• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

REVISITING THIS (cuz of DC): What if it can't be done the way folks are doing it now?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• REVISITING THIS (cuz of DC): What if it can't be done the way folks are doing it now?

Is it the courses or the horses (and riders)?

I think we have to admit that the way a significant number of people prepare horses for eventing today is vastly different than how it was done twenty years ago, right? Some things about prep have improved dramatically, but some things are far worse--and some that are worse are also more numerous.
    • competing without consistent coaching
    • spending less time at home and more on the road
    • shipping horses more often and across greater distances
    • "investing" more heavily into horseflesh and competition
    • more people with less access to good ground for conditioning
    • competing more horses at a single event
    • competing one horse more often
    • more riders competing more often, including every weekend
    • more riders specializing in the sport instead of gaining a wider range of
      skills from exploring other types of riding experiences
    • more coaches with more students but less time to coach them
    • more trainers coaching students in spite of having comparatively little
      experience themselves
    • better protocols to shore up hurting horses
    • more pressure to add value to horses by competing them
    • less access to courses for schooling purposes
    • more people competing in regions where there are far fewer events
      to gain experience in
    • better horses such that x-c questions of yesterday are just too easy
      for the horseflesh of today
    • a more and more "awkward" ratio of four-legged to two-legged talent
      (i.e. horses with more ability than their riders)
    • more entries in higher level competitions
    • a wider range of experience and skill levels in higher level competition
    All of these things, and more, IMO, need to be considered. I think it is a big mistake to focus exclusively on the courses. I realize some courses pose questions that simply cannot be answered safely. That's ONE thing. But what about these OTHER things? Should courses be "dumbed down" because more and more people just can't keep up with the times? Dangerous CD trends should certainly be reduced, but maybe the difficulty levels of courses--including technical, twisty, etc. aspects--retained to encourage riders either to do their homework more and better and/or don't attempt what they can't really prepare well for?
    Last edited by pwynnnorman; Aug. 8, 2008, 01:37 PM. Reason: Update
    Sportponies Unlimited
    Athletic Thoroughbred crosses for the highly motivated, smaller rider.

pwynn -

what population is your post aiming at? ammies moving up the levels or pros (doing all the levels)?

If I'm not mistaken, it's the latter, who have access to the best footing, coaching, and schooling facilities, as well as years of experience riding at the highest levels, that are GETTING HURT and whose horses are getting hurt and dying.

I also emphatically disagree with this:

If it were possible to "improve" "horseflesh", then horses would be galloping faster at the track, jumping higher in the GP and performing new movements in the GP dressage. None of these 3 things is happening, and these are the 3 things that comprise eventing. How, therefore, is it possible that modern day sporthorse breeding has come up with a new stamp that finds "old-time" xc too "easy." If anything, I might argue that the modern show horse/event horse breeding is proving its failures esp on "modern" courses.

Comment

I agree with all of this.

You picked up on two big things with me...people not getting enough QUALITY instruction (and I'm not talking about needing more ICP instructors, as I know quite a few scary ICP instructors out there, and know some very good instructors that aren't certified) and running our horses into the ground. I am all about modern medicine, but I am not all about the h/j mentality that eventing has taken, with an endless show circuit and horses spending far too much time on the road and not getting quality time at home to allow for physical and mental rest. I do think our courses have taken on some overly technical aspects, but I also think the go-go-go mentality makes the job in and of itself more difficult.
      Amanda

Comment

• Original Poster

As to the population, I'm just generalizing. Most of the riders out there aren't pros, so generalization is more applicable here to non-pros (although some of the things I listed are related to the pros).

Originally posted by flyingchange View Post
        If it were possible to "improve" "horseflesh", then horses would be galloping faster at the track, jumping higher in the GP and performing new movements in the GP dressage.
        But aren't they? More flying changes, counter changes of hand, etc.

And perhaps an even BETTER example: Have you seen those "three huge tables on a bending line" questions at the four-star events? Can you imagine that physical challenge being presented twenty years ago to the horse flesh eventing back then? And why are such daunting dimensions being incorporated in courses today? Indeed, what do you think was the reason they increased the height of stadium jumps to 4'3"? Because there are horses which can indeed handle them, with ease. I suppose one could say/speculate that such things weren't in courses in the past because they weren't needed to separate the wheat from the chaff.

But they are today because even the chaff has enormous physical ability. I'm a TB person all the way, but when you see the likes of some WB crosses TROT into the third table and clear it, you gotta be awed by what is being bred out there.
        Sportponies Unlimited

Comment

I want to know how you know, YB, that so many people do not get regular instruction. Do you go up to them and ask them at HTs? I don't have my horses at a trainer's barn, and I do a lot of work on my own, but I do get regular instruction.

As far as 'scarey' ICP-certified instructors. At least they are doing something to improve their technique. I think it is really sad that there is so much judgement displayed here - do you really sit there at shows and critique coaches while they warm up their students? I can't imagine having the time or interest.

Comment

Originally posted by pwynnnorman View Post
            Is it the courses or the horses (and riders)?

I think we have to admit that the way a significant number of people prepare horses for eventing today is vastly different than how it was done twenty years ago, right? Some things about prep have improved dramatically, but some things are far worse--and some that are worse are also more numerous.
            • competing without consistent coaching
            • spending less time at home and more on the road
            • shipping horses more often and across greater distances
            • "investing" more heavily into horseflesh and competition
            • more people with less access to good ground for conditioning
            • competing more horses at a single event
            • competing one horse more often
            • more riders competing more often, including every weekend
            • more riders specializing in the sport instead of gaining a wider range of
              skills from exploring other types of riding experiences
            • more coaches with more students but less time to coach them
            • more trainers coaching students in spite of having comparatively little
              experience themselves
            • better protocols to shore up hurting horses
            • more pressure to add value to horses by competing them
            • less access to courses for schooling purposes
            • more people competing in regions where there are far fewer events
              to gain experience in
            • a more and more "awkward" ratio of four-legged to two-legged talent
              (i.e. horses with more ability than their riders)
            • more entries in higher level competitions
            • a wider range of experience and skill levels in higher level competition
            All of these things, and more, IMO, need to be considered. I think it is a big mistake to focus exclusively on the courses. I realize some courses pose questions that simply cannot be answered safely. That's ONE thing. But what about these OTHER things? Should courses be "dumbed down" because more and more people just can't keep up with the times? Dangerous CD trends should certainly be reduced, but maybe the difficulty levels of courses--including technical, twisty, etc. aspects--retained to encourage riders either to do their homework more and better and/or don't attempt what they can't really prepare well for?
            thanks for beginning this list - I was trying to reread 3 threads and bullet the ideas myself. After I'm through (at least for today), I'm going to look at the list and try to see where the ideas can be grouped - obviously there will be grouops that will duplicate.

The goals for producing an upper level horse have changed and I suspect that this is largely connected to what has ensued in course design. When the goals - implicit or explicit - were to produce an advanced horse that could move into the 3*** and 4**** events, the measures of that horse defined the training and the tests. An animal that could handle 2 Roads and Tracks, a steeplechase, AND XC was brought along differently than the horse of today. The mentality of current course design has perhaps evolved out of the all-too-true reality that without Roads and Tracks, without Steeplechase. the old galloping course fences were making it look and feel "too easy"...so, where can you go if you're a CD but to the situation that Red Hills presented last weekend.
            ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan

Comment

Ultimately, it is the responsability(sp) of the rider to manage/decide what is best for the horses we (they) ride.Eventing is a dangerous endeavor,accidents will happen.Blaming the course designer,coach,jump etc.. is innapropriate for adults out there eventing at any level.We all walk the courses before we ride ,wether at elem. or adv. level. We decide to ride,our horses take us over the jumps as best they can.
              I'm sorry for the horse and rider injuries that have occured,I wish they hadn't.But we have to police ourselves out there.Eventing is a risky sport,people who are underprepared,at any level,can only blame themselves when dissaster strikes.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by flyingchange View Post
                As far as 'scarey' ICP-certified instructors. At least they are doing something to improve their technique. I think it is really sad that there is so much judgement displayed here - do you really sit there at shows and critique coaches while they warm up their students? I can't imagine having the time or interest.
                Oh, but I do. Sorry, I'm a true fanatic and I do indeed watch and listen in the warm ups--at events and also at h-j shows. I can't afford lessons but I have to develop my horses and also be the groundperson for the riders I use. You can learn a LOT from watching and listening. It's worth taking the time to do--and it's QUITE interesting, too!
                Sportponies Unlimited

Comment

Originally posted by RunForIt View Post
                  ....An animal that could handle 2 Roads and Tracks, a steeplechase, AND XC was brought along differently than the horse of today. The mentality of current course design has perhaps evolved out of the all-too-true reality that without Roads and Tracks, without Steeplechase. the old galloping course fences were making it look "too easy"......
                  Amen.
                  "Oh, sure, you may be able to take down one smurf, but mark my words: You bonk one smurf, you better be ready for a blue wave."---Bucky Katt

Comment

Originally posted by herptile View Post
                    Ultimately, it is the responsability(sp) of the rider to manage/decide what is best for the horses we (they) ride.Eventing is a dangerous endeavor,accidents will happen.Blaming the course designer,coach,jump etc.. is innapropriate for adults out there eventing at any level.We all walk the courses before we ride ,wether at elem. or adv. level. We decide to ride,our horses take us over the jumps as best they can.
                    I'm sorry for the horse and rider injuries that have occured,I wish they hadn't.But we have to police ourselves out there.Eventing is a risky sport,people who are underprepared,at any level,can only blame themselves when dissaster strikes.
                    Darren wasn't underprepared. the ULRs at RH that went slowly and incurred big time faults weren't underprepared. the ULRs that were eliminated or retired or withdrew weren't underprepared.

How many of us know what to look for in course design to evaluate how a fence may ride in terms of safety for our horses and selves? You can bet I'm going to learn.
                    ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan

Comment

pwynn, I'm with you here. This is not just about the CD or the CDer. It just isn't that simple especially when you factor in two warm bodies, both thinking and reacting..or not.

There is always the knee jerk factor and we are seeing it here. I'm not saying that CD doesn't deserve some "looking at", but there are many more things happening than just that.

Are more horses getting into, or staying in the sport, because it is easier on them? By that I mean that without the stresses of prepping for the long format of old. Are horses staying in the sport who would have washed out sooner, be it for soundness, or mental, or skill issues?

Are more riders advancing to higher levels and/or staying at that higher level than would have if they had to do the hours and hours of conditioning required for the LF? I'm thinking of both the saddle time factor and the rider fittness level. Can someone who rides one horse, 4 or 5 times a week for 45 minutes a ride be physically prepared to ride at prelim and up?

Are riders just not putting in the ring time to develope the skills needed to be successful on these more technical courses? Do they practice riding skinnies, bounces and corners in the ring, or do they just go out to a xc course and hope for the best?

Are they choosing to compete the fancier moving, better jumping horses? Should they be choosing the smaller, quicker thinking, cattier horses?

Have the percentages of upper level horses and riders increased or decreased since the LF went away?

Lots of things seem to be happening here besides just CD.

Comment

I agree with a lot of what you have, and I think you can also add in:

Safety equipment such specifically designed helmets, better flak jackets, additional safety equipment?

Governance. Are the governing bodies actually doing their job? There are plenty of instances where injured or killed riders falsified their records. With better data keeping and easy access, organizers could easily verify qualifications.

The failures today go beyond simple course and rider answers.

Reed

Comment

Originally posted by tuppysmom View Post
                          Are more horses getting into, or staying in the sport, because it is easier on them? By that I mean that without the stresses of prepping for the long format of old. Are horses staying in the sport who would have washed out sooner, be it for soundness, or mental, or skill issues?

Are more riders advancing to higher levels and/or staying at that higher level than would have if they had to do the hours and hours of conditioning required for the LF?
                          I'd be interested to hear how the proponents of the short-format, who insist that horses are conditioned just as much, would treat the above questions.
                          Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Comment

I think that I really, really want an Exo,(sp), vest for my kid. I wonder why they are not more common over here?

Comment

• Original Poster

I'm a proponent of the short format, Blugal. FRankly and bluntly, I don't really care how it has had an impact. It's here to stay, it's better for the sport in some ways, worse in others, but folks just are going to have to adjust. You can't blame the format for those who just aren't adjusting to it, as Tuppysmom implied.

Can someone who rides one horse, 4 or 5 times a week for 45 minutes a ride be physically prepared to ride at prelim and up?
                              I wonder about another side of this a lot. How can someone really KNOW a horse if they aren't riding it that much because they are so busy on the road? I saw some really funky movers (in the hind end) in the jog on Sunday at Red Hills. I wonder how that funky movement feels under saddle. If you haven't had that horse for years and years, and then on top of that, you've only ridden it a couple of times each week, and usually doing dressage and some gymnastics or a few isolated jumps (leaving the conditioning to others), how prepared are you to assess what you are feeling in that already funky hind end when you leave the starting box, much less when you are approaching Jump #20?
                              Sportponies Unlimited

Comment

I'll ask you the same question: how do you know how many times these horses are being ridden, and for how long? How many horses/riders are we talking here? Pros or ammies?
                                Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Comment

I don't think that horses today are "better" than horses of yesteryear. I think there are more horses who have better training, but the physical animal is about the same.

They have studied racehorses and tried to determine was Secretariate "better" than Man O' War, and since Secretariat, has any one been as good. Today's horses may sometimes reach faster speeds, but some of that is improved track surfaces. Were those 2 freaks of nature? Probably, but we haven't managed to consistently breed them.

Horses jumped 8' single fences in the 20s during high-jump competitions. They don't jump 15 feet today. They still top out at 8' or so.

They don't run at 55mph, and no, the GP dressage tests do not ask for harder movements. The Eventing dressage tests at Advanced HAVE gotten harder. But straight dressage and straight show jumping have not gotten bigger and harder.

If anything there is more and better instruction out there, and far more upper level riders than there were 30 years ago.

I do agree with some of your points, but I also believe that we may be stepping into the territory where the courses are too hard for more horses.

Comment

• Original Poster

Tuppysmom was talking about ammies. I responded with a question about pros. And all you have to do is add up the hours in the day, examine the number of entries per rider, and look at the competition schedule, to get a solid suspicion that, unless they bring their entire barn on the road with them to each even so they can continue to ride each horse...they aren't riding them as much as they used to (the pros). That is a huge change, I suspect. There are so many more events for them to compete in that many are on the road constantly.

Oh, and, while I do know from personal experience, I also know another way: Try to schedule a lesson with a busy pro. I have heard of far more than one with whom it is really hard to connect (to schedule a lesson) because they are on the road so much.

It'd be interesting, in form of confirmation, to look at the results lists of, say, Area III events this season and see whose barns were at each one and whose barns weren't. (Man, am I going to get into trouble if I don't shut up! )

I don't think that horses today are "better" than horses of yesteryear. I think there are more horses who have better training, but the physical animal is about the same.
                                    Them's fightin' words spake to a breeder, ma'am.

At the very least, a lot of Germans would probably like to lynch you for it.

I do agree with some of your points, but I also believe that we may be stepping into the territory where the courses are too hard for more horses.
                                    I'd just change that to: "...I also believe that we may be stepping into the territory where the courses are too hard for more RIDERS." (Emphasis on "more" as much as on "riders".)
                                    Sportponies Unlimited

Comment

All of these things, and more, IMO, need to be considered. I think it is a big mistake to focus exclusively on the courses

I agree with Pwyn's list. These are things that all eventers need to be concerned about, and have ultimate control over. What we as eventers don't have control over is the CD. When I go to an event I trust that the CD and the POGJ know a heck a lot more than me and I go out there and do my best. What if I both my horse and myself are super fit, prepared, trained etc but the questions are unfair? I have not seen this at the lower levels but when someone like DC is "caught" by a tricky complex (need confirmation but I believe the jump had 3 cannon balls as a ground line for the third element in a 3 element, upright complex) I have to wonder about the impact of unfair CD. As I said in another thread.....Should horses and riders be “running the Derby” between complexes, could that be safe? How many riders made the time at RH? If you are a prelim rider, are you not going to trust that CMP would know more than you about times and that if the optimum time posted is “X” than a well conditioned, competitive, well trained, seasoned pair should be able to make the time?

I "long" for the long format but I understand that we may not be able to put the genie back in the bottle. What I do believe is that we need to make the short format smarter. The mpm for the level needs to reexamined to allow for the complexes, do we want tricky ground lines, how many technical complexes is fair per course, etc etc.
                                      Susan
                                      http://community.webshots.com/user/ss3777
                                      www.longformatclub.com

Comment

I know for a fact that the horses are NOT conditioned the way they used to be for the classic long format. I have witnessed with my own eyes the changes. I think the ULR's BELIEVE that the horses are just as fit, but it is a different fitness. They replace more of their gallops with XC runs at competitions because the seasons are longer. There used to be a distinct Spring and Fall run-up to the 3-days, and then the horses were given a specific let down period. That just doesn't happen anymore, or at least not in the same way for all the horses.

The speeds needed between the jumps on XC are way higher than we used to have for xc, it is more like steeplechase between the combinations. Reading what Kent Allen wrote about EIPH really has me scared that the very high sprints are a factor in these horse deaths.
                                        \"I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with someone who is unarmed.\"--Pogo

Comment

Working...
                                        X