• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Discuss this nonsense for me.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discuss this nonsense for me.

Scenario: Riders can't get the most veteran horses around events? I'm thinking of two riders in particular, who are supplied with "fresh new start" horses on a regular basis by the parent. 2* minimum packer horses, that have solid history at packing amateurs around. It makes me doubt whether they should be at that level, but that's just me.

I'm not looking to start fights here, but when it seems to be a continuing problem...

I'm thinking in particular of this season, and of Jersey.

On a different note, I am so happy for Katie on getting Donald solidly around Jersey. What a wonderful first event back after Kentucky. Also so happy for Jodi Hemry. Kadi Eykamp seems to be totally on track, too. I texted her already, but shoutout for that.

Off to ride my mule now.

Wow, really tacky!

Comment

If you're talking about spoiled kids/teens that are given capable, talented horses that they simply cannot handle/keep up with/or just straight up ride properly, you have not found a unique situation. I'm sure everyone has atleast seen, if not actually know one such person.

I know of a girl who rides jumpers that has been through over 12 horses in less than 10 years... and she's 18. She is trying to be successful at level 2/3 jumpers and cannot do it despite the expensive, imported WB's her parents keep dragging in. Is it due to her riding? I'd bet some money on it.

Do I really care though? No. It's her loss. Why do you care? Yes, I suppose it is a problem, and a common enough one, but as long as people aren't hurting the horses than really there's nothing that can be done. Don't get your undies in a bundle about it.
      Tru : April 14, 1996 - March 14, 2011
      Thank you for everything boy.

Better View.

Comment

On a different note, just was watching some of the xc footage, looks like the 3*** and the water complex really looked to catch a lot of people out. Tricky arrowhead as the last element. Anyone walk the course or there?? Looks pretty wet out there too! Excited though for our BC girls, Rebecca, Lisa Marie and Hawley. All doing a great job!

Comment

If those riders are getting regular help and advice from a good trainer (and listening to that advice) and are lucky/weathly/whatever enough to be mounted on suitable, experienced horses, then they probably are interested in improving their riding skills and are working on it.
          What's the problem?
          I evented just for the Halibut.

Comment

The only problem I can see is that in H/J land the falls are less likely to be fatal. XC can be fatal for horse or rider.
            Therefore to follow that logic path if a rider continues to ride above their level and their packer horse is still unable to save their butt does there come a point of the crash and burn that is fatal to horse or rider? To the outside world it is just one more confirmation that eventing is too dangerous.
            Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Comment

I say God bless the horses for having the good sense to stop before someone gets hurt.

People get into this sport for different reasons. People with more money than talent buying toys that they are not qualified to use is nothing new, nor unique to equestrian sports.

The sad thing, of course, is the using up of good horses as these people indulge their self-absorption.

No cure, no solution will be found by hashing over it on COTH. But I will be happy to give a home to a going 2* horse that is fed up packing some idiot around Intermediate. This idiot would only ask it to pack her around Training level.
              Click here before you buy.

Comment

The concept of buying one's way to the top is not new in Eventing or any other discipline for that matter.
                It simply is more likely to be an option for the H/J, and Dressage worlds.
                Have observed it several times over many yrs in the Eventing world.
                It just doesn't work, very unfortunate as there are so many true ULR's who are under mounted due to lack of resources

Comment

Problem is, Delta, most of these horses get broken by their riders in the quest for glory.
                  It's an old complaint with nothing new brought to the table, IMO.

Can anyone try and find something nice to say about eventing each and every spring CCI season? Looking over these subjects on the board, it is all about how terrible life is. Depressing. We need another happy thread soon.
                  Proud & Permanent Student Of The Long Road
                  Read me: EN (http://eventingnation.com/author/annemarch/) and HJU (http://horsejunkiesunited.com/author/holly-covey/)

Comment

Happy doesn't make headlines.
                    Click here before you buy.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by deltawave View Post
                      I say God bless the horses for having the good sense to stop before someone gets hurt.

People get into this sport for different reasons. People with more money than talent buying toys that they are not qualified to use is nothing new, nor unique to equestrian sports.

The sad thing, of course, is the using up of good horses as these people indulge their self-absorption.

No cure, no solution will be found by hashing over it on COTH. But I will be happy to give a home to a going 2* horse that is fed up packing some idiot around Intermediate. This idiot would only ask it to pack her around Training level.
                      Horse #1, Gibstar. #2, Artesian. Just two of about 15.

Comment

Originally posted by Yance View Post
                        from a quick search of those 2 horses you don't seem to be making your point (though I did not look at the extended history just did a quick usea search) but neither of those horses had extensive upper level experience before going with their current riders...so im not really sure what point you are trying to make??

Comment

I have to say it again...the OP is being extremely tacky. This does not seem like a thread on rider safety, but more like lets crucify the "spoiled" kids thread. Are they perfect? No. But both Strinis have done quite well on different horses. Argue with me if you want...but you are only feeding the troll.

Comment

Originally posted by retreadeventer View Post
                            Looking over these subjects on the board, it is all about how terrible life is. Depressing. We need another happy thread soon.
                            My horsey has decided it's fun to carry herself and use her hiney! That makes me happy!!

Now back to our regularly scheduled griping.

Comment

Originally posted by deltawave View Post
                              That was my thought, too.

It's the people having falls on course who worry me more.

I know people competing lower levels with horrific nerves. Riding packers who stop if they goof, rather than be unsafe jumping. Love the horses. And their riders know if they stop, it's due to rider error. Teaches them their lessons safely. (And the riders are fine schooling above the level they're competing - just get crippled by nerves.)

I've repeatedly heard that green horse +green rider is a bad way to go about things if there's any other option. I don't think that buying a made horse and claiming all credit for its training is the way to get to the top, but anyone who CAN buy an upper level horse and ride it? In my mind, good for them. (And good for the horses for stopping when things aren't right!)
                              Originally posted by Silverbridge
                              If you get anything on your Facebook feed about who is going to the Olympics in 2012 or guessing the outcome of Bush v Gore please start threads about those, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Yance View Post
                                First off, get your facts right -
                                Artesian was a five year old who only ever competed at the training level, thus in no way a "two star packer"
                                Gibstar completed a two star in NZ over two years ago, now going prelim with the younger sister, whats the problem?

By looking at the results, yes jersey was a bad weekend for the older Strini sister, but don't bad weekends happen to every event rider? Oudo - her three star horse - she's had since he was a 6 year old, so she's produced him from the training level to the advanced level, pretty impressive for any rider to do so.
                                The younger Strini, Benita, seems to have had a great weekend at Jersey - she completed her first CCI** with Carlingford's Merlot, and it was his FIRST CCI** as well, so in no way is he a "complete CCI** packer" either.

The girls other other horses, Ideal Contini - Lucia's other horse, is a very talented grey who's had some great intermediate xc rounds this spring and seems to have just recently hit a rough spot, again doesn't this happen to everyone in eventing?!
                                Petit Filou, Benita's mare, is a 7 year old who only competed at the training level before this spring when Benita moved her up to preliminary, the pair have yet to have a xc fault.

Yes, many young riders now a days (the strinis, Nina Ligon, Arden Wildasen, Caroline Martin, to name a few) have a string of horses to compete, but who are we to judge?

Also, it is important to remember that when you bash one of these young riders you are also bashing their coaches, such as Kim Severson, William Coleman, and Phillip Dutton.

I strongly feel that one of the best things about Eventing is the sense of community, so why would we want to destroy that with bashing of young riders? These young riders are all great horsewomen and should get the support from the eventing community rather than being subjected to the horrific bashing present in this forum.

Comment

Sigh. The kids have the money and the horses, and KS doesn't. Life just isn't fair.
                                  "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
                                  Thread killer Extraordinaire

Comment

But the real question is, who's got the shovel?

Comment

Not sure what Yance's problem is with the Strini girls. They have always been lovely kids and now great young adults. Yes, their family has money but so do many other people who event. You need to get over it because they is always going to be someone out there that has bigger, better stuff than you do or more of it. The only thing in life that you can change is yourself, not other people.
                                      Where Fjeral Norwegian Fjords Rule
                                      http://www.ironwood-farm.com

Comment

Originally posted by kkindley View Post
                                        My horsey has decided it's fun to carry herself and use her hiney! That makes me happy!!

Now back to our regularly scheduled griping.
                                        YAY! Congrats!
                                        Can your mare call mine on the phone and have this discussion? Mine is still in the "when necessary or a fall will ensue, or when I'm in the mood". SUCH a beautiful ride when she does though......hoping for the same consistent result as you in time.

And yes, we are hijacking, or this thread will go on forever and Eeyore will take over as OP.

Life isn't fair people! Lets be thankful we have horses in our lives AND can ride. Bigger problems out there than who has more privilege. The situation is FAR worse for many horses in the world as well. Sad, but true.

Comment

Working...
                                        X