• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Which stallions are you breeding your Event mares to and why?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which stallions are you breeding your Event mares to and why?

Thinking about retiring and breeding my TB mare. I have some ideas of which stallions I like but I'm curious as to which stallions people are choosing now and why. Where is the sport going to be in 10 years? How do we choose stallions accordingly?
    Hillside Haven Farm
    From starting gate to start box!

I bred a TB mare I have to a Trakhener stallion that belongs to Darren named "Zauberruf" for a foal next year.
    My reasoning?..... I liked him as an individual, he has a wonderful pedigree and he has two foal crops on the ground and from what I have seen I like what he produces. I also spoke to a couple people who bred their mares and were happy with their foals. He is also competing and has a good record.
    The other reasons were based on my mare. She wasn't in the best shape when I got her so I gave her 2 yrs off and being an older mare (18) we weren't sure she would get in foal again so we needed a young stallion with good strong semen. My vet also wanted only fresh and not frozen for her. My vet said he had some of the best semen he has ever received as far as the quality of it.

I think as well as liking the horse on paper what ever horse you choose needs to compliment your mare and be one you like as an individual as well. They can be great on paper and still not be a really great individual. They can also be a wonderful individual and not be the best match for your particular mare. While a really good stallion puts his stamp on his foals... you have to really look at your mare and decide what you'd like to improve on and what her strong points are and go from there and find a stallion that compliments her not just what everyone else is breeding to. There are also mares with very dominant genes and no matter what you breed them to they reproduce themselves over and over. It's the sign of a good broodmare but can be frustrating if you are hoping to get a foal like the stallion.
    Breeding can be part luck and part planning. We've bred horses for over 30 years now and I've gotten what I wanted 90% of the time but there are always the few suprises. It can be alot of fun but it can also be heart breaking. Most of the time things go smoothly but things can go wrong.

Good luck if you decide to breed her! andlet us know who you decide to breed to!! : )
    "A little less chit-chat a little more pitter-pat"

Comment

I have a two year old by an "under the radar" Oldenburg stallion named Don Dueto. (Don Gregory out of a Rohdiamant mare). The stallion has incredible movement, great conformation even better temperament, and jumps very well too. Mine was his first foal, but his owner has bred him to 5 TB mares, and all the babies are extremely nice. Not too warmbloody, but great minds and movement you don't generally get from TBs.

I'm planning to breed my other mare to him next season because I really like how my gelding is maturing, and I think he'll make up into just what I wanted.
      They don't call me frugal for nothing.
      Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Comment

I have a yearling by Formula One out of a TB mare who went Intermediate, and a Hanoverian mare who went Intermediate in-foal to him also. He is a lovely lovely horse and I am VERY pleased with the yearling but she is looking like she is going to be BIG. Looking forward to them growing up and will probably use him again for "sale" foals especially, the market likes them big.... me, not so much, my Prelim horse is 15.2h.....

The TB mare was in foal to Future Illusion--lovely stallion--but reabsorbed and so far I have gone through about $6K on vet bills (with 2 different stallions, 3 different vets with good reps, 3 different mares, and about 20 heat cycles between them over three breeding seasons) without actually producing a foal via frozen. With fresh shipped and/or live cover we have almost 100% success rate! Not to say frozen doesn't work, we've just had extraordinarily bad luck, hubby will probably divorce me if I ever try frozen again.... :-)

So I am breeding her to my young TB stallion Seattle Jones, he is only 4 but he is doing extremely well, competing in YEH and BN and some low jumper classes. The TB mare is 15.3h, petite, nice mover, catty, kind of an opinionated brat sometimes....he is 16h, compact and powerful, really lovely mover, excellent jumper, and has the BEST temperament and work ethic, so I think he will complement her nicely.

The Hanoverian mare is going to get a 'bye' year as we bred her really late last year, she's not due to foal for another month.

I'm also breeding a 3/4 TB Irish Sporthorse mare to Jones, she is 9, has gone Training with 3 different riders, and she is almost 'too quiet' and could use a bit more suspension in her gaits. Great jump and temperament. While he is very easy to rate due to his trainability and work ethic, he DOES have more natural engine than she does :-) and a nice bit of suspension and natural collecting ability (my dressage trainer loves him), so we will see what he does for her.

In the future I'd definitely breed to Formula again, and am kind of curious to see how Cicera's Icewater's foals are doing..... he was on my short list but I was waiting to see some offspring results.....

Jennifer
        Third Charm Event Team

Comment

I have been breeding all of my mares to my stallion (Tatendrang - aka "Tate") and he has actually had a lot of outside interest this year as well.

Obviously I'm breeding him myself because he is mine LOL, but I do like what he is putting on the ground so far, and his babies seem to be more suited for dressage and/or eventing so far. But he only has one crop on the ground, and he has one foal coming this year (due anyday now) so I don't "put him out there" very much. I have him in training with Andrew Palmer and he is doing well - we plan on bumping him to Training this fall and over the summer we're concentrating on his dressage and SJ skills. We have gotten very positive feedback regarding his potential future from several peopel that would know but we're not in a huge hurry to push him (I want him for the long haul).

There are a couple of other TK stallions that I really like and have used/will use again it just depends on the mare that is being bred on which horse I would use.
          Emerald Acres standing the ATA, Trakehner Verband, sBs, RPSI, and ISR/OLD NA Approved Stallion, Tatendrang. Visit us at our Facebook Farm Page as well!

Comment

• Original Poster

Third Charm, I was looking at Future Illusion since I don't have a huge budget to work with.

This is my mare's full sister:
            http://www.pedigreequery.com/ultra+lily

jumping

confo

Physically, she's pigeon breasted and can't lift her knees up too high but powers off the ground behind so it's never been an issue. I would love to improve her gaits w/ some WB blood. She is already has a lovely uphill canter but a bigger walk and some bounce and pizazz would be great!

She's 15.2 and I'd like to stay around the 16 hand size.

Mentally, she is sensitive. She stresses easily in the dressage arena and isn't super confident XC. I would love to have a baby who wasn't difficult but was a very self-confident XC ride.
            Hillside Haven Farm

Comment

Third Charm how big was the mare you bred to Formula One? I am thinking about him for breeding to next year. You are the thrid person I know who feels his babies are on the bigger side and I like the bigger 16.2 + ones.

Originally posted by ThirdCharm View Post
              I have a yearling by Formula One out of a TB mare who went Intermediate, and a Hanoverian mare who went Intermediate in-foal to him also. He is a lovely lovely horse and I am VERY pleased with the yearling but she is looking like she is going to be BIG. Looking forward to them growing up and will probably use him again for "sale" foals especially, the market likes them big.... me, not so much, my Prelim horse is 15.2h.....

Jennifer
              "A little less chit-chat a little more pitter-pat"

Comment

Originally posted by mcorbett View Post
                Thinking about retiring and breeding my TB mare. I have some ideas of which stallions I like but I'm curious as to which stallions people are choosing now and why. Where is the sport going to be in 10 years? How do we choose stallions accordingly?
                I have my TB mare in foal to Cradilo - Grand Prix jumper Irish Draught. He has produced top level jumpers and eventers. He is by Kidalton Gold and has a great sport producing pedigree. I think the my mare will be a great nick for either eventing or the jumper ring There are several RIDs that I have used or plan on using that I think will make great eventers with the right TB.

I have a 1/4 ID, 1/2 TB, 1/4 Hano that sold in-utero this year to an eventer. I expect it could be an upper level horse
                Epona Farm
                Irish Draughts and Irish Draught Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

Comment

I have a 2010 filly by Escudo I out of my TB mare. Boyd had suggested him for my mare as he had bred to him before and thought he would compliment my mare (he and his family have a lot of experience in breeding). I've been very happy with the cross and will likely repeat it at some point.

This year I bred two mares for eventers and one for dressage (but it should also jump). I bred my TB mare to Grafenstolz. He himself has done well in both eventing, jumpers and dressage and has proven blood lines (plus he complimented my mare). I also really like the look of what he was producing out of a varity of mares.

I bred my dutch/TB mare to a Selle Francais called Desir du Chateau. My mare is the half sister of Rock on Rose by a sire whose lines I also know well. She herself is lovely to. Her date suited her well both as to his conformation, performance, bloodlines and I liked what he is producing (he has several UL jumpers and also a few UL eventers).

[I bred my giant 17.3 WB mare to Donarweiss for a dressage baby who will hopefully not be quite as tall as her!]

I aimed to produce athletic all around nice horses....ones with good minds but also a good jump and quality movement.

Picking a date for them is very tough! Lots of nice choices out there. I'm already thinking about my choices for next year....
                  ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Comment

• Original Poster

This is my first time breeding a mare! I've heard it said, which seemed very smart to me, that you should breed to a stallion that is similar to your mare but better to avoid a baby looking like spare parts. Would you all agree with this? Experiences?
                    Hillside Haven Farm

Comment

I have a mare bred to Tzigane *Pb*.
                      (fingers crossed she still has her little one when she goes for her 40 day check next week).

I've chosen him because I know him personally and I love him.
                      I've ridden a few of his kids and they are awesome.

He's evented, SJ to the FEI level, and is now in Germany showing in pure dressage and I believe going to event a little.

They all have great work ethic, are quiet, brave and great athletes.
                      He has kids of medium size (sized according to mare) and he's should coupled with a freaking huge neck that his kids get.

He mixes really well with TB.

and hey, it's not every day that the GERMANS come to the US for an American bred TK and take him back to Germany for breeding.

Sara Mittleider owns two Taz kids. Harry Houdini and Semper Fidelis

http://www.gestuet-majenfelderhof.de/hengste_taz_e.html
                      http://kaboomeventing.com/
                      http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
                      Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Comment

Originally posted by mcorbett View Post
                        This is my first time breeding a mare! I've heard it said, which seemed very smart to me, that you should breed to a stallion that is similar to your mare but better to avoid a baby looking like spare parts. Would you all agree with this? Experiences?

I don't stray to far from the phenotype of my mare but of course I'm always looking to improve on the parents. So I'm looking for a stallion that will enhance the good qualities of my mares and perhaps improve any weakness that I see. For example, my TB mare is a bit long in the top line. So I pick stallions for her who have a better topline and a propensity to pass on that topline.

Here is a different one of my mares (she is dutch/TB) (yes...she is very fat in this picture!).

and her date (scroll down for his picture):

http://www.morningside-stud.com/DesirduChateau.html
                        Last edited by bornfreenowexpensive; Jul. 10, 2012, 06:48 PM.
                        ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Comment

I just bred my lovely two star mare to A Fine Romance and couldn't be more optimistic about the cross. My mare is very similar in phenotype to him, but with a hotter more "pro-ride" temperament. He has produced Advanced eventers out of TB mares like mine, and is well known for passing along a great ammy temperament so it was an easy choice for me. Gail is absolutely fantastic to work with also. I was a bit hesitant about a full tb, I wanted 1/2 or 3/4 wb but I think this cross is going to be outstanding. Looking forward to doing the FEH and YEH with the resulting foal.

I also had Future Illusion (can't say enough good things about Julie and her knowledge base), Cicera's Icewater and Worthy Opponent on her short-list (Dana is incredibly helpful and friendly). You won't be disappointed with any of these stallions or owners for your TB mare.

My mare was *just* bred and is being checked next monday so cross your fingers for a little black dot!

Comment

• Original Poster

My mare

Future Illusion

Similar enough? He has a shorter back and looks more 'pony-like.' It looks like he might improve her shoulder w/o shortening her long neck.

I would love Viney's opinion on the potential coupling!
                            Hillside Haven Farm

Comment

• Original Poster

Desir du Chateau has beautiful LEGS! Bet he's as sound as they come
                              Hillside Haven Farm

Comment

I bred my Oldenburg mare last year to Mannhattan. http://www.avalon-equine.com/mannhattan.html. I love the colt I got out of the cross, so I am breeding my TB mare to him this year. I think I already have the baby sold if it's a colt. If it's a filly, I am keeping it for myself! Very rider friendly offspring that are very talented. Can't go wrong with this guy for brains and talent.

Bobbi
                                Bobbi
                                ~ Jus Passed My Zipper aka Spanky, 11yo QH gelding.
                                ~ Muskogee, 2yo Oldenburg Colt.

Comment

Mighty Magic - substance, with lots of sport horse TB lines and winning @ 2 star level - we'll see how his babies do - bred my Prelim/inter mare to him - she needed more movement but also height and more uphill Have another in foal to him for next year

Grafenstolz - fabulous mover, has competed in dressage/jumpers and event Some of the oldest babies @ 2 star level Bred to Riverman mare - we will see if this is also a pro's horse very fancy baby

Quite Easy - good movement, dressage and.jumping ability and rideability - for Riverman mare Offspring seem to have v good temperament

Trying to breed offspring that can also place in dressage and jump if they turn out not to like going xc - need to be able to market to other disciplines since eventers are notorious for not wanting to buy babies....
                                  http://www.cngsporthorses.com

Comment

Bravo has bred a lot of TB mares this year for eventing.

I absolutely agree with Elizabeth Callahan that these are some of the best event stallions available on the market today. I've looked at them all and hope to breed to some of them also.
                                    But if you'd like to take a chance on a young event sire, born and bred here in the usa, for a greatly reduced stud fee... I'd like to offer...

Bravo...
                                    He has bred a lot of TB mares over the last few years especially for eventing because he adds movement and better hind ends. Many of his offspring from 2007 are in event homes with well proven riders.

Unfortunately, since he's only 7, he doesn't have the proven offspring record of some of the old stallions.

2004 Oldenburg by Bugatti Hilltop and o/o Gauguin's Idea/ Gauguin de Lully (Olympic Champion).

Numerous site champions, premiums, and show wining offspring on the ground. Currently doing exceptionally well at Prelim and we plan to move him to 1* later in the season.
                                    2011 videos of Bravo.

Dressage - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qa93ckrdGmI

Stadium- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmbCl2-UUuM

Cross Country- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vk55w3MLZBw

Out of full TB mares:
                                    Brimstone

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Giaky...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqg7rfZf3u4

Bandari- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrY_O2oEuoA
                                    Last edited by misita; Jul. 1, 2011, 10:58 PM.
                                    Chris Misita
                                    www.hiddenvalleyfarms.net Home of Bravo and Warrick!
                                    To dare; progress comes at this price. All sublime conquests are, more or less, the rewards of daring.
                                    Victor Hugo

Comment

You do want a stallion who is fairly close to your mare in conformation. And you need to look at the grandparents, since it seems that they are far more influential that we had previously believed. Don't pick a stallion until you have done exhaustive research on him, his progeny, their accomplishments, his parents and their accomplishments, along with his close relatives--uncles, aunts, sisters and brothers, and halfs of all these.

That said, I'd also look at Lotus T and Navarone. Navarone had an offspring that started Badminton this year. It didn't finish, but the start seems to prove that he's a confirmed 3* horse. Navarone is now in North America. IIRC, he's either KWPN or BWP.

What eventing will be like in 10 years, it seems to me, depends on whether the dressage coefficient is retained and whether the CCI is not replaced by CICs. And if the course designers finally get short format courses right, which they seem to be doing.

For eventing today, the US stallion that seems to have the most get making it up the levels with quite a few at 2* would be Aberjack. I'd say he's the most consistent eventing stallion that we have in the US today, Riverman not excluded. If you're sticking to North American stallions, he's probably the best percentage bet if he's a match for your mare. His 2* horses are performing in eventing as it now.
                                      "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
                                      Thread killer Extraordinaire

Comment

I have an Aberjack mare too--half sister to two of my other horses so it is interesting to see the difference between them. I will probably not be breeding her as while she is nice, my other mares are a bit better but yes, he is a nice stallion and brings some good things into the equation.

Comment

Working...
                                        X