• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Horse struggling in the heat/humidity

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horse struggling in the heat/humidity

Thought I would cross post from the Dressage forum to see if y'all Eventers have any great ideas...

Recently moved to Houston which is just as hot as where we were living in NC but not as humid. Mare is not adjusting well still after being here for a month. After a short 30 min ride of just easy walk and trot yesterday (4pm lesson but in the shade - normally ride early in morning or in the evening but she's still panting during our ride), she was panting at a 120 breaths per minute. She was never like this before where we used to live. I could ride her for 2 hours at a time.

She gets hosed off after being ridden and parked infront of an industrial fan until her breathing is more normal. Also started the supplement one ac but probably too soon to notice a difference. and she's on electrolytes. Anyone with any tips/help?
    Originally posted by Sithly
    do NOT give your 5 year old child a big bag of apples and send her out alone into a herd of 20-some horses to get mobbed. There are better ways to dispose of unwanted children.

Please remember that Houston temps are in the 90s by 9am and stay in the 90s till after 10pm.

The horses systems are stressed for longer periods of time so give your mount a break every 10 minutes, in the shade.

Good luck and welcome to Houston!

Comment

Bring a bucket of cold water mixed with rubbing alcohol to the ring, sponge on the neck, between the hind legs, etc. every 10 minutes or so. Hose and sweat scrape before you ride.

Comment

Is she sweating?

What happens when you ride her in the cooler parts of the day?
        Click here before you buy.

Comment

• Original Poster

she is sweating and when I ride her right before dark she still will pant after a 30 min dressage ride (mostly trot - a little canter)
          do NOT give your 5 year old child a big bag of apples and send her out alone into a herd of 20-some horses to get mobbed. There are better ways to dispose of unwanted children.

Comment

If you think she is beginning to adapt at all and it's just taking a while, I would stop and do some aggressive cooling mid-ride, such as what Kealit suggested. If, however, she does not show ANY signs of adapting, I might give the vet a call.
            Click here before you buy.

Comment

My gelding was having a lot of trouble adjusting to the heat/humidity this year, after going into work for the first time in his life.

IMO, you are on the right track with One AC - that stuff works wonders, but needs to be combined with a number of other strategies to guarantee success.

I've lived in FL or GA my whole life as a horse owner. This is what I think works:
              Put horse on One AC
              Switch to PM turnout, Stalling (under fans preferably) during the day
              Give a good number of days off to recoup, I usually go with about 5-7 days.
              Once you start riding, work for about 5-10 minutes (or as soon as you see sweating stop) and take a break and walk for a minute or two. (these breaks become a standard thing for summer riding)
              Practice aggressive cooling during the first week or two during your ride, using the water/alcohol combo.
              Depending on the horse, I also throw in a day or two of work in the shade on the trails.
              Constantly monitor the sweat to respiration ratio when working, and take breaks as needed.

I did this for my current horse and this afternoon I went out for a ride and found my horse sweating up a storm in his stall, perky as he could be. Finding him sweaty just makes my day!
              Final Furlong Racehorse Retirement

Comment

IMO, the only thing that really seems to help is riding very, very early in the morning, if possible! Riding between 6-7am, or earlier, is a lot more tolerable.

I sometimes ride in the evening too, but it's still quite hot. The heat seems to reach it's peak between 1-3pm here. If I ride between 4-7pm, it's just beginning to (at a painfully slow rate) cool down.
                T3DE Pact

Comment

^^^
                  What Fractious Fox said.

Obviously, make sure there are not other physical issues happening.

Don't forget to consider air quality. In the heat/humidity, breathing stagnant air really does take more effort.

Besides that, when it's brutally hot and humid (as it has been here in the Delta for weeks now), adjust the work --

Get out of the arena. Grass is cooler than sand/footing.
                  Walk. It's easy to underestimate the value and effort of work done at the walk.
                  Transitions. A lot of work, sharpening to the aids, coming round, etc can be done with transitions. Shorten the duration of work in a gait.

My mare is one of the most un-exhaustable horses ever, seriously! And, in this weather, 30 minutes is the MOST I will ask of her.

[I have to ask -- where did you live in NC? Because I consider Houston, and New Orleans, to be the MOST HUMID places ever.]
                  No hour of life is lost that is spent in the saddle.
                  -- Winston Churchill

Comment

I lived in NC (Charlotte) and moved to Houston last August. I went from riding 2 horses a day to BARELY being able to ride 1 horse. I did not move a horse with me. I would take it easy and give the horse a break. Everyone at my barn is riding about 30 minutes max on horses that grew up or have been in this weather for years. Just keep in mind that this had been a really bad summer. It was the hottest June on record for Houston. It normally will not be this bad.

I have since bought a horse and I am thinking about giving him August off. It is just that hot! Do what others have suggested to manage the heat, but having watched other horses struggle after having been over heated, I am hesitant to push the issue and cause long term damage for usually hot weather. Once the horse has over heated, it more susceptible to do so again.

Comment

I'm in far north Texas (neighbors call it Oklahoma) and I will be on tomorrow morning by 630 for a max 30-minute ride. Temp will be about 80 and humidity 50+. Hose and scrape my 15-yr old gelding several times after the ride.

How badly do you want to ride and make it as easy on your mare as possible? One of my coworkers is up at 430 am to be at the barn by 530, ride, shower, and get to work by 8, three times a week. Trainer does 20-minute lessons starting as soon as light enough to see.

Not much competing goes on here in July or August.

Choices, choices......good luck, and hope there's an early fall!

Comment

Channel 13 Weather said we are breaking daily heat records in Houston/Galveston from 1876...

1876!!!!

Exceptional! Please use Exceptional Caution.

Comment

Does your horse have a thicker coat? Don't know what her breeding is, but a lot of warmbloods grow a fairly thick summer coat compared to what you'd see on a TB/Arab.

It's been so hot and humid here in the mid-atlantic that we are starting to body-clip all of the horses that don't have that super-sleek summer coat. It is hard to keep them cool with this much humidity, even on night turnout and days inside under fans. Getting rid of that extra hair really helps.

Comment

• Original Poster

She's a tb with a thin coat. She sweats alot but still panting/hot. We used to live in Greenville nc which is closer to the coast and an hour and a half east of Raleigh. When I work days (currently 75% of my schedule) I have to clock in at 6:30 am. So no early riding for me since it's dark when I leave the house. Sigh- I wanted to show this fall but looks like that's not going to happen. I want her to be healthy and happy.

Comment

What FF said. My vet said that horses need a period to NOT use sweat glands....and if they don't get that break, they shut down. The high resp rate sounds like the beginnings of anhidrosis.

I actually put window units in two stalls (they are connected) and my horses go in about 11, come out about 6. (We're in Wimberley for the summer, which is in hill country and thus pretty hot/humid.)

When my horse stopped sweating here last year, my vet suggested one ac and acupuncture. We had it done, and he started sweating in three days. He's been sweating since (and I've kept him on one ac). I really think being in the ac helps.
                              --Becky in TX
                              Clinic Blogs and Rolex Blogs
                              She who throws dirt is losing ground.

Comment

Kairoshorses, I forgot about the acupuncture... I haven't owned my horse long enough to do it, but plan to have him treated in Feb next year to prep him for the summer heat.

I still ride very frequently, and oftentimes in some of the hottest temps (much hotter than temps that have been mentioned here). Many in other parts of the country probably think I'm crazy... but again, living in the climates I've always lived in, if we didn't ride during these times, we'd never ride. I think it's just important to pay attention to the horse in front of you. Are they acclimated? Are they TB type or WB type? What is their respiration and sweating like?

I think giving breaks during ride times and turnout is just so important, with definite off days available throughout the week (I do two days at opposite ends of the week, any more and I'm on a firecracker). Giving a chunk of time off to let them recuperate from heat stress is also sooo important. Think about how tired you are when you suffer from heat exhaustion.. a horse needs about a week to reset and then you can reintroduce work, but with heat management in mind.

I just got back from a ride in 90+ temps with such humidity my windows had condensation on them this morning. Today we kept it at about 30 min, but he was just fine. Tomorrow I'll be having a XC lesson in the late morning, and a ride on the flat the following day (maybe in the woods). If you have a healthy horse, I think you can do a lot during these hot months, but you just have to be very attentive and know when to stop before you start on that slippery slope to a heat injury.

Keep us posted on how your horse does!
                                Final Furlong Racehorse Retirement

Comment

• Original Poster

I know y'all aren't vets but do you think I should just give her time off to adjust? We've been riding 4x per week since we got here.

Comment

You know your horse best...

My horses get a vacation in December around the holidays, usually for two weeks, and during the dog days of summer, usually another two weeks at the end of August.

Even with the temps in the 100s, the horses currently are not on full-vacation but they are doing light duty just to keep them trained. I am concerned about one horse that isn't a heavy water drinker, but I know that horse, and I watch him closely and give him soaked food, lots of grass, etc...I have a friend who's horse doesn't eat as much in the heat, happens every year, just longer this year. I have another friend who's horse gets heat colic, they keep it in the barn during the day, and feed it after dark, happens ever year, just longer this year. I think you get my point...

The performance level muscle tone comes back pretty fast, I like trained, supple, healthy, and happy horses.

Good luck with your decision...

Comment

This is always a touchy subject for us! My OTTB gelding has suffered with anhidrosis for the past 4 summers!

This year - we have him on a regimen of beer daily (yuengling), iodine, ONE AC (triple dose) and Chinese Herbs and light dose electrolytes. We attempted acupuncture - but he will not let us near him with a needle. He is not really sweating much - but - he does seem to be tolerating the heat a bit better this year.

I am a natural horsemanship fruit loop - so I refuse to sedate, twitch etc to "force" him to have the acupuncture - sort of defeats the purpose of doing it if you get them all out whack system wise anyway.

He has also gotten ACTH injections. We live near Charleston, SC and the humidity is OPPRESSIVE to say the least. We also have a fan and mister out for him. The barn where I board has a pond - so he gets free access to the pond to cool himself off also.

And - if nothing else - I just don't ride! I have just accepted the fact that from late June - late August - he will be out of commission! He's done a lot in his lifetime and he deserves to have his needs put first a few months out of the year.

Good luck to you! It's a touchy, scary situation!!

I actually started my own facebook group - Support for horses with anhidrosis so that people can "write" in with tips or advice on what they are doing to help their horses cope with the heat.

Comment

• Original Poster

So she has stopped sweating now. And only being ridden at most 3 times per week for the past several weeks.... my poor baby

Comment

Working...
                                        X