• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

What Type of Trailer do you use?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Type of Trailer do you use?

Hi, I think something like this has been posted before...

What type of trailer do you use? Why?
    Why did you choose this particular trailer?
    Dislikes/Likes?

Whats your dream trailer?
    Is there any brand you absoulty don't like? why?

How do you feel about the steel frame/aluminum body? (this worries me)

I'm shopping, on a budget... So I'd just like some genral info.
    Also, in your opinion.....
    I'd like a 2 horse GN straight load. (I'd really like to be able to sleep in the trailer)
    but a 2 horse bumper w/ a tack room is defintly cheaper.... (but I can always stick a cot in the horse area and sleep)
    Should I go for the BP or GN?
    (keep in mind that I'm probaly going to have to take out a loan for the entire thing, either way, although intrest on the loan is just under 8%, which sounds low to me? but im not complaining)

Thoughts?
    I do have a Horse trailer, older TB style. (no tack room) Its so hard to stay organized, and I don't feel comfortble going on a longer haul with it (2+ hrs) Plus, I feel like I ask alot out of my horse, he should have the most comfortable ride possible.
    -Chelsie
    "Hell yes I can ride. I was riding when I fell off!"

What type of truck are you going to be hauling this with?
    Take Your Equestrian Business to the Next Level: http://www.mythiclanding.com/
    Follow me at http://mythiclanding.blogspot.com or http://twitter.com/mythiclanding

Comment

horse.

trailer.

Comment

Definitly go for a gooseneck, esp if you have to take out a loan regardless. They haul much better and have so much more room. No swaying to bother you driving or the horses hauling. I have a 6 horse head to head Trail-et, and a 2 horse straight load GN. I got the trailet because I had a 86 4-horse trailet that is still in great shape, and hauls so well that I had to get another trail-et! Much nicer than my 2 horse, which is an off brand. Plus, the trail-et people are really nice to deal with. I do have the aluminum on steel, and my 86 was that as well....never a problem!
        I guess I have my dream trailer, except I would love to have a rear ramp, which I don't have, but I unload from the side anyway, so no backing off a drop, which I HATE. Good luck...I think there have been lots of good reviews about the Trail-et's on COTH before.

Christan
        www.trainoreventing.com

Comment

We have an older logan coach stock trailer bumper pull. It is big enough for 2 huge horses, or 3 regular sized ones. We have also fit a mare and foal in it very comfortably with another smaller horse. It has a divider which helps when a horse needs to be separated from the rest. It is a step up, but pretty much even the hard to load horses get right in it without much coaxing. The trailer also has a tack room/dressing room. It is somewhat heavy since it is steel, and I wish it was a goosneck. We pull it with a 1 ton dually no problemBut it get the job done and works for our horses.
          I wish we had a gooseneck 3horse with living quarters! Hubby just laughs it off??!?!?
          Make sure your truck is big enough to haul whatever trailer you decide to get. My not so bright friend pulled her super heavy steel 3-horse stock with her F 150 and when she was going down the altamont pass in CA (huge decline), the trailer pushed her off into the ditch! Needless to say her hubby was not happy with the towing bill. Thank god there were no horses inside.
          Also, on a side note, the USRider horse hauling Insurance works great!! It's like triple a for when you are towing your horses. We had it and used it and they totally take care of you and the horses you may be hauling if you ever get in trouble on the road.
          Good Luck! Hope you find the trailer of your dreams.
          Gilchrist said. "With Lost In The Fog, it's different. We want to take real good care of this horse. He's the only bullet in our holster."

Comment

Sundowner 2 horse straight load. Gooseneck w/a dressing room. Much bigger than I need, but really really comes in handy when you're hauling someone else and when you're at shows. I wouldn't change anything about it. :-)
            "Personally speaking, if for whatever reason I was stuck with absolutely only having to chose one breed, then it would without hesitation be a thoroughbred."

Comment

1999 3 horse slant Trail-et. I LOVE this trailer, and I'm so upset, but it's time to get a new one. We consistently haul 4-6 horses to horse shows and HTs and now I'm on the look out for a 6 horse head to head. Mine has an extra large tack room, is extra tall, extra wide. It is the best trailer I've ever owned. If I can swing keeping it, and buying a new one, I will, that's how much I love this trailer. Mine has two back doors, plus the ramp. I'll be looking for another Trail-et for the 6 horse. There is nothing I'd change on my 3 horse slant, other then I just outgrew it.

Completely agree with those who said goose neck, they are so much easier to haul and back up.
              WestWind Farms
              Love means attention, which means looking after the things we love. We call this stable management.
              - George H. Morris

Comment

3 horse Equispirit safeload....LOVE IT...just got it in December....looked at the sundownder and then the Equispirit, it was night and day....lots of steel where it maters, total protection for the horses...and the service was outstanding!!!!
                RIP My Beautiful Kevin
                2003-2009
                RIP Sweet Ella
                2009-2011

Comment

My dream trailer just came 2 weeks ago! I customed ordered it so it took a couple months. I have a 4 horse slant load Featherlite with a 10' LQ. I opted for not getting the ramp this time as I need to keep my weight as low as possible. I got mangers this time around with the solid rear tack, but there is so much room the horses can still back up to put their heads down. I put a stud gate on my first stall always just so I can use it to haul crap and not worry about it shifting under the horses. I already took it to 1 quick overnight and I must say heat is a lovely thing, so it a toilet at 3am in the middle of nowhere. No having to go outside to freeze my patooty off while I tinkled. Having said that this is my first LQ, previously I had a 4 horse slant with dressing room. You can sleep in there, but when its hot its hot, and when its cold you freeze. Really just depends on how comfortable you want to be while traveling.

Like everyone else said goosenecks are better all the way around, plus then you can put a queen size matress in the gooseneck and sleep there and not have it in the way.

Comment

Definitely go gooseneck, although bumper pulls aren't that bad like a lot of people will say they are.

I love Hawks.

I will never put my horse on a Sundowner.

Don't go w/ full aluminum if possible, I like steel, but steel frame w/ aluminum are nice. Go with steel provided you have the truck to pull it [f250 superduty or dode/chevy/gmc 2500 heavyduty is probably what you will need, try to go with diesel].

I saw "Lakota" trailers at one show, seemed very nice.
                    http://community.webshots.com/user/CloverExpress08/

Comment

I have a pretty "standard" Sundowner 2H bumper pull with dressing room . . . probably the same trailer as at least 50% of the people I see at horse shows!

I like it just fine. One hinge on the tack room door breaks like CLOCKWORK every 18 months. I mean it's FREAKY--it broke (4th time) 2 weeks ago, right on schedule. Last one was--yep--18 months ago. Annoying, but they fix it for free so not a big deal. Otherwise it's just fine for what I need.

Dream trailer would be one of those 2+1 straight loads with the option of making the front section a box stall or storage space, with a walkout door there. I like having a direct escape route for each horse, therefore most slants are not my favorite (also they're too darn small, IMO). But I'm happy with the 2-horse for now, it's all I really need and is holding up great going on (I think) 8 years old. I traded my old Brenderup for it--loved the B'up but it wasn't roomy enough WRT tack storage.

My husband travels a LOT so we have eighteen gozillion hotel points, therefore sleeping on the grounds in a trailer has NO charm for me when I can get a free hotel room with a good shower and internet access!

What kind of truck do you have? We have a short bed non-dually F350, not ideal for a gooseneck although it's do-able. Best part about our truck is it's PAID FOR.
                      Click here before you buy.

Comment

We just picked up a brand new Kiefer Built 2+1 gooseneck. We shopped for a really long time, and this is exactly what we wanted. We pull it with a GM 3/4 ton 4-wheel drive, with a honkin' big engine. Not diesel though Ouch!!

We wanted a gooseneck because we thought it would be better for the long hauls (Canada to Florida) that we are making. We also wanted the 2+1 because we plan to sleep in dressing room/gooseneck and my hubby is severely allergic to hay. The front stall in the 2+1 will be our new tack room, hay, shavings, boxes, and other stuff area. It also allows for horses that don't like to back off the trailer, to walk through. Not a problem with a current horse, but who knows.

Comment

I have a 2000 Sundowner Sierra 4-horse slant gooseneck with an 8 or 10' LQ (I can never remember which). It has the CD player, range, microwave, fridge, shower, propane heat, extra wide 102", storage under the mangers (which is awesome), etc. Why do I have that one? DH likes his toys.....!!

Seriously though I have never had any problems with the trailer and I haul regularly 2-6 hours to lessons and events over the last 8 yrs, frequently with a full load. It is aluminum on steel.

I would love to someday have a head-to-head 6 horse with a side ramp, but this works for me.

Jennifer
                          Third Charm Event Team

Comment

I have a 2006 Hawk 2+1 with a dressing room. Love the trailer, well made, excellent layout. Can haul 3 horses, or have extra space for hay, buckets, and pitchfork without using the dressing room for "dirty" stuff. Have a Wal-Mart porta potty stuck in the dressing room, takes care of emergencies . We've slept in the gooseneck (well, me and the kids, husband slept in the front horse compartment).

If I was just getting a 2 horse I don't know that I could justify the extra $$ for a gooseneck, but I wanted to be able to haul 3. I'm very happy with what I ended up with!
                            www.hollyrunstables.com

Comment

We recently bought an Adam Ju-LiteWB 2h BP with a rear and side ramp and a small tack room. I liked what I read about Adam (great deal for the money -less than alot of comp trailers) and the steel/aluminum hybrid. So far, I'm real happy with it and our decision of what to buy.
                              Epona Farm
                              Irish Draughts and Irish Draught Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by hookedoneventing View Post
                                3 horse Equispirit safeload....LOVE IT...just got it in December....looked at the sundownder and then the Equispirit, it was night and day....lots of steel where it maters, total protection for the horses...and the service was outstanding!!!!
                                My dream trailer is 30 days away from delivery - an Equispirit Safeload 3 horse with LQ. This will be our second Equispirit 3 horse and I simply will not haul in anything else ever again. We spend a tremendous amount of time on the road between eventing and polocrosse and the horses travel very very well in our Equispirit.

I hate slant loads. I don't think horses haul as well in them and I would hate to ever find a horse in the middle in trouble. Aluminum butt bars and chest bars scare me. I like the steel frame that Equispirit provides. I can't say enough great things about them. Two very enthusiastic thumbs up.
                                www.amiddle-agedmadwomantakesthereins.blogspot.com

www.pegasusridge.com

Comment

Ishi....trail-et does not make a 6 horse head to head!!! I just bought a used one, but when I called Trail-et to find out a fair price on it, the manufacterer told me that mine was a custom order, and that they not longer will do the 6 horse head to head custom order! Needless to say they told me to buy it quick, and I did!! I love it!
                                  It is a convertable 2 or 3 across, or 2 big box stalls, side ramps, and the wheel wells are not in the rear horses stalls, but in front...it is 34 feet long. I love the extra room in the middle due to it being longer for the wheel wells to not be in the rear stalls! Maybe you could call trail-et and sweet talk them!

Christan
                                  www.trainoreventing.com

Comment

Currently own a Kingston 2 horse straight load BP with ramp...I LOVE IT. HUGE bus windows in front of the horses that open, full height escape doors on both sides, loads of head room in front of the breast bar. Easy trailer in every way and very well made...stainless steel hinges, etc. I got it used but I believe these trailers are under $10,000 new. It is not fancy but it is a great value for money and has all of my minimum requirements - big enough (mine is extra tall, extra wide), lots of ventilation, easy access to horses, well engineered (the back doors sound like a German made car door when you close them ). I traded down from a bigger/fancier trailer and I have never regretted it.

The trailer I replaced was a Sundowner 3H slant with dressing room (also BP) and I HATED IT. It hauled ok but it was a piece of crap...I must have replaced 6 or more hinges on drop down windows, in addition to hinges on the dressing room door and the hold backs for the back doors, the latches on the drop down windows would fly open for no apparent reason, the dressing room leaked and they could never seem to fix it, the aluminum bars across the windows would break at their welds regularly leaving sharp edges everywhere, the big hinge on one of the back doors cracked and had to be replaced. I wouldn't own another Sundowner if someone gave one to me.
                                    Last edited by Waterwitch; Feb. 21, 2008, 07:04 PM.
                                    Liz
                                    Ainninn House Stud
                                    Irish Draughts and Connemaras
                                    Co. Westmeath, Ireland

Comment

Oh crap eventrider, I didn't know they didn't make a 6 horse! I swear I've seen them, so they were all custom orders? I am so jealous you got one! I'm not opposed to another brand, BUT I just love my 3 horse by them, so I was hoping to get a 6 horse. Yours sounds just like what I've been looking for! Congrats on your trailer!!!
                                      WestWind Farms
                                      Love means attention, which means looking after the things we love. We call this stable management.
                                      - George H. Morris

Comment

Originally posted by horsetales View Post
                                        We recently bought an Adam Ju-LiteWB 2h BP with a rear and side ramp and a small tack room. I liked what I read about Adam (great deal for the money -less than alot of comp trailers) and the steel/aluminum hybrid. So far, I'm real happy with it and our decision of what to buy.

I have an Adam GN with a dressing room. It pulls very well. It has a ton of extra space up front so I can haul three (and have hauled three) or make two box stalls or just have two in the straight load with extra storage space. It was a very affordable trailer and is very easy to work out of at events. I've been happy with it.

I've had a Equispirit BP and it was a lovely trailer....But I like the set up on this Adam better then the 3 horse for Equispirt and it was substantially more affordable. My dream trailer would be an Equispirt 4H head to head...saving up for one in couple of years.
                                        ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Comment

Working...
                                        X