• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Oddest comment/score on a dressage test

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oddest comment/score on a dressage test

So generally, when I get my (usually not great) dressage tests back, I have a mixture of "yeah, I knew that" and "oh, excellent comment" about what the judge has to say, but every now and then....

Example - riding preliminary at Wayne, my horse does what I, my trainer, another BNT with whom I had cliniced a fair bit and another friend all thought was a better than usual test for him (with which the judge agreed) and a really excellent free walk. I was thinking, "wow, with luck I could even imagine an 8 on this" (he would usually get 6s, an occassional 7on the free walk). Get the test back, the comment for the free walk was "good stretch, overstep and march, walk too springy" score - 3. Huh

Anyone else
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

wow.
    My two favorite personal comments on dressage tests:

#1 -OTTB, intermediate test. horse was never happy about dressage and would often spaz. Doing a medium canter down the long side...well...trying. Comment from judge "nice canter half pass...too bad was supposed to be a medium"

#2 - my very relaxed ISH. LOOOOVES to stretch down into the bridle in free walk... a little too much comment from judge "NO GRAZING!!!!"
    http://www.freewebs.com/teamtangerine

Comment

I just had one this weekend that made myself, and my trainer go Owen was very well behaved, stretching into the bridle, but still green so we had a few Stevie Wonder moments. Movement was good, no big dis-obedience just some above the contact moments. Judge marks accordingly but in the collective marks, and in 3 different sections of the test says....... "neck to narrow".....

I have been around long enough and still 5 days later cannot figure out what this comment means. I understand neck to short, too long.....but to narrow? Am I supposed to give him steriods to pump him up. Sorry he is mostly TB and all but a narrow neck?????

Comment

I'm primarily a Jumper rider, but one year there was no H/J show in a particular month. My friends had been pressuring me to do at least ONE event and so we did!

My horse knew his job as a Jumper quite well so the dressage test was going to be quite an experience for the both of us. We got our bell and made our way to X. Straight, brilliant trot, wonderfully square halt - on the score sheet we got an 8! With an entrance like that, you'd expect us to have nothing but flowery praise and wonderful marks but that was not to be the case.

You see, while my court signaled with a bell, the court next 10 feet away started with a whistle. I didn't know this until I was halted at X, head bowed in my salute. I could feel the switch in my jumper's head turn "This must be some kinda flat-class... Oh wait, WHISTLE! I KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS! GO GO GO! AFTERBURNERS ENGAGE!"

On the video tape you can see the panic cross my face as my horse mentally prepares to kick it in to high gear. I put on the best smile I can, retake my reins and together jig/wiggle/dance/snort my way down to C.

The test was horrible. Without a doubt the worst Dressage test in the history of man. I think the woman who almost fell off got a better score. Our canter M-X-K with a simple change at X was more of a serpentine beginning somewhere around M demonstrating our new upper-level movements that were dubbed after my test "attempties" - some sort of strange leg-yield, flying change buck combinatons.

Somewhere along the line, horror gave over to amusement at the absurdity of the entire situation and I started cracking up. I laughed my way thru the last 3/4 of the test

Some of the judges comments from my dressage test -
        About my 'attempties': "Yeehaw buckaroo! With some straightness those will make nice tempis one day."
        And my favorite: "Exuberant and joyful. Tactful ride on what looks to be quite a firecracker!"
        Whee!

Comment

my OTTB looooves dressage, and we generally do very well... except the free walk. it sucks. i know it sucks. Tests of mostly 8s and a few 7s get complimented by a 4 on the free walk. Every.single.time. Well, at one show the judge, in what i like to tell myself was an attempt at a compliment wrote "very nice horse, too bad about the walk!"

Comment

Kelly once got the comment "fussy head" on each and every dressage test for a period of about two years running. Think it was a persistent problem?
            Click here before you buy.

Comment

On a quarter horse that was VERY hard to handle and keep at a walk, never mind any downward transitions, and had a sewing machine trot when she got going, I would get comments like "Well ridden test on difficult horse" and stuff like that.

On my thoroughbred now, who despises dressage ( we had to do it though as we were in Pony Club and doing eventing) the test had all fairly low marks.... not dead last, but not great either. The one and only comment from the judge was "Keep Trying". LOL That was all he said
              http://www.hammerdownfarm.com

Comment

my favorite score

movement-3
                disobedience-8
                A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well.--G. K. Chesterton

Comment

I had a Hanoverian that usually got high 20s low 30s in dressage, he was wonderful and fun in dressage. At one HT we had our typical nice test, watched the video of it, and thought it would be a low 30s kind of test. We got a 45 and the ONLY comment on the whole test was, "Horse too big to be an event horse"

I was horrified and so embarrassed. That horse went on to win best conditioned horse once at a T3D (and won the T3D too!), took me to my first Prelim (we were 4th) and taught me a ton. He could be tricky on cross country, almost always clean in stadium, and loved dressage. Good thing he didn't know a huge white imported horse was too big for eventing, even at Prelim But I will never forget that judge's comment!
                  WestWind Farms
                  Love means attention, which means looking after the things we love. We call this stable management.
                  - George H. Morris

Comment

The mare I used to lease hated mud. After we had a warm-up indoor we headed outside into some pretty squelchy footing and she was PISSED. Yes, she is a hothouse flower. She's usually super forgiving and willing in a dressage test, but this time she subtly stated her annoyence at every single freakin' step (i.e. I'd put my leg on, and she'd lean right back. She never does that!). Everyone who knows her was laughing, but the judge would have had no way to know.

Comments?

"Willing horse. Rider needs to improve".

I swear the mare laughed all the way back to the barn.
                    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

Comment

under collectives:
                      "very naughty horse"

on a canter down the long side:
                      "tempi changes unnecessary"

also under collectives:
                      "horse and rider need to understand fundamental principles of dressage"
                      (ouch! I think it was less an understanding issue there--more of an execution problem)

Comment

"Teach your horse to be QUIET!"

(on a friends score sheet)
                        Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
                        Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
                        -Rudyard Kipling

Comment

In the collectives on a friends' test, in which the scores ranged from 4 to 8:

"Some parts were really OK."

Generally, "OK" doesn't get qualified by "really," so what exactly does "really OK" mean? As in 'the rest were really atrocious' or 'some parts were really mediocre!'

Odd...
                          I evented just for the Halibut.

Comment

RIDER is a VERY BRAVE woman with good coping skills, horse is disobedient and athletic.
                            http://weanieeventer.blogspot.com/

Comment

what a horrible comment

Originally posted by Ishi View Post
                              I had a Hanoverian that usually got high 20s low 30s in dressage, he was wonderful and fun in dressage. At one HT we had our typical nice test, watched the video of it, and thought it would be a low 30s kind of test. We got a 45 and the ONLY comment on the whole test was, "Horse too big to be an event horse"

What a horrible mean comment - good for you to continue on. I think that judge should be reprimanded for that comment. They are not there to tell you whether the horse is an event horse - they are there to judge the test only. That comment is far beyond inappropriate.

I ride a draft cross - he is a big guy - 17hh 1600 lbs - yeah he is big but we have a ball together. Check him out at www.hotelfun4kids.com/horses.htm

Comment

In general comments a judge once wrote, "Well.... That was FLAMBOYANT"

I should have had that test framed.

Comment

Well, that test was at a HT in Colorado that is a little odd, been around forever and ever, and the people who run it, are...different I bet everyone in Area IX know which HT I'm talking about though

Just for fun, this is the big horse in question, he was 17 hands and bigger, but not the biggest horse out there, and I'm 5'10. At times he could be a little hard to turn in stadium, but I never had issue with making time, not ever after we moved up. I would have loved to go intermediate on this horse, but, unfortunately it wasn't meant to be. This was our first prelim together.

I've had some colorful comments on other tests, on other horses, but all were pretty much expected, like a tactful ride here, and fit horse there, but those make me giggle looking back on the tests quickly deleting the video of them
                                  WestWind Farms
                                  Love means attention, which means looking after the things we love. We call this stable management.
                                  - George H. Morris

Comment

"Have you considered tennis lessons?" along with a score of 67 from Jack LeGoff. Although the score was very correct given the test I'd ridden, I didn't stop crying for three days after I read that score sheet. Luckily it really motivated me to improve my dressage (and eventually start to enjoy it).

Comment

we bought my daughter a 17 y.o. appendix that had been very successful at prelim as her first horse when she was 10. he is 16.2 and a solidly built guy. dd looked like a little circus monkey riding around on him.
                                      horse had been standing in a pasture for years after a less than successful career as a foxhunter(apparently he liked to past the master of the hunt). we cleaned him up, plopped dd on his back and off they went to ride the bn test. i swear this horse knew what was up and immediately rounded up and the two of them produced a very quiet steady test. when dd got her test back the judge had written "lovely test. NEVER sell this horse."
                                      and we haven't nor will we ever. and we did frame the test.

Comment

• Original Poster

I also once got a score of 6 and the comment "nice recovery" after the previous move's score of 3 with the comment of "bolting is not in the test" when my young OTTB saw his stablemate in the ring right next to us.
                                        OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Comment

Working...
                                        X