• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Darren's Bit?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Darren's Bit?

Does anyone know what this bit is that Darren puts on his horses? You can see it here and here and here. He seems to have it most of his horses for XC and SJ. I'd never seen one like it and was wondering if you guys know what it is.

"One needs an end to journey toward, but it's the journey that matters in the end."
    There's a rainbow in the sky all the time, don't be blind." -Ziggy Marley

www.equinepartnershots.com
  • Original Poster

Does anyone know what this bit is that Darren puts on his horses? You can see it here and here and here. He seems to have it most of his horses for XC and SJ. I'd never seen one like it and was wondering if you guys know what it is.

"One needs an end to journey toward, but it's the journey that matters in the end."

Comment

I don't know what it is called, but it is all the rage in the jumpers these days, too. I think it may be what Dorina is referring to on the h/j thread as a "mikmar".

Comment

there is an add in this month's PH (probably twd the back of the mag) for this bit - it gives a bigger picture of it. I was just looking at it this morning.

Comment

• Original Poster

Wow- one of these?!. Call me old fashioned but I wouldn't put one of those anywhere near my horses! They would probably flip over backwards if I touched the reins! That is quite the contraption!! I guess it is a quick and easy fix, and it seems to be working for him...

Comment

whether or not darren's using one of those mikmars or not (the 3rd pic looks different, but can't really tell what he's using in any of the pics) i would hesitate to put one of those things in ANY horse's mouth. and quite honestly, i could care less WHAT big name is using them these days. i've had really good luck with horses of all types/temperments/levels with a good old SNAFFLE. don't plan on changing that either.

Comment

I think it's a big mistake to copy a pro on a bit as most of them are much better riders than the rest of us ever will be. A bad riding moment could be a training disaster in the wrong bit, but I'm sure Darren has alot fewer of those moments than I do.

Personally I think it's more interesting that the same unusual bit is used on 3 different horses--none of which are particularly using their backs well.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>none of which are particularly using their backs well.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Understatement of the year, especially the second one!

SillyHorse
                ~ I'm probably on John Ashcroft's enemies list. At any rate, he's on mine. ~

Donald Trump - proven liar, cheat, traitor and sexual predator! Hillary Clinton won in 2016, but we have all lost.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by subk:
                  Personally I think it's more interesting that the same unusual bit is used on 3 different horses--none of which are particularly using their backs well.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL, i wasn't even going to go there, so thanks for doing for me!

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by subk:
                    I think it's a big mistake to copy a pro on a bit as most of them are much better riders than the rest of us ever will be. A bad riding moment could be a training disaster in the wrong bit, but I'm sure Darren has alot fewer of those moments than I do.

Personally I think it's more interesting that the same unusual bit is used on 3 different horses--none of which are particularly using their backs well.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Those were exactly my thoughts....the typical amateur has much less educated hands than a pro AND those horses don't have a jumping style that I'd like to encourage (though it might be less bit choice inclined than I'd tend to believe)

I was thinking...oh, wait, that wasn't me.
                    I was thinking...oh, wait, that wasn\'t me.

Comment

I bet there is a little sponsorship money going on here for him to put all of his horses in this bit. I have to agree also with the back thing!!!

Comment

Welcome to the BB Raspberry!

I'm not trying to be overly critical of Darren here guys, remember were only seeing a nano second of a minute plus ride here. Granted they're rather important nano seconds. We also don't know what the "issues" with these horse are...this might be a big improvment. I'm a whole lot more tolertant of someone like Darren in this get up than seeing it with your average Joe. My suggestion would be "professional driver on a closed course, do not try this at home."

Comment

Devil's advocate here: It's also a big mistake to assume that because a bit looks "gadgety" and "severe", doesn't mean that it is.

Back when I was riding hunters (boy, that was a loooong time ago!), everybody talked about the "bicycle chain" bit and was aghast that anybody was using it - how severe it was, etc. however, it turns out that the bit in question was a Waterford - not exactly the bicycle chain that people were imagining. Have you looked at a Myler combination bit? They look pretty severe, too - but I tried one on my heavy-on-the-forehand draft cross and he acted like there was nothing in his mouth at all - I got better responses off a fat Happy Mouth eggbutt.

I'm not saying that every novice should run out and buy one. I'm just saying that until you have tried one, you really shouldn't judge the bit - it could work differently than you would expect it to.

Not trying to start anything - just looking at the other side of the coin.

A northern fairy tale begins with "Once upon a time..."
                          A southern fairy tale begins with "Y'all ain't gonna believe this sh*t..."
                          "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

So, the Zen Buddhist says to the hotdog vendor, "Make me one with everything."

Comment

Hmm, point taken eventer_m, although I would say that being "gaget" doesn't automatically mean something is severe. I would say there is no question that this bit is a gaget, whether or not it is severe remains to be seen. (Although I'll be surprised if it isn't--it's set up to use leverage, it has a port and it appears that string would put some preasure somewhere too!)

Comment

• Original Poster

I don't care who uses it (especially Darren!! )- it looks AWFUL! My boys seem to do just fine in a nice old snaffle

Comment

Did anyone look at any of the other photos at that website? Almost all of the horses are jumping the same way - regardless of bit.

Ronda
                                www.risingstarfarm.net

Comment

Yeah I was watching Darren at Stuarts, and kept asking everybody what kind of bit he had on his horses (and he had that type of bit on everyone of his nine horses, cuz i saw all of them go xc). I just happened upon the website for the mikmar bit (which by the way is in fact the bit he has on those horses in the pics and he had on all his horses at Stuarts, i found out from a friend after the event) and they seem to make out on the website like this is some miracle bit that EVERYONE from novice to advanced can use. I would be wery of using it for those reasons, no bit is a miracle bit, and no bit with leverage should be used by a novice, IMO. Darren has great hands (watch him ride xc on one of his novice horses, he give such a huge release ) so more power to him if he thinks these bits are working for his horses.

Comment

Hmm, point taken eventer_m, although I would say that being "gaget" doesn't automatically mean something is severe. I would say there is no question that this bit is a gaget, whether or not it is severe remains to be seen. (Although I'll be surprised if it isn't--it's set up to use leverage, it has a port and it appears that string would put some preasure somewhere too!)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
                                    Good point, subk, however, I offer this up to you to chew on...
                                    Bits are designed to affect certain parts of a horse's mouth, and head - I guess a bit in its "purest" form would be considered a snaffle. I'm sure that when the french link (which hardly anybody would consider a gadget, or severe) first came out, was frowned upon by some, simply because of its deviation from the norm. The way I see it, the combo Mikmar appears to be a bit that acts a heck of a lot like a Myler Combination bit - nose pressure, some jaw/curb pressure, maybe some negligible poll pressure. The regular mikmar just looks like a curb bit to me - and a very western one, at that. When you use a bit with a sidepull, or The Bitless Bridle (breaking out a youngster, for example), you are sort of doing the same thing as a combination bit. One could argue that a Baucher is gadgety, since it not only affects the bars and lips of a horse's mouth, it (as some have said) affects the poll as well. Same thing with a Continental/Pessoa/American/bubble gag/bit.

Plus, a bit's severity depends a lot on the hands that are holding it.

A northern fairy tale begins with "Once upon a time..."
                                    A southern fairy tale begins with "Y'all ain't gonna believe this sh*t..."
                                    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

So, the Zen Buddhist says to the hotdog vendor, "Make me one with everything."

Comment

• Original Poster

"they seem to make out on the website like this is some miracle bit that EVERYONE from novice to advanced can use"

Yeah, and did you look at the before and after pictures?! Totally absurd- look at the rider's position in the two pictures and then tell me that because of the BIT the horse is going better!! Haha- that's quite some advertising they've got there!

Comment

I think the entire horse world is just wee bit too focused on bits these days.

I do not smirk. But if I did, this would be a good opportunity. - Worf
                                        The truth is rarely pure, and never simple. Oscar Wilde

Comment

Working...
                                        X