• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

editorial comment, equestrians, and china

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• editorial comment, equestrians, and china

http://www.eurodressage.com/editor/e..._20080321.html

I know there was a thread a while back about participation in the Olympics and human rights issues...

In light of the recent protests and as the games draw ever nearer, I was interested to know how people feel about this issue, have your feelings changed the closer we get.

I am passionate about human rights issues, so it is difficult for me to hold my tongue and I can get quite frisky about this issue. Whilst I realize that the Olympics and sport should transend politics, but are we hiding behind this a bit too much in order to justify participation. I personally feel this is not about politics but the well being of our fellow man.

Would you accept a place on the team in this year's games? I have attended most major championships since 1976 and I can definately say that I will NOT attend these games because of my personal beliefs. Most people have one shot at making an Olympics so what would YOU comprimise.....your principles for glory, or glory for principle.

Snoopy- When I was younger (early teens) I dreamed of making the team like many young people. Now that I'm in my 40's and hopefully would have a better understanding of the world as it is, I don't see making the Olympic team as the 'end-all-be-all' anymore.
    There are so many other 4-stars of the Olympic calibre, not to mention the World Games that I think going to a county that treats it's people in a sickening manner, it's animals by killing scores of cats and dogs - not to mention the black market where primates are butchered, a nuclear threat to neighboring countries, combined with the terrible heat and the stress put on the animals to travel there . . . if it were me, I wouldn't go. I would set my sites elsewhere. I think if people could educated themselves about Communist China, they'd have 2nd thoughts too.
    www.littlekentuckyfarm.com
    Thoroughbred Training and Sales

Comment

Such high mindedness- such principles !!

Have either of you ever been within forty pages of a short list ? *snort*
      U.S. Olympic Waterboarding Team- Beijing 08

Comment

• Original Poster

I can see how it would be a far easier decision if one where going as a spectator, but if you were truly in the position to earn a spot as a competitor, if the stars lined up, you had the horse and this was your one real shot, how many of us would be able to make this choice.

We have all witnessed the telly adverts of suffering both human and animal, do we change the channel, cover our eyes, etc? If your very livelyhood is sport would you cover your eyes and ears in order to add "olympic athlete" to your CV?

Would you adopt a "what can my stand do to help" attitide or perhaps adopt the attitue of that of the french rider?

I personally have never had a burning desire to make an olympic team...from the beginning I knew what was involved, the odds, politics, etc so the choice would be easier for me. I know many, from many different counties, who feel the way I do with regards to the issue but are still chasing that spot on the team. This is their personal decision of course and it is not my place to question them, but I cannot help but wonder about compassion, prinicple, fairness and where that fits in with sport at the highest level. I mean isn't that what true sport is about?

Doing what is right (for me anyway) is a better legacy than a trip to HK/China.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Samrdr1 View Post
          Such high mindedness- such principles !!

Have either of you ever been within forty pages of a short list ? *snort*

I could rise to the bait... But I will not, though I will say your signature really says it all.

I am NOT judging anyone for their personal stance on the issue, if indeed it even is an issue for some. I am just interested in people's thoughts.
          Last edited by snoopy; Mar. 22, 2008, 08:09 AM.

Comment

I have been following all of these threads avidly, though not participating because I'm not an eventer, and do not have enough knowledge of the sport to make an educated decision. This question, however, is one I can answer, for myself.

My answer is, it would have depended. If the question had come up when I was younger, I might very well have gone. Ambition and pride can push a person into a decision that they might not have made at another time, especially when one is at the beginning of life's journey. To me, at that time, an Olympic medal would have been the height of success, and worth taking a risk or compromising my principles to get it.

At my age now, I would say no. I see a medal much differently, as just a piece of metal, that, in the context of your entire life, really doesn't have much value. My primary concern would be for my partner, the horse, who cannot speak for himself. I would not want to put that creature through the stress and strain that the extended travel, and the pollution, would cause him.That would be the prime reason I wouldn't go. Though I abhor some of the things that China has done, I really don't believe that even an athlete's boycott would make any difference in what they do and how they do it.
            If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor.
            Desmond Tutu

Comment

In about 1967 the World Boy Scout Jamboree was held in our state. The eq. drill team that I was a member of had the good fortune to be part of the entertainment for the boys. We girls were invited to a BBQ afterwards. One thing that I remember very well was eating and laughing and having a great time with kids who would NEVER have had that experience if politics had decided who did or did not attend. Irish kids, Catholic and non Catholics, talking and learning that each had something to say.

In 1983 my family had 2 exchange students. One from Madrid and one from Basque Country. They both stated many times how special it was for them to have met. It would never have happened in Spain. They would have been at war with each other at home, in fact their brothers were at war with each other.

Maybe whenever one has a chance to interact with people who you would otherwise never speak to, well, change happens slowly, one step, one person, at a time.

The Olympics should not be about politics.

Comment

• Original Poster

GREAT post...very thought provoking.

Comment

Well said Tuppysmom,

But the Olympics are a show case for a country and the Olympics have high and lovty goals in their agenda, one of it is peace.
                  It is Hard to see how one can justify to stand on the steps or walk into the stadium at opening day in a country that wages a war against its own people.
                  In a country that is willing to ruin its self economicaly and because of that will bring rather great suffering to its people, just to produce the inviromental conditions to hold the Olympics.
                  The outlying province around of Beijing, will have to produce the clean water, the clean food, will have to shut down its factories, millions of vehicles will be banned, not just for the duration, but far in advance, month in advance. The athlets will have the best, the very best, maybe even the clean air, while the people of that country will have to make rather unusual sacrifice dictated from the top.
                  I can not see how the athlets can justify to march into that stadium, its Berlin Games all over.
                  That I have no use for them, does not mean, that I don't know them and don't know how to use them.
                  Caveman extraordinair

Comment

Personally, I am still blinking hard at the choice of venue in the first place.

I have always felt that the Olympics should transcend the current international madness and is not the place for political statement.

I was interested to listen to a program on NPR a few weeks ago discussing this very issue. Previous Olympic athletes who did make a political statement, generally at the medal ceremony, as well as many other Olympic athletes were interviewed and, to my surprise, they were overwhemingly in favor of anyone who had the guts to do this.
                    They also explained in detail the reprecussions of such acts, discussed whether or not they personally would take that step, but still applauded those who had.
                    Nina's Story
                    Epona Comm on FB

Comment

seems like a great place NOT

China Vows to Crush Tibet's Independence Movement
                      By VOA News
                      22 March 2008

China's Communist Party newspaper is calling on the government to "resolutely crush" Tibet's independence movement.

Dalai Lama gestures as he speaks to the media in Dharmsala, India, 18 Mar 2008
                      A commentary in the "People's Daily" Saturday accuses the Dalai Lama of plotting recent anti-government protests in Tibet in hopes of undermining the upcoming Beijing Olympics and splitting Tibet from China.

The Dalai Lama has denied calling for protests.

Reports from China say Beijing has sent elite units of the People's Liberation Army into Tibet to crack down on the protests.

Witnesses in the Tibetan capital said armored troop carriers and other military vehicles in use there had their identifying numbers and insignia concealed.

In Lhasa Saturday, Chinese authorities raised the official toll from the past week's riots to 19 dead, including 18 civilians and a policeman. Tibetan exile groups say at least 80 people were killed in Lhasa, and that clashes in other Chinese provinces claimed nearly 20 lives.

The official Xinhua news agency has said police firing in self-defense during a riot wounded four people in a Tibetan area of Sichuan province earlier this week. However, human-rights groups have released photographs showing what appear to be corpses with bullet wounds. They allege that police killed 15 people during the clash in Sichuan.

China has expelled all foreign journalists from Tibet and tried to prevent others from reaching neighboring provinces. Before they were forced to leave, journalists were able to report on a buildup of thousands of troops, along with blockades and checkpoints across a wide swath of western China.

Some information for this report was provided by A
                      Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
                      Confucius

Comment

The other dimension I keep coming back to is, what is right for the HORSES? I know how the conditions at the last few Olympics have been very hard on the animals. I know how some of them have colicked, some died, some have been compromised in other ways. Travel is VERY stressful for the horses.

My daughter had a lovely 18 year old Young Rider dressage horse. This year the Nat. Champ. is in Cal. and the NAYRC is in Col. We would NOT ship her horse (a good shipper) across the country for one show. Not worth the risk. We just sold him. Broke my heart, her last YR year, but it was the right thing for the horse.
                        \"I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with someone who is unarmed.\"--Pogo

Comment

Originally posted by tuppysmom View Post
                          The Olympics should not be about politics.
                          For China, these Olympics are ONLY about politics.

We have a friend who is an Olympic historian. He's been a commentator at 14 Olympics, knows the Games and their organizational foibles through and through. He's made some visits to Beijing to watch the preparations and is really torn about attending the events themselves. He's leaning toward not going, and it's not about the sports, it's about the politics, censorship and duplicity of the government.

This same friend also publishes an annual list of the world's worst dictatorships. He finds his interests converging in Beijing this summer.

About 15 years ago, I went to China with a group that was involved in helping China get the Olympics. This first bid, which was not successful, involved a lot of flashy PR people hired to make the case that China's HR record wasn't really so bad even though we all knew it was. Everyone involved knew the real score, the idea was to try to convince the IOC that the Chinese government didn't really do the things it does.

I was very pleased to see Steven Spielberg withdraw from his role in the opening ceremony. I hope others will do the same.

But would I go as an athlete? I can't answer that question. I think a sport like eventing is different because the Olympics are not the end-all and be-all of your career.

I can say with certainty that I wouldn't let my horse go to Hong Kong. Too far, too polluted, too many risks I'd never forgive myself for. Why not go to Burghley instead?

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy View Post
                            I could rise to the bait... But I will not, though I will say your signature really says it all.

I am NOT judging anyone for their personal stance on the issue, if indeed it even is an issue for some. I am just interested in people's thoughts.
                            I can whole heartedly assure you that Samrdr's signature in wholly sarcastic.

And yes, he can be a little stinker, but his question is valid.
                            It is far easier to have convictions when you do not have quite so much to lose.

I personally am of two minds about whether our athletes should compete in Bejing. Pulling out of competition does make a statement, but so does competing, winning and proving that other countries' athletes are superior to those of the host country (boy that was hard to say in a politically acceptable sort of way!)

The state department has issued a statement that persons traveling to Bejing
                            "should be aware that they have no reasonable expectation of privacy in public or private locations. All hotel rooms and offices are considered to be subject to on-site or remote technical monitoring at all times." Anyone wonder where they are going to put the 'monitoring devices' in the stable areas?!?

Comment

Originally posted by Gnep View Post
                              In a country that is willing to ruin its self economicaly and because of that will bring rather great suffering to its people, just to produce the inviromental conditions to hold the Olympics.
                              The outlying province around of Beijing, will have to produce the clean water, the clean food, will have to shut down its factories, millions of vehicles will be banned, not just for the duration, but far in advance, month in advance. The athlets will have the best, the very best, maybe even the clean air, while the people of that country will have to make rather unusual sacrifice dictated from the top.
                              And this is different from PRC history from the mid '50s on ... how exactly? The CCP starved THIRTY MILLION people to death in the great famine caused by asinine POLICIES that could've been reversed but WEREN'T. Ruining itself economically? What planet do YOU live on? It's going to take more than a few months to 'ruin' the country - Mao didn't manage, I certainly don't think the IOC is going to manage, or a few months of special policies for the Olympics. Does the Cultural Revolution ring a bell? Yeah. They managed to bounce back pretty damn well from that.

NOTHING going on in China is new. Not one damn thing. Olympic fever has been going on since the turn of the century (I highly recommend Andrew Morris, 'Marrow of the Nation' if you'd like to get clued in to the fact that this is wrapped up in a whole lot more than CCP pride), arguments and violent crackdowns have been going on in the far-flung provinces (and that includes MORE than Tibet, people - I realize Brad Pitt has never thrown his weight behind a 'Free Xinjiang' campaign, but come on) since the turn of the century, Chinese scientists were recognizing as early as '55 (a scant 6 years after the CCP assumed control of the Mainland) that government policies were setting up for an environmental DISASTER of grave proportions, and go back to the campaigns of the '50s and we see ... *gasp* ... the Chinese government being horrible to its own people. In worse ways, I daresay, than some of the high profile recent events.

The only thing that's changed is that instead of shunning the PRC, foreign governments are cheerfully ketouing to it. Well, gee, who do we have to thank for that? You think the PRC just magically bullied its way to diplomatic recognition? Who stood down on the UN Security Council to allow that to happen? Oh, right. The United States. Quite charmingly stabbed the ROC in the back, and will happily sell them down the river for cheap goods from Wal-Mart and the lure of the potential Chinese market. Western governments are complicit in ALL of this. Beijing gets a hand slap for the most egregious of issues, and that will continue to happen. Just look at some of the political shucking and jiving that surrounds Taiwan issues. Who parrots back the 'One China, Two Systems' rhetoric? My, some defenders of freedom we are. The United States government ought to be ashamed of itself.

You think some horseback riders pulling out of an event that's being held in Hong Kong is going to make some sort of 'statement' in the face of what governments do? Get real.

Comment

Yes, China has grave human rights issues, and I respect those expressing and following their beliefs. I would however urge everyone before getting too "holier than thou" about it to examine our own actions vis a vis human rights.
                                Two words - water boarding.

Flutie

Comment

Well, I have never been within 30 pages of a short list so probably have no right to speak to this subject. According to Samrdr1 anyhow.
                                  My primary reasons for not taking my horse to the Olympics this time are that the pollution would probably do irreversible damage to him, if the traveling hadn't killed him getting there. Combine that with the human rights issues and I'd have to say "Thanks. I am truly honored, but I won't go."
                                  Badminton has always been my dreamy goal anyhow. Never dreamed of Olympic competition.
                                  Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Comment

Nope. Never will need to make that call. But no way would I take a horse to Hong Kong or mainland China. And for that matter, I would not compete in Charlotte North Carolina close to the city on a hot, humid, August afternoon.

And truly- what Flutie said. I'm sure the Chinese people are wonderful, but their government is shameful. Much like ours. I hope the people of China can benefit economically from the games.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by flutie1 View Post
                                      Yes, China has grave human rights issues, and I respect those expressing and following their beliefs. I would however urge everyone before getting too "holier than thou" about it to examine our own actions vis a vis human rights.
                                      Two words - water boarding.

Flutie

"Holier than thou"....hmmm

Is it holier than thou to only eat free range eggs? Sure eating an egg is eating an egg...but the CONDITIONS in which that egg is produced is certainly different and more humane than the battery chicken eggs.

What I will freely admit is that I do not know what CONDITIONS are in effet for producing the games...and ultimately what benefit the chinese people will get from the games themselves. So by spectating or participating are we only funding a government system that is not to the liking of the international community and the chinese people themselves. Are we funding a PR exercise at the expense of the people and in the name of sport?

And what of the health factor...we as humans have a choice what to subject ourselves to, but our horses do not have this voice. And I think it is fair to say, that the horses will be subjected to far greater health risks through far greater physical strain than that of the riders.

Now, please, I am NOT preaching...not in the least. I would just like to reiterate that I am trying to get the view points of all who wish to contibute, without judgement. Basically for me, I am looking to be enlightened by different view points.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverBendPol View Post
                                        Well, I have never been within 30 pages of a short list so probably have no right to speak to this subject. According to Samrdr1 anyhow.
                                        My primary reasons for not taking my horse to the Olympics this time are that the pollution would probably do irreversible damage to him, if the traveling hadn't killed him getting there. Combine that with the human rights issues and I'd have to say "Thanks. I am truly honored, but I won't go."
                                        Badminton has always been my dreamy goal anyhow. Never dreamed of Olympic competition.
                                        Good summation, I agree.
                                        Nina's Story
                                        Epona Comm on FB

Comment

Working...
                                        X