• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Horse Shopping Etiquette/Advice?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horse Shopping Etiquette/Advice?

Hi guys, my friend's daughter's horse died recently due to colic complications and we are in serious shopping mode. We are going to VA to try quite a few this coming weekend. This is not my first horse buying rodeo, but its been some time since we have bought, and even longer since it has not been either a horse I know from birth or long term friend of a friend's horse, born at my family's farm in PA....etc, etc. So kind of looking for advice on the 'cold call' style of buying.

SO, lets play...what should we bring/ ask/ expect/ look for when trying warmbloods in VA. We have seen videos of most, done Youtube snooping, and looked up USEA records. We have 7 appts lined up right now. Looking at those with Training level experience--kind of packers, for a 13 yr old (but she looks 15-16 and is taller).
    Last edited by dbamford; Jul. 5, 2011, 08:52 AM.

When people have come shopping for a teen with us, there has always been an adult/trainer who rode the horse after us but before the teen (compared to only sometimes does a trainer or friend ride before an adult client). That person made the determination if they really felt it was suitable for that teens level of riding.

With a teen I would expect a second ride before a purchase decision. I would also expect them to want the teen to get the horse from the field if possible and tack. Having a 13 yr old right now, I know for me safe ground manners are just as important as being safe U/S
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Draught Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

Comment

Best thing is to come prepared - what in your mind is going to be the appropriate horse for the rider... what are the most important aspects of the horse? Almost think of yourself as a judge.. you see how the horse behaves on the ground, when mounting, and when being ridden... If you like what you see, trainer gets on, if you still like what you see then the client gets on... if you don't then very politely let the seller know you don't think it's going to be the right match and head to the next appointment..

Comment

• Original Poster

Great points! Especially on the ground manners, and tacking / untacking. I was wondering if asking tohave the horse ridden in a 'non-ring' environment following a ring trial is also wise being that we are looking at an event horse. Seeing the horse in a ring environment vs. open field may be a good point if we are considering a junior and that she has to control said horse outside of a ring.

Comment

When considering the horse's show record, I like to see WHO has ridden it. A horse that's going around successfully with a rider like me is worth a lot more (to me) than one winning under a pro.
          Click here before you buy.

Comment

I absolutely agree with the above. If an ammy has had success at training, or even better another junior, that would weigh more to me then success with a pro up.
            Beth Davidson
            Black Dog Farm Connemaras & Sport Horses
            http://blackdogconnemara.com
            visit my blog: http://ponyeventer.blogspot.com

Comment

If there is an open field where the horse is, I think it is perfectly reasonable to see it ridden out there and/or have the teen ride it out there. Tougher if they only have a ring, but if you are really serious, plenty of sellers are willing to meet you somewhere with a field/xc course for the second visit once you know that horse is one you are very interested in.

Also, good to ask about how the horse is at events versus home (when I sell, I am perfectly happy to give out this information), does horse have any habits/issues you should know about (such as Keebler breaking halters if left tied on his own for too long at shows).

I also will (after asking the seller's permission), see if the horse will rattle (for example if I get ahead or behind or make a poor approach to a jump).

You may want to bring the 13 year old's own saddle. I have ridden sale horses in some saddles so uncomfortable or poorly fitting (for me) that it is really hard for me to tell how the horse actually feels because all I am feeling is saddle misery. Also, you may want to bring along her and your/trainer's medical armbands and vests in case there is an opportunity to try the horse cross country (some places require armband even for schooling).
              OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Comment

Originally posted by dbamford View Post
                I was wondering if asking tohave the horse ridden in a 'non-ring' environment following a ring trial is also wise being that we are looking at an event horse. Seeing the horse in a ring environment vs. open field may be a good point if we are considering a junior and that she has to control said horse outside of a ring.
                Yes, we let them ride out of the ring and were willing to trailer to XC if wanted. I don't think that is at all unreasonable to ask.
                Epona Farm
                Irish Draughts and Irish Draught Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by horsetales View Post
                  Yes, we let them ride out of the ring and were willing to trailer to XC if wanted. I don't think that is at all unreasonable to ask.
                  I assumed this would be the case, but wanted to check in. If that is his primary job, working out of a ring is a primary skillset!!

Comment

Also - my trainer used to like to arrive early... not that you dont' want to think the best of everyone, but there are those who like to take the horse out for a nice long ride or lunge before the buyer would show up (if you get my meaning)... so for me, I am in no way offended of put off if a seller drags out dirty horse for me to look at

Comment

• Original Poster

Ah. Another question--its a logistics one. but please keep the other advice coming, its been great!

As far as buying. Say we find something great, we do have a logistical complication. The mom/daughter are heading out of country on 2 week vaca the week AFTER we go to VA. So....if we find something we really like do we buy right away (pending vet check of course), pay for the horse and leave at owner's farm for the two weeks (with insurance of course), leave deposit....hmmmm...

Comment

If you find a horse, tell seller you're leaving the country for vacation and you'd like to try the horse again (maybe work out a trial) and schedule the PPE upon your return. Let seller know PPE will be done during the time the horse is on trial. I I would not purchase a horse prior to going away but would leave a deposit or draft a sale/purchase agreement (which would include terms of trial, payment etc.).

If the sellers are pushing you to make a decision to purchase before the buyer goes away.. I don't think I'd appreciate that and might be a flag to me... the old someone is coming tomorrow and they're very interested is often a ruse...

A friend of mine sent her horse from MD to RI on trial.. she had the sellers pay full price & insurance. There was an agreement payment would be held in escrow until PPE... I would suggest doing something along those lines as well.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by gottagrey View Post
                          If you find a horse, tell seller you're leaving the country for vacation and you'd like to try the horse again (maybe work out a trial) and schedule the PPE upon your return. Let seller know PPE will be done during the time the horse is on trial. I I would not purchase a horse prior to going away but would leave a deposit or draft a sale/purchase agreement (which would include terms of trial, payment etc.).

If the sellers are pushing you to make a decision to purchase before the buyer goes away.. I don't think I'd appreciate that and might be a flag to me... the old someone is coming tomorrow and they're very interested is often a ruse...

A friend of mine sent her horse from MD to RI on trial.. she had the sellers pay full price & insurance. There was an agreement payment would be held in escrow until PPE... I would suggest doing something along those lines as well.

Ah, excellent advice!

Comment

Horse Shopping

Sent you a PM

Comment

Just FYI, it's not necessarily a red flag if the seller won't let the horse go on trial. There are a ton of horror stories out there. Many sellers will not consider a trial off property.
                              The big guy: Lincoln

Southern Maryland Equestrian

Comment

We sold my daughter's pony and bought her a new horse this past Spring.

After trying the horse once in an open ring, we had the seller take him to a xc course so we could try him there. Completely reasonable for an eventer. There was a lot of interest in the horse, and if we had asked her to wait, we wouldn't have gotten him. The situation was the same with selling the pony. The first people who came to see him asked about a trial before they made the trip. I told them no trials. They came for a few days and while they were here, someone else wanted to make a trip to come see him right away. I told him that some people were here and I'd let him know what they decided. Then another person wanted to come see him. The trainer who was here with her client asked if there was any other interest. I told the truth - it's not always a lie when sellers say there is other interest. They had him vetted and bought him before they went home. The good ones go fast, so if you find a horse you really like, I'd go ahead with a vetting and purchase or there's definitely a chance you could miss out by waiting.

Comment

I don't tend to let horses I am selling go out on trial, particularly out of state, and I'm not surprised when sellers won't let one I'm looking at go, either. Not a red flag to me at all.

On the PPE/timing, in your situation, I would be upfront with the seller, but would expect that you'd have to leave a deposit: "We really like Dandy, and want to schedule a PPE. The buyers will be out of the country for the next two weeks, so if possible, we'd like to schedule it for X date. We'd be happy to leave a deposit of Y for that period of time to keep him off the market." Sometimes the seller will accept your offer of a deposit, often they won't (the latter is, I think, more common when everyone knows each other), but either way, you've recognized that you are asking them to refrain from showing the horse to anyone else for the time until the PPE. Otherwise, you take your chances - if there's not a firm PPE scheduled and/or the seller doesn't have a deposit in hand, I think you take your chances that someone else won't snap up in the horse in the interim.

Comment

I've know a few people who've let their horses go out on trial and requested the buyers provide check for purchase price and had them insure the horse... written contract w/ provision about check in escrow and PPE etc.. no problem w/ either sale..

I would still see if you could arrange a trial of some sort... depending on how much the horse is - maybe even if the mother/child could go to VA for a few days to ride the horse.. I've heard too many horror stories. We had a horse the buyer had leased it first to try... come to find out the horse had EPM; buyer didn't realize but trainer at home felt something funny in back end... and she had ridden the horse several times before leasing him.. another incident 2 local trainers convinced this teen a particular horse was "perfect" for her. Well it was when they tried it at sellers barn, Needless to say was a completely different animal when they got it home.. Not nearly as quie,t bucked the kid off and landed her in the hospital. Not exactly what you want when you get a new horse. Of note, the buyers did not draw blood- so I would also definitely draw blood and to include some sort of clause in the sales contract.

I'm giving this advice and my last horse purchas I did nothing I've suggested here. I went to Ireland, hopped on a horse they dragged in from the field - took him into this cave they called a wash stall - horse was a saint, took him on a 3 hour trail ride - saint (i'd not ridden in a few years,quite rusty, and not the most confident rider) took him to his first show - again saint. Watched him be shod, groomed & played w/ him for 3 days..and poof it was a done deal. Did get a PPE but wasn't present. the only thing I've suggested here that I did on this purchase was I was educated on what to look for (thanks to Rodney Jenkins video) and I knew what I wanted.

Hey OP if the buyer and teen are off to Ireland maybe they'll want to go where I got my horse

Comment

Originally posted by Duckz View Post
                                      Just FYI, it's not necessarily a red flag if the seller won't let the horse go on trial. There are a ton of horror stories out there. Many sellers will not consider a trial off property.

I will not let one of my horses out on trial ever. Had one die once....never again.

If you find the horse you like....leave a deposit and schedule the PPE. If you can have a person representing the mother/daughter at the PPE besides the vet that is ideal. Then IF they pass the PPE...pay full price and work on getting the horse home. All of which will likely take just about the length of time of their trip. If you are only talking about a few days to a week that the horse is still at the sellers...most will comp that cost or charge a small amount of board.

I would not wait until they get back...
                                      ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Comment

agree with bornfree!
                                        The big man -- my lost prince

The little brother, now my main man

Comment

Working...
                                        X