• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

very sad and shocking

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What snoopy said.

Especially the part about people from the north.

Comment

• Original Poster

I personally rarely venture north of watford, but before I get dumped on:
      I have a great fondness for The North...after all half of my earnings go there to support teenage mothers and benefit cheats.

Comment

Psssch, better to be from the North than a Southern Fairy
        Back on topic, what an awful thing to happen! Poor horse I hope all that dashing of Olympic dreams rubbish is journalistic license, surely the rider must be distraught.
        The horse has a British Dressage record aswell, but was competing at Elementary so not really on track for London, but they love to include "2012 hopeful" or "friend of Zara" in a story

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by nomeolvides View Post
          Psssch, better to be from the North than a Southern Fairy
          Back on topic, what an awful thing to happen! Poor horse I hope all that dashing of Olympic dreams rubbish is journalistic license, surely the rider must be distraught.
          The horse has a British Dressage record aswell, but was competing at Elementary so not really on track for London, but they love to include "2012 hopeful" or "friend of Zara" in a story

I love you for seeing the pisstake.
          Southern Fairy indeed....

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy View Post
            I personally rarely venture north of watford, but before I get dumped on:
            I have a great fondness for The North...after all half of my earnings go there to support teenage mothers and benefit cheats.
            Hold the phone. . . I have to go get my wine
            RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

Comment

No, very serious! Having lived in both countries I can assure you of that. I am talking about horse related incidents. I never had to lock my tack, trailer, mark my rugs, my horse, worry about rugs being nicked from their backs, christ people are even stealing hay now. I can whole heartedly say, that if you stand still long enough in the UK someone would steal the fillings from your teeth. You are from the North, so you should be used to that.

As far as rented fields and people not living on site...it is far more common in the UK then in the US. I hardly see horses left unattended in fields on the side of motorways and A roads in the US. It is quite common to have yards that have no living accomodations.

So there...
              What nonsense! So there....

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas_1 View Post
                What nonsense! So there....
                You keep saying what nonsense etc yet you cannot back up what you say with facts? *sorry if I am reading this wrong and you are joking/being sarcastic*.

Personally, I have to agree with snoopy on this one. Having lived in both countries, I think it is far more common in the UK for people to rent fields and leave the horses unsupervised most of the day. In the US, DIY is uncommon in general & most boarding stables have someone on the premises at least in my experience. When I spent a summer in Yorkshire I knew a number of people who kept their horses in rented fields. Not saying there is anything wrong with this as long as the horses are cared for/checked up on regularly, just that it's a different way of doing things, and as JER says you can see why it would be more likely to lead to crime.
                "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
                "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Event4Life View Post
                  You keep saying what nonsense etc yet you cannot back up what you say with facts? *sorry if I am reading this wrong and you are joking/being sarcastic*.

Personally, I have to agree with snoopy on this one. Having lived in both countries, I think it is far more common in the UK for people to rent fields and leave the horses unsupervised most of the day. In the US, DIY is uncommon in general & most boarding stables have someone on the premises at least in my experience. When I spent a summer in Yorkshire I knew a number of people who kept their horses in rented fields. Not saying there is anything wrong with this as long as the horses are cared for/checked up on regularly, just that it's a different way of doing things, and as JER says you can see why it would be more likely to lead to crime.

agreed!!!! It is just a different cuture and anything left unsupervised for great lengths of time is at risk.

That is not to say that some pissing smart yards with all the security measures in place are not targeted, quite the contrary as if someone is going to chance their luck (tack and equipment) then that is the place to do it.

You read over and over of thoudands of pounds of tack was knicked from a secured, locked, alarmed tack room, trailers being stolen, etc.
                  I have yet to see a wheel lock or ball lock on a trailer in the US.

I am not saying that this is purely a UK thing but in my experience it is definitely more common.

Comment

[QUOTE=snoopy;5105070]No, very serious! Having lived in both countries I can assure you of that. I am talking about horse related incidents. I never had to lock my tack, trailer, mark my rugs, my horse, worry about rugs being nicked from their backs, christ people are even stealing hay now. I can whole heartedly say, that if you stand still long enough in the UK someone would steal the fillings from your teeth. You are from the North, so you should be used to that.

in answer- thieves nick general law biding horse and ponies owners dont

As far as rented fields and people not living on site...it is far more common in the UK then in the US. I hardly see horses left unattended in fields on the side of motorways and A roads in the US. It is quite common to have yards that have no living accomodations.

So there..

as iam one of many of the horse owner crowd that does rent field doesnt mean to say the horses and poniesare not looked at on daily basis becuase rest assured they are looked more times than you think

horses and pony owner that have grass kept horses often have an arrangement with fellow field mates to do neds alturnately this in lcudes hay rotas for winter etc or rotating fields have grown up in diffrent envrioments of both field kept, and lvieries yards to include full and assited plus
                    the majority of horse /pony owners redn from stable yards that offer box and grazzing as well as grass kept -

under each one there are rules to adherd to many livery yards are in fact bhs registered so follow the protocol of the bhs riding centres rules and regulartions etc those that dont often use the bhs rules a guide to which they run the yard to

those are the majority of joe bloggs horse owners

the others are one that have full livery, assisted livery, part livery and working lviery
                    are associated with private yards, riding schools and show centres etc
                    we are very fortunate to have a vary degree of livery types and those types of which equal to our pocket costs of comfort

in answer to the neddies on the road sides

that isnt every day joe bloggs horse or pony owner

more likely to be that of a gypsie. piky, traveller or rouge
                    or
                    thief

Comment

• Original Poster

[QUOTE=goeslikestink;5105886]
                      No, very serious! Having lived in both countries I can assure you of that. I am talking about horse related incidents. I never had to lock my tack, trailer, mark my rugs, my horse, worry about rugs being nicked from their backs, christ people are even stealing hay now. I can whole heartedly say, that if you stand still long enough in the UK someone would steal the fillings from your teeth. You are from the North, so you should be used to that.

in answer- thieves nick general law biding horse and ponies owners dont

So there..

as iam one of many of the horse owner crowd that does rent field doesnt mean to say the horses and poniesare not looked at on daily basis becuase rest assured they are looked more times than you think

horses and pony owner that have grass kept horses often have an arrangement with fellow field mates to do neds alturnately this in lcudes hay rotas for winter etc or rotating fields have grown up in diffrent envrioments of both field kept, and lvieries yards to include full and assited plus
                      the majority of horse /pony owners redn from stable yards that offer box and grazzing as well as grass kept -

under each one there are rules to adherd to many livery yards are in fact bhs registered so follow the protocol of the bhs riding centres rules and regulartions etc those that dont often use the bhs rules a guide to which they run the yard to

those are the majority of joe bloggs horse owners

the others are one that have full livery, assisted livery, part livery and working lviery
                      are associated with private yards, riding schools and show centres etc
                      we are very fortunate to have a vary degree of livery types and those types of which equal to our pocket costs of comfort

in answer to the neddies on the road sides

that isnt every day joe bloggs horse or pony owner

more likely to be that of a gypsie. piky, traveller or rouge
                      or
                      thief

Nobody is debating the merits of field kept horses or grass livery and I am well aware of the arrangements many have when horses are kept in this manner or on a DIY basis.

But what I am saying is that it is eaiser for those folk who dabble in horse related theft to target those types of operations for rugs and such.

I know many kept in this manner and often these horses look better then my own!!!

Comment

GLS - reread my post, I actually specifically said just because horses are kept in rented fields does not mean they are lacking in care...just that they are more likely to be targets for thieves as thieves will know there is not someone there 24/7, and probably no security system barring the obvious locked gates that you see a lot in the UK.

Not saying it doesn't happen in the US too... but it also helps that in general everything is more spread out in the US. Makes it harder to get places especially if they are down miles of backroads, which 3 of the 4 stables I have boarded at in the states have been. Whereas in the UK horses are more likely to be boarded next to motorways, closer to cities (read: more crime) etc.
                        "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
                        "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Comment

I always thought the US was the crime-riddled gathering place of misfits, miscreants and naughty minxes. You know, "the floor sweepings of Europe" etc. (or is that Australia?) Frankly, in a lot of places in the US I would be terrified to break into a rural barn, I am completely ill equipped to outrun a bullet. A tragic and heartbreaking story nonetheless.

Comment

Originally posted by riderboy View Post
                            Frankly, in a lot of places in the US I would be terrified to break into a rural barn, I am completely ill equipped to outrun a bullet.
                            Also not as big a worry in the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by JER View Post
                              Also not as big a worry in the UK.
                              you have a much larger country than ours

so in comparison we are tiny , but have loads of neddies lol

thivies nearly always attack in the winter months as it dark and cant be seen so easily likewise in summer its early hours

generally when one yards been hit - then the locals of that area past it on via mouth most are watchful as its deemed here, where i am so many horses and loads of yards within easy reach of each other, over three thousands acres of farmlands
                              so one word wil hit the other yards then people within that yard set up more suvalaince not that some yards dont have enough as if a thief want to get in it will regardless of whatever

but there are tactic one can apply when horses are on there own for whatever reason
                              post code your rugs with waterproof paint dont have too do your door no just the post code
                              same like wise have all tack identiy marked not only for yards but also at shows
                              and dont leave your tack up the if you dont have to

dont have names on stables doors gives the thief an oppotunity tocall your horse over and nick it

dont have univited guest on to the yard and dont have all your stuff on display

most yards have cctv or padlocks or some means of security system some also have watch you horsse at night from home

some have other ways to prevent the thief but some dont
                              not freeze branding or micro chipping or no passport makes easy targets
                              not attending you yard on a daily basis at least twice makes an easy target

feed treats to horses makes an easy target
                              bet you didnt think of that one did you----- but it does all one has to do if offer a treat and then they have your horse

hence why mine dont get treats its not for the genral rule of sweet tip of making horse kick and fight or lunging over the door or nipping the hand or encouraging bad behaviours and rewarding them as such

its about making it harder for the theif to nick your horse

as horses that are not fed tip bits over the fenceline or in the feild or at the gate are less likely to be your chummy mate when you go in there as horses tend to revert back to herd instincts which if you know horses are herd animals then this can work to your advantage

of oik dont know you so not being cuaght turns on his heels and bolts off

and youre horse and rugs are saved

everywhere has a % of horse thives and tack robbers and a country that your size and says it doesnt - doubt that very much but like i said you properties are vast and open so morely can see the thief on exit and entry or on the run

i have been hit twice in 34years and it wasnt my stuuf they was after but the stuff in the lorry park above my fields my yard was a decoy and thing was sotloen just messy as i dont keep anything other than indoor and our door rugs and halters up the yard obviously feed and what nots there
                              as for hay straw never been touched

but ther hardly likely to nick a round bale haha

and its know that what time of the year thives are more likely to attack
                              so ayrds a re more aware a nd often the thhives are cuaght as some manage to get the guys no or vechile detials
                              and auctions now have plenty of secuirty and regulations so getting harder for the theif to seel his wares
                              but if one mirc o chips and id there stuff then its deterrant so lesslikely to go for it as for trialer and horse boxes and the big stuff
                              again mark it on the roof and then on areas with the box at places that are less likely to belooked at with a colored paint or metal id taps which goes in to the metal via letters and no and cannot be removed

most horseowner know who the theives are within there area but proving it is harder so you make it harder for them not to take your stuff

Comment

From the description of the wound, my money is still on an accident, even though they didn't find any bloodied branch, etc.

Reminds me of a necropsy I was involved in where the owner was certain the "Mafia" had killed his dog as a warning. Turned out he was hit by a UPS truck...
                                "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Comment

When I boarded my horses in Darkest Surrey, we got to the point where we painted their freezebrand #s in housepaint on their blankets in letters a foot high so that they would get stolen off the horses' backs in the field.

We had locked tack rooms and a large doberman wandering the premises, and we still got hit by tack thieves.

I think the problem is that it's so easy to load everything onto a boat and be on the European mainland and out of reach of the police in such a short space of time--especially in the Home Counties.

And that's why all our horses were freezebranded--there was some chance they might not end up on a dinner table if they got stolen.

Comment

If you read various reports of the incident, they all say that there was no evidence that the horse had been attacked. It appears the heartbroken owner is using this incident to further her ambitions. It's hard to believe that somebody with this record can qualify for the 2012 Olympics.
                                    Don't forget the Telegraph crosswords.
                                    Last edited by Equibrit; Sep. 19, 2010, 10:14 AM.
                                    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Comment

Originally posted by Equibrit View Post
                                      If you read various reports of the incident, they all say that there was no evidence that the horse had been attacked. It appears the heartbroken owner is using this incident to further her ambitions. It's hard to believe that somebody with this record can qualify for the 2012 Olympics.
                                      Don't forget the Telegraph crosswords.
                                      your so funny equibrit haha sounds like a way to hopefully get regonised haha
                                      i wonder if thats the crossword puzzle with the telegraph find the anigram haha

Comment

Originally posted by Equibrit View Post
                                        It's hard to believe that somebody with this record can qualify for the 2012 Olympics.
                                        Wow.
                                        Proud member of the EDRF

Comment

She's probably going for sympathy sponsorship !
                                          Website is somewhat unrealistic; http://www.foldsfarmandstud.co.uk/portfolio
                                          /charlotte_springall_portfolio.pdf

The horse does have a dressage record - but at elementary in 2010; http://www.britishdressage.co.uk/res...e_record/23567
                                          Last edited by Equibrit; Sep. 19, 2010, 06:09 PM.
                                          ... _. ._ .._. .._

Comment

Working...
                                          X