• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Why or why couldn't this sport be cheaper

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why or why couldn't this sport be cheaper

Just spent $450 on new protective vests for daughters! Both outgrew theirs at the same time.

It is only money I told myself at the checkout.

Try showing hunters.

Comment

Flutie,

hee hee hee

Comment

Either you have a lot of daughters or you spent more money on vests than you really HAD to. But I sympathize with the sport being a money pit! I often feel like I am just asked to fork it all over and who cares what sacrifices that will entail.
        Life doesn't have perfect footing.

Bloggily entertain yourself with our adventures (and disasters):
        We Are Flying Solo

Comment

I feel your pain.

Comment

Originally posted by wildlifer View Post
            I often feel like I am just asked to fork it all over and who cares what sacrifices that will entail.
            I don't mean to sound callous, but eventing (and horses, in general) is a luxury that no one is required to undertake. It is completely optional -- we do it because we love it, and make sacrifices of time and money along the way. Some make more sacrifices than others, but generally speaking, we are all pretty lucky.

"Who" are you referring to in your post that require you to "fork it over" with no regard to your sacrifices? No one is asking anyone to "fork it over" and NO ONE is getting rich.

We ALL sacrifice to some degree, to do what we do (oh, how I wish I were a trust fund baby). For some, that means they can't even own a horse. For others, they may not be able to afford training and showing. Personally, the economy has affected my industry very hard and it has required prioritization and yes, even sacrifices but I still feel exceeding lucky to be a part of this sport, in whatever ways I am able to, at any given time.

Sorry if I sound grumpy, but this type of "woe is me" thread, where the anonymous "they" are making the sport too expensive drives me crazy. Organizers are putting together shows on shoestring budgets with sweat equity and profits (if any) going back into the facilities, courses, and shows. Equipment is equipment -- shop around for the best deal, share equipment, or buy used. Vets, Farriers and trainers are not getting rich off of you. Prioritize, budget, and make the right decisions for you... no one but you is making you do anything.

... Seriously.

Comment

SevenDogs, I think I love you.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Grey_hunter View Post
                Glad somebody does!

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Grey_hunter View Post
                  Big Grey Hunter, I LOVE your sig. SevenDogs, I also love you as well Great post.
                  Somewhere in the world, Jason Miraz is Goodling himself and wondering why "the chronicle of the horse" is a top hit. CaitlinAndTheBay

Comment

SevenDogs is my hero!!!!!!!!!! So well said ......

Comment

hmmm, I kind of thought wildlifer was talking about her children who didn't appreciate where the money came from. In which case, I'd make them aware and thankful or they don't have to compete.
                      http://weanieeventer.blogspot.com/

Comment

No, I don't have any kids, but geez, certainly didn't mean I was blaming anyone. My apologies, please don't take it as anything more than a light internet bemoaning of the fact that the thing that I love to do more than anything sucks the living bejeezus out of my imaginary wisp of a bank account. Yes, it is a choice, we all know that, and people on all ends of the sport work hard to keep doing it. Just because someone occasionally gives vent to some financial frustration does not mean that work is unappreciated. Carry on...
                        Life doesn't have perfect footing.

Bloggily entertain yourself with our adventures (and disasters):
                        We Are Flying Solo

Comment

I agree its the pits how expensive horses are. I am a full time working college student. I am lucky enough to board my horse where I work so I would not be able to afford to compete. I don't really do much else. I hang out with friends but economy style (the matinee is a favorite of mine). It's not a big sacrifice though. I am lucky enough to have something going for me that I love. Many of my college friends have nothing like this going for themselves.

So yeah I fork out a lot of money for it, but I think it keeps me dedicated. And it sorts out the people that really want to have horses and compete, from the ones that don't.

Comment

Why or why couldn't this sport be cheaper?

In answer to the original question, which is, "Why or why couldn't this sport be cheaper?", I'll suggest that in some instances, it can.

If you have kids, there are always used protective vests (and other riding wear) to be found. Hook into the pony club, USEA classifieds, your trainer or even a good 4-H club. It takes effort to be connected and part of an eventing community. You can either invest that effort, or you can pay full price retail. If you can afford it, great. If not and you mention it, you are likely to get the response you got from some people here.

Whenever I post an outgrown vest even just on my site it is gone in a day. I have bought or sold them for 50-100 bucks for my clients. There are lots of ways to make this sport less expensive if you are creative and connected to people.

The latest and greatest and color-coordinated and newest costs big money. The serviceable and proven and storied equipment can usually be had for much less and perform just as well. It just takes kicking the ego to the curb.
                            http://www.camstock.net/

Comment

You better care, 7dogs, about how much this sport costs. Because as long as it's pricey, it gets marginalized. And then there will be a more and more narrow future for it. So, the OP has a real point!!

It may be a luxury to you, but then again, you can say just about ANYTHING we participate in is! Believe me, most people don't kill themselves at the job, run home and sit dead still in their house until the next morning to go do their paying job again. They actually DO something with their lives -- and that 'do' is your so-called luxury, an activity beyond food/shelter/clothing/health.

Sorry to be testy with your post, but that some activities are made cheap through my taxes, while others are marginalized annoys me. A lot. A lot of sports/municipal offerings are underwritten by my taxes, and I don't like it. I don't want to pay for many of the things me and mine don't participate in -- as no one underwrites MY choices -- esp. for sports no one plays past the age of 22, like soccer. Horses are a lifelong sport, you learn to care for another, and you are out in Nature (not artificial turf). I don't want to pay for anyone's kid playing soccer. It's a baby-sitter sport for parents who don't want to be parents.

IOW, horse sports, as long as they have an image of expensive, and the middle-class continues to reach for the cheap programs, will never be mainstream. And so costs will never reduce. If you want your costs to be normalized, then you have to allow for VOLUME (lots of participants). As long as they aren't mainstream, they will get shrunken by the influx of 'cheap' sports, and costs -- as the OP is trying to point out -- will go up, receive no media coverage, and the cycle continues.

So, the OP has a deeper point here if you bothered to listen for it. Also, I agree, she is allowed to vent. That's all it really was

Comment

Originally posted by KatherineC View Post
                                Just spent $450 on new protective vests for daughters! Both outgrew theirs at the same time.

It is only money I told myself at the checkout.
                                I spent $300 last year on the only vest that fit the kid (out of 4 brands & 7 styles available at local shops) - even then, had to have another size special-ordered in from the company (who were lovely to deal with & correct in their insistence that the smaller size was The One); the upside is that it's worn almost every ride so when considered on a cost per use basis, it's a stealofadeal

Comment

This is a very good question.
                                  Seven Dogs you are very wrong and only right in one point, horses are a luxury in 99% of all cases.
                                  The cost of the sport has increased many folds above standard inflation and I have not seen a single atemped to rein this hyper inflation in.
                                  Oposit, most new rules have increased the cost. Than the exspectations concerning shows have sky rocket, from jump design, safety devices, footing, stabling hosting, decoration etc.
                                  Welcome to the hunter world of eventing.
                                  That I have no use for them, does not mean, that I don't know them and don't know how to use them.
                                  Caveman extraordinair

Comment

You are more than welcome to disagree with me, but I stand behind my post 100%.

I notice Cyberbay offered absolutely no suggestions on where he/she thinks costs can be reduce, unless he/she is advocating tax supported equestrian sports (which I hope is not the case, but it was hard to tell in all the ranting).

Gnep, I will agree that some rule changes have raised the costs of competing, but, I don't think they should be repealed (e.g. mandatory vests, licenses course designers, etc) as a way to save money. What rules would you repeal, in order to reduce costs?

I hear complaining, but not real constructive solutions proposed....

Comment

Originally posted by SevenDogs View Post
                                      I don't mean to sound callous, but eventing (and horses, in general) is a luxury that no one is required to undertake. It is completely optional -- we do it because we love it, and make sacrifices of time and money along the way. Some make more sacrifices than others, but generally speaking, we are all pretty lucky.

We ALL sacrifice to some degree, to do what we do (oh, how I wish I were a trust fund baby). For some, that means they can't even own a horse. For others, they may not be able to afford training and showing. Personally, the economy has affected my industry very hard and it has required prioritization and yes, even sacrifices but I still feel exceeding lucky to be a part of this sport, in whatever ways I am able to, at any given time.

^^^ That last part, especially!!

I have been hit very hard by the economy and loss of my (very well-paying) job. I still have my horse and I work very hard to keep him, which means this year, fewer lessons and less competition than in previous years. I am happy I have managed to hang onto my horse... a look at the horses at Camelot and New Holland shows not every one is as lucky as I am.

just my .02....

Comment

Than the exspectations concerning shows have sky rocket, from jump design, safety devices, footing, stabling hosting,
                                        Hmm, I'm not really sure I'd care to chuck any improvements or focus on good footing, safety, and safe stabling to go back to some nebulous "good old days". The old saying "quality doesn't cost, it pays" is relevant. Vet bills from crappy footing, bad stabling, and unsafe jumps are a whole lot more painful to pay than entry fees. At least with entry fees you get a happy little buzz when you drop the envelope in the mailbox!

There's nothing that says we all have to compete with the newest, coolest, and fanciest equipment. With some exceptions, a lot of stuff can be gotten used and a lot of the STUFF eventers use is really kind of superfluous: three bridles, two saddles, four saddle pads, two helmets, two jackets, horse clothing galore . . . it adds up, and much of it is not strictly necessary.

I will say that I think the "replace your helmet every five years" shtick is a bit of a racket. SOUNDS plausible, but I've never seen one SHRED of evidence showing me WHY this needs to be done. But if I mention this to people, and the fact that I use a *GASP* seven year old helmet for dressage and SJ, I get the hairy eyeball: "aren't you always going on about helmets?"

Totally OK to vent, but sometimes we do need a realignment of what are NEEDS and what are WANTS in life. Since almost none of us can have it all, we make choices. Whether it's free time, money, job happiness, geography . . . everyone compromises somehow, somewhere if they have a passion, be it expensive or not.
                                        Click here before you buy.

Comment

Working...
                                        X