• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Hurray for the Over The Hill Gang: MARK TODD WON BADDERS today!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Hurray for the Over The Hill Gang: MARK TODD WON BADDERS today!!!

    Figured there would be a thread heralding Toddy's 4th win...but doesn't seem to be, so I'm doing the honors, and it is an honor. Mark Todd is simply amazing...and happily, Mary King was right there on the podium with him.
    ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan

  • #2
    I'm so glad you started this thread! I think this is eventings biggest thrill in a long,long time. To completely start over from scratch and come back and win team bronze a the WEG and now this! FANTASTIC! The Master has returned!

    Comment


    • #3
      Agree entirely. This was the most fun I've had watching Badminton in a long, long, time! Sure brings back memories of the good old days.
      Mark Todd is such a class act to have achieved this feat. Kudos to him, and let's hope he decides to stick around for a bit now. Sure brought back some of the old excitement. Fantastic stuff...

      Comment


      • #4
        It was so fantastic to watch. I've always been a fan of his, he is the most awesome horseman, as well as incredibly approachable and helpful.
        Years ago I was training with someone who had sold a good horse to MT. During a lesson, he took a phone call, got off the phone saying that that had been Toddy on the phone, asking how the hell to get the horse to rein back (it was a tricky horse). I thought for someone of Toddy's truly amazing experience and horsemanship to be humble enough to pick up the phone and ask, was truly impressive.
        After winning his first Olympic gold he stabled over for the night at a big yard belonging to some people I knew. Years later the grooms still marvelled at the fact that he had turned up on the yard bright and early and happily mucked out his horses, turning down their offers to do it. No diva-ish-ness there...
        I could go on and on but I'll shut up now.
        Very tempted to sell my house and ask to go and be his working pupil, doubt he'd go for it though!

        Comment

        • Original Poster

          #5
          happy ride tonight...

          It felt so special today, to be part of a sport that for at least one weekend put the spotlight on what lifelong commitment to excellence can produce - I've happily raised my saddle, and my brushes, my hoof pick, and a nice toddy today...to Toddy!
          ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan

          Comment


          • #6
            how old is he?

            I watched him win at Gatcombe in 1987 -- first Advanced I'd ever been to (could not believe they were going to jump a Range Rover) -- I still have my little Kodak pics So, how old is he now?

            Comment


            • #7
              RFI I love your enthusiasm.
              I met him in 1984 at LA in the barn area. Also met Charisma same time. Partied with the team a bit too but you know, I can't remember a whole lot of that...gee...wonder why....
              Any how don't forget he took some time off, "retired", and went back to New Zealand and did racehorses for a while before deciding he wanted to try and get back on the Olympic team for Hong Kong since it was practically in the backyard (well, relatively) and he's been back eventing some since...it looks like he's established himself back in England again.
              British peeps, can you give any background on his return since Hong Kong? Did he ever sell his yard in England and buy a new one when he came back or ?
              It sounds like it is an interesting story.
              Proud & Permanent Student Of The Long Road
              Read me: EN (http://eventingnation.com/author/annemarch/) and HJU (http://horsejunkiesunited.com/author/holly-covey/)

              Comment


              • #8
                Where is that damned heart icon??

                I am unable to even express how much this tickles me pink (an expression which ages me; I am probably about Mark Todd's vintage )

                What an inspiration, and thanks to the other posters for sharing the great stories (sniffle), it puts this particular victory (and horseman) into an even more poignant and meaningful context.
                "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

                "It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

                Comment


                • #9
                  He is the reason my parents became fans of eventing. They took me to Rolex in 2000 for making the honor roll my sophmore year of HS. He had a big grey (surprise) horse that just floated into the dressage ring. My Non-Horsey parents, who had just begun to grasp dressage much less eventing, rooted for him all weekend because they loved how quietly he rode the test and how simple he made the XC look. Blythe Tait won IIRC, but they've watched the sport ever since. My mom thought it was a "darned shame" when he retired and said "Well, Bruce kept going why can't he?" ( I think I remember my jaw dropping when I realized that my Mom actually had been listening to all my eventing stuff not just nodding and smiling )

                  She'll be happy to hear this update on how well his comeback has been going.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    He is 55, not THAT old! He looks good for it too.
                    What a thrill for eventing in general.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Among the Badminton debutantes this year was Joy Dawes, a 46 year-old IT worker, who finished in 42nd place.

                      A 48 year-old Belgian rider, Joris van Springel, completed Badminton for the second time (the first was in 2009) and listed his profession as a 'railway stationmaster.' He came 25th.

                      The oldest competitor, in 37th place, was the Frenchman Jean Teulere, who is 57. His last Badminton completion was in 1993.

                      Inspirational.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by RunForIt View Post
                        It felt so special today, to be part of a sport that for at least one weekend put the spotlight on what lifelong commitment to excellence can produce - I've happily raised my saddle, and my brushes, my hoof pick, and a nice toddy today...to Toddy!
                        Amen!
                        Proud member of the EDRF

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Dr. Doolittle View Post
                          I am unable to even express how much this tickles me pink (an expression which ages me; I am probably about Mark Todd's vintage )

                          What an inspiration, and thanks to the other posters for sharing the great stories (sniffle), it puts this particular victory (and horseman) into an even more poignant and meaningful context.
                          Ooh, do i detect a teensy bit of encouragement to say more?

                          My fave personal Toddy story:
                          Many many moons ago (there might have been the odd pterodactyl soaring overhead, that sort of thing) I was doing the first Intermediate on my good grey mare. First run at a new level's always a bit nerve-wracking, my trainer wasn't there, and 1 fence on the xc had me stumped, I really couldn't work out which way to go at it. It was a sunken road, but with a staggered post and rail on both sides, so either
                          p & r, bounce, step down, stride, step up, 1 stride, p & r,
                          or
                          p & r, stride, step down, stride, step up, bounce, p & r.
                          old-school, so very upright and unforgiving.
                          i was early to go so couldn't watch anyone go. riding down to xc start, i still hadn't decided, was in a real quandary but just about knew better than to decide on the way into the fence! my guardian angel earned an extra pair of wings that day, because Toddy was hacking back from xc. He didn't look in a hurry, so I stopped him and asked him for advice about that fence. (I'd never been introduced to him, btw.)
                          I am eternally grateful that he took loads of time to talk me through it, how it jumped both ways, how he'd jumped it and why, where Ginny had jumped it and why (the day before), where Ian had jumped it and why, you get the picture. He asked about my horse, how long her natural stride was, whether she was really good in front, suspicious of drops down, etc etc. Then, once I'd decided on my route based on all that excellent info, he asked exactly how I was going to ride it.
                          Then he asked whether there were any other fences on the course I was concerned about...
                          With all that excellent advice ringing in my ears, I went out and did a nice happy clear.
                          I know there are lots of amazingly generous and kind people in Eventing, it's one of my very favourite things about the sport, but this kindness just overawes me to this day.

                          oh, and
                          A few years later I was hanging around after xc with my trainer who was friends with the Todds, and when I was introduced, Carolyn recognised my colours & said "i saw you finish on your grey, she flew that last fence like a bird" which was a lovely comment I really treasure.
                          We then all sat around chatting and having drinks and I was having such a great time I totally forgot I was supposed to drive home (eeek, i'm usually so responsible!) and had to get a sober friend to drive my horsebox and horses back to my temporary base 1/2 mile up the road for another night, oopsy.

                          retreadeventer, he's based at the amazing Headley Stud which is owned by American rider Jules Stiller, who he helps train I believe. I wonder whether they take in waifs and strays...
                          Last edited by kerilli; Apr. 26, 2011, 09:50 AM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            What a great ride. Love his horse, but his (Todd's) attitude is so high quality.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by BaroquePony View Post
                              What a great ride. Love his horse, but his (Todd's) attitude is so high quality.
                              He is honestly just the best, I totally agree.
                              "Red on the right, white on the left, insanity in the middle."

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Originally posted by kerilli View Post
                                Ooh, do i detect a teensy bit of encouragement to say more?

                                My fave personal Toddy story:
                                Many many moons ago (there might have been the odd pterodactyl soaring overhead, that sort of thing) I was doing the first Intermediate on my good grey mare. First run at a new level's always a bit nerve-wracking, my trainer wasn't there, and 1 fence on the xc had me stumped, I really couldn't work out which way to go at it. It was a sunken road, but with a staggered post and rail on both sides, so either
                                p & r, bounce, step down, stride, step up, 1 stride, p & r,
                                or
                                p & r, stride, step down, stride, step up, bounce, p & r.
                                old-school, so very upright and unforgiving.
                                i was early to go so couldn't watch anyone go. riding down to xc start, i still hadn't decided, was in a real quandary but just about knew better than to decide on the way into the fence! my guardian angel earned an extra pair of wings that day, because Toddy was hacking back from xc. He didn't look in a hurry, so I stopped him and asked him for advice about that fence. (I'd never been introduced to him, btw.)
                                I am eternally grateful that he took loads of time to talk me through it, how it jumped both ways, how he'd jumped it and why, where Ginny had jumped it and why (the day before), where Ian had jumped it and why, you get the picture. He asked about my horse, how long her natural stride was, whether she was really good in front, suspicious of drops down, etc etc. Then, once I'd decided on my route based on all that excellent info, he asked exactly how I was going to ride it.
                                Then he asked whether there were any other fences on the course I was concerned about...
                                With all that excellent advice ringing in my ears, I went out and did a nice happy clear.
                                I know there are lots of amazingly generous and kind people in Eventing, it's one of my very favourite things about the sport, but this kindness just overawes me to this day.

                                oh, and
                                A few years later I was hanging around after xc with my trainer who was friends with the Todds, and when I was introduced, Carolyn recognised my colours & said "i saw you finish on your grey, she flew that last fence like a bird" which was a lovely comment I really treasure.
                                We then all sat around chatting and having drinks and I was having such a great time I totally forgot I was supposed to drive home (eeek, i'm usually so responsible!) and had to get a sober friend to drive my horsebox and horses back to my temporary base 1/2 mile up the road for another night, oopsy.

                                retreadeventer, he's based at the amazing Headley Stud which is owned by American rider Jules Stiller, who he helps train I believe. I wonder whether they take in waifs and strays...
                                Wonderful story (all of it! ), thanks for sharing! He should be an example to (for?) all eventers; giving back is what it's all about.
                                "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

                                "It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X