• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Concussions/return-to-play (HR)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concussions/return-to-play (HR)

The NFL just introduced a new "Sideline Concussions Exam", a neurologic test to determine – on the field – whether an injured player may return to the game. It is designed to be administered within 6-8 minutes of a suspected concussion. All players will be tested before the season to determine a baseline – how they perform on the test when healthy.

As I was listening to a report on this, I wondered if/how this would be applicable to eventing, in particular regarding a rider who has a fall then wants to ride again later in the day/show.

The NFL is evidently leading the field in this area. One thing they have is a certain number of qualified medical professionals immediately available to administer the test, whereas it could be hard to do the same for an eventer who is in the back 40 leading his horse to the stabling area after a fall.

Would love to hear your opinions on this!
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Eventing has similar guidelines, although not as comprehensive as the NFL's guidelines.

http://useventing.com/resources/file...n-Brochure.pdf
    Head Geek at The Saddle Geek Blog http://www.thesaddlegeek.com/

Comment

Originally posted by jn4jenny View Post
      Eventing has similar guidelines, although not as comprehensive as the NFL's guidelines.

http://useventing.com/resources/file...n-Brochure.pdf
      If only this part of the document were still true:
      What happens if the rider answers all the questions correctly and appears to be
      physically all right?
      The rider can immediately continue with the course.

Kinda tells you how dated the document it.

However, if you will check the new rules...
      In conjunction with GR1317, the following apply in the case of a fall/accident or other injury likely to cause concussion (as determined by qualified medical personnel):
      a. No loss of consciousness and no sign of concussion - No mandatory suspension;
      b. No loss of consciousness but with brief symptoms of concussion e.g. confusion,
      loss of memory, altered mental state (all symptoms of concussion must have resolved within 15 minutes both at rest and exercise) - minimum of 7 days mandatory suspension. The day of injury counts as the first day of suspension period.
      c. Any loss of consciousness, however brief, or symptoms of concussion persisting
      after 15 minutes - minimum 21 days mandatory suspension. The day of injury counts as the first day of the suspension period.
      d. Notwithstanding the above, riders who have established a baseline neurocognitive skills level through a Federation approved testing program e.g. IMPACT test may return to competition upon submission to the Federation of certification that they have passed an exam establishing that they have suffered no impairment of that level. In addition, they must submit clearance as required under GR1317.6.
      e. All other riders may, at the expiration of the mandatory suspension period, return to competition by complying with the requirements of GR1317.5.

Comment

I'm glad they've altered the rules to be more comprehensive. If I sustained a concussion, I would retire on course--but others who are more competition-minded might be tempted to continue, which is extremely dangerous.

Comment

Originally posted by jn4jenny View Post
          I'm glad they've altered the rules to be more comprehensive. If I sustained a concussion, I would retire on course--but others who are more competition-minded might be tempted to continue, which is extremely dangerous.
          The problem is how many of us can self-diagnose a concussion? How many times have you had a fall and thought you were fine but the after effects contradict that thought and you are sore places that you did not even remember impacting? Ever had a fall and not even know that you have hit your head?

Are the regular medical personel on site at a HT qualified to field-diagnose a concussion 100%?

We don't have the "bank" that the NFL has nor have we really admitted to the same degree that we have a problem. Lots of room for education with riders IMO.

Lots of ULRs ride hurt. Whats to stop them if they had a crash at home? I know of an ULR who had a very bad crash last year who had shown up to ride already quite injured. Perhaps if he/she had needed to pass a medical clearance exam before riding that crash would not have occured? Hard to say but it certainly could have been a factor.

I hang out with a polo crowd and scrimmage/stick and ball with them sometimes and I always wear my helmet. They only wear helmets when they have to. I am quite sure that they find it funny that I wear a helmet. Things are changing but overall as horseman we sure have a long way to go.

I have read studies that discuss the cumulative effect of mild concussions and have to wonder how many of us suffer from this but are unaware.

My point is that this is an issue and it needs attention. I just don't know how it can be done since the majority of riders seem to almost be proud of riding hurt and not always making use of proven safety equipment, the different challanges of dealing with athletes that train on their own, the funding required etc etc
          "look deep into his pedigree. Look for the name of a one-of-a-kind horse who lends to his kin a fierce tenacity, a will of iron, a look of eagles. Look & know that Slew is still very much with us."

Comment

Originally posted by sisu27 View Post
            The problem is how many of us can self-diagnose a concussion? How many times have you had a fall and thought you were fine but the after effects contradict that thought and you are sore places that you did not even remember impacting? Ever had a fall and not even know that you have hit your head?
            Yes I have, and that's why I did not rely on myself to make the diagnosis. The people around me, and ultimately the EMS, took steps to assess the severity of the concussion and decide if I should go to the hospital for further testing. But the point is that even for people like myself that I would consider responsible and informed about concussion injuries, there's still a measure of personal decision involved. So it comes down to a question of whether the USEA should step in when the rider's judgment abilities may be impaired. I don't have an answer to that.

Are the regular medical personel on site at a HT qualified to field-diagnose a concussion 100%?
            No, and anyone who tells you that even the NFL folks are qualified to field-diagnose 100% are full of it. Even the best medical team can't 100% diagnose a TBI without MRI and other expensive, hospital-bound diagnostics. There are doctors who even feel that THAT'S not sufficient because TBI is so complex and there can be cognitive issues even if the MRI is clean. The only 100% foolproof way to prevent TBI would be to not have head injuries.

Are there steps that can be taken on the field to help prevent a total catastrophe, and is it a good idea to be extra cautious and assume the worst based on the symptoms? Of course. And I wish that eventers had better guidelines, although I don't think the concussion brochure is a bad start (names symptoms, gives time spans during which the symptoms may or may not occur, etc.) An updated concussion brochure would go a long way toward that goal, as does the presence of a well trained EMS at an event.

Lots of ULRs ride hurt. Whats to stop them if they had a crash at home? I know of an ULR who had a very bad crash last year who had shown up to ride already quite injured. Perhaps if he/she had needed to pass a medical clearance exam before riding that crash would not have occured? Hard to say but it certainly could have been a factor.
            Hate to break it to you, but the problem is even bigger than that. Even with the necessary diagnostics like MRI, many doctors seriously underestimate the potential consequences of TBI. And even those who recognize those consequences can't necessarily predict them since every patient's recovery is different. So there are people running around with full medical clearance who might be VERY not okay.

In short, I think we can agree that the USEA could use better guidelines and procedures. But I also think we need to recognize that as with helmet use, at some point this comes down to the scary grey area of personal decision making. It's terrifying that those decisions might be made by someone with impaired judgment, but it becomes very difficult to tell if someone's judgment is impaired by a head injury or because they're just a hard-headed type who comes from a "tough it out" background.

Comment

Having seen one of our barn kids being given a leg up and sent on her way WITH a concussion prior to the one fall rule, I wouldn't want to see the ground jury making that kind of call again...

It became quickly apparent there was a huge problem... kid was galloping circles and jumping random fences trying to remember her course... (thankfully she was quickly flagged down and halted).
              "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

Comment

Originally posted by Ibex View Post
                kid was galloping circles and jumping random fences trying to remember her course... (thankfully she was quickly flagged down and halted).
                Gee, sounds like a normal cross country ride for me!! ;-)

Comment

Working...
                X