• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

PNW: NWEC Roll Call! Need Entries!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PNW: NWEC Roll Call! Need Entries!

According to the NWEC website... they are running low on entries.

Any COTH'ers planning on going? I'm debating my own entry right now, but would love to meet up with some folks if I do go - very few eventer friends around here and I'll likely be travelling alone.

On that same note, if there is anyone south of Rainier interested in going that would like to trailer-pool, PM me! I'd be heading up from Salem and am happy to make a detour to pick up a horse or two.

I was planning on going but my horse pulled a suppensory in November so I can't take him. An the other horse that I am riding for the season won't be anywhere close to fit enough but I was hoping to go, I went last year and it was a very nice event.

Comment

I got the email regarding there low entries for their Mothers Day Classic and have been toying with entering. I was planning to do an HT later in the season (mainly because I'm so inundated w/work during the summer that it's hard to get away from the barn). Any input on how the course there would rate for a young horse doing his first HT? I would certainly love to meet up with other COTHers!
      Loved. Thankful. Blessed.

Comment

I'm not planning on going this year, but do plan on going to Aspen. Lucky, the course is a good one for a first timer. Very straightforward with no big surprises. There is one steep hill to navigate down so be prepared for that. Otherwise, it's really nice. I hear they're redoing their dressage arenas so the dressage phase will be on grass I believe.
        Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

Comment

Lucky;
          it's a LOVELY course, and a beautiful setting.
          I wish I could go, but as my filly's only turning 3 and not yet started, we'll have to wait for a couple of years. See you then, though!

Comment

My trainer is planning on taking a couple down, I think, and her client maybe one or two of her own horses.

Dunno if they've entered yet. I'm just hoping to tag along to groom!

Comment

• Original Poster

Well, if I can get out schooling first... we'll go. I'd wait for Aspen but it's just not in the budget for spring, especially not in the same month as Inavale.

Lucky, technically this would be my horse's first event that I'm aware of - he's a jumper that seems to be transitioning quite nicely so far. He's more than got the flatwork down (been showing First/schooling Second), but I'd like to get him out a few times before the season starts up.

Comment

I would have loved to go, but finals are the same day, and there is no getting around that in nursing school, so I am pretty bummed right now....Oh well!
                http://i405.photobucket.com/albums/p...r/DSC_1428.jpg

Comment

I wanna go!!!! Whats the date? And, where is it?

It would be super cool to meet fellow enthusiasts, since I have NOBODY to hang with that loves eventing as much as I do...

Hopefully, when Aspen turns 5 ish, (pending his readyness, although, he's so steady and reasonable) I may take him to our first trials in a year and a half. I want to go to some before hand.
                  Originally posted by dizzywriter
                  My saddle fits perfectly well. It might be a little tight around the waist, but I take care of that with those spandex things.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback guys! This is what I was hoping to hear. My entry will go out in tomorrows mail! VERY exciting!

I will be alone so would really like to meet up w/others who will be there. This will be my first time doing an HT w/out a friend tagging along to help I hope I can pull it all off by myself. Regardless I'm super stoked.

I've heard some murmers that the footing will be a mess and I should plan to run my boy in studs. He's never worn shoes (just turned 5) and I would prefer to keep him shoeless as long as I can. Any input on if I absolutely should shoe him and get the shoes drilled and tapped?

Thanks!

Comment

OH! Where is the best/closest hotel to stay at? Found great prices in Tumwater but that seems a bit far?

Comment

NWEC

entries filled out ready to visit PO today

A bit hard to realize it is indeed Event Season given record rain.

Here's to lots of road work for conditioning.

Of course drill and tap for NWEC (and most area VII events)

Comment

Lucky, saw your post and just thought I'd say hello. I'm an area vii eventer, and I actually live not too far from Rainier, so thought I'd add my two cents. I'm not riding at the event-- with this weather, I haven't been able to gallop at all, so I don't feel like my prelim mare is fit enough and the baby just doesn't have enough miles quite yet.

But Rainier is an excellent place for a first outing. The questions are all very straightforward-- mostly logs and inviting coops or ramps. All natural colors, and not a ton of decoration, and mostly under max height. They are completely rerouting the course this year, since some of the lower fields have recently been designated protected wetlands.

Footing-wise, for XC it's generally fine. You're on grass, so it's wet but the soil there drains really well, except for down on some of the lower fields-- but I'm guessing that's the new wetland area so it won't be huge deal. Some of the track that everyone uses will get mushy, but that's where taking a slightly different line comes into play, and there's plenty of room to do that! I generally have studs in, but I think that's personal decision based on what's best for your horse. Dressage and stadium are also on grass, and truthfully, I find that much more slippery than XC. But again, smart balanced turns and paying attention are key.

You might look in Yelm for places to stay. Or even Centralia. Welcome to the area. You and your pony will have a blast. But bring a rain slicker.
                          --Becky & the gang

"Anyone can slay a dragon, he told me, but try waking up every morning & loving the world all over again. That's what takes a real hero." from storypeople.com

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Lucky_Break View Post
                            I will be alone so would really like to meet up w/others who will be there. This will be my first time doing an HT w/out a friend tagging along to help I hope I can pull it all off by myself. Regardless I'm super stoked.
                            Thanks!
                            Lucky Break - I'd be thrilled to meet you! I'll be going alone and besides Outyougo, who I've known in real life for a while now (prior to COTH!) - don't know anybody going and will be travelling alone. If it's not too awkward I'd offer to help out if you need anything or just want someone to hang out with during all the down time. As for hotels, there's another thread somewhere that I think mtn trails mentioned a place to stay that was only about 7 miles from NWEC - I'll have to go look it up, I was just thinking about that myself. My eyes were a little at the thought of having to spend the same amount on a hotel as I am on the entry + stabling, but alas - that's the downfall of competing alone!

Cricket - look forward to seeing you out there. Who will you be riding? Do you have any students going?

Comment

Originally posted by Heinz 57 View Post
                              Lucky Break - I'd be thrilled to meet you! If it's not too awkward I'd offer to help out if you need anything or just want someone to hang out with during all the down time. As for hotels, there's another thread somewhere that I think mtn trails mentioned a place to stay that was only about 7 miles from NWEC - I'll have to go look it up, I was just thinking about that myself. My eyes were a little at the thought of having to spend the same amount on a hotel as I am on the entry + stabling, but alas - that's the downfall of competing alone!
                              Heinz57, EXCELLENT! It would not be awkward and as I have never had to compete w/out someone around to help, hang out with, etc it would be GREAT to meet up!!! I found a great deal on the Extended Stay hotel in Tumwater but was afraid it's too far? Maybe not. Like you I balked at the $200 price tag for a Thu-Sun stay!

YAYAYAYYAYAYAY! I will be SO HAPPY to have someone to chat with, maybe walk my courses with and generally have another hand if you have one to spare!

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Lucky_Break View Post
                                Heinz57, EXCELLENT! It would not be awkward and as I have never had to compete w/out someone around to help, hang out with, etc it would be GREAT to meet up!!! I found a great deal on the Extended Stay hotel in Tumwater but was afraid it's too far? Maybe not. Like you I balked at the $200 price tag for a Thu-Sun stay!

YAYAYAYYAYAYAY! I will be SO HAPPY to have someone to chat with, maybe walk my courses with and generally have another hand if you have one to spare!
                                I'm strongly considering pitching a tent, if it wasn't so likely to still be as cold as it is now. I've actually been looking at campers for the truck, thinking that if I can find a good deal on an older but usable one that it would pay for itself in just a few shows.

I'll PM you with my phone number, I usually check COTH regularly but don't always see PM's right away.

Comment

• Original Poster

PSA

I'm trying to plan a schooling trip to NWEC for this coming Saturday - the 16th. If anyone would like to go, its just me at this point. If anyone nearby/on the way wants to go - please let me know, I'd be happy to pick you up or meet you there.

The weather right now says sunny and clear - here's your chance!

Comment

Heinz,

SO wish I could join you! I'll be on the westside but shopping for lesson horses all weekend. Blah.

Comment

Place to Stay in Yelm

The Pioneer hotel is a great place and make sure you ask for the corporate rate and you'll save a few bucks. Maybe you could camp in your horse trailer and forego the hotel altogether? I know plenty of people who do just that and think, no driving after the competitor party!
                                      Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

Comment

• Original Poster

There will definitely be camping of some sort - I can't rationalize the cost of a hotel and the drive to and from every day!

Just popped in to report back about our schooling trip Saturday - weather was lovely, footing in the main field was pretty decent but we will definitely have studs handy for the show. My jumper-turned-eventer was a total star and seemed even more relaxed galloping XC fences than he does schooling in the ring at home. He eyeballed the water the first time in, but I'm hoping now that he's gotten his feet wet it'll be no big deal.

Comment

Working...
                                        X