• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Wait, I can't possibly own 5 horses....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wait, I can't possibly own 5 horses....

So, how did this happen:

Had many horses, sold all but the competition horse when I moved to PA in 2002, as of August 2003, 1 horse.

August 2004, sell that horse to teen rider and in November 2004, get OTTB.

September 2006, OTTB injured. Have surgery done, rehab and place in a lease home (I still own him, but he is fully leased)

Dec 2006, buy the spotted menace (now I have two)

December 2008, after a successful season at training level, he was sick, recovered, but needed to rehab somewhere with more turnout. Sent him down to Debi Crowley where his rehab could also include lots of turnout.

March 2009, fall in love with and buy OTTB Fingerlakes Finest (now I have 3)

November 2009, Spotted Menace goes to Deltawave on lease.
    January 2010, realize Fingerlakes Finest does not want to be an eventer.

March 2010, leave FF in Florida to be sold as a hunter, buy warmblood muttly pony (bred to drive, but very cute - so now I have 4)

Ride muttly pony. Crappy economy, no FF sale.

January 2010, find out that horse #1 now 19 needs a new home, so I buy him (now I have 5). He is leased to one of FlightCheck's students - all is good.

But somehow, I have 5 horses when I really only mean to have one. It is clearly an addiction.

Does this happen to anyone else?
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

It clearly IS an addiction, although I've only ever "accidentally" owned two. The second found me when my first had a career ending injury and was on stall rest for 6 months until we could figure out how well he was going to heal. Bad economy - rehomed both horses, 2 years later have started over with just one...for now.
    You can't fix stupid.

Comment

You only have FIVE now ~~~~~ more to come ~
      Zu Zu Bailey " IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE ! "

Comment

Who are you? And how do you know what I'm thinking?
        "Rock n' roll's not through, yeah, I'm sewing wings on this thing." --Destroyer
        http://dressagescriblog.wordpress.com/

Comment

I have 5 andone in foal, so soon to be 6! what was I thinking???

Comment

I have 3 that i own and 1 lease...
            1 forever lame and pasture puff.
            1 pony (leased out but the people who were supposed to lease to buy leased for superrrrr cheap for over a year and then said ohnowaitwedontwanthim.)
            1 super talented competition horse (who btw, i'm not riding anymore...uhm)
            and 1 lease horse!
            And I'm only 16...thank god for being able to work off board bills!
            http://eventer4life.wordpress.com

Comment

LOL. Welcome to the club.

Jennifer
              Third Charm Event Team

Comment

I can't sell any of my own horses-horses bought for resale I can, horses bought for me, nope. So I had my first horse for over 20 years. Right now I have 2 retired event horse and Maggie (FF Louise found out was at New Holland) who will never be riding sound just all hanging out. Another FF and a Point Given gelding waiting for me to be riding again to start. Then I personally own 2 mares and 1 geldings I show, plus a pony horse. My husband only has one whenever the farrier comes and I pay the bill every 5 weeks I wonder why I have so many and how did he get so smart! I'm bad, I order dewormer in groups of 12 and justify it as saying I do client horses with it as well. Yea, 1 or 2 of them lol!

I'm not counting but we own 10, so don’t feel bad! I'm actually thrilled I can give my old show horses a permanent retirement home. I retired one somewhere else once, it was a disaster and I wouldn't do it again, besides I love my old men and love seeing them daily. I'm such a sucker
                WestWind Farms
                Love means attention, which means looking after the things we love. We call this stable management.
                - George H. Morris

Comment

ONLY 5?
                  Seema, you are just a babe.
                  Proud & Permanent Student Of The Long Road
                  Read me: EN (http://eventingnation.com/author/annemarch/) and HJU (http://horsejunkiesunited.com/author/holly-covey/)

Comment

They are kind of like potato chips that way...Lol!
                    "A little less chit-chat a little more pitter-pat"

Comment

You have no idea.... and as long as i keep in the same color caragory and hubby stays deployed of comes home in the dark.....

Comment

I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds it easy to suddenly have "one more"... thankfully my boarding barns stay full so getting another is a hassle. Because I really should be cutting down on my bills, not adding more horses.

I have 2 permanents: my retired mare and my gelding. I just sold an OTTB at the end of last year (may be taking him back- people are in financial trouble) and almost took another local OTTB resale yesterday...

Comment

When I saw this thread on the main contents (author not indicated) I laughed, thought "I have to read that" and laughed even harder when I saw who wrote it!

Because scubed reminds me a little bit of me . . . I "officially" own one horse and one Shetland pony, but somehow I've got five on the payroll as well, including one Spotted Menace of scubed's as referenced above. Who did NOT TELL ME he hadn't eaten all his Ace powder today before I rode him and was suspiciously perky. He's starting to pocket his pills, God help me!

Since SM is still laid up, the Shetland's only purpose is to be cute, and the two others eating on my tab are weanlings . . . I'm left with about the same number of horses to ride as scubed.

There is safety in numbers. We are both sane, responsible adults. Right? RIGHT??!!

And up until he was sold, I was looking at a CANTER horse only half-halfheartedly. But that one wasn't for ME. That makes a difference, right? RIGHT??!!
                          Click here before you buy.

Comment

yep

Originally posted by judybigredpony View Post
                            You have no idea.... and as long as i keep in the same color caragory and hubby stays deployed of comes home in the dark.....
                            oh how I have soo done that too!

Comment

mmmm...I'm up to 6...only 1 is leased out. Oldest is only just 11. AND I'm breeding two of them....so will have 8 in 2012 if all goes well (those two will be for sale....at least that is the plan).

Yeah...and I still don't even have fencing on my farm (horses are all boarded out) but that should hopefully be fixed this spring.
                              ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Comment

Is this the horses anonymous club?

I'm up to 5 and a half. Only two are "useful" (i.e. I ride them) but 4 should be in work... (sigh, no time for 4)

The 1/2 is a wee shetland pony so he doesn't count as a whole horse. He barely can see out over the stall wall and so people don't even notice he's there.

2 are homebreds, so no purchase was necessary (does that help the situation or my guilt?)

The most shameful confession- I absolutely love my youngest homebred. My mare is quite old (25) so no more breeding her. And I'm trying to determine at what point in time would be the most appropriate to shop for a youngster by the same sire as my youngest. You guessed it - a filly - so I can, at some point in time - breed again.

Oh, the shame. I am a hopeless addict. Absolutely pathetic isn't it?

Comment

I had 5 for a very long time, thus my name. Have 10, but have capped it at that now for 3 years to convince myself I do not have hoarding tendencies.

I got the 'extra' 5 thinking I could rehome them...yeah, that was in fall of 2007, just the beginning of a jittery economy. Most are broken and not really rehoming material. I did get one foal out of an unbeknownst pregnant mare I helped and that little guy is my pride and joy, and my next driving prospect. He is my baby, and everyone knows it.

I should probably change my name to tenhorses, but I like the sound of five better!

So, you are doing alright with 5!
                                  save lives...spay/neuter/geld

Comment

Very funny thread! I only have one... I think. Last I looked, anyway. But owning him is like owning five, perhaps.
                                    SportHorseRiders.com
                                    Taco Blog
                                    *T3DE 2010 Pact*

Comment

I have 6.5 horses. This is because one of my equines is Casper the Mule.

Three and a half live up here with me -- a 26 year-old Belg/Saddlebred/TBx, a 22 y-o TB mare and a 32 y-o QH -- live on the farm here. All are retired from riding life. And then there's Casper, of indeterminate age and unknown experiences. I wouldn't dare call him 'retired' because he's very active in the business of being a mule.

The mare's three daughters are on the east coast in training/competing situations.

Comment

try 9...... well sold one yesterday --

Went on a trail ride; friend invited some new friends --- they ended up insisting they Had to buy my horse -- um, sure, ok, no arm twisting there! (go figure, campaigning/showing this guy for 6 months, 15-20 showings, tirekickers; you've all been there-- then out of the blue --without trying!)
                                        Could have also been because their horse was just SOOOOO bad

Started with just one re-train and selling my track ponies every 2 years -- into, retrains I couldnt resist, and 2 daughters following suit with their retrains.

we all know that addictive phrase : Whats one more?

I have so many in training, I started a lesson program!

OP, you seem to so easily gather horses, perhaps you might want to consider teaching too
                                        IN GOD WE TRUST
                                        OTTB's ready to show/event/jumpers. Track ponies for perfect trail partners.
                                        http://www.horseville.com/php/search...=1&ssid=057680

Comment

Working...
                                        X