• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Thread is now irrelavent

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thread is now irrelavent

-
    Last edited by HannoMerci; Feb. 3, 2011, 03:39 AM. Reason: Thread is now irrelevant.

I personally don't like him for eventing. Too big and heavy. He looks very front end heavy and downhill, and a bit upright in the pasterns. At 17 + hands he is going to be a big heavy horse to control on x country, and although there is no studies that I know about, it is often said/thought that the bigger they are, the more likely they are to break down. I liked the chestnut gelding you posted about more :-) Good luck with him though! If you like his personality and movement, then go for it!

Comment

I'm no conformation expert, but he looks big and clunky to me. As chestnutwithchrome said, he looks downhill as well.

The chestnut looks a lot lighter and more balanced. He could still end up big/clunky if he gets above 17h, but he looks less likely to.

Good luck!

Comment

the chestnut is better put together though.

this horse could very well be a mess to hold together for dressage.

He's off my bigness chart and I'm 6'!
        toooooo big.
        http://kaboomeventing.com/
        http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
        Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Comment

He appears to be fairly long backed, and looks a bit pigeon toed (which in turn could make him paddle) but could just be the picture.
          I will tell you as someone who has had alot of 17.0 hand and larger horses they do have more soundness issues then a smaller horse especially when they are longer backed and heavy as he appears to be. As others have said they are also alot of work to put together for dressage. Also not to be a downer but if he goes as heavy as he looks he may not be the best choice for Preliminary or above. The courses get very technical and you need a horse that is light on it's feet and can turn and jump and get out of it's own way. I myself love the big guys but they really have to be short backed and cat like.
          Have you seen this horse in person? If not I would say go see him and see him move and if you can ride him. A horse that looks as heavy as he does is sometimes a real workout to ride. Good luck in your search...
          "A little less chit-chat a little more pitter-pat"

Comment

I am 6' tall. I once looked at a mature horse (warmblood) that was about 17.3". My dressage trainer at the time said, "no one needs a horse that big and heavy. You are asking for vet bills."

Since then I've always looked for the horse that's just big enough. My current horse is about 16.1" and I thought he would be too small until I sat on him. He's a TB but pretty wide and he rides big. I love how catty he is -- light on his feet, powerful and a hugely scopey jumper. Compared to my previous horse, a 16.2" Trakehner (who was about 1350 lbs and a bit long), he's much easier to balance.

Now, back to this horse. I think he will mature to be heavier than he is now which will likely make him harder to keep sound and harder to keep fit. Now he may be an incredible mover and very light on his feet, but if he isn't he wouldn't be my first choice for eventing up to prelim.

I liked the chestnut you had a video on better.

However, it's unclear to me whether you are seeing these horses in person or relying on photos and videos. I think you need to see them. Pics can be deceiving.

Do you have a trainer helping you evaluate your prospects? I know when I was looking at young horses it really, really helped me to have someone explain to me how they were likely to mature. I did look at a 4 year old years ago to event. Like this horse he was already pretty big. In that particular horse both my dressage instructor and my jumping trainer thought his body was going to get too heavy as compared to his legs. Their input was very helpful.

Good luck!
            Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
            EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Comment

Definitely NOT an expert, as looking at most of my horses will quickly prove to you, but...

It may be the photo angle, but this one seems to be heavier in front than in back, and I generally don't like riding big horses like that XC. Going downhill to a jump, you really want to know that picking up their front ends isn't going to be harder for them than the average horse. I don't get that feeling from this guy. Now he could compensate for that by having a stronger hind end, but there he strikes me as being a little light.. The hip angles seem a little weak to me.

So with those two things combined, I would say it would be more difficult for him to jump himself out of trouble.
              They don't call me frugal for nothing.
              Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Comment

You seem to be looking at horse types that are very different from each other, once you factor in the TBs that you expressed interest in, also.

Maybe it would help to focus your search a bit more if you decide what type of horse you like to ride best....do you prefer the push ride or the whoa ride, for example? A sensitive, reactive horse, or one that may be a bit duller to the aids but a bit more forgiving?

Everyone has a type that they prefer to one degree or another. I just can't see a rider whose strengths would match this big guy would be as equally effective rider on a light, quick OTTB.

Comment

I have no idea how he moves - perhaps he's light and nimble! We also can't tell what his personality is like - that could outweigh some conformation defects too.

But what I see of his conformation from this one pic:

Pros:
                  Nice length of rein
                  OK shoulder angle
                  Feet (at least hinds) appear nice and large.

Cons:
                  Sickle hocks - aka "curby hocks" - overangulated.
                  Downhill - if his hind feet were ont he same plane as the front ones, his bum would be higher than his withers, and his stifles higher than his elbows.
                  Are his knees bumpy or flat? Straight, or back at the knee? Tough to say - he could be calf kneed.
                  Small engine - the photo shows a horse with a massive head and a tiny bum. Could be just the photo though!
                  ----------------------------------------
                  PSSM / EPSM and Shivers Forum
                  http://pssm.xanthoria.com/

Comment

Not a huge fan. He looks very light/weak behind and heavy in front. I don't like the hind end angles either. I agree that he looks immature, but at 4 he won't change that much.

I think I prefer the chestnut, though at that age it's so hard to tell how they'll grow up.

As for others' comments, I don't think you necessarily need a "type," or if you have a type need to always stick to it. (I do have a type--I like the very rangy OTTBs, but have also had nice heavier/more compact OTTBs--well balanced, athletic horses come in various body types).

I'm a little confused by your concurrent vettings though--what would you do if both passed? Why not vet them in order of preference, so if your preferred one passes you don't have to pay for a 2nd vetting?

Comment

I agree that at 4 he won't change that much, and for sure the sickle hocks are something you're stuck with (flaw that could result in future unsoundness). His downhill build probably won't change either - on the whole too big a risk for me personally.

As I said, more pics/videos could present him very differently though!
                      PSSM / EPSM and Shivers Forum
                      http://pssm.xanthoria.com/

Comment

Just curious, how tall is the person in the picture?

There is nothing about that horse that says "eventer".
                        On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog

Comment

Hanno- Just out of curiosity who is your trainer? I am in the frozen h*ll of WI too!

Comment

I would not buy this horse as an event prospect. He has a very weak topline, long in the back, and it's swayed. He has virtually no gaskin for a horse of his size, and looks to be sickle hocked. He knees look funky and he appears to toe-in. I agree with some of the other posters, at 4, he's probably close to being what you'd get.

Make sure you evaluate the horse in front of you, don't just fall in love with the pedigree. I hunt as well as event, and I've had a number of 1/2 drafts that were more appropriately put together, and more athletic looking than this fellow.
                            Fade to Grey Farm
                            Eventing, Foxhunting & Connemaras
                            *NEW* website:www.fadetogreyfarm.com

Comment

So, I absolutely adore big horses. The "big man" in my profile is somewhere north of 17.1 (I haven't sticked him; his papers say 17.1 but I have yet to meet ANYONE who believes that). He is big. Big. Big.
                              He is also very short coupled,very uphill, and was already well into a life as a sporthorse when I bought him.
                              He is a wonderful event horse through Prelim, although not for everyone...

My "little" horse is probably 17 h now. He went through a serious growth spurt between 5 and 6, and had been sticked just under 17 at 5.
                              When I bought him coming 5 he was shaped pretty much the way he is now -- just not as "mature" but angles and ratios all the same.

I'm saying this just because I am the last person on this board to be anti-big horse...

but this horse does look downhill, long, and heavier in front than in back, and if any of those are NOT an artifact of being 4 you are in trouble.

And big horses are harder on themselves -- I would have NO tolerance for any early changes on the vetting. The seller of my young horse thought I was crazy for xraying everything but the horse had been lightly started and when they are that big, unless they have a track record, I think caution is warranted.

For what it's worth, the young horse has been incredibly sound for 3 years and the big horse has had one significant problem (unlikely due to his size) in 6 years. They CAN be great, fun, athletic eventers.

But you need to be very careful.

Good luck!
                              The big man -- my lost prince

The little brother, now my main man

Comment

I didn't see the chestnut, but the bay I would pass on. Not put together for the job you'd be asking him to do. Even if he is immature for his age his back is super long, which isn't going to change. He doesn't look very athletic. Others pointed out some of the issues with his legs.

PS - We have an 18hh trakehner, so I'm all about the big horses when they meet the right conditions.
                                Platinum Equestrian - Florida, USA

Comment

Originally posted by Platinum Equestrian View Post
                                  I didn't see the chestnut, but the bay I would pass on. Not put together for the job you'd be asking him to do. Even if he is immature for his age his back is super long, which isn't going to change. He doesn't look very athletic. Others pointed out some of the issues with his legs.

PS - We have an 18hh trakehner, so I'm all about the big horses when they meet the right conditions.
                                  Agreed. Every. single. word.

except the PS I dont have an 18 hander!

He really screams PASS to me!!!!!
                                  owner and friend of members of the Limping And Majestic Equine Society.

Comment

Just curious, but are the sellers really willing to let you vet their horses with out a deposit? Not the MO I am used to. If you vet it, you intend to buy it if the horse passes. Sounds like you are vetting a few, then deciding which one to buy.

ETA: To answer the question. Don't like this horse.

Comment

I have a 36 inch inseam and I love big horses. But you couldn't give me this one!
                                      "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
                                      ---
                                      The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Comment

I live in the Midwest and have never done it or seen it done the way you are going about it. As PP said, why would you spend the money to PP a horse unless you intend to buy it if it passes.

As a seller, I would not open my horse up to PPE's unless they were going home with someone when they passed. A PPE is not without its risks to the seller, plus the time they take while the vet is there as well as the stress on a young horse, both physical and mental.

Comment

Working...
                                        X