• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Area II - Redland Hunt PC HT? ROLLCALL!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Area II - Redland Hunt PC HT? ROLLCALL!

Thoughts on this HT?
    Particularly the Training course, but I may have friends doing the BN and N courses, so all input is appreciated!
    Last edited by Invested1; Apr. 7, 2008, 02:12 PM.
    Amwrider: May the fleas of a thousand camels infest their genitalia and may their arms be too short to scratch.

I'm interest in this as well.
    Mosmom

http://photobucket.com/albums/f45/ksox/

Comment

We will be there. My daughter's trainer said it's a good one, though I've also heard it's a "fun course" (whatever that means!). Slim pickins' for April at BN so I'm not sure there's much choice!

Comment

It's a fair course, although some of us had uncharacteristic XC stops or even Es there last year getting the Spring cob webs off. Don't take any of the jumps for granted - not that they are difficult - just keep your wits about you. It's a really well run event and great place to start the year.

Training jumps that were problematic last year:

Jump 3 - airy logs jumping down a hill. Several horses had issues.

Jump 11? - a roll top into the water. The roll top is at the bottom of a hill, on a turn around a tree...and Bam, there's this easy, but unexpected roll top jumping into water.

Maybe others can add more.
        [img=http://thumb1.webshots.net/t/34/35/6/69/41/2554669410098335381BhThdE_th.jpg]

Comment

I did this HT as a first outing of the year at training 2 years ago. The XC course was very straightforward and I remember the stadium being nowhere near max height but it was a turny course. It was a good first event of the season for me.

Comment

Has anyone ever done their BN? What's that course like? Water, Dithches, Bank...etc.?
            Mosmom

http://photobucket.com/albums/f45/ksox/

Comment

all of their courses tend to be good first times at a level
              stadium is on grass on a little bit of a hill and can be slippy and chewed up if it rains . . . and it always rains the week before or during it (kind of like it always rains for the Waredaca fall HT weekend)
              the water can cause some issues because of the approach to it and because the water itself is now aquamarine
              the year before last the new little trakhener (for training, I think novice was just a ditch but could be wrong) caused lots of problems but that was mostly rider error and/or lack of anticipating that the horses would look (did not see novice and training run last year so don;t know if it caused the same problems then)
              good first event of the season and the people who run it are great
              There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.(Churchill)

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by OneDaySoon View Post
                Training jumps that were problematic last year:

Jump 3 - airy logs jumping down a hill. Several horses had issues.
                Have you done the Rubicon T course? Is the Jump 3 you're talking about here similar to Rubicon's Jump 5? (the gargoyle jump)
                Amwrider: May the fleas of a thousand camels infest their genitalia and may their arms be too short to scratch.

Comment

Great event!

Dressage can be a bit overwhelming for a horse who hasn't been out much. It is on top of a hill overlooking everything and can cause some eye bugging in greenies.
                  Stadium is on a slight hill and tends to have tight turns and the jumps are packed together, but it is not difficult if you keep your horse balanced and deep in the corners.
                  BN XC is straightforward, but there can be several perceived bogie jumps that threaten to eat certain horses . As long as you keep going forward, it is not a difficult course. The aquamarine water with the loudly chirping frogs can be a bit disconcerting. The ditch is more of an indent in the ground- very easy. The bank last year caused a lot of problems and a few Es. The bank is sloped on one side with the other three being step ups or downs depending on which direction you are going. Last year, you had to step up one side of the bank after a semi tight turn around a tree. A number of people cut the turn too short and suprised their horses with the bank. Jump three (I think?) was also an issue. It was a nice slope made of logs (official name is escaping me) on top of a hill that caused a lot of .

Comment

Originally posted by Invested1 View Post
                    Have you done the Rubicon T course? Is the Jump 3 you're talking about here similar to Rubicon's Jump 5? (the gargoyle jump)
                    WAY easier than the Rubicon hanging log on with the downhill landing in the field with the water jump if that is the fence you mean
                    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.(Churchill)

Comment

I did BN last Spring as my first rec. HT with my guy. The up bank was pretty big, but as Cat said if you didn't cut the turn to it it rode well (even when I shoved liked crazy!). The log in the tree line that Cat mentioned caused us a stop becasue they can't really see what is on the other side until a few strides out. In hindsight if I had briskly trotted to it instead of cantering I don't think we would have had a problem. My horse at the time was not a fan of the water, but went right in even with the frogs (I think it helped that it was the first turn towards home). The ditch is small but, at the time, my horse was ditchy so we had a stop. Once he had a look he went right over. The rest was very straight forward. The BN XC was a big confidence builder for us and was a lot of fun. Stadium also rode well, a little hilly but it was on the smaller side. We will be there again this Spring at BN since the hard ground during last summer cut our season really short and June was the last time we competed.

Comment

All the courses there are great. I suffered the wrath of the Big E last year, but both horses I rode (one at novice and one at BN) were, umm, NOT wanting to play the game...EVER. Our more "experienced" novice horses thought the oxer on the hill was pretty spectacular and both had funny jumps at it. The training is fun and great for either first time at that level, or for a first cobweb clearing outing. I've ridden it on both a first timer and an experienced horse who had been out of competition for awhile. It was great for both of them. I especially like the training course as an early season/first time course because typically the training level questions are asked with novice size-ish jumps (not always), but all the galloping fences are good training size fences.

Stadium is nice with a little terrain. I often think it is on the small side, which again is nice for an early event.

I've yet to have a good test there, but that could be more because of the horses I've ridden there and not because of the atmosphere (which CAN be daunting!).
                        Amanda

Comment

Just reread Cat's post...3 and 4 were called the Roller Coaster (I think). Oxer type airy logs to down hill, up hill to 4 which was the same type of jump as 3 but a single log. It did cause problems, but my boy didn't seem to mind those.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by bambam View Post
                            WAY easier than the Rubicon hanging log on with the downhill landing in the field with the water jump if that is the fence you mean
                            Yes ma'am, that's the one!

Well, yay, sounds like it will be a good "cobweb clearing" event! And I LOFF that it's a 1-dayer!

Comment

Here's a (crappy) photo of Training Jump 3. I did not have problems at that jump, but my usually brave horse did take a look. Others had one or more stops.

http://inlinethumb35.webshots.com/41...600x600Q85.jpg

I think I know which logs you mean at Rubicon. I haven't had a problem there, just that dumb roll top into water at Redland.

Also, the BN course and N course are both very doable. My boy started his eventing career there as a 4 year old, and everything was good. Note to Self: Remember XC course and don't forget any jumps!!!
                              [img=http://thumb1.webshots.net/t/34/35/6/69/41/2554669410098335381BhThdE_th.jpg]

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by OneDaySoon View Post
                                Here's a (crappy) photo of Training Jump 3. I did not have problems at that jump, but my usually brave horse did take a look. Others had one or more stops.

http://inlinethumb35.webshots.com/41...600x600Q85.jpg
                                Looks kinda similar to this one?
                                http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/Orde...2S050021&po=21

Comment

Actually, that one looks airier than the one at Redland. The one problem with the courses there (well, besides the mud, see my next para) is that they sometimes start out easy, easy, easy, BAM -- that was the case with that Training jump -- the first two jumps were teeny and that one was a genuine training jump with terrain.

The other problem (not their fault, this one!) is that the back half of the course, where the water is, is very low lying and boggy. It can be really, really deep back there, so be prepared to trot or in general pick your way. one year they actually had to omit that back half, so no water for anyone.

Still and all, they tend to be nice first outings for the year.
                                  The big man -- my lost prince

The little brother, now my main man

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by asterix View Post
                                    Actually, that one looks airier than the one at Redland.
                                    Sweet!!!

Yah, that jump was at my 2nd Training HT and it had me *really* nervous! You can see in the next picture that I had a HUGE smile on my face as we were landing, and I actually have it on video that I YELLED, "GOOD BOY!!!!!!!"

Comment

aww you guys have me all excited.
                                      this is going to be my first recognized event with my boy.
                                      and hopefully it will be a confidence booster.

Comment

I love Redland. It is such a nice first event of the year. Really well run and friendly.

I have only ever done training there, but when I did it, the water was just a pass through and then a jump a couple of strides out on the exit. I am a little surprised that they have a rolltop into the water now, even if it is a small rolltop. Wow. Oh well, I guess I'm behind the times on what is OK to put on training courses now.

The SJ there is always a nice course. I guess the jumps are on the small side because a couple of years ago I did Loudoun the weekend after Redland and I was at the size of the jumps on the T course. I was SURE that the course I was looking at was set at P, not T. But I was wrong, LOL. So my point is that if they haven't changed the stadium into true T sized jumps, be prepared to see bigger jumps at your next HT.

Edited to say that I just remembered that I have also done Novice there ... I just completely forgot (duh)! Novice (when I did it - think that was 2005) was a great first time out for the season and fun. The "ditch" then was a little indention that my horse didn't even lift his legs to jump - just ran through it, LOL.

Something else that really stuck out at me a couple of years ago was the little trakhener that they put on the BN course (it was on BN, right? Or Novice?) I thought that was a little unusual for such an early season event at those levels and felt bad for the people who had stops and Es there.
                                        Last edited by flyingchange; Feb. 23, 2008, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X