• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Feeling Snowbound. Pondering the future.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feeling Snowbound. Pondering the future.

Here is my basic question... Is it possible to "do eventing" if you keep your horse at home, with no arena and no trailer? I really want to start eventing this coming spring/summer. I have a 3 year old daughter (human!) and I would like to have a second child after this summer, so I feel like now is my one shot to really have some fun with my horse before I get bogged down by two young children.

My horse is a 12 y/o Appendix gelding, decently well trained (he did a lot of h/j type jumping when he was a 4 and 5 y/o and has done dressage with me). I have done some jumping in the past but was never very good at it (only up to like 2'6").

Here are our challenges:
    -No convenient arena. My neighbor has a small outdoor arena, about 20 minutes trail ride away, which I can use anytime, but my horse is a LOOOON when he's alone. I do have a small, hilly field I can do "arena work" in, kind of.
    -Not much money for training and lessons. My trainer is awesome in that she will come to me and is tolerant of my lack of facilities, and I feel like I do SO much better when I am getting lessons regularly. I'd love to have her do two training rides and one lesson a week... but can't afford that.
    -Not much time. I have a young daughter and I'm working two jobs and maintaining my little three-horse farm.
    -NO TRAILER. I feel like this is the killer. I can't ship in anywhere for lessons or xc schooling.
    -I will repeat--my horse is a loon. If he's worked regularly, he can be awesome, but riding once or twice a week is just enough to get him fit enough to be a royal pain in the butt when I do get to ride. It's sometimes to the point where I feel he's dangerous and I have to get off.

Am I doomed? Someone give me some positive vibes. What should my priorities be as far as devoting my time/energy/money/... buy a trailer first? Put money into training first or lessons first? Am I nuts?

Hands down... first put the money into a trailer and tow vehicle (or horse van). Well taken care of--you can use it for years. Plus you may need it for non-competion reasons (horse gets hurt).

Then put the money into lessons. Good luck...that is a lot on your plate!

ETA: a person to half lease is a very good idea especially if you are not getting him ridden at least 3-4 times a week.
    ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Comment

I would work towards riding regularly at home, with as many lessons and training rides as you can afford. Talk to your trainer about finding someone who can haul you (or find a commercial hauler). Also, maybe ask your trainer to make some of her rides include riding over to the neighbor's ring....

But some other options- can you board at a bigger barn? Find a half leaser?

Comment

Agree with magnolia that if you could find a half-leaser or teenager looking for more rides, you might be able to get your horse worked 5+ days a week which would cut down on the looniness.
        Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Comment

I'd save all your money for a trailer. Then, everything else will be much easier. If your horse is too nutty to be ridden without input from a trainer, then just give him a mini-vacation until you have the money for a trailer.

I notice that you said a three-horse farm. Can you sell something? Lease something out?

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Blugal View Post
            Agree with magnolia that if you could find a half-leaser or teenager looking for more rides, you might be able to get your horse worked 5+ days a week which would cut down on the looniness.
            I like this idea, if I can find a good enough young rider who is willing to do it. I can see this working out well, actually, if I could find someone who would be willing to swap working for riding time... (clean the run-in shed and feed dinner twice a week in exchange for riding twice a week, say). I might actually look into finding a leaser for my DH's trail horse, too, so then I would have someone to ride with! Ooooh, if only I can find the perfect rider(s)...

Originally posted by goodmorning View Post
            I'd save all your money for a trailer. Then, everything else will be much easier. If your horse is too nutty to be ridden without input from a trainer, then just give him a mini-vacation until you have the money for a trailer.

I notice that you said a three-horse farm. Can you sell something? Lease something out?
            In response to this, he's not too nutty to be ridden always... just when he's not getting worked enough. Hence the leasing idea being a good one.

I can't sell any horses... one is mine, one is DH's (and is worth her weight in gold as a sane trail/family horse) and the other is actually not mine, she's a retired boarder. I will definitely put out some feelers for leasers when spring gets a little closer. (Not enough decent weather to ride right now.)

Ideas on how to find said leaser(s)? It would have to be quite a good rider for my guy... he just wouldn't be safe for someone less experienced. I don't really have a good connection to a barn community since I have my horses at home.

Comment

Re: finding half-leasers, ask your trainer--maybe she has another student who is looking, or knows a trainer at another area barn who may have someone looking. And put up a flyer at your feed store. And tell your farrier, and your vet. And see if there are any schooling shows in your area where you could put up flyers.

And, heck, try the local craigslist.

Jennifer
              Third Charm Event Team

Comment

I have my two horses at home (hopefully a third one soon!! but a baby... and that's besides the point) and... at first I didn't have a trailer. And basically.. it sucks not having a trailer. I don't really have a ring.. .but I have a semi-flat area in the pasture to do dressage work, hills and jumps in the field. I am able to ride at home and get some stuff accomplished and found a trainer or two who would come to me. BUT... that being said.. it's hard! It's really hard... It gets boring... it gets frustrating..... but it can be done.

However... I got a very decent used gooseneck and my monthly payments are only $114/month. Before that I "rented" one from a friend for $75/month. It totally makes life more fun.... being mobile. I can haul out for lessons... to school, to trail ride... to an arena....

But as long as you have someone to haul you to events, and a trainer that comes to you. It can be done. And finding a friend that is willing to haul you to school and such... makes a big difference too.

Good luck!!

Comment

I made it with no arena, truck or trailer for four years. Agree with Fleck, though, my payment on my trailer is about $140/month for 4 years, totally worth it. I paid for my truck outright. I still don't have an arena and thought I'd be doing a lot more hauling out to ride since I got a rig, but I just ride in the fields anyway. I've taken 3 horses through N in the last four years with this arrangement and am moving 1 up to T come spring. It CAN be done!

Get with a trainer who will come to you (mine was great- we'd ride where ever it was dry enough, how many dressage lessons did we have on the side of a hill??) and hope she has some students you can buddy up with and will haul you in the meantime. My TRAINER hauled me to shows for the last year and a half! It worked out brilliantly.
                  Big Idea Eventing

Comment

I should add that I have mine at home, plenty of space to ride, though no formal ring. I have several jumps, some informal banks/ditches (thanks to a renovated dirt-bike course), and a huge log dispersed over the property. Makes for some entertaining schooling

I find that even with 2' of snow on the ground, I can get enough hacking in to keep mine fit & happy enough that the ~2 lessons at the trainers indoor suffice. However, I am not fit! This is a first for me. Mine is hot, and if I rode him 2x weekly it would be dicey, that's the only reason I mentioned a mini-vaca. Mine gets one periodically

So, it can be done, but a trailer arrangement is really the key to making it all work out. Either a friend, or trainer, or trailer loan.

Comment

Can you ride DH's horse to neighbor's ring & pony your horse? Tie DH's horse somewhere, ride in the ring with your horse & pony back home again? Maybe your horse will be better behaved with his horse friend there for the hack over/back & ring ride.

In the meantime look for a leaser/half-leaser who can later ride with you to the neighbor's ring.
                      Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Comment

Originally posted by JCS View Post
                        . . . -Not much time. I have a young daughter and I'm working two jobs and maintaining my little three-horse farm.
                        . . .
                        You need that half lessor first, to free up some time. Talk to your trainer, she'd be the first one to know of a horseless person and should have an idea of how your horse goes too.

Yes, getting a trailer would be good just for safety and general utility, going to the vet for example, but if you are working two jobs with a three year old presumably at day care you aren't going to have much time to drive it anywhere.

Good luck, I hope there is someone out there to keep him fit and focussed and maybe ride with you to the little arena.
                        Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
                        Incredible Invisible

Comment

Yes, you do have a lot going on, but if you want to event, you have to just 'go forward' and find a way.

Don't know if this will help you - for years, I've schooled my event horses in fields, not flat fields either. I did my flat work in a circle on the flattest part of the field and put stick markers in the ground for dressage letters. I used the field hills to work on me and my horses balance at the trot/canter - plus keeping the rhythm. It was always a pleasant surprise when I evented and got to ride on flat ground - it was so easy.

No, this is not ideal. I did go to one riding facility right before an event to test myself/horse. If you can ride to a facility, so much the better. I rode to all my fields and the walks are ideal for warming up and cooling out my horse. Can you get someone to ride with you/be there when you hack to a facility?

Good luck and don't give up.
                          eventwarrior

Comment

Working...
                          X