• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Spinoff: Finding "Diamonds"... knowledgeable seller or not??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spinoff: Finding "Diamonds"... knowledgeable seller or not??

So there's the thread on finding diamonds in the rough.... and it was proposed that sometimes rough they may still be pricey, because even though they're rough, the seller knows what they have and is pricing accordingly. Whereas a backyard type seller would not know what they had, and you might get a ridiculous bargain.... but you have to do a lot of looking and get a bit lucky to find them in the first place.....

It reminded me of someone who came to look at a nice gelding I had for sale, who informed me that they were "looking for a '10' mover for $5K" (young, sound, big and kid safe no less). I just laughed and said they might want to start scouring backyards as they were unlikely to find such a horse at a barn with a knowledgeable trainer in residence..... (2 years later they are still looking I might add, and kid has hit the dirt a good bit!)

Would you rather pay a little more and deal with a knowledgeable seller (maybe less of a gamble) or go cheap and take a bit more of a risk/effort trying to find the real steal?

Jennifer
    Third Charm Event Team

Pay more and deal with some one knowledgeable.

I don't have time. When I decide I need another horse...I typically want it yesterday.

I'm usually looking at green horses....I'd rather go somewhere and look at several prospects that may suit my needs. So I'd rather go to someone I know has an educated eye and gets in or breeds a type that I'm looking for....even if it means I will pay for it. It saves me time.....and as you said...it makes it a bit less of a gamble.

ETA: I will still pay what I think the horse is worth....but I'm also not one of those who thinks just because you CAN get a cheap OTTB for 1K or less that all OTTBs (or green horses) are only worth 1K (or less).
    ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Comment

If I'm looking for something that I want to bring along, whoooooo boy do I love the people with the backyard ponies!

For something that I or a friend or a student actually wants? I'll pay more to not waste my time, unless they also like going and finding a diamond in the rough.

Comment

Originally posted by Coppers mom View Post
        If I'm looking for something that I want to bring along, whoooooo boy do I love the people with the backyard ponies!

For something that I or a friend or a student actually wants? I'll pay more to not waste my time, unless they also like going and finding a diamond in the rough.
        This. Fun is fun. When you really want one NOW, looking at unsuitable horses is not fun. When you don't need one, searching for bargains is a BLAST.

Comment

Originally posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
          Pay more and deal with some one knowledgeable.

I don't have time. When I decide I need another horse...I typically want it yesterday.

I'm usually looking at green horses....I'd rather go somewhere and look at several prospects that may suit my needs. So I'd rather go to someone I know has an educated eye and gets in or breeds a type that I'm looking for....even if it means I will pay for it. It saves me time.....and as you said...it makes it a bit less of a gamble.

ETA: I will still pay what I think the horse is worth....but I'm also not one of those who thinks just because you CAN get a cheap OTTB for 1K or less that all OTTBs (or green horses) are only worth 1K (or less).
          Agreed. This is my first time shopping for ME, but I've been involved with a lot of shopping experiences...it makes a big difference to go to someone who's got a clue. They usually are better at assessing what you need and what the horse needs and getting the right match. They are also usually a lot more honest and a lot less desperate to sell. I have found with the backyard types or semi-pros they usually feel kinda desperate to sell, don't listen to what you are looking for or need, or lie through their teeth.

I also don't have the patience to go digging around in people's backyards for bargains. If I want cheap, that's what the tracks for!
          Amanda

Comment

I'm always looking when I don't need one, so stick to it has to be a bargain as well as a horse I like. I have bought several really backyard horses that have turned out well as well as some bargain priced from knowledgeable OTTB resellers and resales due to economy, injury, family situation or what not. So far that has worked for me.
            OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Comment

I don't expect to find diamonds in the rough from knowledgeable buyers, unless they are problem horses (i.e. horses with serious issues of some kind, either of the mind or the limb). You are usually better off buying one from a backyard than getting the bargain horse from a knowledgeable yard that is selling cheap because the horse is (1) a looney, or (2) lame. At least the good yard will tell you the horse is a looney or lame, but that doesn't make it any easier to resolve. If it was easy they would have fixed it and sold for more $$.

If I could afford it, I would buy nice horses from reliable sellers, though -- maybe someday! Until then, diamonds in the rough it is, or babies. These days I'm going for babies, good bargains to be found there from very reliable breeders who need to move nice stock.

Comment

• Original Poster

Well, as I was saying, a diamond in the rough from a knowledgeable seller might not be CHEAP.... it may be 30 days off the track, might have come from a barrel-bottom race stable and is still scruffy and ribby, but the reseller has done the assessment rides and have it priced at $5K because it HAS THE STUFF.... know what I mean? Whereas it might have been $600 at the track.... but if you'd gone looking yourself, you might have had to look at 20 to find one decent one.... and hope you're right..... whereas at the "knowledgeable seller"'s barn, you might be looking at 20 pre-screened, as it were.... but because of that they are pricier....

Jennifer
                Third Charm Event Team

Comment

Either, doesn't matter to me, I pretty much know what I'm looking at, no matter who is selling it. If I saw what I wanted, I'd consider the price based on what I was willing to pay for it, whoever was selling it. Of course, the steal of a deal is the deal with appeal...
                  Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

Comment

I guess I should caveat OTTBs are sort of their own little world. Some people who let them down are extremely knowledgeable, can pick good horses and restart them, then still pass them along for reasonable prices. I think most amateurs who are looking for OTTBs would be better off spending $5k for a pre-vetted one from a knowledgeable seller like this than trying their luck at the track, because they can ride it first and see if it is a good fit, which is huge if you only own one horse or have some confidence issues or aren't the most experienced with greenies.

But when it comes to non-OTTBs, if something is cheap and out of nice reputable barn, there is usually a reason and that reason isn't good. Some say the devil you know....but I always hope that the backyard horse secretly doesn't have a devil at all!

Comment

I dislike horse shopping. I'd rather go to someone with a clue and pay more. If I enjoyed horse shopping, it would be different. Instead I look at the likelihood of my time costing me more than the savings in price, and it's not worth it to go backyard/cheap.

OTTBs are their own category I don't count there. I love looking at their conformation in photos (which I know can be misleading) and guessing what they'd be good at, comparing their bloodlines, etc. And I totally window shop with stallions in case I have a mare who I think is worth breeding someday, or decide to do a breeding lease for my next horse.
                      Originally posted by Silverbridge
                      If you get anything on your Facebook feed about who is going to the Olympics in 2012 or guessing the outcome of Bush v Gore please start threads about those, too.

Comment

With OTTBs, I have a hard time buying from resellers just because going to the track and doing the first 30-60 days is so much more affordable.

In general, I agree that the pricing will be more commensurate with horse with more knowledgeable sellers. Which means you DON'T want to buy the 1K horse from the BNT.

Comment

Originally posted by ThirdCharm View Post
                          Well, as I was saying, a diamond in the rough from a knowledgeable seller might not be CHEAP.... it may be 30 days off the track, might have come from a barrel-bottom race stable and is still scruffy and ribby, but the reseller has done the assessment rides and have it priced at $5K because it HAS THE STUFF.... know what I mean? Whereas it might have been $600 at the track.... but if you'd gone looking yourself, you might have had to look at 20 to find one decent one.... and hope you're right..... whereas at the "knowledgeable seller"'s barn, you might be looking at 20 pre-screened, as it were.... but because of that they are pricier....

Jennifer
                          Or, if you're looking for something that isn't necessarily suited to the knowledgeable persons programs.

Poopsie doesn't crack his back over fences and sometimes plays after the fences? Sucks for a hunter barn, but eventers wouldn't necessarily mind it. Same with a dressage horse that tops out at the lower levels because he just doesn't enjoy it.

Comment

Would you rather pay a little more and deal with a knowledgeable seller (maybe less of a gamble) or go cheap and take a bit more of a risk/effort trying to find the real steal?

Jennifer
                            Absolutely. I still needed to buy young and green to be able to afford something nice, and I would have preferred something that was past greenbroke already, but from a reputable seller (we're actually moving to that barn for more training now), it takes a lot of stress, weirdness and uncertainty out of buying a horse. (Of course there's still plenty of stress and uncertainty left anyway...).
                            "Reite dein Pferd vorwärts und richte es gerade.” Gustav Steinbrecht

Comment

Well, I bought my last horse from a pro, someone "knowledgeable", and you know what, she lied about the horse's history. So who can you trust? My current horse I got from a woman who had a little riding program out of her house and was basically getting out of horses. He was a diamond in the rough, cheap too, and everything the seller told me has been true. She was very honest--I wish there were more sellers like her.

Comment

Well, then there's the seller who is knowledgeable--but only about another discipline (be it hunter, western, or dressage). The horse that isn't suited for their discipline may not be worth diddly to them or the usual network they sell to.

My BO (hunter rider) happened upon a horse last week that is a quarter horse owned by people who do more western stuff. This horse doesn't trot like a quarter horse (big stride, nice suspension, swingy back, etc.) He's not going to work for what they want to do with him, so they are selling him pretty cheap. Sometimes that's where you can get the deals.

Comment

The people I bought my new horse from were pretty knowledgeable...daughter rode the HJ circuit, they had a handful of OTTB's and a couple WB crosses.
                                  I stumbled across my horse's ad, first priced at 3k as a WB cross. Watched the price drop to below 2k, took the ride and fell in love.

I was shopping for a low level event prospect, thought I would end up with a 2 year old unbroke AWS...

What I discovered, after paying for and taking my new horse home that she was a 4x registry approved broodmare, a registered, branded Oldenburg (very faded brand), who had 2 high priced babies from an extremely well known imported stud.
                                  A+ mover, sweet with no vices...under 10 years old. That's what I call the bargain of the century. Her siblings have sold for upwards of 30k barely broke. She's got amazing jumper and dressage lines.

I prefer the diamond in the rough. They are definitely out there, you just need to know what to look for!

Comment

I'll take the backyarder every time. Give me a cheap price and a bad photo and I'll tell you whether I have a hunch or not. That hunch has landed myself and a few friends a number of big, fancy projects and once-well-trained horses.

What I will NOT buy from a backyarder: an OTTB. If I'm going OTTB, it will only be straight from the track.

Comment

I could care less. A photo & a pedigree is good enough for me, I can make an educated decision. Not to mention you will usually get a much more honest rendition from an owner or back-yarder. No horse is perfect, we all know that, it's much easier to find that out the issues sooner rather than later.

Comment

Pay More: Knowledgable Seller..hands down

If I had known the above I would have saved myself 3 years of pure misory with the wrong horse.

So there's the thread on finding diamonds in the rough.... and it was proposed that sometimes rough they may still be pricey, because even though they're rough, the seller knows what they have and is pricing accordingly. Whereas a backyard type seller would not know what they had, and you might get a ridiculous bargain.... but you have to do a lot of looking and get a bit lucky to find them in the first place.....

It reminded me of someone who came to look at a nice gelding I had for sale, who informed me that they were "looking for a '10' mover for $5K" (young, sound, big and kid safe no less). I just laughed and said they might want to start scouring backyards as they were unlikely to find such a horse at a barn with a knowledgeable trainer in residence..... (2 years later they are still looking I might add, and kid has hit the dirt a good bit!)

Jennifer

Comment

Working...
                                        X