• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Winter Bathing?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter Bathing?

At what temperature do you decide it's okay to bathe/clean your horse with 'hot' water?
    I've heard of steamed towels, not sure if its better than bathing in the cold temps. Also - when do you think its okay to wash a horse's tail.
    I live in NW North Carolina where our normal right now is at about 40 degrees. And i am dying to bathe my horse, she is just a lover of mud...even with a blanket on!

Would just love to hear what yall think about bathing, etc.

Thanks
    Why walk when you can ride?

Depends on the horse. Down here in Texas I don't get the snow you guys do but we make up for it in humidity. I've never been a fan of bathing horses in temps less than 50 hot water or not unless I'm dedicated to the hot towel and blankets. I had a plug in electrical blanket I used on Pal mare when I had to get her clean during the cold. Usually it was an attack of the curry comb and spot wash though as I was just convinced she would catch pneumonia if I got her too wet. Never mind she went out and played in the pond when it was 20 degrees out . She'd get toweled off and sit under the queen size electrical blanket while munching her dinner. By the time she was ready for bed she was dry and getting hot so I'd undo the blanket and she'd lay down and sleep.
    Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
    Originally Posted by alicen:
    What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

Comment

Are you bathing in a washrack in the barn or outside? If you're outside, I'd say at least 45 and sunny. Inside, with warm water, you're good to go now.

We live in NW Washington, and occasionally will do "birdie baths." We do legs, face and tail, with a cooler on, on sunny, not too windy days.

I pulled my Tbs manes and still need to clip bridle paths, legs, etc. We are going to a show next weekend and will probably wait until we get there on Friday to clean them up. You just never know what the weather is going to be like around here.

Oh! We do face (and sometimes neck) on the birdie bath with hot/warm towels. Luckily, I have three bays, so you can never tell when they are dirty!

Good luck!
      Steppin Not Dragon "Bella"
      Top Shelf "Charlie"
      Check out the Military + Horses fb page!

Comment

If it's not too windy and raw, I will bathe them down to about 40 degrees. I have hot water (endless) and am pretty fast about it--if they're winter-furry I don't delude myself that I can get them sparkling, show-ring clean without spending half an hour or more with the hose on them, so I go for "clean enough" and speedy. I cover them up with a polarfleece or something warm and wicking afterwards, and make sure they're squeegeed off as much as possible.

I don't touch tails unless it's the day before a show, ever. I keep them banged a little shorter than usual in the winter so they don't get mud/poop dingleberries in their tails if it's muddy.

One of the (very, very few) nice things about our winters: once the snow flies, it is pretty darn easy to keep them clean until about late March.
        Click here before you buy.

Comment

My horse pretty much does not get bathed from the time she's in blankets 24/7 until the first warm-ish (55+) sunny spring day. But she's a very clean horse; I jokingly call her Teflon-coated. If there was some reason I did need to clean her during the winter, I'd use hot towels.
          You have to have experiences to gain experience.

1998 Morgan mare Mythic Feronia "More Valley Girl Than Girl Scout!"

Comment

I wash my horse's tail regularly in the winter (gray horse!) by filling up a bucket of hot water and dip/dunk the tail in it to get it wet, then lather with shampoo and start dunking to rinse (changing the water in the bucket several times) until it comes clean. Then dry with a towel. I can get the tail pretty clean almost up to the dock and do it without getting him wet and cold. Luckily my horse is a good guy and puts up with me working back there!

Comment

• Original Poster

The electric blanket idea is awesome!!! never thought about such a cool idea, i would just be scared of my girl spooking while she had it on and causing some huge up-roar

Usually i dont bathe until 55 degrees either, but she is just so dirty with almost "dandrif" im not sure exactly... she even has a blanket or more on almost 24/7!

Great Ideas, thanks guys!
              Why walk when you can ride?

Comment

If they're just sort of scurfy and grungy, there's always 30 minutes of currying.
                Click here before you buy.

Comment

One time, before we had our barn, it was opening hunt weekend and I was assigned to lead the fast field, so I HAD to wash big horsey. It was march and pretty cold, so I got warm buckets with soap, put him into the trailer for cover, washed and then had to hose him off. Then I layered on blankets and walked him dry. It worked like a charm and he never got too cold with the walking.... I would only do that again in an emergency.

It got much easier with a barn - hot water - and body clipping!!!

Comment

Vacuums are great, even a cheap shop vac works. Cowboy magic makes a good spot cleaner or just take biogroom or ivory and make a very dilute spray for poop stains.
                    My problem is when I need to body clip.
                    I take the horse trailer out to the barn or haul horses to the house so that I have hot water. I wash in "quarters" and keep the rest covered with a cooler. It's not the best since no running hot water but with a good brushing or currying and lots of scrubbing I get them clean.
                    I don't wash below 40 degrees. If really sweaty I might wipe down with bigeloil mixed with warm water, cover with cooler. Heck, I already got them soaked with sweat!
                    Mine are all clipped so dry fast, esp with a cooler.

Comment

I use 50 as my bare bones cut off, usually 60 though. And I have an inside wash rack with hot and cold water, well out of the wind.

If I could get DH to get me a stall heater I would bathe them when it was colder but at air temps less than 50, I get worried, even with warm water.

Comment

When I was actively showing my lotsa-white pinto, she got bathed throughout the winter in any temps above freezing. I had access to a barn with a wash stall free of drafts and hung a heating lamp in front of the stall. Scrubbed, scraped, towelled, coolered, stalled with hay ... clean horse with no chills.

That said, hot toweling can really get a horse squeaky clean, if you are able to spend the time, have plenty of clean towels and keep scalding-hot water on hand. The water must be too hot to safely touch with bare skin; rubber gloves are required. You dunk your towel, wring out until it is just barely wet, and scrub away ... one small spot of horse with one small bit of towel. When the spot is clean, dunk and repeat on a new spot of horse with a new spot of towel. When the towel is dirty, toss it aside and resume with a new one. Expect to have to keep replacing your water so it is hot-hot-hot. I liked to add a bit of Listerine to the hot water to attract the dirt; it's also good to scrub out green manure stains.

I've done this in freezing temps, outdoors in howling winds, or if I lacked a wash stall for some reason. Because you are using so little water, the horse never really gets wet. By the time I was done, the only damp areas would be the last couple of spots I was scrubbing and they would be dry mere minutes later.
                        Equinox Equine Massage

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
                        -Albert Camus

Comment

I'll do it to about 40, but our wash stall can be closed up pretty tight (turns into quite the sauna!) and we have lots of hot water. I then bundle the hell out of them.

I'm not wild about bathing when it's cold, so I try not to, but I did bathe the night before Thanksgiving Day hunt (which was canceled! ) and I bathe them after they hunt. Tails I'll do as long as I'm not worried about their tails freezing.
                          Amanda

Comment

If you're in the 40's and you have warm water I think you'll be just fine so long as you have a cooler

Comment

I washed two weeks ago before second round of clipping, it was just about 50. washed in an outdoor wash rack, hot water, and moved fast. It was a no wind, sunny winter day, mid-day (so the temps weren't dropping as he was drying). I put on an irish knit, topped with a fleece cooler and hand grazed/walked in the sun until he was dry. He never shivered or seemed bothered and was dry within an hour. (then I clipped him!)

Comment

You can use a camp stove to get the water hot, to.

Comment

I make mid-50s my absolute cutoff. Usually, I usually quit around 65- my diva gelding HATES to be cold and acts like I'm killing him even in the hot weather.

I'm not obsessed with bathing my horses obviously , even in the summer they only get a water-bath 99% of the time... leaving in some oil helps give them their (natural) shiny coats.

Comment

I do legs if it's above freezing and they're scruffy but leave my horse inside if it's dry. I did manage to do her tail once this winter (a grey mare and we were going to a clinic-it had to be done) with hot water and a little creativity with the dunking like was posted above. Lucky for me where I board at school has a heated grooming area so when I was done and needed to get her tail dry I could put her in an area that had a warm breeze from the heater and it dried pretty quickly. Since I don't show during the winter (I'm in the midwest, we just try to survive the winter haha) I'm not super concerned about the rest of her body since she has a blanket and tends to be a pretty clean horse except when she's in her stall at shows of course. If I needed to bathe her in the winter I could because of our barn set up and we'd just hang out in the heated area until she was finally dry, but I haven't needed to.

Side note/tip: i was trying to figure our a way to get small batches of hot water because our barn water heater takes a long time to heat up. I grabbed my 'hot pot' from my dorm room that I had to make hot chocolate/ramen noodles etc. before I got my apartment. It is the best thing to have at the barn I swear! They are not very expensive at all and they're really fast to heat up water. I use it every day to soak her beet pulp shreds-it is so much faster to soak them with hot water. So if anyone needs a way to heat up a little water grab one of those-it's so handy to have around the barn, especially if you have an emergency injury or something to clean out!

Comment

This is what you want for heating up water with no hot water tank:

http://www.amazon.com/Marshalltown-7...4787970&sr=8-1

Works great! But I don't bathe under 65 degrees. I might spot clean with a hot towel if my horse lay down in manure in the stall (ick), but usually, I just vacuum and curry all winter.

Comment

Working...
                                      X