• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Would you buy a horse that had colic surgery?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you buy a horse that had colic surgery?

I did not want to put this on the Jinges thread for Henny out of disrespect NOR do I want to start a train wreck but I have been wondering how colic surgery might effect the future sale of a horse. I was wondering what implications this might have even for a potential buyer to further be able to insure a horse that has had surgery. Would you purchase a horse that had colic surgery? Thoughts.? Would your opinion change if it were a top competition horse? Would this decrease his value?

It wouldn't bug me one bit, if the horse didn't have a history of colic. Every once in a while that stupid "perfect storm" brews and there is nothing you can do. From what I hear the weather has been interesting over where Henny is. Now if the horse had a history of colic, I wouldn't touch them, just too much risk involved. Also I probably wouldn't buy something that had just had the colic surgery within the past year. That is how long my insurance company keeps the colic exclusion, and if they were going to really have issues I would think you would see the signs within the first year afterwards.

Comment

I would be cautious either way, but it would also depend on the history and if I could find out the history.

If something crazy happened in the horse's life (sudden move, radical change in feed, etc.) and the horse coliced, requiring surgery then I would be more willing to take the horse on than if he had a history of colic.

I would also be more cautious if I had trouble finding out the history of the horse, especially if the owner claimed owning the horse for several years but was not forthcoming in providing history.

Comment

I bought a horse that had had colic surgery, it had been several years before I bought him and he had the best possible type of surgery where they just opened him up and closed him up without taking anything out (had my vet look at the discharge papers that specified everything). I would say be cautious, he has colicked once in the years I've owned him and that was due to coastal hay we believe (which has a reputation of making horses colic, even if they've been on it consistently). It just depends on the specific situation in my opinion, even though he's colicked I wouldn't trade him for the world.
        T
        Come to the Dark Side, We Have Cross Country

http://ridingonthedarkside.blogspot.com/

Comment

Agreed with the others that it depends upon the type of colic surgery and whether or not the horse has gone without additional colic episodes or surgery complications since.

My mare was on stall rest due to a leg injury and surgery, and at month 3, she colicked badly. It didn't resolve with fluids and tubing, so she went to surgery. Yep - 2 surgeries in 3 months, lucky me. She had an enterolith (stone) blockage the size of a softball in her small colon.

The vet brought it out to show to me, offered to let me have it (no thanks, probably too weird of a paperweight to take to work).

She healed up like a champ, and she has (knock on wood) never had any complications from the surgery or additional colic episodes in the nearly 5 years since.

All that said, if I were buying and came across one with a verified history like hers, I wouldn't worry about it. If I came across one with a surgery and a history of additional bouts, I would be probably put off.

Comment

Nope.
            We're spending our money on horses and bourbon. The rest we're just wasting.
            www.dleestudio.com

Comment

It would depend on circumstances, with no absolute yes or no answer. But it is unlikely I would. Of course, I also want my future horses to be babies/greenies, so that affects my opinion on it. For hypothetical future kids with established medical history behind the horse and perfect for kid, I would be far more likely to be willing to, but with the financial considerations of whether or not I could insure the horse for colic surgery or how much I would want to have saved up in case it were necessary.
              Originally posted by Silverbridge
              If you get anything on your Facebook feed about who is going to the Olympics in 2012 or guessing the outcome of Bush v Gore please start threads about those, too.

Comment

I wouldn't really consider it a red flag. I know at least 2 *** horses who have had colic surgery and it didn't effect them one bit. I, personally, bought my aging I/A horse after he had had colic surgery as a 7 yo. He's never been effected by it, and i wouldn't be bothered--provided the vet says the horse should return to competition--one bit.

Comment

Didn't Winsome Adante have colic surgery before his last two Rolex wins, the Aachen WEG, and the Olympics? Might have been in 2002 or 2003.
                  "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
                  Thread killer Extraordinaire

Comment

I would not do it again.

I bought a horse that went through colic surgery before I bought him. Torsion colic.

I had him 6 years then he coliced 3 months in a row, the last month landed us at NCSU vet school, in surgery they discovered he had adhesions from the first surgery. Everyone was surprised he lasted as long as he did.

Comment

I think it's hard to say. There would be people for whom it would't be a red flag at all and there would be people for whom it would be an absolute dealbreaker. A girl at my barn spent a fair amount of money on a fancy dresage horse in its early teens. It colicked the week after it arrived and had to have surgery. The horse is fine now. The first comment out of a lot of people's mouths (not in her presence of course) was about the decrease in the horse's value.

Comment

I bought a grey gelding in 1997 that had had colic surgery. He was 10 at surgery, 14 when I bought him and he is still trotting around in a field at 28 (almost 29). There was no resection and he has not had an episode of colic in the 14 years I have owned him. He also cribs, has a heart murmur, melanomas and at this point has lost all his teeth. He is one poor medical specimin that is as happy as can be, as long as he gets his whole grain soup twice a day.

That said, my answer would be "depends", some excellent responses above.

Comment

• Original Poster

NC rider,

That is what I was thinking/wondering about the horses value afterwards. I would think it would go down but was not sure what other people thought.

Comment

If the colic surgery was at least a couple of years ago, the horse had recovered without ongoing issues and was currently competing at the level it was priced for then I don't see why the surgery would impact the price or the decision to buy.

If the horse had ongoing issues I wouldn't buy it.

All of the horses I've known (friend's horses, other boarders where I used to board) who've gone through colic surgery either were fine afterward and had long healthy lives or started having problems again within less than a year and ended up either getting put down or not making it through the second surgery. So if it had been at least a couple of years since the surgery I wouldn't be concerned, personally.

Comment

The horse I bought; his value was cut a bit more than half after the first colic surgery.

Comment

From an insurance/underwriting standpoint, you are not required to reduce a horse's insured value if it has colic surgery. The reasoning is that most horses can return to the previous workload after they recover.

Most companies will give a lifetime colic exclusion if the horse had a resection during surgery, otherwise the exclusion can come off one year from the surgery date if there are no further episodes.
                                No Trouble
                                2/2/05 - 7/29/13
                                Rest In Peace my quirky brave boy, I will love you forever.

Comment

If it was an isolated episode (no hx of colic beforehand and no problems after; I'd want it to have been at least 2-3 years since the surgery, though), it wouldn't bother me.

I wouldn't think it would necessarily reduce the value of the horse, but it might reduce the number of people willing to look at him/her, if that makes sense. So while a horse might have been worth $10,000 and had 10 people out there willing to pay that before surgery, you could still get $10,000 but now there are only 5 people - so the marketing process might take longer. (Or you could reduce the price, of course - I just don't think you'd HAVE to in order to sell.)
                                  Proud member of the EDRF

Comment

It doesnt bother me if the horse does not have a history of colicing besides the initial colic/surgery and if they healed up fine.
                                    I bought the mare I have now knowing that she had coliced as a yearling and underwent surgery. She has never coliced except that once (they still dont know why she did, possibly worms). The vet did a very good job, you cant even feel the scar. I just make sure to keep her on a good worming schedule (just like my other horses) and she is on tractgaurd 1/day
                                    Last edited by eventingismylife; Dec. 15, 2010, 08:05 PM.
                                    Eventingismylife
                                    http://www.jumpingthebigsky.wordpress.com

Comment

Only at a very reduced price.
                                      Free bar.ka and tidy rabbit.

Comment

No because no matter what anyone says, try to sell one!!!

If it was a Forver Heart horse, possibly after many vets Looked at surgery report and post surggical history.

Comment

Working...
                                        X