• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Prelim division at hunter oaks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prelim division at hunter oaks

What happened? Most of the division either withdrew or was eliminated.

I think they had really challenging weather there. They were potentially trying to move stadium into the indoor.

Comment

I'm getting the scoring up. It looks like stadium is really shaking things up.

Comment

Weather

It does look like they are in the middle of a lot of heavy weather, it has been quite a week for rain! I'm not sure if they got the amount we got here the other day, but what a tough summer for everyone.

Comment

Anyone know if it was all weather related? There were a ton of W's, but also many E's from horses I know with no history of E in SJ...I'm assuming footing was an issue for those who chose to stay and ride?
          No Trouble
          2/2/05 - 7/29/13
          Rest In Peace my quirky brave boy, I will love you forever.

Comment

I was at Hunter Oaks at BN and the weather was certainly a challenge. Friday and Saturday we had heat indexes well over 100 (up to 115). Today (Sunday) we had major storms all morning - probably 4+ inches of rain in a couple hours. The TD/organizers said at a rider meeting this morning that stadium just wasn't doable on the grass where it was set up, the outdoor was flooded, and the indoor wasn't big enough, so they gave us the option of running it as a combined test or waiting an hour to see what the weather did. Considering there was a lot more rain coming, everyone voted that we call it then and hold it as a combined test.

Most people start packing up in the pouring rain and many people left. However, after about an hour, it was announced that they were going to try to make the indoor work for stadium. By that point, many people were packed up and on the road or decided it just wasn't worth it to stay, myself included. Apparently, they did finish in the indoor, even though they'd said they'd run it as a CT.

While this was a bit frustrating, I guess that's how it goes! It was really slick everywhere (one girl tore her ACL simply walking in the mud to her truck). So all those W's as far as I know are from people who either thought it would be run as a CT as per the rider meeting or didn't want to risk anyone's safety by warming up in the mud/torrential rains.

Haley

Comment

I ran novice at Hunter Oaks this weekend, and this is incredibly frustrating to see that they ran stadium in the indoor after all the discussion.

Our group in particular was very large, with ten horses competing. We had an IP rider with another training horse, one training rider, 2 novices riders (including myself), and the rest were beginner novice. We were super impressed with the event, having come from a less-than-desirable facility (Derbyshire HT). But when the rain started pouring, our BN rider who was in 1st decided "Not just no, heck no." Many BN riders don't have studs! This is soooo dangerous. Four of our horses left for our 5 hour drive home then and there.

The rider meeting was called, and we figured it was to call the event off and hand out ribbons and prizes. When we got there, we couldn't believe that people were considering riding! There was a LAKE outside the barns. The TD and ground jury president were very understanding and considerate during the whole thing, so a job well done to them. They explained that no matter how they tried, it would be tricky to get stadium done. So after an old-school raise of hands that was split 50/50, it was decided that they would wait 2 hours and "see how it was". Though the indoor option was discussed, it seemed to be quickly dismissed. Therefor, our group left.

I wish I could have done stadium, and kudos to those who did. I'm just glad they didn't run it out on the grass. What a relief. A great event on the whole, I just am disappointed I didn't get to keep (or move up from!) my fourth place standing.

Comment

I understand that the decision to call the event was reversed in deference to some riders who needed qualifiers. Kudos to the H.O. staff and volunteers for making it happen.

Comment

I was at Hunter Oaks and stayed until the very end. One of the main reasons Stadium was run was because many riders needed QRs for AECs and moving up. The organizers did the best they could to accommodate everyone, and decided to run stadium in their indoor, which was a bit small and challenging. I saw many horses have difficulty in the indoor as it was a very tight, compact course with a lot of questions. On the prelim course there was a one stride combination only 2-3 strides out of a turn and then maybe 5 strides to a skinny, and that caused almost (if not all) the stadium Es in the prelim divisions.

Overall though, I thought it was a very nice event. The organizers did the best they could to run the show in scorching heat for two days and torrential downpours the third.

Comment

I'm sure I'm gonna get flamed for this, but "needing a QR" should NEVER be a reason to continue an event if the venue has been determined to be unsafe or unrideable.

Comment

everyone that decided to do the ride in the indoor was able to see how tight the turns were. It was not unsafe, just needed a very accurate ride. It was the rider's decision.
                      The officials did all they could based on rider input.
                      I had a blast

Comment

I saw every level go in the indoor, and I agree with someday that the courses required an accurate ride, but the questions were appropriate for each level. I think the weather and changing to the indoor just unsettled some riders and the scores reflected that. I do not think that the indoor course was dangerous, and I don't think there was a single fall, though there were quite a few rails.

Comment

I rode in one of the novice rider divisions at Hunter Oaks. The organizers and officials did an OUTSTANDING job of bending over backwards to finish the horse trial for us.

The rain was horrible Sunday morning. The officials made it very clear in the riders meeting that riding outside was simply not an option. I was actually hooking up my trailer packing for the 7 hour drive home when I got word that they were going to hold stadium in the indoor. There were lots of people there trying to get their last NQR for the AEC's and the officials did the best with what they had to get those riders their NQR. I give them a lot of credit for that. Pulling together and organizing a brand new stadium course in that short amount of time was very impressive to me.

The arena was small but so were the jumps (I believe they used the minimum height and amount of jumps required for each division). It required an accurate and steady ride. But it was in no way, shape, or form dangerous at all. In fact I felt like the reason it was difficult were the distractions in the arena (small size, the shadows, and spectators crammed in to watch) way more so than the actual jumps.

This show was a perfect example of when life hands you lemons you can choose to make lemonade. We riders had the choice of either scratching or jumping a small (and when I say small I felt like my novice stadium course was more the height of a beginner novice course) stadium course to finish out the horse trial. And when I am traveling that far and paying that much $ to go to a show as long as it is safe for my horse I will always choose to finish.

Thanks again to everyone at Hunter Oaks for making it happen!
                          Corgigirl14

Comment

How long does one need to wait after a decision has been made to ensure that is not reversed? For those that left after being told the indoor really didn't meet the nec. size requirememts it is hard to understand why it was then used for SJ.

Is it fair to those who have qualified for the AECs (or to move up) on a legit SJ course that riders who rode a less than legit SJ course (Nov course that was more like beginner novice) are also qualified?

Are we compromising the integrity of the sport by trying to accomodate riders who want to get a qualifying score and/or finish a HT even if it means using a substandard SJ course?

Comment

Originally posted by secretariat View Post
                              I'm sure I'm gonna get flamed for this, but "needing a QR" should NEVER be a reason to continue an event if the venue has been determined to be unsafe or unrideable.
                              No flame from me. Why would anyone put him/herself and, more importantly, his/her horse through heat indexes of 100-115, 4+ inches of rain (really?) just to qualify for something? This is where rider responsibility comes in.

Comment

I had a question about moving the course to a smaller arena. Can't the course designer modify his course to make it easier to navigate? I'm not talking about dumbing it down, but if it isn't reasonable to ask a horse to do something in the space allowed then why can't you change it?

I have a very small arena and I can make an entire course that is doable and safe yet challenging. I can't set up the bigger lines but I can do things like making a fence jumpable from both directions.
                                http://weanieeventer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by MichiganMischief View Post
                                  Is it fair to those who have qualified for the AECs (or to move up) on a legit SJ course that riders who rode a less than legit SJ course (Nov course that was more like beginner novice) are also qualified?
                                  It doesn't seem like it ran more like a BN course given that a previous poster who was there described it as needing a very precise ride. The height, as described, was not max novice height, but I don't know that I would call it "less than legit" based on the description.

Comment

Originally posted by JAM View Post
                                    No flame from me. Why would anyone put him/herself and, more importantly, his/her horse through heat indexes of 100-115, 4+ inches of rain (really?) just to qualify for something? This is where rider responsibility comes in.
                                    I take serious offense to this comment. So since I live in the Midwest should I not ride my horse from June to September just because it’s hot? Horse are made to be outside 24/7 365 days a year. We choose to “soften” them by pampering them and putting them in a barn in any kind of adverse weather condition. I did not hear or see of one horse having trouble with the heat. Most eventers are excellent horseman and for you to insinuate that me or anyone else who went to Hunter Oaks are anything but that is ridiculous.

Even if I had not participated in this show my mare would still have been in a barn in 100 plus degree weather. The rider responsibility comes in that you need to actually ride your horse in the heat to prepare them (and you) for a show situation in which it will be that hot. Horses are not made of glass and a properly conditioned horse is perfectly able to perform well in the heat. And no I did not need to finish this show to earn a NQR for the AEC’s. I choose to stay and finish because that was the right thing to do for me.

And no I do not think asking my athletic and conditioned horse to perform less than 30 total minutes of actual work over the course of three days (the show was Friday, Saturday and Sunday) in the heat is asking too much.

There was a competitor’s meeting on Thursday evening and the officials made it very clear that they did not want to see one dressage coat at this show and that there would be a huge cattle trough of water at the end of cross country to use to cool down the horses as they came across the finish line. There were also water trucks at every barn and the temp stalls had enough generator power for at least two fans to be on each horses stall. And Sunday was only calling for a 40% chance of light rain all day. The enormous storm and rain that hit the show grounds was a surprise to everyone and the officials dealt with it in the best way they thought possible.

In the competitor’s meeting at 10 on Sunday morning the show WAS NOT CALLED OFF. The officials said they would wait at least another hour to decide what to do for sure. So anyone that left during that time did so knowing that there was still a small chance they would move the stadium in the indoor.

No rules were broken by the officials by moving stadium and even though the course was on the small side for each respective division it was still extremely challenging due to the unique circumstances.
                                    Corgigirl14

Comment

It's just as hot in the summer where I live, probably hotter. If it was your considered judgment that it was appropriate for you and your horse to compete under the conditions as they were described -- 100-115 heat index and then heavy rain -- then that was the rider responsibility you chose to exercise. (And I assume that the amount of riding time includes both warm-up and time in the ring or on course.) I was proceeding from the statement made in the OP, namely, that most of the division in question either withdrew or was eliminated, which suggested to me that many riders chose not to compete under the conditions as described and many or most of those who did choose to compete under those circumstances paid or made their horses pay a price.

I have seen numerous articles from respected sources suggesting that when the temperature plus humidity exceeds 180 (e.g., 90 degrees plus 90 percent humidity), that is a dangerous riding condition and extreme caution should be exercised when riding (much less competing).

Originally posted by corgigirl14 View Post
                                      I take serious offense to this comment. So since I live in the Midwest should I not ride my horse from June to September just because it’s hot? Horse are made to be outside 24/7 365 days a year. We choose to “soften” them by pampering them and putting them in a barn in any kind of adverse weather condition. I did not hear or see of one horse having trouble with the heat. Most eventers are excellent horseman and for you to insinuate that me or anyone else who went to Hunter Oaks are anything but that is ridiculous.

Even if I had not participated in this show my mare would still have been in a barn in 100 plus degree weather. The rider responsibility comes in that you need to actually ride your horse in the heat to prepare them (and you) for a show situation in which it will be that hot. Horses are not made of glass and a properly conditioned horse is perfectly able to perform well in the heat. And no I did not need to finish this show to earn a NQR for the AEC’s. I choose to stay and finish because that was the right thing to do for me.

And no I do not think asking my athletic and conditioned horse to perform less than 30 total minutes of actual work over the course of three days (the show was Friday, Saturday and Sunday) in the heat is asking too much.

There was a competitor’s meeting on Thursday evening and the officials made it very clear that they did not want to see one dressage coat at this show and that there would be a huge cattle trough of water at the end of cross country to use to cool down the horses as they came across the finish line. There were also water trucks at every barn and the temp stalls had enough generator power for at least two fans to be on each horses stall. And Sunday was only calling for a 40% chance of light rain all day. The enormous storm and rain that hit the show grounds was a surprise to everyone and the officials dealt with it in the best way they thought possible.

In the competitor’s meeting at 10 on Sunday morning the show WAS NOT CALLED OFF. The officials said they would wait at least another hour to decide what to do for sure. So anyone that left during that time did so knowing that there was still a small chance they would move the stadium in the indoor.

No rules were broken by the officials by moving stadium and even though the course was on the small side for each respective division it was still extremely challenging due to the unique circumstances.

Comment

Originally posted by MichiganMischief View Post
                                        How long does one need to wait after a decision has been made to ensure that is not reversed? For those that left after being told the indoor really didn't meet the nec. size requirememts it is hard to understand why it was then used for SJ.
                                        This is exactly my thinking. I would have stayed, finished the event, and even moved up. Like others have stated, I feel like AECs should not be the determining factor. Area IV eventers still have Silverwood and Otter Creek to qualify if it's really that big of a deal. I thought eventing was about forming a team with your horse, not the ribbons...? Don't get me wrong, I'd love to go the AECs, but right now, I just want to have fun.

As for an "accurate" ride, my horse and I do better with twisty-turny courses because we have to think and it makes sure that I keep him focused and forward between our fences. And as for the prelim course, a one stride off a turn, five strides to a skinny? That should be basic to a prelim pair. Of course there might have been other factors, yada yada, so I'm sure that wasn't the issue.

Again, good for HO to making it happen, but the possibility was so quickly dismissed that I, among many others, left, and we most definitely would have stayed. If the indoor was this "do-able" in the first place, the program should've stated that in case of rain, an indoor facility is available for use.

Comment

Working...
                                        X