• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

The Good and Bad about Aiken

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Good and Bad about Aiken

I have never been there, haven't even been close. I've been here for four years, and while I really do love it here, wow the winters have not been so great!
    I've done my share of cold and snowy chores (Idaho for 27 years) and I don't want to do it so much anymore!

So, looking around realtor sites etc, Aiken looks beautiful, but what is the reality of living there full time??
    We're spending our money on horses and bourbon. The rest we're just wasting.
    www.dleestudio.com

There is a lot to love about Aiken, especially from December to April. Aside from the obvious horseyness that we all know about, it has a great little town, nice golf courses and pretty architecture.

However keep the following in mind:
    It is really humid in the summer and "everyone" leaves after the winter.
    The cost of living is high compared to the average cost of living in SC (it is essentially a resort town).
    It can be hard or expensive to get there and it is remote.

I've never lived there full time, but my boyfriend's brother and his wife (an equine vet) live down there and these are there qualms. No place is perfect, but there seems to be a high season that is pretty short. As a vet, she travels a lot to have enough clients in the off season.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals" Immanuel Kant

Comment

Go there several different times during the year and check it out. That is what we did and we ended up buying land and will be building and moving full time. We also considered Tryon and Southern Pines and other horsey places, but in the end, Aiken won out. I am SO DONE with the snow and ice and cold! I was in Aiken last week for the great blizzard (!) and what they consider bad weather is laughable considering what I've come from (and came home to). I'm told you usually only break ice on the morning water buckets a handful of days each year, and the story that hit last week was the worst weather they've seen in a many decades. So it dumped some snow on Monday and I was foxhunting again on Thursday on perfect sand footing in a lightweight coat.

The horse scene in Aiken used to be winter only. Now there are a lot of horsey people there year-round. This has changed dramatically over the last 5-10 years. I have met people from all over who have moved to Aiken and are very happy with the decision. About the only two downsides that I've heard are (1) the heat/humidity in the summer and (2) the traffic on Whiskey Road. Both are relative. I've spoken to a number of people who have moved from places like FL and Chicago that say the heat/humidity is not a big deal and not as bad as what they dealt with before. The Canadians and the Vermonters, however, are justifiably horrified by it. Coming from KS, I expect to have some miserably hot and humid days in Aiken, just like we get in KS, but that there will probably be more of them. However, the other 3/4 of the year will be way better weather and footing wise. I did visit Aiken last July and it was, frankly, lovely and comfortable. So there can be breaks in the heat/humidty there, just like anywhere, and miserable times as well. My Aiken friends ride in the mornings or late evenings in the summer. One conditioned and moved her horse up to Prelim in Aiken in August a couple years ago.

The traffic on Whiskey does get bad around rush hour. But compared the the traffic and commutes in much of the country, it is no biggy. People have to have something to complain about, and these two things are pretty much all Aikenites can come up with.

The footing really is phenomenal. There is good support for horse people with vets, farriers, feed stores, tack stores, fence builders, barn builders, etc. Coming from KY as you are, that may not be such a big deal, but for me it is.

There are not nearly the bugs in the summer as I've experienced in KS or Alabama (unless you are right on the water by a lake or creek). Lots of transplants from other areas make the town really friendly and inviting and easy to get to know people. There is always stuff to do, to the point that you have to pick and choose. And you don't spend your life in the car because it's all pretty conveniently located compared to what I'm used to. Good restaurants, plenty of chain stores for everyday shopping (yes, that IS a Talbot's right next to TSC—where else but Aiken?).

What I've really liked about Aiken is meeting people in every age decade, a wide variety of disciplines, and from rank beginners to top riders, and they all are getting along and enjoying the place together.

It is not a great place to find a job, though. People who want to live in Aiken often commute to August or Columbia or the SRS for work.

You will need to form your own impression by visiting several times throughout the year. I can put you in touch with the excellent realtors that showed me around and will take you hacking in Hitchcock Woods or foxhunting, etc.

A friend who heard me talk about Aiken last fall went down at the beginning of Jan and has decided to relocate there full time. The place sells itself if it's right for you.

Also, you should look through issues of The Aiken Horse and you can get a feel for what is going on in the area year round: http://www.theaikenhorse.com/
      Hindsight bad, foresight good.

Comment

• Original Poster

Wow, wonderful information, thank you!! I will be picking the brain of someone I know who moved there as well.
        Luckily both Mr.DL and can do what we do from wherever (as long as he can get online) so that is not a big deal.
        Will definitely make plans to visit, thanks!
        www.dleestudio.com

Comment

Pros: Lovely farms. Lots going on.

Cons: Very expensive. Very very expensive. It's SC, for goodness sakes, it's supposed to be cheap!
          Life doesn't have perfect footing.

Bloggily entertain yourself with our adventures (and disasters):
          We Are Flying Solo

Comment

Might be $$ for SC, but is a hell of a lot cheaper than here in MD - for land and building ...
            http://www.cngsporthorses.com

Comment

Dang, I've always wanted to live somewhere "horsey".

With lots of transplants from other places, there is generally tolerance and broad-mindedness in terms of race, religion, politics, etc? Not that I live in such an area, (very constipated, right wing sort of bible-thumping town I live in) but if I moved, that would be a must.

Imagine, having your town with its OWN HORSE PUBLICATION. *swoon* Any big hospitals down there?
              Click here before you buy.

Comment

Couldn't agree with Badger more! Husband and I were also looking at Tryon and Southern Pines, but chose Aiken. We recently purchased 5.22 acres in Bridle Creek, and are hoping to build summer of 2013. Depends on the economy and what we can get for our farm here in Lexington, VA (which we love dearly but are getting older and won't be able to take care of it forever - thus the move. Plus the cold/snow has really gotten to DH the past couple years. ) Price is all relative to what you are accustomed to spending. Taxes are about the same as our taxes here, land was cheaper. There are ways to avoid Whiskey Road during the busy times, and there is always A/C for the hottest days. We have visited in the summer and winter - last summer was about the same as our weather here - HOT!!!! Winter was much better than here.

We are planning a weekend trip in Feb or March - will probably volunteer at one of the horse trials. Hoping that the Olympic Gala was going to be held at Phillip Dutton's place in Bridle Creek again this spring and were hoping to come down to that, but haven't seen it mentioned anywhere. I did see that a driving fund raiser is being held, and am thinking that might be in place of the one at Phillip's this year? (If anyone has any info on the Gala, please PM me. TIA )
                stained glass groupie
                www.equiglas.com

Comment

Originally posted by deltawave View Post
                  Dang, I've always wanted to live somewhere "horsey".

With lots of transplants from other places, there is generally tolerance and broad-mindedness in terms of race, religion, politics, etc? Not that I live in such an area, (very constipated, right wing sort of bible-thumping town I live in) but if I moved, that would be a must.

Imagine, having your town with its OWN HORSE PUBLICATION. *swoon* Any big hospitals down there?
                  MCG-world class academic medical center located just across the river in Augusta. Very prestigious medical community in Augusta. Pam Gleason does a great job with The Aiken Horse publication. You run into everything here because there are people from all over the country-conservative, liberal, religious, not. A very diverse group.

Comment

Originally posted by DLee View Post
                    I have never been there, haven't even been close. I've been here for four years, and while I really do love it here, wow the winters have not been so great!
                    I've done my share of cold and snowy chores (Idaho for 27 years) and I don't want to do it so much anymore!

So, looking around realtor sites etc, Aiken looks beautiful, but what is the reality of living there full time??
                    Additional Aiken info in the curent Moving to the Carolina's thread in the Off Course forum.

Comment

DW, as Kachina said, it's a very diverse group and you'll run into all sorts of people. Aiken isn't the sterotypical small southern town that "everybody" warns you about when they hear you are moving to SC.

Check out the Augusta medical scene, I met several people who live in Aiken for the horsey stuff and they (or their spouse) commutes to Augusta for the medical jobs.

Comment

One of the few things on our relocation list that Aiken DOESN'T have is a nearby Costco...but one is being built in North August and will be open this fall.

Our lot is 30 miles from the Augusta airport. When I flew out of there on Sunday there was NO line whatesoever for check-in or security. None. The airport is like a country club, very comfortable and civilized and easy access to Aiken. For some weird reason, I can fly into Augusta on Delta cheaper than I can fly to Atlanta, Columbia, or Greenville.

Comment

I lived there full time for 3 years (minus my first summer when I came back to CO). I moved back to CO just before Halloween. Aiken has an awesome horse community, tons of horsey activities but that was it for me.

Pros:
                          everything horses, all disciplines
                          cheaper than Colorado!
                          winters are easy (though this year everyone is whining)
                          great vets, access to tack & feed
                          close to beaches, Atlanta, other regional opps
                          The Hitchcock Woods!!
                          excellent training facilities, especially for eventing

Cons:
                          Summer was hell, I have never lived through anything like that. My horse was miserable from skin problems from the heat and bugs and I was miserable too.
                          Gnats - suck!
                          Very hard to make a living, so go with a lot of $$
                          Gossipy town, big time!
                          It's S.C., flat and not much else to do except horses (but I personally love big mountains, skiing, running, etc)

My farm is for sale and being rented for the winter. I truly miss my barn, my land, the location I lived in & my girlfriends but I can't stand the backwards way of living that I witnessed...obesity, smoking, lack of education, pollution (like throwing trash on the ground, not the air quality which is good) and the horrible attitude towards cats and dogs (lack of neuter/spay=huge unwanted pet population). Most people are better at overlooking these things but I came from a very active, educated and outdoorsy community.

I gave it a go but it wasn't for me in spite of all the wonderful horse opportunities.

I have tons of friends that love it...I think if you are from the east coast it's easier but I am a western girl and am content with less horse opportunities and being in the rocky mountains (at 8,750').

good luck!
                          Ready ~ 1999-2009 ~ you were bigger than life!
                          Stickers ~ 1985-2011 ~ Cody's BFF
                          I miss you both very much!

Comment

DW, less than 30 minutes from uga medical school
                            OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Comment

Originally posted by eventgroupie2 View Post
                              here.

I did see that a driving fund raiser is being held, and am thinking that might be in place of the one at Phillip's this year? (If anyone has any info on the Gala, please PM me. TIA )
                              Don't know about the Gala but the USET Foundation is hosting a Salute to Driving Dinner and Live Auction at Trout Walk Farm to benefit high performance combined driving. I do know Phillip is scheduled to perform a pas de duex with Shelly Temple on Monday February 21 during the lunch break of the combined test (this is all part of a three day driving clinic).

Badger we will be glad to see you all somewhat closer to us!

(and now back to our regularly scheduled programming)
                              www.amiddle-agedmadwomantakesthereins.blogspot.com

www.pegasusridge.com

Comment

I like this idea, because while I love having someone in Lex to visit, in Aiken, you will be about 6 hours closer to meeeeeeee!!!!

I have driven up to do Paradise once, and just loved the area. I vote that you go check it out and then let us do virtual shopping with you!!

Libby
                                I have Higher Standards ...do you? Find us on FB!
                                Higher Standards Custom Leather Care -- Handcrafted Saddle Soap

Comment

I grew up in Irmo, SC (near Columbia) moved away and have lived in VA, IL, PA and FL, then moved back to the outskirts of Aiken. GREAT place to live.

Yes, a major influx of equestrians is in the winter but we have more and more people staying all year round. Makes for a very close network of horse people.

Money wise, if you are willing to look a little further "out" of downtown Aiken, the land prices drop considerably. I'm 35min from Whiskey road but instead of 5-10acres, I have 400..I can live with that! :-)

Financially, you will save more on equine related products and services since it is all centrally located. At least I did! Many places I have lived, even the more horsey areas, had feed, hay, tack, vet, farrier all spread out so prices and gas money cost more. In Aiken, most everything you need can be found within 30min drive of one another.

Honestly, the people in Aiken are so diverse that it doesn't really feel truly southern, at least to me ;-). So, I think it is easier for out of towners to adapt than if they were thrown into some other towns (come to my little town and you will see a whole other lifestyle, LOL!).

Footing is perfect! It is amazing that if you go only an hour north it transforms to rock and red clay. Weather is hot/humid in the summer but people and animals adapt.Seriously, its not that bad unless you insiste at doing your gallop work at noon during the middle of summer! You learn to ride early and late as well as how to handle the bugs with lots of fans (I have 3 in each stall) and shaded run in sheds/barns. Really, all of the other places I have lived had comparable hot summers but more negatives than SC.

Don't forget that if you tire of the Aiken scene you are very close to Columbia which is a very neat city with a lot to do. Plus, you are only about 2-2 1/2 hours from Charleston (amazing place to go),Edisto beach and within driving distance to Hilton Head, Isle of Palms, etc. For mainstream clothes shopping and more stores,hop on the interstate and go to Columbia. Harbsion Blvd has everything!

Best of luck with your decision!
                                  Mollie Moss
                                  www.mossequestrian.com

Comment

I can't help but laugh at those who complain Aiken is expensive. Compared to what?

Depends on your point of view. Compared to NY I can not believe how cheap everything is. A house comparable to my NY house but with a lot more land is about 25% of the NY house price.

Property taxes in NY are $15,000 for 1/3 acre. aiken less than 10% of that.
                                    Insurance is also about 10% of NY prices.

Horse board in NY can be $3000 a month.

Trafiic? Compared to Metro NY there isn't any.

Motel prices are around 50% of NY prices per night.

Gas is cheaper, the supermarket is cheaper etc etc.

Easy to get to. Right off a major highway. Amtrak goes to Columbia. Less than an hour from there by car.

Compared to NY winters anything is better.

Augusta and Airport close by.

Great Regional hospital.

etc etc
                                    Fan of Sea Accounts

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Bensmom View Post
                                      I like this idea, because while I love having someone in Lex to visit, in Aiken, you will be about 6 hours closer to meeeeeeee!!!!

I have driven up to do Paradise once, and just loved the area. I vote that you go check it out and then let us do virtual shopping with you!!

Libby
                                      LOL, seems like we JUST did that moving here!
                                      Thanks so much for all the information, you guys are awesome! We really do love it here, everybody says the last four winters have been extra hard (exactly how many we've been here!), and certainly now is no time to really sell our little farm we have worked so hard on.
                                      But 5" more last night and it's 8 degrees this morning. Sigh. I hate hot summers too so I guess I'll just have to head to Jackson Hole to paint then!
                                      For sure we need to visit Aiken.
                                      How bad is the lightning? Is it as bad as Florida?
                                      www.dleestudio.com

Comment

Someone mentioned UGA medical school is 30 minutes, maybe they meant Augusta? University of GA, Athens (UGA) is 2 hours away but has an incredible vet school. Unfortunately I had to take horses up there twice but it is a good place. MCG (med college of GA) is in Augusta and it is a leading med facility, however I was shocked to see a McDonalds in the basement of the place. McD's being eaten in the nurses stations seems just wrong!

My first winter (07-08) was really mild, next winter was colder and this year does seem to be cold from what I hear but still mild compared to KY.

When I went up for Rolex, I thought KY looked amazing!

Yes, summers are horrible, the lightening is REALLY bad. I know horses that were struck and killed, my house was, business' were, fences, trees, etc. Gnarly storms. I would stand in the middle of my house and watch the barn and pray many times.

Aiken in the winter and Jackson in the summer sounds IDEAL!!!
                                        Ready ~ 1999-2009 ~ you were bigger than life!
                                        Stickers ~ 1985-2011 ~ Cody's BFF
                                        I miss you both very much!

Comment

Working...
                                        X