• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Quarter sheet opinions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quarter sheet opinions

It's finally time to upgrade my old quarter sheet. I can't decide to go with the standard under-the-saddle version or the newer style that folds over the rider's legs and fastens in front of the rider somehow (never seen one in person, just pictures).

I like that you can take it off really easily once warmed up, but how much do they flap around?

Thanks!

I like the ones with the hole in the front for the rider. The one that I used in the past just had heavy duty Velcro that closed the front, so you could detach the pieces and take it off. You could just as easily put it under the saddle to use it like a conventional sheet, so long as you were also using a saddle pad so that the horse has some protection. I think that the over the leg option is more versatile, just check out the one you buy so that you can be sure that the seams and closures are conducive to both uses. (i.e. no big bulky seam that would make it uncomfortable used underneath)

Comment

H-
      I bought the wrap around style from Tack of the Day. I didn't know it was wrap around till I put it on and good grief, how is this thing supposed to fit?! I had some amusing emails with the TOTD Geeks and Geekettes and learned how to use the thing. So here's my take. In New England in the winter, riding outside every day, chances are good you'll want the traditional size and shape bc you won't want to take the thing off your horse!

If you're going South, then maybe the fitted one. Yes, you wear the fitted one over your thighs and do it up around your waist and yes you can easily take it off without getting off. You can also put it on and put the flappy wrap-around sections under your saddle flaps and still do up the velcro in front of the saddle over the wither. Wearing it around your waist helps the sitting trot. Under the flaps allows for posting/2-point. If you're getting fleece, be sure to use a healthy dose of Show Sheen and dryer sheets or the static will get you get bucked off when you pull the thing off. -P
      Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Comment

My theory is that if it is cold enough to need a quarter sheet, then I use a traditional one under my saddle.

At the moment, I am making polarfleece quarter sheets as a side business. I love that they are easily washable. And you can avoid the static by just drying them in "air" (no heat) for a minute or two.

Comment

I have the rambo one - http://www.smartpakequine.com/Produc...4&cm_vc=Search

I really like it, easy to take off once you are warmed up and it doesn't move.... plus I think its pretty It attatches infront of the saddle with velcro.

Comment

I have the one that goes around the rider (I believe its a Rider's International). What I do with mine is when I first get on and am warming up at the walk on really cold days I wrap it around my legs. When I'm ready to trot or if its not that cold I take the sides, pass them under the flap (guess this wouldn't work with a monoflap LOL), and then fasten it in front of the saddle. Then once I warm up I can take it off easily but it is still under the saddle while I am using it and it doesn't constrict the movement of my legs. I usually take it off once I'm warmed up but I also jump in it on really cold days.

My only complaint with this is that it doesn't fit under the flap and around the front of the saddle very well on my dressage saddle. My jumping saddle is fine but it is also a 16. I suggest if you are going to buy this kind and have a saddle bigger than about 16.5 you get an XL or Oversize quarter sheet.

Comment

Hands down this is the best one I've ever owned. I got one through BoB but if you order here you can pick more colors!

http://www.thermatex.co.uk/thermatex...rug-723-0.html

It is the kind that you can take on and off while still sitting on the horse (or at least without taking your saddle off depending on your horse!).

ETA: These are the only ones that I've found are big enough to fit like a traditional one but have the convenience of the of the other style plus they wick away sweat and are very warm.
              Last edited by bornfreenowexpensive; Feb. 5, 2011, 03:59 PM.
              ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Comment

I second the Rambo Newmarket fleece quarter sheet! It's wonderfully thick and sturdy, I love the color and I can put it under my saddle flaps or over my thighs. I keep mine on the whole ride, has never moved or slid around like others have.

I have a wool "show" cooler (doesn't cover his neck), so when I'm cooling him off I detach the tail strap on the quarter sheet and throw it over his neck to keep him toasty. Love it! I found mine on eBay (large for a 16.2 TB) for $40, it had only been used once.

This is the one I have

ETA: I forgot to say that I really like this quarter sheet because the cut is such that my lower leg does not touch it, I find quarter sheets that cover the "heel area" annoying. That's totally personal preference though =P

Comment

I had a Saratoga one that went over my legs and Velcroed in front of me. Sometimes I would just run it under the flap and not over my legs. It worked pretty well both ways. I ended up selling it because my old mare hated it, but I miss it! It looked brand new even after 5 years of pretty heavy use.
                  RIP Charlie and Toby

Comment

I have the wrap-around, but I put it on over the saddle pad and under the saddle. Then if I want to take it off, it is easy.

Comment

I have the same one as BFEN. Check on ebay they are selling for $99! Really love and they are super easy to take off if you need to but I find with the thermatex the horse doesn't get too hot so I don't need to take it off.
                      http://www.benchmarksporthorses.com/

Comment

Does anything look better than the orange and striped Whitney wool blankets the racehorses use galloping on the Downs in England?
                        Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Comment

Yes, foxtrots, they are gorgeous, aren't they?
                          I have a horse that has always objected fairly strenuously to a quarter sheet. The flapping does us IN. I wonder, you quarter sheet guys, do yours have weights in the back seams to keep them down around the horse's quarters? Or are they just heavy?
                          Proud & Permanent Student Of The Long Road
                          Read me: EN (http://eventingnation.com/author/annemarch/) and HJU (http://horsejunkiesunited.com/author/holly-covey/)

Comment

Originally posted by ake987 View Post
                            ETA: I forgot to say that I really like this quarter sheet because the cut is such that my lower leg does not touch it, I find quarter sheets that cover the "heel area" annoying. That's totally personal preference though =P

I was taught how to fold it up so that the heel area is always free. You just have to make sure to keep it smooth so you don't feel a lot under your leg. But the cut awa ones can be nice. Still love the thermatex best though
                            ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Comment

My hands down favourite is Dover's climatex sheet. I LOVE that thing, always at the perfect temperature and super breathable so you don't have to take it off - the horse never gets too hot.
                              Life doesn't have perfect footing.

Bloggily entertain yourself with our adventures (and disasters):
                              We Are Flying Solo

Comment

I have the cutaway one from Rider's. I love it!. I use it most on really days when I am riding bareback cause it's too cold for tack. On windy days it does flap around a bit, thankfully my horse is ok and doesn't freak over it.

Comment

I have the Rider's Coolex cut away rug and I like it a lot. It is a little heavy so it doesn't flap and it doesn't have any static. I use it either under the saddle flaps or over my legs.

I usually do my warmup in it and take it off, and it is possible to take off w/out getting off.

I find the sizing to be a little large, but it really doesn't cause me any problems.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you!! All kinds of ideas!

This started with the Thermatex's were on TOTD but I dithered too long and they sold out! My concerns I guess were about stability of the over the rider kind, which I was leaning towards because of the ease of removablilty - and while I don't go south, I do clip in the spring when it's still chilly. I don't do much serious riding in the winter- hacking and road work. I've tried using a regular fleece sheet over my legs and it just doesn't work right.

As for materials, I have fallen in love with a lightweight wool plaid -( and will post pictures when I get it. ) I don't want fleece due to the static issues (although will have to try that dryer trick) and I have 2 fleece coolers.

My old quarter sheet does not have billet straps (just girth) and my mare is a pad spitter and that goes for quarter sheets too - over the leg (or under the flap) would eliminate that problem.

Comment

Does anyone know where you can buy a Newmarket wool quarter sheet? I want one...

Comment

Retread - does your 1/4 sheet have a tail strap? Adding one might help some. I have used a small 1/4 sheet that doesn't come down far on the sides, like a pony size, a tight tail strap on one, and a waterproof one, to help eliminate flapping/finding self in a snow bank in woods/between the indoor wall and horse.

Hillary - The waterproof one is like a turnout sheet that is lined in wool. It runs smaller/shorter on the sides, and doesn't move like the other materials. Can't really flap because the material is stiffer. It is a cutout type that works on your legs or under the saddle, and doesn't cover the "kicking area". It also has an effective tail strap, rather than the ones that dangle loose and add to the drama lol. I think it is either Rambo or Weatherbeeta. Will look when I get a chance. Just another option if you ride outside some in winter. Nice and windproof as well, and breathable!

G'Morning - The Newmarket 1/4 sheets are usually cheapest at Dover or Smartpak, although haven't looked in a couple months. Can usually get a good deal online, and quick delivery. I'm guessing Bit of Britain and other big online selling sites have them as well.

Comment

Working...
                                        X