• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

How bad does it have to be...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How bad does it have to be...

Before they'll cancel xc at an event? Going to Loch Moy tomorrow and it's been raining on and off all day. I certainly don't want to run xc in dangerous conditions, but I will be VERY SAD if I wake up at 3:00 AM just to do dressage and stadium

I guess on the flip side...have you been to an event where they held xc and decided to pull your horse anyway?

ETA: I'll be doing Novice...
    The big guy: Lincoln

Southern Maryland Equestrian

Just because they have it does not mean you have to do it.

YOU are your horse's ADVOCATE.

The last time I pulled out was at the AECs. I drove 2,000 miles for a dressage test. My horse was more important.

Reed

Comment

I often volunteer at Loch Moy. We'll only cancel if it's storming. I'll be in one of the dressage huts as a scribe for Sara Smallwood. Fingers crossed for warm weather!
      Katie Ruppel & Yellow Rose Eventing *Website* & *Facebook*
      Email for Questions/Clinics/Sponsorship

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by RAyers View Post
        Just because they have it does not mean you have to do it.

YOU are your horse's ADVOCATE.

The last time I pulled out was at the AECs. I drove 2,000 miles for a dressage test. My horse was more important.

Reed
        Yes, very good point to keep in mind. Thanks

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Tazzie View Post
          I often volunteer at Loch Moy. We'll only cancel if it's storming. I'll be in one of the dressage huts as a scribe for Sara Smallwood. Fingers crossed for warm weather!
          I'm keeping EVERYTHING crossed that the footing is decent by 10:52 tomorrow morning!

Comment

I ran unrecognized last year in the pouring rain but not at your event.

Everyone went slower then normal, especially stadium which was on grass and most of the riders all the way through Novice trotted some of their corners. I don't think that anyone showed up with studs, as it's usually a pretty easy event so I don't know if that would have helped.
            Last edited by enjoytheride; Apr. 8, 2011, 10:31 PM.
            http://weanieeventer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Duckz View Post
              I guess on the flip side...have you been to an event where they held xc and decided to pull your horse anyway?

ETA: I'll be doing Novice...

Yes...got up at 3 am, drove 2 hours to the event, walked the course and got back in my truck and went home. It was sleeting when I drove in and I needed a tractor to pull me into the parking (not a good sign). The course looked fun...but I was riding a very green horse in novice and I decided it wouldn't be good for his confidence to run. Now why I didn't do dressage...pure lazy. It was cold...I wanted to go back to bed. I'm motivated for xc...not so much for dressage

I've pulled out of other events....but this one I remember distinctly!

Go and see what the footing is like. It may not be as soggy there as it is at your farm. I've competed MANY MANY times in rain....it is the quality of the footing and the horse I'm sitting on (and what I think is best for them) that will determine whether I ride or not (rain or shine).
              ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Comment

loch Moy, has very nice footing and sitting on top of that hill, I would be surprised if the footing is really bad.
                A few low spots & in the trees-to be expected. Heres where you call on your horsemanship skills to make a decision.
                It's still very early in the season.

Bornfree- Sounds like Menfelt.
                Only I rode Dressage then went home, although allowed the Tractor operator [Thanks Mike] to attach chain. Truck stayed bumper came off.

Comment

Originally posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
                  Yes...got up at 3 am, drove 2 hours to the event, walked the course and got back in my truck and went home. It was sleeting when I drove in and I needed a tractor to pull me into the parking (not a good sign).
                  Was that at Weave a Dream maybe 5 yrs ago?
                  I had a bad snowy trailer-pull there . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Beam Me Up View Post
                    Was that at Weave a Dream maybe 5 yrs ago?
                    I had a bad snowy trailer-pull there . . .
                    We have a winner
                    ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Comment

I WANTED to leave, especially after eating lunch in the truck and being unable to see through the rain beyond the hood. But the footing really wasn't bad, and visibility improved. And my trailer buddies were tacking up and riding. So I did, too. After getting the pep talk about tough eventers, and "put on a raincoat and ride." I had seen it coming from a few days out, the saddle was thoroughly treated with mink oil in advance. It was fine and a good experience that what doesn't kill you will make you cold and wet.

I have no problem arriving at an event, assessing a course as a bad idea for this rider and this horse on this day, and heading 1-3 hours back home. Sometimes that's the way it is.

Comment

Loch moy's footing can be quite good.
                        Plus, you are doing dressage and sj on footing, so it is worth going and assessing the xc.
                        The big man -- my lost prince

The little brother, now my main man

Comment

Originally posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
                          We have a winner
                          I was there too. It was supposed to be my first event with my new horse at the time. Turned around and left after a 2.5 hour drive!
                          Lindsay

Check out my blog at http://lindsayberreth.com

Comment

Ok, so who went to Loch Moy today? Turned out to be really nice, just soft in a few places on the XC course. I took my new horse to our first HT - his first ever. Got a 39 in dressage and jumped clean in our BN division to finish fifth! I was thrilled with him. I thought the XC and SJ courses were pretty true to the level, if not stiff - the SJ had a 2 stride, 3 stride and a 4 stride plus a bending line! XC was not complicated but the jumps looked fully sized.

Comment

CM- so glad you guys had a great first outing! Can't wait to see pics! Hopefully we can join you guys out there May 15 .

If anyone went to the CT how did SJ compare at the levels? Just by pics, I thought BN was soft at the CT but I didn't ride it so I can't comment personally!

Comment

We had two horses at novice and a BN horse. They all had great days. One of our novice horses got scored a 20 on xc because his dad decided to circle between 5ab instead of try to make the turn (he kinda forget the were numbered ab, but said he would have made the decision either way...he was there to school his training horse after a bad outing last weekend). BN horse stormed around like a pro, and she her owner hadn't been out since Rubicon- not even a xc school (just goes to show that if you do the right stuff at home, you don't have to school the snot out of them!).

We also had a boat load of horses at the CT a couple of weeks ago. SJ was almost exactly the same. The only difference (for BN) was that they turned the last line into a two stride for yesterday (it had just been like a 4 stride line), and added a fence on the short side. The last line rode spooky, I thought, for novice and BN. Since it was right by the gate and everyone, I could see why that would be. It was a pretty soft course at the CT and yesterday, I thought...rode a little like a hunter course- fine by me for early, schooling type outings!
                                Amanda

Comment

Training Level

I ran training there yesterday. The SJ was tough, IMO for a starter trial. Had a double and a triple combination. Footing on XC was only really bad near the woods on 5A&B. My horse slipped badly in between and it caused him to lose confidence. There was also a table near the end of the course that looked to be over training level height. There was a corner on course but they took that out and replaced it with something else. We made it around but i would have liked to see something softer for an early season starter trial, at least for Training level.

Comment

• Original Poster

OP here. Footing wasn't bad! Studs would have been nice, but I just took note of a couple slick spots on xc and avoided fast sharp turns. 5a to 5b was one of those! I thought about circling too yellowbritches We just trotted and make it ok.

The OH SH*T moment came at the ditch to log combo. Not sure if it was carelessness or if he slipped, but Linc stuck a foot in the ditch and we just about landed on our faces The jump judge gasped. I wish I had it on video to see how he managed to recover!

We finished on our dressage score So did everyone else in our crowd. Great day.

Big kudos to the folks at Loch Moy. Everyone was super friendly and helpful. I loved the lady sending people off at the start box!

Comment

My trainer took a horse novice, and thought the footing was fine. The stone dust rings drain pretty well, seemed to me.
                                      I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
                                      I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

Comment

CM and YB, glad to hear your day went well!

I took my young OTTB to her first dressage test ever! Fun haha

She actually did amazingly well considering it was her first time seeing golfcarts and horses galloping by on XC

Our test was pretty lame as she tensed up a lot once seeing the judge's stand and hearing the sound of stonedust hitting the plastic rails, but our warmup beforehand and schooling afterwards were lovely! I let her walk around for about 20-30 minutes before starting anything and her jig-OMG-jig turned into her usual nice walk. Must find someplace to school with plastic fence... Next is just going anywhere and everywhere to get her places in a show environment. Loved the judge's last comment: "should be super once more relaxed"

Comment

Working...
                                        X