• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Great comments from William Fox Pitt!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great comments from William Fox Pitt!

Great comments from William Fox Pitt in the latest issue of Eventing USA:

"Riders are often trying hard to get to 70% in the dressage when they should be working on their jumping balance"

"I make my students ride in gallop position in trot and canter with no rein contact and no hands on the neck, as there is no point in trying to progress until a good balance is in place."

"It is a great concern to me that so many riders are out of balance between fences, and then too stiff and upright on the approach to the fence"

http://www.MyVirtualEventingCoach.com
    Facebook page

Great comments. Just reiterates that riding really has gone down the commode . No wonder the rise in injuries.

Thanks for posting that.

Comment

Very interesting. After having gotten to watch him ride in person for the first time this spring, his fluency and balance in the saddle really is a cut above even the "average" elite-level rider, and it is remarkable (at least to someone like me, who hasn't thought as much about it before) how much that balance and core makes him look MUCH safer and more competent than most even while tackling the most ridiculous cross country questions.

Does he ever clinic in the US? It would be really interesting to see this teaching style/exercises in person.
      http://greybrookeventing.blogspot.com/
      http://kerickso.tumblr.com

Comment

I thought they were really great comments as well.

Comment

A few years ago, someone posted a link to an online Master clinic that William Fox Pitt had given. Watching it changed my cross country two point forever.

If somebody remembers the link, maybe they would post it. You have to sit through four youtube like sessions, but the time is well worth it.

The key is spending enough time in the tack, in your two point, to build up the strength in your legs and abdominal muscles.

This year, I have included leg weight exercises at the gym, knee re-hab exercises, around two hundred crunches and 45 min. on the recumbent cycle, three to four days a week, plus riding 5-6 days/week.

I just rode in clinics with Robin Walker and Jim Graham, both of whom said that my two point is strong.

If I had not watched the Master clinic, I probably would have still been plopping and bopping on Tessie's back, going around cross country.
          When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

Comment

Go hunting - you will achieve that balance.
            ... _. ._ .._. .._

Comment

Every time I condition (twice a week) I am in 2 point if the horse is going faster than a walk. Once in a while, I will post when we're trotting, but I found a few years ago that my position was weak - my instructor had me try to stand vertically while trotting around - HELLO! Couldn't do it. And I was finding I was getting tired on XC and sore the next day.

So I started spending more time in 2-point. At first I found trotting really hard - it's harder to balance than the canter. Now it's easy and I can spend 10 minutes straight trotting in 2 point without getting tired. I don't put my hands on her neck either, although I do try to keep her working - this is also a lot harder than if you are sitting or posting, but now I don't get tired or sore after an event - at least not from the riding part.

If I want more of a workout I raise my stirrups, but with my spooky horse that has it's drawbacks!

Get out there, it's good for you and your horse!

Comment

Gee, I didn't know he had been watching me ride ;-)

Comment

My Eventing mag just came yesterday, and the "Year in the Life of Boyd Martin" series talked about his disastrous Southern Pines Event where he flipped Holly Hudspeth's horse and ended up the hospital. Boyd says that not enough eventers focus on doing the part that counts for the most at an event - we focus on the dressage sooooo much, just like W F-P says, and that he took his horses to Mark Weissbecker's lovely facility to school before the Fork, which paid off big-time.

It really made me think hard, too. Once I get my horse back going again, I'm going to spend a lot of time working on my balance for jumping. I've spent all this time improving his dressage that the xc has really taken a backseat. Thanks, Boyd and WFP - we needed this kick in the pants!
                  "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

So, the Zen Buddhist says to the hotdog vendor, "Make me one with everything."

Comment

So true. I have a green 5 y/o horse who is quite lovely, but the balance is key! If he's not balanced, then I don't do a good job jumping him. Luckily I have fantastic trainers who are working with us to get it right!

Comment

Dressage coefficient, anyone?
                      "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
                      Thread killer Extraordinaire

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Auburn View Post
                        The key is spending enough time in the tack, in your two point, to build up the strength in your legs and abdominal muscles.

Or you could not expend the effort, and just lean on the neck like the ICP preaches. You know....the new "American" way.

Facebook page

Comment

I'm going to post some photos from the Chamberlin book "Training Hunters, Jumpers, and Hacks."

Whatever happened?
                          "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
                          Thread killer Extraordinaire

Comment

Posted by lsteveson:

Or you could not expend the effort, and just lean on the neck like the ICP preaches.
                            Anyone remember C.W. Anderson (I think that is the right spelling), .... he was an illustrator. He did the "Billy and Blaze" books.

He also did a book called "Horse Show" and it was humorous illustrations of all of the characters at the hunt-seat horse show (of course).

For one of those illustrations he did the *leaning on the neck with your eyes closed seat* and he called it the:

"Now I lay me down to sleep seat" .

Comment

Ok so the question stands then, if you're truly balanced in two point and therefore don't lean on the neck with your hands, what do you do with your hands?

Seriously, I've been working on strengthening my two point position and I usually fall back to bridging my reins or grabbing a neck strap, but Monday I noticed I really wasn't using the bridge as a point of contact/balance point. After years of grabbing the neck strap instead of my horse's mouth, it's going to be a hard habit to break if it's a vastly different position.

Comment

YOUR HORSE videos: WFP - Preparing to go XC

Originally posted by Auburn View Post
                                A few years ago, someone posted a link to an online Master clinic that William Fox Pitt had given. Watching it changed my cross country two point forever.

If somebody remembers the link, maybe they would post it. You have to sit through four youtube like sessions, but the time is well worth it.

:
                                I think it might have been these demo videos of William and Moon Man (aka Bob…who has since passed away) when they did a presentation at YOUR HORSE LIVE in the UK. I posted back in February 2008 when Moon Man died from colic. The link for the series of 8 videos is below click on "Play Video"

http://www.yourhorse.co.uk/Improve-y...Cross-Country/

"William Fox-Pitt explains the importance of good preparation before you go competing – with exercises and advice on how to build confidence and suppleness. Riding his world-famous 16-year-old event horse Moon Man, William passes on his expert training tips in this inspiring demo"

Comment

Your hands are still supposed to be on their neck, not floating around. It just means don't lean your weight on them and use them to hold yourself on.

I have many of my students ride, gallop and jump a few times in an exercise saddle. I find it shows them a great deal about their balance and position.
                                  Shop online at
                                  www.KoperEquine.com
                                  http://sweetolivefarm.com/services.php

Comment

Posted by Heliodoro:

Ok so the question stands then, if you're truly balanced in two point and therefore don't lean on the neck with your hands, what do you do with your hands?
                                    Your hands are NOT really supposed to touch the neck, per se, they are supposed to *follow* the horses mouth. One hand on each side of the neck as each hand reaches forward to follow the mouth with CONTACT during the extension of the neck of the jumping horse.

The line from bit to elbow is supposed to be the same (ie. NOT broken). The elbow must follow the horse's mouth just like it does on the flat. The shoulder to elbow line becomes the *hinge* that allows great extension over the BIG jumps. On smaller jumps the shoulder to elbow hinge does not have to reach as far.

There should be a very soft backward *pull* of the elbow at all times (on the flat as well as over jumps). It is not a forceful pull, only enough to keep your elbow back in line (now we are talking the vertical line) with the shoulder-elbow-hip-ankle line. It should be a loose, supple pull.

This makes the rider's body a hinging system that follows the horse in perfect (we hope) balance whether doing flatwork or jumping.

The REASON for always maintaining a contact with the horse's mouth is because the rider can make the fastest communication to the horse. The aids are right in place at all times. If you are landing over a jump and want to take a hard right ... you should be able to rebalance the horse between the legs, seat and the contact of the bit. The rider should not *haul* the horse around a sharp turn . You should do a semi-pirouette.

If the horse stumbles on the landing the rider can actually *catch* the horse and transfer the weight to the haunches and most likely save themselves from a possibly more serious fall.

You (the rider) should never lose contact with the horse's mouth. That is your line of immediate communication. You can feel your horse through the bit. The contact does become stronger proportionately the faster you go. The contact is stronger at a hand gallop, but as soon as you ask your horse to *come back into your hand* they should respond and begin to listen more to your seat ... as you reset your pace.

Comment

Originally posted by BaroquePony View Post
                                      You (the rider) should never lose contact with the horse's mouth. That is your line of immediate communication. You can feel your horse through the bit. The contact does become stronger proportionately the faster you go. The contact is stronger at a hand gallop, but as soon as you ask your horse to *come back into your hand* they should respond and begin to listen more to your seat ... as you reset your pace.
                                      wonderful!! You just validated what my trainer has been trying to get into my head for a while. We're going to talk about this and maybe my dense brain will start to get it. My horse will be soooo grateful!

Comment

Just rode with Lucinda Green at Ledyard. She had the hardest time getting some riders to do the "rag doll" walking approach to a small ditch. (in which you walk up to the ditch- no trotting allowed, on the buckle and your horse jumps leaving you in the back seat).

But part of it is developing the balance to stay with your horse no matter how ugly the jump, and part of it is getting really independent with your aids.

Interesting that it dovetails with these other BTE (big time eventers).
                                        They don't call me frugal for nothing.
                                        Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Comment

Working...
                                        X