• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Not the answer I was looking for...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not the answer I was looking for...

Total whine post. You have been warned!

If you've read my other posts, I've been looking for a new saddle for the Goobinator and myself. I've mostly ridden in my Crosby PDN, yes a pancake saddle, for events. My trainer at the time checked the saddle and said yes, this would work. I bought an AP late last summer at my trainer's strong suggestion for out last event in August and foxhunting. I thought my saddles fit my horse decently, plenty of wither clearance, no obvious pinching or bridging. I ride him in a plain saddle pad and a sheepskin half-pad.

I noticed him acting "cold backed" this winter, which is a new thing (owned him for 7 years). I took it as him living outside and not staying in a cushy stall before I rode, making his muscles "colder." I had my vet check out the fit of these 2, plus my dressage saddle in April. Saddles were cleared as "fitting." I noticed a very reactive spot along his spine on both sides this Spring (I don't remember exactly when), asked my trainer when the Chiropractor was going to be out. Trainer made calls, couldn't reach Chiro for a while.

Chiro finally came out yesterday. NONE of my saddles fit my entire horse! Apparently, my horse is the equivalent of a pear shaped woman, narrower at the withers than at the thoracic vertebrae. Which is why my saddles fit through his withers/shoulders and I haven't had any glaring issues. I pulled out my trainer's new saddle that I was going to purchase, but she beat me to it. The one where my horse stretched up through his back and said "oh, yeah, that's the one!" Nope, not going to work either...

So I feel like a complete failure at horsemanship at this point. Letting my horse deal with a crappy saddle fit for SEVEN years and ignorant me, didn't have a clue! Blaming him for being lazy/clever for not coming through his back and me not riding him "tough" enough to get him pushing off his hind end. I've had other Chiropractors out and they didn't catch it either, so it makes me feel like not a complete "newb."

Good news: New Chiro has saddler contacts! I'm going to send her wither/back tracings and pictures and she's going to help find a saddle that fits my horse's back. And she only charged me a travel fee, since according to her "I can't do anything now, it will just go back as soon as you ride in your saddles again!"

Bad news: New(to me) saddle is going to cost more than my original budget of $1000... I can sell my others, but I have to ride in something until we find the needle in a haystack and my other 3 aren't going to bring in mucho dinero (maybe $1000 for all three).

Anyone have some good cheese?

I would get a second opinion!

Comment

Originally posted by smokescreen View Post
      I would get a second opinion!
      Agreed. This new chiro COULD be just better/more observant/ better saddle fitter than the other chiro's you have used. Or she could be full of it. If other chiro's have given you the all clear, get a second opinion with a saddle fitter, maybe one the chiro doesn't deal with. Who did she recommend?

Comment

Chiro may make commission or get referrals for making referrals to saddle fitters. If everyone else thinks it fits, I would get an independent, reputable saddle fitter out for another opinion. There are many reasons horses don't use their backs well, saddle fit is only one.

We all are left to the knowledge of the people we hire to work on our horses. You have had your saddle checked in the past. I see nothing that makes you a bad at horsemanship. I have had countless differing opinions on horse situations, medical care and farrier services over the years. All we can do is educate ourselves as much as possible, get recommendations from respected horse professionals, and give it a try.

Until horses can explain in a more detailed, verbal manner, we will be left to make the best possible choice we can for them, given the situation. Sounds like you are doing that.

Comment

• Original Poster

I am planning on doing a wither tracing and sending it to multiple saddle fitters for multiple opinions on what would be the best fit.

This chiropracter is highly recommended in this area, however it is my first time using her services.

Comment

Originally posted by Heliodoro View Post
            .. This chiropracter is highly recommended in this area ...
            By who? Sorry to be a little hard to please ... it is not hard for a product or person to get a good rep among people who do not feel they are experts in the field, simply through self-promotion. And when there are so many factors at work, if there is a change, it can be hard to say exactly which factor was responsible, or which combination. If that makes sense.

Personally I'd go by the riders with the most expertise of their own, and more importantly, the most at stake. Serious competitors who are good at keeping their horses healthy and in the game. The level doesn't matter as much as their commitment and track record of healthy horses.

I'm noticing that you are more excited about what this chiro has to say than others who you have worked with in the past. Usually when more than one expert agrees on something, that strengthens the evidence it is correct. This chiro has given you a different answer than the others. No idea myself who is right. Just an honest question - what makes her better than all of them?

Comment

• Original Poster

The new chiro has been recommended by multiple trainers, friends, an old farrier and clients of my current trainer(including racing TBs). Half the time they were singing her praises, I wasn't needing chiro services or asking for references.

I don't think she's in it to make a quick buck or commission. I am leery of the whole "everything you have is wrong, let me see what high end saddle I can find just for you!" However, I have been having a hell of a time finding a saddle that seems to be the right fit. Four people at my barn have been searching for saddles and each saddle that looks like a remote possibility has been thrown on his back "just to see if it would work." The cold backed issue this winter hints at my most current purchase, the AP, as that's what I generally rode in all winter.

That and her explanations were easily explained to me, but not dumbed down or overly technical. We brought out a few saddles and she was able to put pressure on one area to demonstrate the effect on my horse's back. The chiro looked at a fellow boarder's horse first, she's also saddle shopping (new horse) and was explaining how that horse's back contours would work with different types of saddles and what to look for. After that small session, once I brought my horse into the aisle, I could see before she said a word, that the painful area was not "normal," like a weakening in the muscles (not quite atrophy). That's what this woman narrowed in on. But I almost wonder if it's a chicken-egg question...

Comment

I'm in WNY too, just curious, who was the chiro? I only know of two in this area... Feel free to PM me.

I used Christian Lowe several years ago and he was wonderful. Turns out my saddle fit the horse fine bar a few adjustments that were made with a shim pad. I was really pleased he didn't try to "upsell" me, and the horse was happy with the result too.

http://www.ridgemountsaddlery.com/
                We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Comment

Off topic from saddles, but I suggest you try chiro and accupuncture together. My vet does both and it has done wonders for my horse (and this is from a previous skeptic!). I had a dressage saddle that took me a while to realize didn't fit him - several months! I got rid of it 6 months before the vet came to do chiro/accu, but there were still effects. In fact, one accu site caused his back hair on the left side to stand up in the EXACT shape of my old dressage saddle's panels. Crazy!

Anyway, we have tried chiro previously, but the combination of chiro/accu did wonders for him in many ways.

Comment

Originally posted by FlashGordon View Post
                    I'm in WNY too, just curious, who was the chiro? I only know of two in this area... Feel free to PM me.
                    Ditto!
                    Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
                    Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
                    VW sucks.

Comment

Working...
                    X