• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Am I rightfully mad about this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I rightfully mad about this?

This may turn into a rant real easily... I'm fuming.

I am riding in a two day clinic next week that takes place at two facilities. The woman, the BM of the facility that is hostingthe clinic on the first day is arranging the whole thing. Entries were sent to her, she's arranging the schedule, etc.

So two days ago she sends out the ride times for both days. There are quite a handful of riders that are going as Novice so she has made two groups of them it seems. One is going at 7:30am and the other at 10:30. No one was informed of when rides would begin so I had no clue things would start as early as 7:30.

She put me in the 7:30 group.

Let's get some things straight now... I am not riding my own horse (she belongs to my trainer),I am atleast a 2 1/2 hour drive from the facility, and another girl from my barn is riding in the 10:30 group. I told the BM all of this right away when I saw the times. Granted, she had no way of knowing this, but like I said, I honestly did not imagine rides starting before 9:00. I also told her that if I was expected to be riding this early I would be coming completely alone since my trainer works overnight and would not be able to come drive with me, let alone see me ride, not to mention the other girl that is coming later. I have no one else to come with me. Boyfriend has work, mom is having health issues that prevent her from driving very long, dad just got a new job and can't ask off. I would be driving into another state alone, which I am not entirely comfortable with. Basically, I would be getting up at around 3:00am to get there in time to feed the horse breakfast and let it digest in time. That is ridiculous to me, especially for a clinic... it's not a show.

She refuses to put me in the 10:30 group, citing that there are already 5 riders. This seems like a stupid reason because someone in that group has got to be more local than me. I recognized many of the names on the list and I know those people are atleast from that area of the state. I asked if any of these closer riders could be switched with me. I am waiting for a reply...

Am I being irrational or too demanding by saying I am not exactly willing to wake up in the wee hours of the morning to drive a long distance alone and ride someone else's horse alone when the owner of said horse, and another rider of hers are coming for the second group? My trainer is saying that I should threaten to pull out of the second day of the clinic and demand a refund to see if that will get her to budge. Or, ask the clinician himself if I could join the later group... which I'm thinking may come across as way to bold and conceited looking.

I really, really do not want to skip the second day of the clinic. I have wanted to ride with this clinician for a long time now and I finally had the money to enter and the horse was available. I do not get to go out often to anything and this is a serious opportunity for me.
    Tru : April 14, 1996 - March 14, 2011
    Thank you for everything boy.

Better View.

There are some organizers like that down here. It makes you appreciate the flexible ones.
    I hope someone will switch with you. I'd prefer to ride at 7:30 given th. e choice so maybe you'll get lucky.
    www.ncsporthorse.com

Comment

Don't contact the clinician. It is not his job to work out scheduling issues. If you asked about switching with another rider, wait and see what comes of that. You might be stuck with the earlier time- happens sometimes. I've ridden in clinics as early as 7am; maybe this is a lesson to speak to the organizers ahead of time if you are traveling a distance and have time preferences. I wouldn't skip the second day out of spite, though, especially if you want to ride with this person so badly. You need to decide if the ride and the experience is worth the inconvenience of leaving early.

Comment

Why don't you ask someone from the later group if they'll switch with you? And did you ask the clinic organizer if she could switch you with someone else? From your explanation it sounds like you whined about it and asked if she could move you (I totally respect her decision not to add another rider to an already large-sized group), but did you actually ask if there was anyone she could switch you with?

It doesn't sound like the clinic organizer is being irrational....not terribly accomodating to you, perhaps, but I don't think she sounds in the wrong. Especially if she didn't know your preferences ahead of time. There are a lot of details that go into planning clinics, and I can't blame her for not wanting to move around a bunch of stuff for one rider who's doesn't *want* to go early, but *can.*

It's your own choice to do a clinic that far away. I often do the same thing. I've been in 7:30am sections many times where I've got a 30 minute ferry boat ride and 2-3 hours of driving time in front of me. I usually plan things to get to the clinic place at or around 7. How much time do you think your horse needs to digest food? I certainly don't worry about that in a clinic setting. I let my horse eat as I'm tacking up and then feed any grain (or whatever else they get) after the session.

I would take a deep breath, talk to the riders in the 10:30 section to see if anyone would be interested in switching with you, and then go with whatever times work out.

Comment

Honestly...you are being unfair.

To me...this is more your problem than the organizers. You can be nice and ask to see if any of the riders in the 10:30 group will switch with you but getting up early to go to a clinic alone isn't a big deal. I have gotten up as early as 3am MANY times for the 2-3 hour drive alone to a clinic or competition---a few times I've gotten up early!

You needed to have said your concerns (not riding before 9am and wanting to be in the same group as your barnmate) when you entered...not after the times are set. Just use this as a lesson learned.

Whether you choose to drop out or not is your choice...but if you did, to me you shouldn't get any money back.
          Last edited by bornfreenowexpensive; Jun. 25, 2011, 04:36 PM.
          ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Comment

Sorry, but my opinion is that if you enter a clinic or show, you need to be prepared to ride any time that day (from 7:00 am to 6:00 pm). Since you are eager to ride with this clinician, I am assuming he/she is popular. Why would you ever assume rides would not start until after 9:00 am?

In a busy clinic or show setting, there will always be times that are better than others. Sometimes you get lucky on the draw and sometimes you don't. Demanding your money back because you don't like your ride time is just plain ridiculous and would be a one way ticket to being deleted from any clinic I organized in the future (and I seriously question your trainer's judgement in suggesting you make threats to try to improve your ride time... totally unacceptable).

You can always make special requests, but you are not entitled to them. If you can only ride in a specific window, either don't enter or see if the organizer will accept a conditional entry (e.g. if you can't schedule me between certain hours, please don't schedule me at all). An Organizer is not obligated to accommodate you and please don't make such requests simply out of convenience. Guess what? ... no one is thrilled to draw that early slot. Sometimes, you need to suck it up and ride and not play diva.

Comment

Honestly? If no one is willing to switch and you're really looking forward to working with the clinician, you should just go. Yes, the organizer is being difficult. But you're only punishing yourself and I doubt she'd offer a refund. I wouldn't go over her head and talk to the clinician either as that would come across as unprofessional.

FWIW I routinely have to travel 2 1/2 hours to get anywhere and this happens more often than not, even when I request a later time. My alarm has gone off before 2 AM on occasions.

I hope someone switches with you. Getting up four hours before the sun isn't my idea of a good time either.
              The big guy: Lincoln

Southern Maryland Equestrian

Comment

If this is the clinic I'm thinking of then considering that stabling was offered at a very reasonable rate for 3 days, and free day stabling at the XC facility I think you are being a tad unreasonable.

This is a very popular clinic especially in light of recent events, and they offered a lot of different level groupings and even semi/ and privates. That's a lot to fit into 2 days. Most clinics I have been to start at 8ish, so I'm not sure why 7:30 is such a surprise. And I think it's a little unreasonable to expect the organizer to rearrange other people's schedule to serve you. If you needed to be in the same group as the other girl you could have put a note on the entry.

I do agree with PNWJumper that you could nicely ask a more local 10 oclock rider if they might switch with you... but they may have their own reasons for not being able to do so. You could also ask the XC facility if you could take the horse there for just that night between and the day stabling for a small extra charge. You gotta do what you gotta do, but I don't think the organizer should have to refund you your money.

Comment

• Original Poster

I do not know anyone in the 10:30 group... recognize some names, but don't actually know them. Would it be approprite to ask the organizer for their e-mails and contact them myself?

It's not just the early wake up issue... it's the having to drive there myself thing, especially driving home. I am not a good tired driver. I have scared myself a couple times with close calls because of driving tired and by myself. This is why I wanted to ride with my trainer and the other girl or have a family member/bf with me. I would actually be a bit concerned for my own safety driving home after such an early morning, nevertheless making sure I get there without getting lost in the first place.

Better View.

Comment

Originally posted by Duckz View Post
                    I wouldn't go over her head and talk to the clinician either as that would come across as unprofessional.
                    An Organizer is way more valuable to a clinician than any single rider. It is the Organizer than hires and pays the clinician. Typically, it is a very mutual relationship, but it is clear that anyone that would talk about "going over the Organizer's head to the Clinician" has no idea how the process works. Consider volunteering for a clinic and/or show to understand how the process works and why your whining about a ride time falls on deaf ears.

OP: Either pull up your big girl panties and figure out a solution (e.g. go the night before, etc.) or withdraw. Just don't expect a refund because you don't like your ride time. Seriously.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by seeuatx View Post
                      If this is the clinic I'm thinking of then considering that stabling was offered at a very reasonable rate for 3 days, and free day stabling at the XC facility I think you are being a tad unreasonable.

Either we are not thinking of the same clinic or you heard wrong. Stabling at the XC facility is not free. The rate has nothing to do with it... the horse is only stabling one night at the XC facility. That was a given, never an issue.

Better View.

Comment

Um, If its a two day clinic and you ride at 2:00 on Tues. and &:7:30 on Wed. Wouldn't you be stabling over Tues nite?

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by SLR View Post
                          Um, If its a two day clinic and you ride at 2:00 on Tues. and &:7:30 on Wed. Wouldn't you be stabling over Tues nite?
                          Yes. I said that... the horses are stabling at the second facility Tuesday night so that they'll be there Wednesday morning. Getting the horses there is not the issue. Getting myself there is.

Better View.

Comment

Originally posted by katie+tru View Post
                            I do not know anyone in the 10:30 group... recognize some names, but don't actually know them. Would it be approprite to ask the organizer for their e-mails and contact them myself?

It's not just the early wake up issue... it's the having to drive there myself thing, especially driving home. I am not a good tired driver. I have scared myself a couple times with close calls because of driving tired and by myself. This is why I wanted to ride with my trainer and the other girl or have a family member/bf with me. I would actually be a bit concerned for my own safety driving home after such an early morning, nevertheless making sure I get there without getting lost in the first place.

Perfectly fine to ask the organizer about checking for you if someone wants to switch. I've organized many clinics and done that for people before.

You should be fine--if you can work a normal work week...there is no reason you can't make a drive like this a few days in a row. Just make sure you get to BED EARLY the night before, pack some snacks for the drive and if you feel tired while driving...make a pit stop, get out of your truck and get a soda or coffee. Learn to be a bit more independent....and smart about things. Make sure you sleep, stay hydrated at the clinic and eat food. The key is get a good nights sleep...if you got 6-8 hours you should be fine no matter what time you get up!

I compete a LOT by my self...and get up early. While nice to have people with you...it is also very nice to be independent enough (because I know how to manage myself) to be able to do it alone.
                            ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Comment

You are just one person in what sounds like a very busy clinic with an in demand clinician. Threatening to cancel will get you nowhere, as will the complaining and negotiating. This is a case in which you are going to have to suck it up and do what you have to to make it work if you want to participate. Honestly, getting up at 3am and driving a few hours alone is a small price to pay to ride with a clinician you really want to ride with. Shoot, many of us do that kind of thing on a regular basis for reasons FAR less fun, but just because I have to to meet an obligation, like work travel or dealing with family health emergencies.

Comment

I think the OP is rightfully angry. Given that two riders from the same barn were coming from some distance away (which would have been obvious from the entry forms) it was inconsiderate of the organizer to put the two riders at different times, especially when one of the times was 7:30 am. There are always lots of clinics to attend. If it were me, I would boycott this organizer in the future.

Comment

I think its completely reasonable for you to request that the organizer change your ride time so you won't have to get up early. After all, they should know that you are special, and other people should get the early ride time so you can be accomodated. Especially since you did not tell the organizer up front that you might have an issue with your drive time. Since you are so special, she should have known that.
                                  Better yet, why don't you get her to change the clinician's flight times, so he can stay longer, and so she can start the XC portion of the clinic later to please you.
                                  There appears to be a pattern here.

Comment

Originally posted by Angelray View Post
                                    I think the OP is rightfully angry. Given that two riders from the same barn were coming from some distance away (which would have been obvious from the entry forms) it was inconsiderate of the organizer to put the two riders at different times, especially when one of the times was 7:30 am. There are always lots of clinics to attend. If it were me, I would boycott this organizer in the future.

Spoken like someone who has never organized a significant clinic and probably not attended that many. I organize clinics all the time....there is absolutely NO WAY in HELL that I would be able to tell people are from the same farm even IF you put an address on the entry--nor would I keep track of that when setting the times. If they put a note that they would prefer a later time...or are coming with a rider that they named...then, yes. I would keep track of that information and try to accomodate them. But to assume that the orgnaizer will sort that out off your entry is so totally unreasonable as to be laughable.

Comment

Originally posted by katie+tru View Post
                                      Yes. I said that... the horses are stabling at the second facility Tuesday night so that they'll be there Wednesday morning. Getting the horses there is not the issue. Getting myself there is.

Ok, I might be getting mixed up here, but the horse is already at the facility and the fuss is to get yourself there in time to feed for your 7:30 ride?
                                      If you don't have horses and/or responsabilities at home, I'd spend the night in a hotel. If you add up gas costs of driving back and forth, it'll probably come out to the same.

Comment

Wow! I get up that early to drive to a show and scribe!
                                        "Rock n' roll's not through, yeah, I'm sewing wings on this thing." --Destroyer
                                        http://dressagescriblog.wordpress.com/

Comment

Working...
                                        X