• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

You and your dressage saddle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You and your dressage saddle

As a group of people who spend most of their time in shallow seated saddles with their stirrups jacked up, what kind of a dressage saddle doesn't make you scream "I usually jump, I'm so sorry for my seat!."

My toes stick out, the backs of my calves grip my horse instead of drapping lightly, and when I ask for the canter I do it with a slight forward incline in my body. Stupid dressage.

Do you use a deep seated, exterior blocked beast that wedges you in the proper position, or do you like a closer contact saddle? Does your dressage instructor sigh and shake her head?
    http://weanieeventer.blogspot.com/

Well, my dressage instructor often sighs and shakes her head, but IME what defines "the right saddle" is sort of analogous to trying to select the right husband, wife, horse, or other major decision. Very personal, very variable, and sometimes you just don't know until you are already committed.

FWIW, blocks and deep seats make me pinch MORE. Nothing holds me in place except my own flailing efforts, linearly related to my level of fitness and hours spent in the saddle. One way to expedite the process of staying put is to do occasional no-stirrup longe lessons.
    Click here before you buy.

Comment

Originally posted by deltawave View Post
      Nothing holds me in place except my own flailing efforts, linearly related to my level of fitness and hours spent in the saddle.
      so very true. I'm also of the "less is more" camp, in terms of blocks and rolls and such. I have a Michael Stokes model that I love love love but, aside from the pretty two-tone leather, there's not much fancy about it.
      Balanced Care Equine

Comment

I really don't think the fact that you jump should be any reason for you not to be able to have a good seat in a dressage saddle...it just takes work, just like your jump position does. That being said, fighting a poorly fitted, badly designed saddle doesn't really help.

I am more of a "less is more" kinda girl when it comes to my saddles, especially my dressage saddle. It is a Kniedersuss (sp?), fairly close contact, nothing really more than a pencil knee roll. It fits me well (a lot of dressage saddles are too wide in the twist for me and the flaps are too long), is well balanced, puts me in the correct position without propping me up, sticking me in, or offering me a crutch. If I don't do my due diligence, it shows, but I am not fighting to be in the right spot....when it's right, it's easy.

It is VERY personal, though, like dw said. What I love about my saddle some would hate, and there are a lot of saddles out there that their owners ADORE that I would hate with every fiber of my being! And this:
        and sometimes you just don't know until you are already committed.
        is very true. I kept turning my nose up at my saddle, for weeks. I kept going into my local tack shop and sitting in everything new they'd get in, but kept looking past this one because I couldn't imagine that I would like it at all (besides that it looked too big on the rack, I also could not imagine that a Kniedersuss would be to my very particular tastes at all). I finally got talked into sitting in it, since staff, coach, etc were all sick of looking at saddles with me Love at first sit.
        Amanda

Comment

I don't like huge blocks on a dressage saddle either. What works for you best will depend on your conformation. That said, from the second I sat in my Black Country, I had mad love and it encourages a correct position with completely forcing you. I had a similar experience in my BO's Albion, although it was not as armchair comfy as my BC.
          Life doesn't have perfect footing.

Bloggily entertain yourself with our adventures (and disasters):
          We Are Flying Solo

Comment

I totally suck dressage position wise, but the County Connection and the Devoucoux Milady (older model) seem to help me a bit
            OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Comment

I rode in a collegiate event saddle for close to ten years. I got a nice tax refund (about $2500) and decided to leave my old (and now ill-fitting) saddle behind for a nice, new jumping saddle and dressage saddle. I took the jumping saddle on trial, liked it, bought it, had a lesson in it, yey!

Took the dressage saddle on trial, liked it, bought it, had a lesson in it...trainer told me I had to just walk in that saddle for two weeks just to get used to it because I was all over the place.

Recently, I went from riding in my jumping saddle all winter, to putting the dressage saddle on a horse I was riding. I again, felt somewhat awkward. Another student of my trainer's spent all winter galloping racehorses. She had her first lesson of the year and commented that the stirrups in her jumping saddle felt way to long. I am sure someone going from a dressage saddle to a jumping saddle would have similar issues.

A lot of it is what you are used to and getting used to something else. My dressage saddle has a significantly deeper seat than my jumping saddle, but no significant knee or thigh blocks (they are there, just not any bigger than the blocks on the jumping saddle). It has a lot to do with the longer stirrup and the way you sit in a dressage saddle.

So, yeah, a good jumper should be ablel to eventually have a good dressage seat as well.

As far as saddles go, my trainer and I sat in a $4,000 Hermes dressage saddle and we both were quite puzzled with who would actually find it comfortable!

Comment

• Original Poster

I just bought this one and I'm still deciding if I like it. It is a dressage saddle but seems to be designed for a slightly more forward leg and shorter stirrup. My dressage friend doesn't like it for me (doesn't give me a classical straight long leg) but I feel secure in it, well balanced as I can be in a dressage saddle, and my horse seems to love it.

It's kind of like riding bareback.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/20892581@N04/5569453827/
                http://weanieeventer.blogspot.com/

Comment

You know the saddle when you sit in it.

I was deadset against my current saddle until I saw it "click" on my horse's back. I still didn't want it. It's a 25-year-old brown kieffer. It needed lots of work and I wanted to "look the part" by going black.

It was the only saddle I rode in that day where I just rode and didn't force or fidget. It has minimal rolls and what I'd say is in between a deep and a half-deep seat. It rides more like a CC and the waist is pretty narrow. It has minimal comfort and will punish you if you get too bad out of position (though sometime not enough of a deterent!).

I get in friends' saddles that basically fillet you open and pin you there and I lose use of my lower leg aides.

Also, lots of stirrupless work in your dr saddle is necessary for counteracting your jump position, getting plugged in and "draping" your leg instead of keeping a vice grip on the horse.

Good luck in your search!

Comment

Originally posted by enjoytheride View Post
                    "My toes stick out, the backs of my calves grip my horse instead of drapping lightly, and when I ask for the canter I do it with a slight forward incline in my body."
                    For starters, toes shouldn't be sticking out, and calves shouldn't be always gripping your horse. I am a culprit of the toes sticking out too which causes your calf to put pressure on your horse. As with any other aid, when used too much the horse becomes numb or in this case oversensitive. I am ever so politely reminded of this occasionally in my lessons.

Coming from a hunter/jumper background, even 11 years later I still tend to tip slightly forward especially in dressage. I just bought a Stubben Tristan for dressage which has a higher pommel. This is one of the main reasons why I bought this saddle: the pommel MAKES me sit back. My horse is happier, and our dressage work has gotten much better.
                    Horse, thou art truly a creature without equal, for thou fliest without wings and conquerest without sword.

Comment

A lot of my friends ride Dressage in a County Connection with a forward flap. The flap is just forward enough to allow a comfortable leg position after all that jumping! The forward flap is a special order on a new saddle.

Is it a "classic" leg position? I don't think many "modern/straight" dressage instructors would like it, but the dressage judges don't seem to mind! My friends are getting 7's and 8's on their position.

Hmmm..... wasn't there just an article or blog on COTH about dressage leg position? Something about the correct knee position being further forward then people think?

The only thing I would check on the saddle before ordering or buying used is the width of the gullet. The older models have a wider gullet that my horses like a lot! The newer models gullet seems to be about an inch narrower. I checked with the rep and you should be able to order with the wider gullet.

Comment

When I was 20 I rode in England at a fancy barn. I got to ride lots of horses in lots of saddles.

Whenever I rode in a Kieffer, regardless of the horse, it just felt like it put me in the right place. Some people hate them, some people love them. But eventually when I bought my dressage saddle, that's what I chose and I've been very happy with it.

You just need to try out a bunch of saddles and eventually you'll find one that puts you in the most comfortable place.
                        ==================
                        Somehow my inner ten year old seems to have stolen my chequebook!

http://reriderandpony.blogspot.com/

Comment

When I got both saddles fitted as mare was being brought back into work post injury, I discovered that the Wintec dressage saddle (which came with the horse) fit both mare and I really well. It is not fancy, but suits both of us well, and the saddle fitter hardly had to touch it to adjust it into place. I feel lucky, not having to scour the planet for a $2K needle in a haystack.

A good saddle should HELP place you in the right position, and then stay out of your way, IMHO.
                          I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
                          I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

Comment

I’m really struggling with my dressage position – I’m blaming my years of h/j lessons, not my saddle, for me cranking my heels down, pulling up my knee and tensing my legs when I ride, especially without stirrups, I’ve been working hard on the sitting trot with no stirrups trying to relax my leg and sit but even when I’m told I’m doing it right, or at least better, it doesn’t feel right & doesn’t feel effective, so I’m never sure if I’m practicing correctly on my own. My first dressage saddle (that I got last spring because I only discovered this amazing eventing thing recently) was a old brown Kieffer – it fit both me and my horse but had no padding left and was hard as a rock, I thought something with a bit more cushion may help me sit or want to sit, now I have a collegiate which I’m happy with for now, I love riding in my trainer’s County Connection but not sure if it would help with my current struggles or not. Even at the canter I can’t figure out how to sit & not pump with my seat.

Comment

When I evented, I almost always rode in a Stubben for both dressage and jumping. I think at one point I did have a County dressage saddle, then a Kieffer. I don't jump much anymore, as my dressage horse is deathly afraid of everything, including puddles. I ride in an Albion and it is quite comfortable. I also still have my Ovation jump saddle, which I wish I had many years ago, as it is very comfy
                              Mirror Image 2001-2007

Comment

Originally posted by AzuWish View Post
                                You know the saddle when you sit in it.
                                This bears repeating.
                                I think the best thing is to go to a tack shop that has lots of different models both new and used to sit in. A friend and I drove 3 hours to do just that and that helped tremendously. Initially I thought I would have to spend 2k plus to find a saddle that would meet my needs. I sat in probably 20+ saddles. Everything from a 700 Dover circuit a 4k Hermes, a stackhouse and a nice Jaguar too.
                                The minute I sat in my saddle I could tell it was the perfect fit. I was shocked to discover it was a hardly known brand in the Dressage world and amazingly affordable.
                                Lucky for me it also happened to be a great fit for my horse that needed very little adjusting.
                                I ended up with a Berney Bros Kildaire Dressage saddle. It's close contact but has enough blocks to help remind your leg of the proper position rather than lock it in place. Narrow twist which was essential for me too.
                                Last edited by LookinSouth; Mar. 31, 2011, 09:44 PM.

Comment

I think you should get really good at dressage before you start jumping, so your dressage seat should be the norm

I also believe that less is more. I ride in an Ansur with the removable blocks removed. I'm about as close to my horse as I can get, and I have nothing holding me in place, not even a tree.
                                  "If you can't feed 'em, don't breed 'em."

Comment

I have the Passier Grand Gillbert with the biggest honkin' knee blocks I've ever seen. It's almost embarrassing they are so enormous!

I bought the saddle used and it was like new for an incredible price. It fit my horse and has that lovely wide gullet. I don't think the saddle does much to help my position other than it fits me and sits correctly on the horse, but I don't find myself fighting it either. Best thing I did for my dressage position was shorten my stirrups! The blocks? I could take 'em or leave 'em.

Comment

Originally posted by subk View Post
                                      I have the Passier Grand Gillbert with the biggest honkin' knee blocks I've ever seen. It's almost embarrassing they are so enormous!

I bought the saddle used and it was like new for an incredible price. It fit my horse and has that lovely wide gullet. I don't think the saddle does much to help my position other than it fits me and sits correctly on the horse, but I don't find myself fighting it either. Best thing I did for my dressage position was shorten my stirrups! The blocks? I could take 'em or leave 'em.
                                      I've been riding in a Kieffer for the last couple years, and while I like it fine (depending on the horse), lately I've been feeling like I had to fight with it to really sit on the horse and RIDE (as opposed to just being a passenger). After seeing pictures from our last dressage show, it really proved my concerns and I went bargain hunting. My old instructor had a Passier that I rode quite well in, and so I managed to find one used for a steal ($300!). It arrived this week and I'm hoping to get in a ride on both boys tonight if it fits them.

In answer to the original question, I spend far more time in my dressage saddle than I do my jumping saddle. I find it MUCH easier to re-adjust that direction than from the jumping saddle to dressage. In a perfect world, I'd probably spend equal amounts of time in both, or at least 2/3 v 1/3. I will admit that I need to work on getting a really deep heel back, the one downside to having spent most of my time lately in a dressage saddle!

Comment

I won a very large bet, and I have custom Stackhouse jumping and dressage saddles.

I. love. them.

They are made for ME, and for my horse. They put my leg in the right place. They make it easy to sit. They are comfy.

I know not everyone can afford a custom saddle...but it really helped me.
                                        --Becky in TX
                                        Clinic Blogs and Rolex Blogs
                                        She who throws dirt is losing ground.

Comment

Working...
                                        X