• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

New hybrid Point2 vest

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New hybrid Point2 vest

Eventing nation has a photo of the new Point2 vest. Any thoughts from our resident safety/engineer/smart people group? It looks kind of like an old school, non-certified Tipp with an air vest attached to the outside. Could there be any negatives to this design? Concerns?
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds
    Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

Nothing to say about the design, but YOWZA at the price! That's just under a thousand dollars!

Comment

Sweet! You can pay $1000 for the vest that does the same thing as the $300 vest you already have!
      Life doesn't have perfect footing.

Bloggily entertain yourself with our adventures (and disasters):
      We Are Flying Solo

Comment

Originally posted by wildlifer View Post
        Sweet! You can pay $1000 for the vest that does the same thing as the $300 vest you already have!

Comment

the thing that occured to me was if the one fall your out rule is changed, what is going to happen to the riders that wear this vest and then fall and try to remount to continue on.

they won't be able to because their all in one vest will have been explouded and they don't have a back up vest on.

now if they were wearing an air vest and a regular vest, the rider could just remove the air vest and still remount with the other vest if need be.

Comment

Until they get rid of the mechanical lanyard the vest will still be more dangerous when it fails during a fall.

I am very familiar with one instance where the horse and rider fell and the lanyard stayed attached to the saddle and vest. The person posted here her experience. She was lucky the horse did not flail nor run. Even a full grown man could not get the lanyard to separate. She was literally tethered to her horse.

This is an example of fail dangerous design. It may only happen once but because it happened it shows a design defect.

While not a "danger" issue given that an additional vest must be worn beneath, P2 makes claims about the failure rate of the CO2 cartridges. Unless they actually design and manufacture their own (which I very much doubt), the standard industrial failure rate suggests that one in every 1,000 cartridges will fail (no pressure, will not puncture, thin wall,.....). We do see times where the vest do not inflate. Does this make the vest dangerous? Yes, only if it used as the sole safety device. In the case of the new vest it means that nothing happens. But this is an example of a design defect that can lead to injury.

What does this vest weigh? I suspect it is getting closer to my lb. EXO.

Reed

Comment

Originally posted by RAyers View Post
              Until they get rid of the mechanical lanyard the vest will still be more dangerous when it fails during a fall.

I am very familiar with one instance where the horse and rider fell and the lanyard stayed attached to the saddle and vest. The person posted here her experience. She was lucky the horse did not flail nor run. Even a full grown man could not get the lanyard to separate. She was literally tethered to her horse.

Reed
              I know of an additional incident, similar to the one Reed speaks of, where a rider started to fall off the horse (horse remained standing) and the lanyard did not detach. She was still attached to the saddle (via the lanyard) and had a foot stuck in the stirrup. The clinician had work very carefully to free the rider without the vest deploying, lest it spook the horse and drag the rider. The horse was incredibly well behaved and the rider was freed before the vest deployed but these are the types of accidents that keep me from being convinced.

It's all great when everything works exactly as it is designed but that's not the way life works. That's why we need testing for ALL possibilities before we accept something as increasing safety.

If the vest shows me that, worst case, nothing happens and best case, I may be better off, great... sign me up. But until it can prove that it can't do me harm in certain circumstances, I will pass.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks Reed. I have heard of a few other people say their vest did not inflate or the lanyard never separated as well.

Here is the the press release, quite interesting.
                http://www.point-two.co.uk/equine/news.php
                Rhode Islands are red;
                North Hollands are blue.
                Sorry my thoroughbreds
                Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

Comment

I think one minor negative to the combined vest is that you can no longer remove an inflated vest and continue on in your regular vest. I have seen air vests get inflated in a warm-up situation (or even on course) where the rider would like to continue (and has not been eliminated from the one fall rule). With separate vests, they have the option of removing the air vest only and keeping the required regular vest in place.
                  Last edited by SevenDogs; Jul. 26, 2011, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TXnGA View Post
                    the thing that occured to me was if the one fall your out rule is changed, what is going to happen to the riders that wear this vest and then fall and try to remount to continue on.

they won't be able to because their all in one vest will have been explouded and they don't have a back up vest on.

now if they were wearing an air vest and a regular vest, the rider could just remove the air vest and still remount with the other vest if need be.
                    From the article: British Equestrian Trade Association gave level 3 approval to the P2-RS chassis, that is the vest without the airbag fitted. There is currently no recognised official standard for an air jacket, so that cannot be approved by BETA without a standard. However, this means that the jacket is a BETA approved body protector, so yes in many cases, as of now, you can wear a a single item with both forms of protection in competition.

So yes you could continue safely you just wouldn't have the air bag action should you fall again. How quickly do these vests deflate? As I imagine that while you can continue, if it takes ages to deflate riding with it inflated might be an issue lol.
                    Custom Painted Brushes: spcustombrushes@gmail.com
                    http://www.facebook.com/pages/SP-Cus...75042339173555

Comment

Originally posted by CarolinaGirl View Post
                      So yes you could continue safely you just wouldn't have the air bag action should you fall again.
                      That assumes that the deployed air vest portion deflates quickly enough not to interfere with riding. I have seen riders deploy their vest in warm-up (often by jumping off to adjust tack without disengaging the lanyard) and need to remount immediately to go out on course. The air vest was not deflating quickly enough so the rider just removed it, left it at warm-up, and went out on course in their standard vest.

I saw someone carrying a rider's vest back to the barn at a show recently (the rider had fallen and was being transported to the hospital). It was at least 20 minutes after deployment and it still looked like it would be very difficult (if not impossible) to ride in.

Comment

Originally posted by RAyers View Post

This is absolutely terrifying to me.

I'm intrigued by this statement on the P2 website:

"The Point Two air jacket almost eliminates the risk of severe and life threatening chest
                        injury for a horse fall resulting in a severe chest impact."

Very bold, and as far as I can see, unsupported.

Comment

Originally posted by blackwly View Post
                          I'm intrigued by this statement on the P2 website:

"The Point Two air jacket almost eliminates the risk of severe and life threatening chest
                          injury for a horse fall resulting in a severe chest impact."

Very bold, and as far as I can see, unsupported.
                          More than unsupported. Contradicted.

Contradicted by the death of Jo Rugman in a team chasing event in March. We've had a good previous thread on this incident.

Or maybe that's what they mean by 'almost.'

This company was warned early this year in the UK for improper advertising. Last year, they were shamed (if that is possible for these people) into taking down their 'uninjured' claims about Faith Cook and her horse after this BB pointed out that Ms. Cook fractured several vertebrae and was hospitalized, which is not what most people would consider 'uninjured.'

PointTwo wants you to take them at their word about the safety of their products. Unfortunately, their word has been demonstrably misleading and incorrect at times.

Comment

The airvests could possibly prevent some serious injury, but let's all be honest with ourselves. 1100 lbs + falling ontop of a balloon basically. Will it help, some, but it will not prevent all injuries. They are definately a good addition to rider safety. The new hybrid vest looks nice. The point about the price made to me was, well you will spend anywhere from $250 to $400 on a vest and then add the airvest price to that, it adds up about the same.
                            Some would like to see airvests made manditory at all levels to show. That may be asking a lot from some people.

Comment

Originally posted by smokey1428 View Post
                              Some would like to see airvests made manditory at all levels to show. That may be asking a lot from some people.
                              While them may wish that, I would fight it. Through a straight forward failure analysis it would be relatively easy to show that the vests do not live up to the manufacturer's claims and that there are several design defects as I noted.

I agree that there is no reason to NOT wear them, provided the lanyard detaches as they would be benign (except for a pressure cartridge benign against the body with no shroud) if they fail.

Having been part of legal proceedings in product defect cases as an failure analysis expert, I tend to look at products such as P2 with an eye for where they would get nailed should somebody sue (which will happen based on the aforementioned claim about injury prevention versus what has really happened in previous cases).

Comment

I don't see the air vests becoming mandatory any time soon. I know some individuals at USEA don't feel they have passed enough testing to do no harm (they don't currently wear or recommend them).

In addition, if you mandate something and it causes injury or death (which could happen if a situation Reed or I described where the lanyard did not detach turned out differently), you could have liability. I don't see USEA/USEF taking on that kind of liability.

Comment

This new air vest interests me. The only other protector I have seen which treads new ground is the Exo mentioned elsewhere which I tried but didn't feel comfortable in. I was prepared to perservere with it until a chiropractor friend of mine said he'd heard through professional contacts that in a fall onto the back, the rigid cage means the head will rotate back further before the back of the helmet touches the ground. He was concerned this could lead to an increase in neck and brain injuries, so I dropped any thoughts of buying one of those! This doesn't seem to be a problem with the new air vest which appears to support the neck.

I'm not ready to rush out and buy one yet. Some of the criticisms on here have made me hesitate. Has anyone put these challenges to the manufacturer about lanyards, CO2 cartridges and what they claim it actually does? I'd like to sift pass the usual suppliers marketing speak and the subjective opinion of the "I wouldn't wear anything else brigade."

Jane

Comment

Originally posted by JaneL View Post
                                    I was prepared to perservere with it until a chiropractor friend of mine said he'd heard through professional contacts that in a fall onto the back, the rigid cage means the head will rotate back further before the back of the helmet touches the ground.
                                    This is incorrect.

Comment

Originally posted by JER View Post
                                      This is incorrect.
                                      Do you have any proof it is incorrect?

Comment

I have emailed Point Two with a number of questions. I hope no one minds that I sent them a copy of this thread.

I will cut through a lot of the stuff they sent back. The main points they made are that their foam and airbag body protectors are independently tested and certified by SATRA and SGS UK (who apparently certify all the BETA approved body protectors in the UK) and "BETA has also accepted the P2-RS into the BETA body protector scheme. Please note, however, that this approval only extends to the BETA 3 foam body protector as BETA does not currently include inflatable body protection in the BETA Standard. It is also accepted by British Eventing for events conducted under their rules."

I found the openness of their response reassuring. If the product has been put through the number of tests and has been examined by the number of laboratories Point Two listed, it has certainly made me re-evaluate the credibility of some of the comments in this thread. The difficulty is how to sort out opinion from fact in those posts.

Jane

Comment

Working...
                                        X