• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

One * riders and XC...how do we teach them horsemanship?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One * riders and XC...how do we teach them horsemanship?

We are failing our new * riders when teaching them horsemanship.

Last year at the USEA meeting, one of the discussions in the Professional Horseman's Council was in reference to the * riders not knowing what to do/who to bring/how to get ready for the end of XC.

Last weekend I was able to watch all of the ** and * riders come through the finish flags on XC.

MOST of the ** riders had a groom or 2 waiting, with halter in hand, helping the rider to dismount for the initial vet inspection (P,T, R, general impressions). They listened and understood the importance of these findings, and then made their way to the 10 min box.

MOST of the * riders had NO ONE. They had to be gently instructed to dismount, and looked blank when the TPR info was being called out. Blank looks when told to proceed to the 10 min box.

(there are exceptions to the above generalizations, but not many).

I am NOT bashing these riders. They were not deliberately thoughtless. I think they truly didn't know what to do or what help was needed for them, or what "those random numbers mean" (quote from one rider).

How do we help them? Do we make the new to * riders attend an additional meeting? Do we ask them individually to name their suppport crew?

Originally posted by FlightCheck View Post
    How do we help them? Do we make the new to * riders attend an additional meeting? Do we ask them individually to name their suppport crew?
    How about asking them who they train with?

I appreciate that eventing needs to have them better educated, but technically, their trainer's job is to prepare them. If they're riding at a one star and really don't know this, then we have some pretty deep problems all the way around.

This just makes me sad.

SCFarm
    The above post is an opinion, just an opinion. If it were a real live fact it would include supporting links to websites full of people who already agreed with me.

www.southern-cross-farm.com

Comment

We test them..... on paper. Without a horse, and until they pass a test of actual viable knowledge questions, they only get to do Ht's and CIC's.

But moreover you might find that the source of the problem relates back to the ongoing issues that loss of land has led to a changing of the guard in instructors, which led to a lack of Long format people teaching, which led to less common knowledge in the riders advancing, which came from a decline in pony club members, which led to a solid base of riders paying for 60 mins of instructions ON the horses and figuring that they knew everything they needed once they crosses the finish line in their first prelim.

Rarely have I seen "Younger" riders seeking out knowledge the way I saw when I was also that age (Over 20 years ago)

Instant gratification era means that doing work and research is boring, and since Facebook and cross country is fun, that's where the focus goes. And I can point to probably 30+ examples in my list of FB friends alone.

~Emily
      "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Comment

Originally posted by Xctrygirl View Post
        Rarely have I seen "Younger" riders seeking out knowledge the way I saw when I was also that age (Over 20 years ago)
        Because there aren't a million posts asking for working student positions from younger generations. And "back then" everyone was a perfect horse(wo)man and never took their mount for granted.

Each generation says the next generation is going to hell in a hand basket. And so far that hasn't been true.

How are the students supposed to know what questions to ask when there are less competent instructors available?

How about asking CoTH to have a sticky about this information? Or added to an archive of important articles sorted by sport/level.

Thousands of people in the younger generation are using this very forum (and other similar ones) to try and get information they need, to better their position through critiques, etc... This information needs to be made more accessible through the new channels of communication.

Comment

Glad to hear that someone is finally noticing this!
          I think this is the biggest fall back from the loss of the long format. This and the conditioning process.
          I think alot has to do with many instructors today also do not have the education and background of past long format riders so they do not pass this on. They do have the short format process and qualifications down but not the horsemanship skills of days gone by.
          I was fortunate to literally grow up in a BNR's barn so in 31 years of being around there had no choice but to learn from the ground up. That education was/is priceless...
          How do you teach this?...... That's a tough one....
          I would think maybe having conditioning and preparedness educational seminars. Also maybe make attending one part of qualifying to do your first * . Not sure if this would work but it is something that could be done fairly easily in the different areas. Maybe get upper level members of PRO to teach them?
          Otherwise....maybe make it part of the rider briefing so they at least know what they will need and what is expected. Though I think it's a little late at that point if they aren't prepared....
          "A little less chit-chat a little more pitter-pat"

Comment

Originally posted by sabriel View Post
            Thousands of people in the younger generation are using this very forum (and other similar ones) to try and get information they need, to better their position through critiques, etc... This information needs to be made more accessible through the new channels of communication.
            OK viable point, but the stuff you need to know at the end of phase c and entering into the 10 minute box goes beyond the conceptual info that you find in books or online. You need to experience learning to take your horse's pulse and respiration levels both from their back and on the ground. Using a heart monitor once or twice (borrowed would work) is an eye opening experience as to what a horse's body does and needs from the fitness work.

Knowing how to monitor your friends and who is doing what while you're in the box is vital. This is a touch and feel thing that should be practiced by helping others, often higher level long format riders, so you can see and feel and learn through the experience of being in the situation.

So really it's probably the lack of 2*, 3* and 4*'s in the long format that led to the lack of knowledge with the 1* riders. Nowhere to practice.

Ok so why not put out some clinic like situations where you let riders "practice" a schooling endurance day. Hack out a bit, jump like 3 laps of outside lines in a ring (instead of steeplechase), hack out longer, then do a practice 10 minute box and then go out and jump like 10 xc fences, and do a practice cool down. It wouldn't be more work than a normal jump school/trot/gallop combo day and it could be beneficial to all to practice in a non competition setting.

~Emily
            "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Comment

Pony Club. Horse management and conditioning are all essential parts of moving up in the ratings. Sadly there are some trainers who steer their jr riders away from it rather than use it as a fun way to augment what they are already learning in a trainer's program.

Comment

Originally posted by FlightCheck View Post
                We are failing our new * riders when teaching them horsemanship.

Last year at the USEA meeting, one of the discussions in the Professional Horseman's Council was in reference to the * riders not knowing what to do/who to bring/how to get ready for the end of XC.

Last weekend I was able to watch all of the ** and * riders come through the finish flags on XC.

MOST of the ** riders had a groom or 2 waiting, with halter in hand, helping the rider to dismount for the initial vet inspection (P,T, R, general impressions). They listened and understood the importance of these findings, and then made their way to the 10 min box.

MOST of the * riders had NO ONE. They had to be gently instructed to dismount, and looked blank when the TPR info was being called out. Blank looks when told to proceed to the 10 min box.

(there are exceptions to the above generalizations, but not many).

I am NOT bashing these riders. They were not deliberately thoughtless. I think they truly didn't know what to do or what help was needed for them, or what "those random numbers mean" (quote from one rider).

If they were at Poplar at the riders meeting on Fri. evening, there was plenty of opp for them to learn, Jenn and Max were available after the meeting to answer questions about "vet box" protocal so there should have been no excuses.

Comment

Pony Club

Agreed- pony club should be used to supplement eventing training programs when possible. Even for the pony clubbers going amoeba at eventing rally there is a vet box at the end- TPRs are taken and the importance of conditioning, warming up, and cooling down is emphasized. Just having to fill out a stall card and feed chart is more horse management then many younger riders are getting.

Comment

Originally posted by nextyear View Post
                    If they were at Poplar at the riders meeting on Fri. evening, there was plenty of opp for them to learn, Jenn and Max were available after the meeting to answer questions about "vet box" protocal so there should have been no excuses.
                    THIS. First of all, everyone, the ** and * Flight Check is referring to is Poplar, which was a CIC, not a CCI, and has ALWAYS been 'short format' since it is a CIC.

Second of all, at the FEI riders meeting, it was emphasized SEVERAL times that the 10 minute box at the end was VERY important. It was also stated that if you did NOT know how to do a vet box, Jenn Holling and Max Corcoran were available immediately after the meeting to go over the box with you. If the * riders did not choose to stay and listen, that is their own fault, because Poplar made every effort to educate them.

I have to add that I know for a fact that the * rider from our barn was prepared because Jacob Fletcher, a 16 year old YR from our Area who was also competing this weekend, and his groom Elizabeth Crowder spent two hours in the vet box handling all the Area V horses as they came in, including the * horse. People who are willing to give up their time to help in the vet box are invaluable, and I am super proud of our Area V Young Rider program when they are willing to help out like this.

Comment

• Original Poster

Divine,
                      Yes- your group was great!

And Hope's mom was waiting on her, of course.

I did hear that the "after the meeting" with Jen and Max was not well attended.

I really believe, as others wrote, that it DOES start with the coaches/trainers.

So we know that. How do we help?

Comment

Poplar Place actually had Jen Hollings and Max at the rider's meeting to discuss what was needed and answer questions. Which was great. I can't imagine what more could have been done to educate everybody.

Not a very good excuse, but the last CIC* my rider went to had the initial vet inspection right next to the ten minute box. At Poplar, I didn't realize where the inspection was until my rider was already there and untacking. She wasn't clueless, but I was. So, as her groom, I failed...not her. I knew what to do but was at the ten minute box in the wrong place.

More than half the CIC* riders were doing their first FEI competition. My guess is that although they technically knew what needed to be done, it is like book learning, and they needed the actual experience. (I know that most of these riders have helped their trainers out at previous CCIs and CICs...but there grooms might not have.) Now they and their grooms will know what to do in the future. Just as the CIC** riders and grooms knew as they have done this over and over again.

Comment

Originally posted by EventingChase View Post
                          Agreed- pony club should be used to supplement eventing training programs when possible. Even for the pony clubbers going amoeba at eventing rally there is a vet box at the end- TPRs are taken and the importance of conditioning, warming up, and cooling down is emphasized. Just having to fill out a stall card and feed chart is more horse management then many younger riders are getting.
                          Yes and No. As someone who came up through PC I agree with its importance and the strong horse management base it can provide. On the other hand I have ridden with some really crappy instructors in PC...in fact most of them (both through my local club and at festival) many of the good ones are taken for granted and treated poorly... many of the kids are rude and even in pony club don't always want to learn the horse management aspects. It ultimately does come back to the instructors (is this fair..i dont know) because students often don't know their own limitations... so I know some Pony Clubs are great.. and I really did learn a ton that I still use to this day, I guess i just have issues with generalizing the issue is ... 'this generation', instructors, if every rider was in PC it would be better... I think one of the biggest reasons we have issues is because people cant say NO..trainers not telling kids if they aren't proficient at x, y, z then they wont move up, parents who wont support the coaches decision, and the pressure from riding buddies to move up (ready or not)... this has gotten a but off topic so I am going to stop rambling now

Comment

Allow me please to describe better what I am including in my comments about this generation

I include the instructors who don't know enough about the long format due to the advent of the short format

The riders who don't read books as much as they read Social networking sites

The parents who don't stand at events anymore and talk to other parents about whats what, and what comes next.

The ongoing system of eventing that hasn't seen the lack of knowledge and yet found a way to plug the hole in the dyke.

I am not generalizing about ages alone. But hello..... this is the first "generation" of eventers who haven't come up with the long format as a prevalent part of the system.

So in and of itself this "generation" is a big deal in our world. Because they started and have progressed from a different place than many of us started from.

~Emily

Comment

Please take it easy on the generalizations -- yes, there are people who don't make the effort to educate themselves. There always will be. BUT THERE ARE MANY OF US WHO DO. We eat alive every article, every lecture, everything we can find that might help us learn more about our horses and our sport. We lay in bed awake at night trying to think up better plans. We really are out there and there are a lot of us at every level and age group.

I realize twenty years ago all of you were perfect pony clubbers and knew everything you had to do (ok, I'm being snarky, I'll admit it), but you need to realize that not everyone can train with a specialized eventing trainer, not everyone can do Pony Club, not everyone has easy access to all the resources that you have or you perceive to be out there.

People are people -- no matter what decade it is. Some will suck and not care, some will try hard and do their best and still mess up, and a few will wildly succeed. There is no such thing as "the good old days," just different days. You can provide education and opportunities all you want but you can't force people to attend and absorb them. Many people also learn by doing -- yeah, we will probably screw it up the first time, sorry if it is heinous to watch, but it's a process.
                              Life doesn't have perfect footing.

Bloggily entertain yourself with our adventures (and disasters):
                              We Are Flying Solo

Comment

Another vote for pony club. It is amazing what these kids can do. My daughter (and me as well) is disgusted when she sees how riders (usually in other disciplines) cannot function without a trainer and/or groom present at all times to hold their hands..that is one reason we joined pony club and even though she is in college and showing is temporarily on hold for her, I remain active in pc and have been appointed as the HMO (Horse Management Organizer) for next year for our region.
                                Lori T
                                www.calypsofarmeventers.blogspot.com
                                www.facebook.com/LoriTankelPhotography
                                www.facebook.com/LTEquine for product updates on the lines I rep

Comment

If we had more upper level riders in pony club, i think this would change...that "silly number thing" is one of the first things taught to us PCers.
                                  Why walk when you can ride?

Comment

Originally posted by wildlifer View Post
                                    I realize twenty years ago all of you were perfect pony clubbers and knew everything you had to do (ok, I'm being snarky, I'll admit it), but you need to realize that not everyone can train with a specialized eventing trainer, not everyone can do Pony Club, not everyone has easy access to all the resources that you have or you perceive to be out there.
                                    Then you're generalizing me too.

Never did pony club. Family couldn't afford it, money or time wise.

Took me 3 (yes 3) attempts to FINISH my first prelim HT. I'm imperfect as all hell and will readily admit it. Because I believe accepting a lack of perfection allows me to strive to be better easier.

I trained with a variety of trainers from a variety of disciplines, and I stayed at the barns I took lessons or rode at and watched and helped out all day.

The resources that I perceive to be out there are these:

Lessons/clinics exist where people can watch and help jump crew or just listen for free.

Horse shows, not events, where you can attend on an off weekend and watch how the rounds are ridden and how those riders are making their choices for lines, distances etc.

Youtube, where you can look up the names of BNR's and Smaller show names and watch many people contest the same courses and see what they did and how it worked or didn't.

VOLUNTEERING, so you can give back to the sport and watch and learn from others as you do so.

It takes a lot of $$$$$ and time to have eventers, we all know that. But what resources are out there that are cheaper than expected are invaluable to the learning process. It takes work. It takes time and all of it will benefit you in the end.

I guess the simplest way to state it is this:

You can either find or make time to educate yourself more, or you choose not to.

I was always told if you wanted something bad enough you could find a way to make it happen.

~Emily

Comment

I have no idea if I'll ever make it anywhere near a 1* event as a rider, but if anyone in the Pgh area is interested in training up a groom to help out, I would LOVE to learn all this stuff and get hands-on experience.

(To be clear about required training - I have ridden and tacked up a horse plenty of times, but not frequently recently, so I'm probably a bit rusty. I've also never done the whole breastplate - boots business, so we'd definitely have to spend some time pre-event so we were all on the same page. So it's not like I've never been near a horse before. That said, I am a VERY good film producer in terms of on-set practical issues, so once I understand what's going on and what's needed, I should be right there on top of things - and will probably be one of those people who has fifty billion random things like a roll of black electrical tape for boot zipper emergencies and safety pins somewhere on or near my person.)

Comment

I'm going to go out on a limb and say they don't know because they've never experienced it. To a lot of people, a CIC is the same as a horse trial. The only difference is that it costs more money, you ride a different test and you can wear a top hat and tails if you so wish.

Watch the finish line at regular horse trials. it's often no different. You dismount, loosen the girth and nosebands, and walk around until the vet tells you to leave. I have rarely seen water at the finish line of a regular xc day, and I've never seen anyone taking stats.

With the drop out of the long format CCIs, there is no 10 minute box. Often that was the start of the education. You'd learn your horse's vitals at home, after workouts, after gallops, but you'd never know how they are going to respond to that kind of exercise until after B when the vet tells you how they are. Then you get on and go again and the vet will tell you at D box how they are. That stuff doesn't exist anymore. You can get all the way without learning how to do it, so people don't. Getting a number a couple times from a vet and being able to compare recovery is a lot different than being given vitals at the end when you are heading to the barn and have nothing to compare to. They are just numbers to most people.

That's why the learning 3DE's are so important. I'd wager a guess that there are several trainers out there that don't know it, or never practice it even if they do.

Comment

Working...
                                        X