• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Dressage judging question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dressage judging question

Ok, I know that some of you may say, "why not post this in dressage"? But I am afraid of folks in that forum, sometimes. ;-)

My trainer's mare went novice in a well-run unrecognized HT yesterday. She had a lifetime best ever test and scored 29.6, and this mare does not give away the dressage. Overall, trainer was thrilled.

Mare has a quirk, which the judge marked her down for, and I would like someone to explain what this quirk really has to do with her submission. The mare consistently sticks her tongue out the side of her mouth. She nearly always does this during flatwork, and has for years. If anything, for her, it's a sign that she's working and paying attention. the judge gave a 6 for submission, and explicitly noted on the test that the reason for the 6 was that her tongue was sticking out.

Mare does her flatwork in a loose ring snaffle. Her teeth have been done this year, the bridle seems to fit her fine, and no one thinks this is a manifestation of some physical problem. It's just what she does. Trainer has considered putting a crank noseband on her to make it more difficult for mare to stick her tongue out, but has so far decided not to because it would probably just piss her off. ;-)

Why shouldn't submission be judged solely on the way the horse moves and responds to the aids? Why should something as seemingly peripheral figure into the submission score? I just think being marked down for a tongue hanging out, in a test where the judge consistently liked everything else the horse did, is silly. It's this kind of thing that makes otherwise generously inclined folks think that dressage is dubiously subjective and silly.

Just my $0.02 worth.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

As I understand it, sticking tongue out is considered an evasion of the bit.
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Comment

I've dealt with a couple of horses with this quirk, and yes, often it's just a habit and nothing that is indicating that the horse is unhappy.

That said, the rule is the rule, and this horse will always be marked down for it. To score the equivalent of a 70% with a tongue consistently out is spectacular, because it will typically be a -1 or -2 on every movement.

Having dealt with it, and watched others deal with it, I can say that if the horse has her tongue out all the time with a bit, there's likely nothing that can be done with any noseband. I've seen people even try a tongue tie to see if it would break the habit (illegal in competition) and it didn't.

One of the horses was a three year old when I met him, tongue out. I randomly saw him at a clinic 15 years later... tongue still out. :-)

So, I suggest just making the best of it. The other option would be to move her to jumpers, where it won't be a factor.
      If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Comment

I competed a mare for a number of years with this fault.I, personally, never cracked a 35 on my mare...partially because of the tongue and partially because I was under 18 for her whole career.

I never found anything that kept her tongue in her mouth. Asked everyone who would listen for suggestions.

I did a clinic with Jimmy Wofford when I was competing her prelim... I asked him if I should try to sell her as a jumper or continue my young riders career on the tongue mare..

Basically he said that she was a safe and careful jumper and at 16 years old that's all I could ask for. So, in all, I got several years of great experience on the mare... but never did well in dressage.
        Yes, I ride a pony. No, he would not be ideal for your child. No, he is not a re-sale project...

Comment

• Original Poster

Yeah, I figured it was being considered an evasion of the bit, but I still think that's not well-founded. I mean, if the animal is doing what it is being asked to do, with correct aids, etc., then who cares where her tongue is?

Comment

It is quite possible that the judge felt the same way you did -- it is a habit that did not truly affect submission and did not mark down as much as another judge may have for the tongue issue.

Frankly, I'm not a fan of "automatic" penalties, so if this was the case, I applaud the judge.

Comment

Originally posted by Lori B View Post
              Yeah, I figured it was being considered an evasion of the bit, but I still think that's not well-founded. I mean, if the animal is doing what it is being asked to do, with correct aids, etc., then who cares where her tongue is?
              This and the tendency to believe a lot of foam at the mouth is always a good thing are two of my biggest dressage peeves.

Yes, a tongue sticking out CAN be an indication of evasion, but it's not an evasion flat across the board.

Yes a foamy mouth CAN indicate a horse moving nicely, on the bit, etc. However, some of the most resistant, hardest pulling horses I've met have foamy mouths, and some wonderfully soft horses in self-carriage have practically no saliva.
              If Kim Kardashian wants to set up a gofundme to purchase the Wu Tang album from Martin Shkreli, guess what people you DON'T HAVE TO DONATE.
              -meupatdoes

Comment

I have one.
                I asked a Dressage judge about it, her response;

Tongue out can be an issue that is difficult to stop. The reality is that it should not be that much of a fault if there is not tension issues in other ways....but some judges are a real stickler on this, others like me are not??? Happy to take a peep see for you....

I still like the horse and just let him do it & live w/ the occasional lower mark.

Comment

I have a 4y ottb that sticks her tongue out and sucks on it like a pacifier when she's focused, soft and happy. She sucks in rhythm to her gait. And it's funny that when she's being resistant (as she is just recently restarted under saddle after a ten month lay off after racing) is when the tongue goes inside her mouth and that's when she braces and gets cranky! As soon as she's soft and accepting, out comes the tongue pacifier! Im Hoping she'll be my " next great eventer" though in reality she's still so green so we'll see! I agree that judges should take into account the overall picture and harmony....

Comment

Agreed that the whole picture should be taken into account. It sounds like, from her score, that the judge DID take into account the entire, relaxed picture, and only penalized her in the "submission" category. I recently won my BN HT on my dressage score of 31, with a pretty tough judge. My horse still has a tendency to come behind the vertical, especially in the walk, and we got hit by a "6" in submission for the two time he came behind the vertical in the walk work - the rest were 7s and 8s (well, there was an error of test, but it was mine). I'd give the judge the benefit of the doubt. The judge has to score down for that tongue - given two horses with identical tests, one with a flapping tongue, and one without, the one without is going to win, fair or no. That's why Lucinda Green is so adamant about taking out the dressage quotient of an HT - it's all so subjective.
                    Last edited by eventer_mi; Apr. 11, 2011, 11:27 AM. Reason: inablity to spell
                    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

So, the Zen Buddhist says to the hotdog vendor, "Make me one with everything."

Comment

• Original Poster

If a horse hanging out their tongue is a submission issue, I would ask, what is the aid / correction to ask them not to do it? I don't think there is one, other than various noseband type solutions that don't work consistently and would, I think, fall in the category of 'using gadgets to get around not being able to train your horse'.

I understand that there seems to be some kind of rule, but I'm saying, it's a silly rule, and not well-correlated to the problem it claims to represent.

Comment

Working...
                      X