• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Pelham with Roundings - Curb Chain or Not?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pelham with Roundings - Curb Chain or Not?

So, in my never ending search for the perfect bit, I've twice tried a mullen mouth Happy Mouth pelham. Both times I used roundings (converters) and a curb chain. Both times I really liked the bit - right up to the point where my guy started curling so much I couldn't see his ears (about 10 minutes into the schooling session). That's not good when galloping across country with jumps that don't fall down. But that's been our problem - curling. Could it be the curb chain leverage that he's trying to escape? Can one effectively use a pelham without the curb chain?

As an aside, I'm moving on to a waterford full cheek or baucher. I have both but am not sure which, if either, will have a more lifting effect.

A pelham without the curb chain is also known as a mullen mouth snaffle. Nothing wrong with it, but it's vastly different in its effect.

Horses that curl under with a pelham are trying to avoid the curb action. You can ride with the curb chain looser, or you can use the bit properly, with two reins, and just keep the curb rein quite loose and only "deploy" it when necessary. However, some horses become wise to the pelham, worry, and curl.

IMO the use of bit converters with a pelham turns a reasonably good bit with lots of options and potential for subtlety into basically a Kimberwicke. And there's nothing WRONG with a Kimberwicke, but subtle they ain't.

Have you tried a Myler combination bit? LOVE them, and I typically loathe "gadget" bits. I have a (pink!) plastic-mouthed pelham that gets pulled out about twice a year when Bonnie forgets that her big head is HER responsibility to carry around, but don't like how it makes her curl--a learned response that tells me it's too much for her. At first the pelham was MAGIC for her but she's more educated now and it's just more than she needs except in rare, remedial situations.

I can ride her on the flat in a loose ring french-link snaffle, and also in SJ, but for XC I really like the Myler level 1 combination bit, the one with only two rings (found in the western section) because it acts just like a snaffle--no curb or nose action--unless SHE decides to pull.
    Click here before you buy.

Comment

Originally posted by deltawave View Post

IMO the use of bit converters with a pelham turns a reasonably good bit with lots of options and potential for subtlety into basically a Kimberwicke. And there's nothing WRONG with a Kimberwicke, but subtle they ain't.
      A little off topic, but does anyone run xc in a pelham with two reins? I thought about it for five seconds then imagined all the ways that could go wrong!
      The big guy: Lincoln

Southern Maryland Equestrian

Comment

• Original Poster

Deltawave: Ever try a crescent nose band? It seems that it, too, creates pressure on the nose when they start to pull too hard. My worry with that is that with no flash there is nothing to keep the mouth closed. Wouldn't this allow the horse to evade the bit? I do like the concept of getting rid of the leverage. BTW, he does the same thing in a 3 ring when using the second ring.

Comment

What about something like this? They come with different mouthpieces...

http://www.bitofbritain.com/Wonder_B...ink_p/1060.htm
          Balanced Care Equine

Comment

I don't really like the converters. The whole point is to have the curb when you need it and the snaffle when you don't. A converter makes the bit a lot less subtle and harsher.

Comment

I have found the step up to a 2 ring or a kimberwicke a big one. Which is why I like my in between steps, because not every horse that doesnt listen well enough to a snaffle on xc needs a big step up in bit. I hate the feeling of riding a horse in too much bit, at first Im all "yay he stops" but then I feel like I cant ride them into a contact and they arent looking for the fences.

Cherry roller - horses who hate thick bits wont like it, but I like it for horses who grab the bit, but generally dont use their whole neck as a lever against you.

Wonder bit - snaffle not enough, elevator too much, this is in between. Feels like a snaffle in your hands, but just with a little lift that doesnt seem to piss off the fussy ones and doesnt seem to curl the evasive ones. My curler goes really well in this bit.

Comment

I have tried most of the gadget nosebands but much prefer not to use them--if they don't fit PERFECTLY they just don't seem to help.

I have hunted in a pelham with two reins, ages ago, and not had problems. Would prefer not to go XC with two reins but I feel like I'm competent to do so if necessary.
                Click here before you buy.

Comment

If you can't use a pelham with two reins, then you can't use a pelham. Have you tried a Kineton noseband? They're the bees' knees.
                  Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
                  Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
                  VW sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Duckz View Post
                    A little off topic, but does anyone run xc in a pelham with two reins? I thought about it for five seconds then imagined all the ways that could go wrong!
                    I have used two reins lots of times, both with a pelham (Happy Mouth mullen mouth....my FAVORITE "big" bit) and with ring bits. I PREFER two reins as I think, as dw said, it gives you lots of options. The best example was a young draft cross mare I was preparing to start hunting one summer. She was a pretty good girl 95% of the time, but had a big heavy shoulder and neck and could get a little heavy. When I would be out with her, especially on fast hunt trail rides, I could ride her almost completely on the snaffle rein, but if she got a little heavy and careless with her feet, I'd pick the curb rein up and "pop" her up with it to remind her how to carry herself, then drop it again. This made for MUCH more pleasant rides, as I'm not terribly big, and if I tried to use dressagey half halts on her while out with a whole herd of horses, galloping along, we'd just wear each other out. Two reins are EXCELLENT.
                    Amanda

Comment

I was going to suggest a Kineton. I use mine with a figure-8 which solves the mouth opening issue as well.
                      The Evil Chem Prof

Comment

Originally posted by amastrike View Post
                        If you can't use a pelham with two reins, then you can't use a pelham.
                        You should probably let Mark Todd know he cant use a pelham then.

Comment

• Original Poster

I have used the wonder/loop ring/wilkie with a french link and it is great except for the no breaks part. He won't tolerate a single joint, thus the link. Actually, that's probably where I'm going to end up but it would be nice to have an emergency break if I need it. Anyone ever seen this with a Dr. Bristol?
                          Last edited by tlw; May. 19, 2011, 11:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobthehorse View Post
                            You should probably let Mark Todd know he cant use a pelham then.
                            Presumably he is able to use a pelham with two reins, but the action of one rein on roundings is right for the horse, in which case fine. There's a difference between being unable to use two reins and choosing not to.
                            Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
                            Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
                            VW sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobthehorse View Post
                              Wonder bit - snaffle not enough, elevator too much, this is in between. Feels like a snaffle in your hands, but just with a little lift that doesnt seem to piss off the fussy ones and doesnt seem to curl the evasive ones. My curler goes really well in this bit.
                              A "wonder bit" is an elevator.

Comment

• Original Poster

We tried out a full cheek waterford (with keepers) today and it seems like it may just fill the bill. He wasn't fussy and let me ride him into contact; so much so that we could almost canter in place coming into combinations (as long as I kept my leg on so he knew what I was asking) but if I softened a couple of strides out he found his own perfect spot and jumped right out of stride. I think we may have a winner!

BTW we used a figure 8 and not a crescent so there is always a little room left if I find out that we need an emergency brake. Today, though, he never got strong. Probably because he wasn't trying to run away from a bit he didn't like. Both of us are happy boys tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by Montanas_Girl View Post
                                  A "wonder bit" is an elevator.
                                  Well technically they are all gags. But no, a wonder bit/wilkie/beval is a a loosering with fixed rein and cheek. An elevator/3 ring/pessoa bit has external rings for a longer lever.

ETA link http://www.bitofbritain.com/Wonder_B...ink_p/1060.htm

Comment

Working...
                                  X