washington is a very horse-friendly state, sure it rains a bit but the summers more than make up for it.
                            Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

Comment

I've lived/ridden significantly in CA, VA and PA.

CA--beautiful state, expensive cost of living and everything was a bit of a hike. Some good trainers and riders but not the depth or level of competition I found in VA and PA. Great weather...fantastic trails/beaches.

VA--DC area. Extremely close to a number of events and many good trainers. I could easily (and did) compete at prelim all season (one to two events a month) without ever stabling overnight...and close to that for Intermediate. Cost of living in the meca area (middleburg) was pretty high. I worked in DC and kept my horse in Leesburg....which gave me quite a commute in high traffic. Great equine support (lots of top farriers and vets).

PA--Unionville area. Dense with good trainers (in all disciplines). Easy access to many shows and events although more slightly further drives than VA (not significant though). I can still go to most of my events without stabling. Cost of living is perhaps slightly less that I saw in VA. Easier commute into my job (while a slightly further distance, traffic is less). Access to many great vets and farriers. Great hacking out of most farms (big fox hunting area still).

Weather in PA/northern VA is similar. Northern VA is usually just about 2 weeks ahead of us coming out of winter. Weather in CA was better but I would still call PA/VA weather pretty mild....especially compared to the winters in MA!
                              Last edited by bornfreenowexpensive; Jul. 28, 2011, 02:39 PM.
                              ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Comment

DFW Texas.
                                Not just area V. But the west side of Dallas/Ft. Worth.
                                why?

because I am within 45 minutes of:
                                (schooling shows)
                                Denton Creek
                                Quail Run
                                Willow Draw
                                Greenwood
                                Curragh
                                Hidden Lakes (h/j schooling shows)

(coaches)
                                Mike Huber
                                Heather Morris
                                Kadi Eykamp

being that I usually have kiddos that need tons of miles--and need to get to schooling shows often I couldn't ask for a better area.

In the spring and fall I have schooling shows almost EVERY weekend. They are cheap, have great prizes, and count towards points for Area V (North Texas Eventing Association) year end awards.
                                http://kaboomeventing.com/
                                http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
                                Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Comment

I love Area II, not gonna lie. Plenty of big events and little events, and pretty convenient to KHP and such, depending where you are in the area. Plus we've got CHP, The Fork, Virginia stuff, MD stuff, Full Gallop, and a newer 3DE facility in SC.
                                  Trying a life outside of FEI tents and hotel rooms.

Comment

You've gotten a response on why Area 1 is great from an eventing standpoint (and it is: historic roots, legendary venues, a mix of events, supportive competitors, great coaches, trainers and teachers). All this but perhaps not as intense as other places. For me, it's the other things as well: the ocean, mountains, accessible cities, "culchah", Sox, Pats, Broons, seafood AND a strong horse community that make it outstanding. Don't forget that with global warming, our riding season is getting longer and longer, too.

OH! And I forgot to add the best thing: Flatlands Foto!
                                    Last edited by frugalannie; Jul. 28, 2011, 05:07 PM.
                                    They don't call me frugal for nothing.
                                    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Comment

Area 8 - Rolex and Richland Park. 'Nuff said.
                                      \"In all manners of opinion, our adversaries are insane.\" Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by deltawave View Post
                                        Area 8:

Good things:

2. Great people in general, good (if not great) venues

4. Decent unrecognized events, although I wish there were more.
                                        These! We have THE BEST local eventing association (TEAM!) and great unrecognized events in Michigan, held on the same courses and usually up to snuff with the USEA events.

And DW, if you'd live on the right side of Michigan, it wouldn't be so flat AND there is lots of schooling!

Comment

Working...
                                        X