• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Contemplating move to MD/VA/DC area

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contemplating move to MD/VA/DC area

This is very premature but I'm the kind of person who does best with change when I roll everything around in my head for a while and have a whole bunch of contingency plans.

Hubby is beginning the process of submitting resumes to the government and we may end up in the MD/VA/DC area some time this year. Obviously, nothing says this really will happen but, like I said, I do best when I have worked through my concerns by research.

I've been in Area I my entire horse life. I know the barns up here, I know the trainers, I know the events, I know the towns. I know nothing about the metro DC area except that it is expensive and crowded (with fabulous shopping so it isn't all bad!).

Is it even possible to live within a Metro commute of DC while still living within an easy commute of a boarding facility with good turn out?

I do realize that we couldn't be contemplating moving to a better location for eventing so that is good. But are there good lower level events (unrecognized are fine)? My filly is still too young to be started under saddle but, once that happens, I would like to get her out to a bunch of tadpole events as soon as she is going comfortably and up here there are a ton to pick from.

I'm not a fan of the heat/humidity. Do riders just ride ultra early/late or skip the hottest months the way many riders skip February in Maine?

Give me a great reason to move to this area so I can calm these butterflies! We may leave our own farm where my son and dogs can go out the back door to play without worry to living in a postage stamp lot or townhouse where the dogs are always on leashes and my son needs to be inside unless I'm with him (he's just 3). But, job security is worth a lot and I would love to see hubby without ulcers from worry.

Thanks for listening to this mostly lurker!

Well our traffic here is a good deal worse than anything Maine can offer except for having Bullwinkle traipsing on the roads. We just have deer. Location in the DC Metro area would be governed by where you have to work. You want a decent commute to wherever that would be.

As far as eventing in concerned, you are coming to one of the eventing hotspots in the country. You'll have lots of choices between recognized, unrecognized and schooling shows every weekend.

Anyway, no use worrying until you know 1)if DH gets the job and 2)where that job will be.
    Where Fjeral Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

Comment

A slightly less stressful government job option is the Social Security Administration. Headquarters is just outside Baltimore, and if you settle on the I-70 corridor you will experience much more tolerable traffic/commute (that said, I think getting hired here right now is pretty difficult, not many openings).

There's a huge eventing community here and loads of places to school and ride, but commuting from DC to just about anywhere is pretty awful (even jobs in surrounding areas, like Rockville or Gaithersburg, can be nutty).

I'm in Damascus (I actually rent a house on the same property where my horse is boarded, which is flipping awesome), north of Germantown, work in Baltimore and have it pretty easy.
      "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Comment

That would be a big change! The DC metro area has a lot to offer in terms of horse stuff, but it will really come down to the location of your husband's job and how much of a commute he is willing to suffer. Then people can help you pinpoint certain areas that might work best for you.

As for the heat ... yeah. People do continue to ride throughout the summer, but I personally do not like to compete in July/August. A lot of people do, though. Overall, it's a very horsey area, it's just that things are spread apart, and an 8 mile commute can take 45 minutes or more every day depending on where you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Classic Melody View Post
          As for the heat ... yeah. People do continue to ride throughout the summer, but I personally do not like to compete in July/August. A lot of people do, though.
          The biggest issue I've noticed with summer isn't so much the heat/humidity, but the footing. Seems like it always dries out badly at some point and the ground can be very, very hard.
          "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Comment

traffic aside, it's a great area! Where will he possibly be? (I'm at APG). There
            s areas around here to suit everybody. You can find places that are out of the way, or smack dab in the middle of things. There are farms and trainers to suit every need, price, and personality too! But yes, GETTING the job first is important, and that will determine where to look, because that will make a huge difference on where you look (and prices!). Best of luck to him!

oh, and you do get used to the weather. I usually work days, so I ride in the evenings, around 5or 6. Usually pretty decent out by then. And there are TONS of small schooling events within an hour of me. I'm in Harford County.

Comment

What type of government position would he be looking for?

There is also Pax River Navy Base in southern Maryland. Quite a few government jobs down here.

As you get closer to DC the traffic can make you insane at times. I have had to go into Arlington for work and have been ready to curse everybody out on the beltway.

Also the closer you get to DC the more expensive board is. You go further from DC the board $$ drops but it is a long trip to DC.
              OTTB - Hurricane Denton - Kane - the big dog!
              Tuggy - RIP 9/12/2016 - Wait for me at the bridge
              Foster LolaMaria AKA LolaBean (Boxer)

Comment

The trick is considering where he might be (like others have mentioned).

There will be a HUGE difference in where you want to live and board if he's working in downtown DC or if he ends up over in Annapolis, or up at Aberdeen (on the other side of Baltimore!) or down at Andrews (southeast side of the Beltway) or down in Northern Virginia or wherever.

If you know he's mostly only applying at places that are only located in one particular area (or two areas), then you might be able to narrow your search. If he's applying at a lot of places or at an agency with a lot of satellite locations where he might be posted but still be in the Baltimore/Washington "area"...it gets more iffy.

HOWEVER, you're definitely in a good spot for eventing, from what I've seen, and plenty of barns around here seem to do turnout. I've seen a lot of places out in western Howard county (along I-70), down in Montgomery county (Damascus/Gaithersburg/Potomac areas) that would likely suit.

I'd suggest taking a gander periodically through the Equiery classifieds and see what barns might interest you. The Equiery also has a riding and boarding stables directory (click the "horsin' around in Maryland" link) that might give you some good leads too. Plus you can search in the classifieds to see what kinds of shows and events are coming up.
                The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
                Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks guys! If this happens we really do hope to live close/on the Metro so the commute is more reliable and less at the whim of car accidents, weather, etc. Both of us did the Boston commute for years before the luxury of Maine and would hate to go back to 90 -120 minute commutes.

Currently he is looking at Dept of Army and IRS positions. I believe both state Metro DC as the location but we've been told that once you are in the system, your resume is available to other areas so it's completely open to opportunity.

I do know I'm jumping the gun but he really needs something new before the end of the year unless there is a major change at his current position and that would take a force of nature to happen. My first hope is that we end up back in Boston but that market isn't exactly booming right now.

Caffeinated, thanks for the suggestion about the SSA (even though they aren't hiring)! I agree, Baltimore would be a better option for us with young children, horses and dogs.

Comment

This area is fabulous for eventing! I used to be in Area I, and it doesn't even compare to down here There are more green bean events and shows than you can imagine, so no worries there! You can make the commute work. Once you find out where your husband's job is, and where your job will be, you can plan where to live and where to board as your "triangle commute" as I like to call it! Traffic can be bad, but you can work around it. I get into work by 7:30am each day and am out by 4 and don't hit much traffic at all. My barn is 25 mins (without traffic) from my work in DC, and my horse has a lovely 6 acre pasture with a few other horses, indoor, outdoor ring, trails, etc. 6 acres probably seems small to a lot of people, but it's certainly enough to let them romp around and the grass stays nice. So, moral of the story, you'll figure out the horse situation once you know what's going on in the rest of your life. There are loads of options, you just have to look for them! So come back on this board when you have things more firm and we'll help you find a nice place for your horse to live

Comment

It IS possible to live here and have a Metro commute to work and an ok commute to your horse. However, all things are relative- what long time DC Metro area horse people consider an ok or good commute to their horses can often leave newbies reeling. Depending on how in you want/need to be, you should expect 45 min or more to get to your horse.

I have dealt with a lot of clients who insist upon living very close in who struggle with the commute to their horses. My suggestion would always be to live further out, closer to the end of a Metro line (ie, if you live near the Shady Grove metro- Germantown, Gaithersburg, etc, etc- you can be to Metro Center in 30 min) you can get to a lot more decent boarding facilities in short order (our farm is about 15-20 min from Shady Grove but it feels like another world). You may even be able to find a little elbow room, but still have the convenience of the Metro. Knowing where your husband will be working will also make a HUGE difference on where you house and barn shop, though, I also know plenty of people who live on one side of the river and DRIVE to the other for work (one of our clients lives in Gaithersburg but works in LEESBURG...on the map that may not look too bad, but it sucks).

As for eventing, there is no better place to be. You can spit and get decent (if not world class) help, and when your horse is old enough you'll be blown away by the choices and loving not having to give up your ENTIRE weekend for an event (most events are one days and since you can get to many, many events within an hour or two, you won't have to stable, do hotels, miss work/family time, etc, etc, etc). There are lots of unrecognized options, too (several of the bigger venues, such as Waredaca and Loch Moy Farm/MD Horse Trials, host both popular rec and unrec events. Not to mention many other smaller venues and the fact that you can get to Fair Hill, another fabulous venue, with in a couple of hours and enjoy either rec or unrec events there, too). And THAT'S just the eventing...you can be VERY busy and get that young horse all sorts of mileage.

As for summers, well, they may be hot, humid and the footing might turn to concrete (we avoid events in July and August unless we travel to Area 1), but our summers are not nearly as brutal as Maine's winters are! You'll miss a lot less riding due to our heat than you probably do now due to cold, nasty winters.

I say this often, but I think is a pretty cool place to live. Yes, the traffic sucks and it is expensive, but you've got a pretty cool city with all sorts of interesting things to do AND some of the best the horse world has to offer all within 50 miles or so of the district. Hard to beat, if I do say so myself.
                      Amanda

Comment

Originally posted by Sadiegem View Post
                        Thanks guys! If this happens we really do hope to live close/on the Metro so the commute is more reliable and less at the whim of car accidents, weather, etc. Both of us did the Boston commute for years before the luxury of Maine and would hate to go back to 90 -120 minute commutes.
                        Apparently you don't know much about Metro! Reliable isn't exactly the word I would use to describe it. Unless you mean "The Red Line reliably breaks down during the evening rush."
                        Visit my Spoonflower shop

Comment

Originally posted by yellowbritches View Post
                          I say this often, but I think is a pretty cool place to live. Yes, the traffic sucks and it is expensive, but you've got a pretty cool city with all sorts of interesting things to do AND some of the best the horse world has to offer all within 50 miles or so of the district. Hard to beat, if I do say so myself.
                          Ditto . We are very lucky to have the resources here that we do- whether it be horsey, jobs, schools, entertainment, access to amazing medical care (for us AND our critters!). It's not perfect (traffic, expensive real estate, etc) but by growing up here and getting used to all of it, I am not sure I could imagine living anywhere else.

Comment

• Original Poster

Sonoma City...I love you...

6 acres is huge! I know not really but right now my girls have a 2 acre field, tiny 1/2 acre field and dirt sacrifice paddocks. Just knowing that such a place exists without a 2 hour drive outside of the DC area makes me feel better.

Analise, thank you for the equiry link. There is an ad for a retirement place in MD which would be like something I would be looking for to keep my arthritic drafty mare. And it is affordable, even for Maine standards!

Luckily, I work from home so we only have to contemplate one commute and job change. My only stipulation is that we have an extra room that can be my office and do double duty as a guest bedroom as both family will just die if we leave the New England area.

I'm starting to feel better (which means now it won't happen!)...

Comment

As others have mentioned the DC metro area is great for eventers. Where I live and board in MD it is less than 1 hours drive to Maryland Horse Trials, Seneca Valley PC, Waredaca, Rubicon, Morven Park, and Loudoun PC. Many of these places have one or 2 (or more) events a year - recognized, unrecognized etc. The trick is going to be A) husband getting the job and B) finding a place to live. Some commutes are easier to than others. I'm probably a bit biased but having lived in Alexandria, VA worked in DC and MD I found that riding in VA was not practical (traffic) Now I live in MD, work in VA but still ride in MD. If job is inside the beltway - and particularly if in DC, then MD might be the best option for home for you and horse. Fortunately you will have a good selection of barns/trainers in the area too. keep us posted and we can offer up more advise if the job comes to fruition..

The humidity can be bad...but bearable

Best of luck.

Comment

• Original Poster

Awww...Red Mares

It's okay, I'm used to commuting on the Red Line in Boston, which is useless unless the weather is a perfect 72 degrees with crystal clear skies. But, I had heard that the Metro is excellent. I've been on it several times as a tourist but never as a commuter.

Thanks YellowBritches! I did a quick realtor search this morning and focused on the end of the Metro lines (I did warn you, I'm slightly insane with the planning for no real reason) and found some homes in our price range that I wouldn't cry to live in. A 30 minute commute is nothing! In fact, that would even be an improvement from his Maine commute.

Comment

The IRS has a big facility here in the Eastern Panhandle, as does the Coast Guard. Don't forget that the MARC train comes out here. My Father commuted from our farm into Washington for 20+ years.
                                  There are lots of facilities here, and available real estate, and we are still close to everything, including UL eventers and foxhunting.
                                  One thing you can give and still keep is your word.

Comment

You want a great reason to move to the area? You can go to an event pretty much every weekend of the season without driving more than an hour and a half The only time I have driven further than that was when we went to AECs. You also have event trainer options galore.
                                    The barn/work/home commute can be tough but it can be managed and the more flexible you are on certain things (using metro or whether you go to MD or VA or when you commute to the barn) the better your options will be. It also takes some planning about where you live in relation to where you work and where you board and everybody has different preferences (personally you could not pay me to either live or board anywhere in Virginia that required ever driving on Route 66 but I know people who do it and say it works for them). I personally think there are more close, good boarding/riding options in Maryland than VA but that is just MO.
                                    Since I have lived here, I have either lived in NW DC or in Bethesda within sight of the DC line. Right now my commute to work is 10-25 minutes depending on what time I drive in (30 minutes if I bike) and 35-45 minutes to the barn (non-rush hour). Totally doable for me. You could also live further out but close to a metro stop, and use metro to get to work and live closer to the barn.
                                    In general if your commute (either to work or the barn) involves driving at rush hour and the beltway or Rte 270 or Rte 66, then add lots of time to any commute. I took the red line to work for years and rarely had a problem with break downs but maybe I just got lucky.
                                    As for weather- I am still at heart a New Englander and the humidity can be tough. During the week, I usually ride in the evening after it has started to cool down a bit- the early morning thing works too. I do not compete in July and August- not only is it way too hot for me, but the ground is usually pretty hard both for competing (although many events do lots to alleviate this) and conditioning.
                                    Of all the large cities I have lived in and near (one of which was Boston)- this one is the easiest to have horses in.
                                    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.(Churchill)

Comment

ditto with most of all what the other COTHers posted here, except to add...from one riding Mom with small kids to another, childcare in the DC area is HUGELY expensive. It (almost more than the cost of riding) is one reason why I don't ride as much as I would like to do. If you plan on riding in the evening (as I used to do with a 3 year old and an infant) and you have to wait for your husband to get home from work to watch the kids, his arrival depends on metro/traffic (both unpredictable), and you will still be dealing with traffic on the major thru-ways, sometimes until 7 or 8 pm at night. Weekends are obviously better, but again, if you are a detail nut (as I am), factor in not only board, real estate, job, commute, etc., but also reliable child care while you're riding!
                                      “Always saddle your own horse. Always know what you’re doing. And go in the direction you are heading.” Connie Reeves
                                      Jump Start Solutions LLC

Comment

Sadiegem... take it from one planner to another. Wait til your husband has job interviews/offers before thinking about what area you want to live in. It'll make you nuts to consider all the different logistics without that key element. And then come back here and everyone will give you excellent advice on where/where not to live

Reality check for those who do not take the metro every day - it has greatly deteriorated in the last few years. You can look at metro's fare calculator for ride times, but add at least 15 min, and transferring is a real hassle. Parking + metroing in from the outskirts can cost upwards of $12-15 a day. Not that driving is much better. Still, as the OP has lived in Boston, I'm sure she'll manage.

I would actually disagree with yellowbritches' advice to live near your barn. Nope, live near your husband's work. You want time together. The barn is an extra, and you don't have to go there every day. Limit you/your family's daily commute when you can.

Comment

Working...
                                        X