Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You're responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it--details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums' policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it's understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users' profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses -- Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it's related to a horse for sale, regardless of who's selling it, it doesn't belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions -- Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services -- Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products -- While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements -- Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be "bumped" excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues -- Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators' discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you'd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user's membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

relax dress code for dressage now....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

relax dress code for dressage now....

Now that ASTM helmets are required for all levels at USEA events,(YEAH!!!! all for approved helmets) I vote for getting rid of coats also. I believe this was proposed a few years ago by one of the O'Conners and I am all for it. Part of the reason to keep the stuffy look in dressage was tradition, well part of that tradition is now gone. Eventing needs to be recognized for the athletic sport it is, and we as riders need to dress the part. Event riders are just as much an athlete ans any other sport but it is hard for the public to take us that way when we look like penguins.

We can now wear leather leggins and not tall boots, (still look like half chaps to me, lol) so why not complete the athletic look and get rid of coats. We have done away with tall boots and top hats or caps. There are some recognized events where the rider has to do stadium in cross country garb anyway as they go right to XC after stadium. Why cant dressage catch up with the times?

Just an opinion from a smurf!!

For events that are contested in one day, you don't have to wear a coat and neckwear. This rule was made a couple years ago. For events that are contested over more than one day, then you do have to wear a coat and neckwear. Here in Area 2, most events are contested over one day, so you will see a lot of people in polos.

Comment

Original Poster

All the more reason....

Originally posted by curlykarot View Post
      For events that are contested in one day, you don't have to wear a coat and neckwear. This rule was made a couple years ago. For events that are contested over more than one day, then you do have to wear a coat and neckwear. Here in Area 2, most events are contested over one day, so you will see a lot of people in polos.
      All the more reason to do away with coats all together. Leave the coats for the hunter ring......

Comment

I disagree. I personally like having a traditional dress code and wear my coat even in one-day events. The helmet rule was changed for SAFETY, not comfort or "sporty-ness".

Comment

It would be just fine with me to get rid of the need to buy some silly expensive coat that makes you sweat your bum off and serves no practical purpose!
          Life doesn't have perfect footing.

Bloggily entertain yourself with our adventures (and disasters):
          We Are Flying Solo

Comment

Actually at FEI you still wear your top hat and tails at the upper levels and as someone else said the rule change was for safety.
            Pesonally I will always wear my coat unless it's extremely hot and even then sometimes I do but then I was raised in the old school belief that it was respectful to the judge and to the sport to have a nice turn out.
            I mean seriously what's next....hey I know let's all just not braid either because well you know it's a pain in the ass and then you could all sleep in later and while we're at it let's just not wear breeches either cause their not comfortable to everyone and we can all wear whatever we want and hey don't bother washing your horse after all he'll just get dirty on x-co.
            Hey I have an idea...why don't YOU just go compete at unrecognized events where it is suppose to be like a "schooling" show and you can wear your polo shirt and your half chaps.
            "A little less chit-chat a little more pitter-pat"

Comment

I'm sitting on the fence on this one. I like that a coat looks neater and more polished, but I hate how hot and nasty it makes you in the summer. Maybe make it mandatory for only Prelim and up (considered Upper Level by USEA) but encouraged for lower levels?
              Last edited by GingerJumper; Jul. 13, 2011, 09:46 AM.
              Trying a life outside of FEI tents and hotel rooms.

Comment

I disagree because I like the look of the traditional coats, but I have heard this argument before. Coats are waived when it gets above 80F, and I don't usually get hot in mine until the temps reach that. If I'm hot, and it's below 80F then I will just not wear it in warm up. Many events are starting to run as one-days, and you can wear polos at those! Also, I don't really see how getting rid of the coats is going to help us achieve more recognition as an athletic sport.

ETA: Not all coats are expensive although I agree that many are pricey. If you look around, sometimes you can get very nice used ones, on sale, etc. I have a gorgeous hunt coat that was given to me for free a few years ago!
                T3DE Pact

Comment

Me too. As much as I like the look and the tradition of the coat and stock tie, I'm the fist one to cheer when the "coats are waived" announcement goes out! I do not do well in the heat, I overheat quickly, so the coat goes in preference to having a decent ride.

Comment

I also like the traditional look for dressage, with the caveat that coats are optionally waived at a certain temperature, and mandatory waived when it is very hot out. Different people have different tolerances to heat, and it gets dangerous to wear them depending on the temp. In Virginia, I have been to a few horse trials during the summer when they would not let you compete with a jacket. It was about 95 out on both occations, and I thought it was very smart. They are generally good about waiving them when it's above 80, but I've only seen a mandatory waive a few times.

Comment

I always wear my coat in dressage, and I can't warm up and put it on just before my test because my horse doesn't like fabric flapping around above him.

But-- food for thought-- I was scribing for a former team rider turned FEI "I" judge, and coats had been waived. A rider came into the arena wearing a coat, and the judge exclaimed under his breath that he wished she would have left her coat off in the heat. So I don't believe that judges necessarily feel you are showing them more respect if you are sweltering around in a jacket.
                      SportHorseRiders.com
                      Taco Blog
                      *T3DE 2010 Pact*

Comment

NO way. Honestly, I think there is something to be said for tradition ( as long as it includes safety/technology) but polo's are just to casual for big events IMO... I have been known to wear polos at one day events in the summer, but I kind of like the stock/coat look...I mean it really doesn't take that much extra effort and in early spring/fall I would be wearing a jacket of some sort anyway so why not look professional.

Comment

Originally posted by CookiePony View Post
                          But-- food for thought-- I was scribing for a former team rider turned FEI "I" judge, and coats had been waived. A rider came into the arena wearing a coat, and the judge exclaimed under his breath that he wished she would have left her coat off in the heat. So I don't believe that judges necessarily feel you are showing them more respect if you are sweltering around in a jacket.
                          As others have said already, I agree to mandatory waiving when it's just terribly hot, but then again, that becomes a safety issue

Comment

I disagree, I like the traditional look of a Jacket for dressage, yes if its very hot then it shouldn't be required. I don't mind warming up with out but like to wear for the test. Don't think we should be changing everything. and like one person said the helemts were for safety.
                            Keep the jackets!!

Comment

I like coats. I think they just look nicer. We wear coats in stadium, with approved helmets, and we still look professional, not casual.

As for the "requirment" to "buy expensive coats", why do we have to feel like we have spend hundreds of dollars on a coat, esp at the lower levels? Mine was about $80. No, it is not as detailed as a fancy couple of hundred dollar one but you know what? 1) the judge doesn't care and 2) you can't tell the difference in photos.

I have shown in recognized dressage shows in my approved helmet. Admittedly it was back when bowling balls were helmets but even so, with a velvet cover it still looked ok. And again, the judge didn't care.

I have also "lost my figure" over the years and my family genetics of being thick in the middle (read: big tummy). A coat helps hide it!

If they do decide to do away with coats, I do think it should be an OPTION and not a requirment. Like the "leggings".

Comment

I have no intention of ever riding another dressage test as long as I live but IF I DID you bet I would wear a coat. Coats cover up a multitude of sins and at my age I want them covered up if I have to do a sitting trot!

Comment

You can find a very pricey coat for under $100 if you keep an eye out on e-bay and other websites. I think our sport is very much tradition based, and it would be a disservice to out sport to abandon that. You update things in the name of safety and sometimes, practicality, but, that should be it. I would hate to see the loss of the look of the 'Sunday Jog' and the immaculately turned horses & riders. After all, this sport is a profession to many, and yes, appearance does factor into that. Perhaps this is another victim of the fall of the long-format

Now I'm curious, what are these leggings everyone is referring to?

Comment

Original Poster

Tradition you say.........

Early 1900's
                                    Double bridle required except steeplechase
                                    Military only
                                    Dressage last
                                    182 pounds required for rider
                                    Day 1- 33 miles, then cross country of 3 miles and 15 minute time limit
                                    Day 2-Steeplechase
                                    Day 3-show jumping
                                    Day 4- dressage test
                                    7 judges, including jumping, changes of pace and pirouettes
                                    1920- Antwerp
                                    dressage phase ELIMINATED
                                    another endurance phase added
                                    day 1 - 28 miles of road and tracks 3 miles of cross country 18 jumps
                                    day 2- rest
                                    day 3- 12 miles of roads and tracks
                                    day 4 rest
                                    day 5- steeplechase
                                    day 6 show jumping
                                    1924-Paris Olympics
                                    day 1- dressage with 5 meter circles, half pass
                                    day 2 endurance with a phase E to cool horse down
                                    day 3- show jumping
                                    Source--http://www.discovereventing.com/?q=node/67

There have been many traditions changed over the years including eliminating dressage. Makes me wonder about the validity of coats in dressage. Yes they have been a tradition for a while but also it was a tradition to NOT have the dressage test.

I guess, define the length of time something has to be in existence for it to be a tradition? I have been eventing since 1977 and have always worn a coat. but may it is time for a change?

ETA
                                    Of course, steeplechase was around since 1900 and it is now gone at the FEI levels.... maybe in another 100 years coats will be gone too!!
                                    Last edited by nature; Feb. 3, 2011, 10:42 AM. Reason: added thought....

Comment

I agree with most of these posters. I love the traditional, formal and respectful look of a coat & stock tie for Dressage. I think that under a certain temperature it should be mandatory at recognized events, but of course waived for a show shirt or polo after a certain temperature. At schooling shows, then whatever you want to wear is fine. The helmet rule was implemented for safety, not comfort or "look." Next thing you know, we'll do away with braiding and grooming, and be riding XC in sneakers! Let's keep a little stuffy decency

Comment

I hate coats. They look great, but count me as another rider who truly suffers in full gear in hot weather. And I am stuck spending more than $80 because I haven't yet found an off the rack coat that fit me. (short-waisted, big chest, etc.)

To me, this is a sport, and even if I am fit, sweat pours off of me in warmish weather when I'm riding. Even without a coat. Add a coat, and it's just not pretty. I know there are folks who don't look like they have had a bucket of water poured over their head after they finish a test, but between May and October, that's me, and it's not so attractive, tradition or not.
                                        I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
                                        I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

Comment

Working...
                                        X