• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Feeding the event horse with the "less is more" philosophy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feeding the event horse with the "less is more" philosophy

I'm interested to hear what people think/do about this. I was at a high end h/j/big Eq barn today and got to talking to the trainer about her feeding program, which was remarkably simplistic but effective. Basically, it amounted to as much very high quality hay as the horses will eat (big ol' like on this- saw the hay. I'd eat it), a pretty basic ration balancer in the AM, and Blue Seal's "Mite-A-Vite" in the PM, and some amount of soy oil. Her horses were lovely, shiny, and very, very happy (considering I was there to show Vernon, this made me VERY happy as a potential home for him).

This is obviously a program that is working for these high end hunters and jumpers. The boss and I were talking about it on the way home and I was wondering if a program THAT simple could keep good weight on our horses but also give the higher level/harder working horses enough energy (I am sure it would work on the majority of our BN/N horses since they are all pretty easy keepers). He's skeptical, but he also admits that he is very old school (MORE FOOD!!!!). I don't know what to think.

For the record, while I feed more than this trainer does, even my hard keepers get a lot less feed than a lot of other peoples "normal" keepers, and I try to base everyone's diets on lots hay, unless they must lose significant weight. But the simplicity of this program intrigues me.

Thoughts?
    Amanda

Neither of my horses were really performance horses, but the most I ever fed was to my 2 yo growing TB cross, who ate about 2 lbs of strategy once a day. I also always pasture board. I like them to be out, and honestly, I think they are healthier that way. They stay on maintained pastures, and were supplemented in pasture with hay when needed. But I'm totally one of those who thinks less is more when it comes to concentrates.
    You can't fix stupid.... but you can breed it!

Comment

My intermediate horse (currently ** fit) gets a handful of a 12% sweet feed and a cup of platinum performance twice a day with free choice coastal hay and 1/2 flake alfalfa twice a day. She is also turned out 6 hours a day.

She looks awesome, has plenty of energy, etc.

I am a big believer in less is more, although I know not every program suits every horse
      For all your dog needs visit:
      www.milliondollarmutt.com

Comment

"Less grain, more hay", in all ways, a good philosophy. I remember feeding a *lot* of grain back in the '70's and 80's (we didn't know better back then, also didn't know about ulcers. And a lot of other stuff.) Hunter folks back then fed TONS of sweet feed, myself included (runs, screaming, hides head in shame.) Even in Pony Club, we fed WAY more concentrates than most people do today--we didn't know any other way to feed, tradition, stupidity, etc.

Basically, GOOD hay, fed free choice (this is when and if you can find it! Helps to do an analysis on your hay, so you know what it's missing) and supplements (like Accel) in order to balance the nutrients they receive (most easy keepers need *only* good quality hay/grass and a ration balancer), and pasture. Most pasture--at least around our area--is so grazed down that you can't sustain a horse on it. Especially not an event horse, who will need hay AND probably additional vitamins and a source of fat and additional carbohydrates, unless it is a LL horse or a Draftie.

Feeding fat has NO downside, unless the horse is already fat and doesn't need additional calories. I like ground Flax (from Horsetech), but some of my students use oil to add feed to the diet. Obviously alternative fat sources are beet pulp and rice bran. Preferred oil sources are *not* pure corn oil because it contains more Omega 6 than Omega 3 (but you already know all of this, I'm sure! )

The hunter folks like 'em fat, eventers less so Anyway, the hunter horses tend to expend fewer calories (unless they are being longed into the ground), and they certainly don't do trot/canter sets or conditioning hack or hillwork on a regular basis. Personally, I like to see a little more flesh than many eventers, who like that "long lean TB appearance", but this *can* be achieved with great forage, and plenty of it! (And I have two Whippets; that's about as much long and lean as I would like to look at, and these two are in GOOD flesh--too good, if we are talking Sighthound purists )
        "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

Comment

My trainer owns multiple horses that have run Prelim and Intermediate and every level below. We feed homegrown hay, sweetfeed, and the very active event horses got Advantage during show season. That's it.
          Tru : April 14, 1996 - March 14, 2011
          Thank you for everything boy.

Better View.

Comment

I've become kind of a back to basics feeder since my mare unequivocally told me a few years ago that even basic 10% pellets had to much extra stuff in them for her to be sane...thankyouverymuch!

So...she gets all the good quality hay she can eat (about 25-30 pounds daily), beet pulp, alfalfa pellets (1 to 2 ratio, all soaked) plus 1 pound stabilized rice bran daily. She's getting about 2 qts dry volume alfalfa pellets and 1 qt beet pulp dry volume daily right now. She gets a vitamin/mineral supplement to balance everything out since this is not a "complete feed" and ensure the calcium/phosphorus stays good. It's a lot of food, all blown up and soaked, but it's not "concentrated" so she can eat it slowly or quickly and it basically digests like hay for her.

She is a HARD keeper in that she needs her forage, but will not tolerate processed grains to fatten her up. So, I'm loving this diet. I can see what she's eating, it's basically all forage, the protein from the alfalfa builds muscle and the fat from the rice bran gives her the extra calories she needs to keep building it and not steal from her muscle building to stay warm. This is the first winter in 4 years that she has not dropped significant weight...but I also decided to blanket her like it's the arctic And, she's a hot horse, but the alfalfa doesn't seem to stress her out. Last winter, this diet helped her gain about 200 pounds over the winter after we moved from the barn that quit believing in hay and she plummeted while on stall rest in about 3 weeks. Thanks guys!

My little guy gets 8 qts whole oats and a few handfuls alfalfa pellets (all soaked) daily plus lots of hay. He's still growing like a weed, so while he's putting on muscle, he's not getting fat yet Also minerals for him.

I'm basically to the point where I will use those four feeds, plus barley if needed (All hot soaked) for whatever horse I have. Rice bran for fat and vitamin mineral supps to round it out. Now that's not a simple as a scoop of sweet feed, but I truly believe it's healthier and more in the vein of what they want to eat.

Some horses may have a hard time transitioning to this right away, especially if they have always eaten molasses based feeds. The loss of sugar will make the food taste a little bland at first I think. but...eventually they get past that. And, the alfalfa/oats combo helps combat ulcers...plus all that hay
            TPR!
            Thoroughbred Placement Resources, Inc
            www.goodhorse.org

Comment

My horses get a ration balancer, a grass mix hay, pasture and that's it. Did 2 long format CCI* on just that...
              http://www.cngsporthorses.com

Comment

This is basically what has worked best for my OTTB gelding too - plain shredded beet pulp, Tiple Crown Lite (to get the vitamins and minerals), Tri-Amino (to get adequate protein) dressed with 3/4 cup Rice Bran oil, and all the hay he can/will eat. We don't have a good hay source in my area but he's eating a nice grass hay supplemented with orchard alfalfa. I may begin alfalfa pellets over the summer. Rasta looks fantastic and is very, very sane on this diet.
                ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan

Comment

It really depends on the horse.

I've had my horses in barns that had similar feeding. Highest quality hay and as much of it as they will each and very good pasture and a good ration balancer. Most of the horses did very well....my big red horse STILL had to have more. He was one of the ones who had to have a ration balance, more grain (barley), fat supplement etc.....and this was before he was in heavy work.

His one TB half sister is the same. Other big horses who were fox hunting didn't need much extra.

So I do think you have to adjust to the individual.
                  ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Comment

This is an interesting thread for me right now. I've never considered my TB a hard keeper in the sense that I always felt like he was at a really good weight. But in the off season, he wouldn't gain weight, even though he was on no work, all the hay he can eat, and the same amount of grain he had during the season.

So basically, every season he lost a little bit of weight getting fit....and never gained it back.

Now, he's getting CCI** fit, and he is too thin. Not just tucked up like he's fit, he's ribbier than I want and he looks slightly hollow through his hindquarters.

He's on free choice Coastal, 1 flake of alfalfa, 6 quarts of 12% protein feed AM + PM, 1 lb of Amplify AM + PM, and 3 quarts (measured dry, then soaked) of beet pulp AM + PM. The alfalfa, Amplify, and beet pulp is new on Monday, I plan on upping the beet pulp once he starts becoming more enthusiastic about it. Right now he just picks at it, and eventually finishes it, but it takes several hours.

It's definitely something that's constantly on my mind, and while I would prefer to do less is more, for some reason free choice hay just doesn't seem to be cutting it for him. :-( I'm hoping I can cut out the Amplify and the alfalfa once he gets up to more weight, and just leave the beet pulp as part of his permanent diet. Luckily, I don't really worry about his energy level too much, although Ultium made him ridiculously spooky. So no Ultium for him.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Doolittle View Post
                      The hunter folks like 'em fat, eventers less so Anyway, the hunter horses tend to expend fewer calories (unless they are being longed into the ground), and they certainly don't do trot/canter sets or conditioning hack or hillwork on a regular basis. Personally, I like to see a little more flesh than many eventers, who like that "long lean TB appearance", but this *can* be achieved with great forage, and plenty of it! (And I have two Whippets; that's about as much long and lean as I would like to look at, and these two are in GOOD flesh--too good, if we are talking Sighthound purists )
                      Ever so slightly OT, but do you get people that come up to you and chastise you for not feeding your dog enough? If I take Antony (my IG) to a public place like Petsmart, little old ladies will come up and say "you need to put some meat on those bones!" which is both a) untrue and b) slightly creepy. People aren't used to seeing sighthounds at healthy weights when every lab, beagle, etc. is obese these days.

To keep this relevant, I have a draft x, so not the population of horses typical in eventing, but he's on as much timothy as he wants + about 1.5 lbs of LS feed divided between two meals, mostly so he gets something when everyone else eats.
                      Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Comment

• Original Poster

Ever so slightly OT, but do you get people that come up to you and chastise you for not feeding your dog enough? If I take Antony (my IG) to a public place like Petsmart, little old ladies will come up and say "you need to put some meat on those bones!" which is both a) untrue and b) slightly creepy. People aren't used to seeing sighthounds at healthy weights when every lab, beagle, etc. is obese these days.
                        I got this a lot with Stella, though it has toned down a bit in the last couple of years since she eats a tiny bit more and runs a tiny bit less (she's just a mutt, but VERY fit and not a big eater). My all time favorite, though, was when I had her in the vet office for a lameness and got seen by the young vet on staff. She was very worried about Stella's low heart rate and wanted to do an EKG!!! I said "She's the freaking Lance Armstrong of the dog world! Of course her heart rate's low...SHE'S FIT!!!!" For the record, Stella's normal vet at that practice LOVED her weight and fitness and wanted to show her off to all his fat dog clients.

But horses, right...interesting stuff here. I'm tempted to do a trial run on a couple of horses, but it makes me nervous! I'm all for feeding less grain, but it just seems like such a stretch that they'll have enough of what they DO need. Oy vey...I sound like one of those fat dog owners now!!!
                        Amanda

Comment

Have drastically changed what and how we feed over the last year, as a result of dealing with a very "gut-sore" OTTB we could not get any weight on.

Our horses are mostly high performance (three A grade polocrosse mares, a CDE pony) and the guy with the tummyache. We feed the very best hay we can get our hands on, currently a gorgeous high plain orchard that is scrumptious, beet pulp, the pony gets a ration balancer, the others get a small amount of a 10% pellet and the OTTB currently gets a water soluble vegetable fat supplement called Kompeet. And sweaty saddle pads, 24/7 turnout. Our horses are healthy, happy, in great weight with plenty of "sane" get up and go.
                          www.amiddle-agedmadwomantakesthereins.blogspot.com

www.pegasusridge.com

Comment

YB- I operate on that program as well and even the long/lean skinny Tb's do pretty darn well. They might need a bit extra calories in terms of a fat supplement but it seems like over time they stablize and I can drop that.

I feed an unlimited amount of alfalfa/orchard hay in hay feeders that are slow feed. You would think it slows them down but really they eat the same amount they just don't waste it. The truly easy keepers just get a ration balancer (I use TC 30%) and the hard keepers get a ration balancer mixed with TC senior and maybe a fat supplement if they need it.

The CANTER horses come in they just blossom on this program and these are typically horses 3-7 yrs old in work and what I would call hard keepers. They get fat!

Now there are always exceptions but those guys seem to catch up with time. I also like to have a strict worming program but that is just a personal belief for horses with unknown worming histories.
                            http://www.benchmarksporthorses.com/

Comment

I have always fed lightly.
                              In fact, for lower level horses I only feed once a day.

I feed alfalfa pellets and Horsetechs Glanzen Lite/Pre Ox combo. (It's got 2 oz flax per serving).
                              If I have one that needs calories I just add Cool Calories (Horsetech's FB100 is the cheapest cool calories I have found) and I add some more flax.

Horse can take up to 2 cups of oil/cool calories a day and 6-8oz of flax a day.
                              (is what I learned from COTH)

It's quite a bit of powder but I use beet pulp to mush it all up together and I feed it VERY wet. Pig slop wet--but we are in Texas where it is already hitting 90* on occasion so the extra moisture makes me feel good.

Coastal and Alfalfa hay. And they run loose on the farm (6 acres).

The hunter/jumper barns often do not give their horses a lot of turn out. This makes a big difference. When I chubbed my eventer up for the hunters, keeping him up is what made the difference. He was walking off calories when turned out...luckily he didn't mind being up in his stall/pen. But I can imagine that most hunter/jumper barns have limited turn out therefore their horses hang around and stuff themselves with hay all day without burning extras off roaming around and playing!!
                              That and their work load is quite a bit lighter than that of even a novice eventer.

It's kind of like comparing an administrator to a personal trainer in work loads. lol.
                              http://kaboomeventing.com/
                              http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
                              Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Comment

My 16.3H DWB/TB gets 1.25 quarts of beet pulp pellets (soaked) twice a day. One Cup of CocaSoya Oil, 1 cup of Platinum Performance, vit E and Vit E/Selenium. And, all the second cut, mostly grass, hay she can eat.

She was on Strategy prior to this diet and was looney, then I put her on a low-carb diet grain (Wellsolve) ... still high as a kite. Beet pulp, oil and hay have kept her spring hussies to a minimun, yet her energy is high.

She is shiny, well fleshed (not fat) works 6 (sometimes seven) days a week. She's been on this diet for 4 years now and is an accomplished Training horse has competed at Prelim with a professional. I fox hunt and event at novice.
                                Live, Laugh, Love
                                http://confessionsofanaaer.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Original Poster

So, I have to make a feed order today, anyway, so I think I'm going to give this experiment a go. I have a couple of "guinea pigs" lined up- trying to pick a variety from our horses. The BO's hard working but often a little wild WB cross (holds his weight VERY well), a boarder's BN/N TB mare who keeps her weight well and doesn't eat a ton but can be a little wild on occasion, Vernon (scares me to mess with his feed, but he should be ok on what I'm choosing), Toby, and the Blonde Pony.

I'm going to go with a RB (Pennfield's All Phase, since I'm a big fan of their stuff), lots of good hay (already there), and some source of fat. Do I really need SOY oil? It's pricey and I don't know if it is easily attainable (will ask feed dealer today). What about vegetable oil, or even just rice bran?
                                  Amanda

Comment

My Trainer feeds that way... fantastic hay (they actually had to bring in a lower grade hay for some horses as they were getting fat on the regular stuff), and a high fat, forage-based concentrate in fairly low quantities. Quite a few get just a handful.

All the horses are glossy and sleek...
                                    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

Comment

Originally posted by yellowbritches View Post
                                      I'm going to go with a RB (Pennfield's All Phase, since I'm a big fan of their stuff), lots of good hay (already there), and some source of fat. Do I really need SOY oil? It's pricey and I don't know if it is easily attainable (will ask feed dealer today). What about vegetable oil, or even just rice bran?

I don't think you need soy oil....but then again I feed my guys wheat germ oil (really a blend of wheat germ oil and soy oil).... Very easy to get.

It is basically another source of high fat and omega 3 fatty acids. It is also a good source of Vit E. Gives long lasting energy.

I know a couple of horses (I have one)who do not do well on soy based products. My one mare get's puffy and sore. So watch out for that.
                                      ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Comment

I also wanted to add that I truly do think it makes a difference in attitude. My conn/tb and the cleveland bay/tb filly in training are by far the two most sensitive horses in the barn in terms of being affected by feed.

It has made all the difference in the world in terms of rideability. Actually, just writing this I am wondering if the feed change isn't one of the main reasons my conn/tb is now able to be ridden by my hubby. My trainer hadn't seen him go in several years due to an injury and she couldn't get over how different he was. Gorgeous coat and muscling but his rideability has changed so drastically. I liked him as a hot horse but he often just wouldn't let you put pressure on him. Now he is still a bit hot but you can ride him. Should I say forgiving??? Ha, he truly is changed!

All these two eat are 1lb of ration balancer daily and very good quality timothy hay. They look amazing!

I personally prefer a cool calories product over oil because my tb's eat it better. However, most are in great condition and are not receiving additonal fat.
                                        http://www.benchmarksporthorses.com/

Comment

Working...
                                        X