• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Rider Fitness Accountability Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rider Fitness Accountability Thread

The Hagyard Midsouth T3D is 5 weeks away-- and I need to get fitter. I am thinking I will do workouts 5 days/ week.
    This thread has two purposes:
    1) Would anyone familiar with the level of fitness needed for a T3D care to comment on that, and maybe suggest some workouts? How do I know if I'm fit enough?
    2) I invite those of us who are working on our fitness (hi FLeckenAwesome!) to keep in touch here about whether we have done our scheduled workouts. Post here when you do it, and other folks on the thread will cheer for you and help you keep up the momentum!

The list of participating COTHers is on post #119 (page 6)
    Last edited by CookiePony; Sep. 20, 2010, 09:28 PM.
    SportHorseRiders.com
    Taco Blog
    *T3DE 2010 Pact*

What I did...

I've done 2 T3Ds, one at 17 and one at 23 years old.

For the first one, I was working out 2x a week for 2 hours. This included running (20 mins), and strength. I also was riding 2 horses 5 days a week. (Gotta love high school!!)

For the second one, I was working at a job were I walked (literally) 13 miles every day I worked. I was working maybe 2 days a week. As well as riding 1 horse 5 days a week. (yay undergrad!)

I don't remember my fitness level for the first T3D I did... but for last year's I was GREAT until the 4th to last fence on D, then I could feel it in my back. I was happy with that! (And I'll add that we had a major fall (fell in a hole) during our steeple chase school the previous day...)

If I did it over again, I would work more on my core. That's where I was feeling fatigued.

Good luck and have fun, it's a wonderful experience!

**GO TACO!**
    Yes, I ride a pony. No, he would not be ideal for your child. No, he is not a re-sale project...

Comment

I suggest having your SO also read and reflect on any suggestions given on this thread. Happen to know that the cardiovascular fitness required for competitive rowing, PARTICULARLY when one is on the OLYMPIC rowing squad is beyond all others, including marathoners...

I've stuck with my cycling even though I'm running 5-6 days a week again - any ol' road bike will do and wind trainers aren't expensive. Set it up in front of the tv or computer and 30 minutes goes by really quickly. The great thing about having the bike on a stand is that you never stop for traffic or traffic lights...and the time of day or weather doesn't matter (but it would be more fun out at Susan's!)

That being said, see if you can do trot sets on some of Amy's or Lauren's horses on weekends or even during the week as your teaching schedule allows. Nothing is going to increase riding fitness more than riding...and you know I run for fitness (and pizza + ice cream ) xoxoxoxo
      Last edited by RunForIt; Sep. 14, 2010, 08:10 PM.
      ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan

Comment

Stace, when you say "workout" what's that specifically for you? Do you want to get stronger? or improve cardio?

How much of Taco's fitness routine at the trot and canter are you doing in 2-point? For me this was a big deal when working toward a 3D. I was also doing about 100+/- crunches a day which is pretty vital for my back. Cardio is always the challenge for me. Knees don't run, but biking is good. The gap time when I'm not riding I can bike 1k a year, but it's hard to juggle the time to bike AND ride.

I've got a big clinic the week of the T3D I'm trying to get more fit for as well...if you want to bike let me know. I've got some great routes that loop around my place if you want to come out (on the way to Amy's even.) I could probably put you on one of the DDs' bike's too.

Comment

As a good reference from the current state of the science of fitness, start here: Can You Get Fit in Six Minutes a Week?

The Tabata Protocol -- eight cycles of 20-sec of all-out exertion followed by 10-sec of rest (4 min total) -- works. Since the first paper by Dr. Izumi Tabata in 1996, this high-intensity interval system has been confirmed and re-confirmed as an optimal way to increase both aerobic and anaerobic fitness.

(Anaerobic fitness is what you need when things get tough. If you're worried about the last couple of fences on steeplechase, this is what you need.)

The beauty of Tabatas is you can do anything -- run, tread water, bike, jump rope -- so long as you go all-out for your 20 sec.

Is it fun? Not if you do it right. But you could do worse for four minutes.

With five weeks to go, I wouldn't pick something too different from what you're doing already. No point in using all new muscles and getting sore. Biking (the machine kind) is usually the best way to start, especially as it gets your HR up. Concept 2 rowing machine are also good for this.

Also, you don't really need to do 5x week. 3 days would be enough if you're doing intervals.

As for shortcuts, there's evidence that echinacea and l-arginine could help increase your endurance. Echinacea has the effect of increasing the amount of oxygen in your blood (IIRC, you take it for 10 days - 2 weeks and then off for a week, but I'd check on that). L-arginine, as described here, reduces the 'oxygen cost of exercise.'

Good luck.

Comment

What do you do now??
            What do you think you are lacking and or need most?

Five conditioning days out of seven with what I would guess is Seven days of on horse conditioning a week may be a bit much and if not planned could negatively affect your physical condition, leading to a decrease in your capacity and ability to perform.

"Fit enough" is relative. Do you have any past data (training logs, etc) to compare to or test against? If not, there are norms for various tests you could check online and test yourself against. Unfortunately, there are no established norms for equestrian athletes to tests against.

And as QR1 points out, if you have any existing injuries that cause you problems, they would need focused attention.

Regards,
            Medical Mike
            equestrian medical researcher
            www.equicision.com

Comment

Originally posted by JER View Post
              The Tabata Protocol -- eight cycles of 20-sec of all-out exertion followed by 10-sec of rest (4 min total) -- works. Since the first paper by Dr. Izumi Tabata in 1996, this high-intensity interval system has been confirmed and re-confirmed as an optimal way to increase both aerobic and anaerobic fitness.
              I worry about the injury rate compared to traditional methods. As I've gotten older it's been rather depressing to discover that I have to be very careful about intensity as it leads--for me anyway--to injury...

Comment

Originally posted by subk View Post
                I worry about the injury rate compared to traditional methods. As I've gotten older it's been rather depressing to discover that I have to be very careful about intensity as it leads--for me anyway--to injury...
                1. The 'traditional methods' (like long, slow, distance) don't always have much/any science to support them. For example, walking on a treadmill while watching TV ≠ fitness.

2. Like I said in my earlier post, if you stay within your current range of activity, you most likely won't increase risk of injury. One of the examples I gave -- treading water -- is very safe (provided you know how to swim ).

3. The short duration of the Tabata protocol is a plus. You're not doing unnecessary pounding or impact for, say 30-60 min, you just do a short (5-10 min) warm-up and do your intervals.

As many of you know, I participate in several sports that require a great range of activity from endurance to power to speed. I find that maintaining an aerobic fitness base is relatively easy but that real improvement, in terms of performance and endurance, comes through anaerobic training.

Comment

Thanks Stacy!!!

So...... so far Fleck and I have been very lucky!!! And I aim to keep us both fit and happy!!! His legs (Knocking furiously on the wooden desk I'm stuck at right now) stayed nice and tight and cool despite the hard ground this week and despite the hot nail early in the week, he stayed sound and happy.

I'm having a hard time balancing getting him fitter with the heat and humidity and the hard ground. Part of me wonders how fit does he really need to be. We just ran the AECs and he was great! It was 470 mpm and a 5:20 OT course and I think 2500 m. He ran it in 4:59 and was not stressed. I was pushing a hair for time, but we also cut our lines tight. I didn't have to use my stick or spur, but did cluck and he responded easily. He was breathing fairly hard (but nothing crazy!!) and it took him about 30 minutes to cool off to normal respiratory wise, but his heart rate came down quickly. However... he always takes awhile to calm down in his breathing when the humidity is that high. And it was pretty brutal that weekend. Plus the dust was rather brutal too. I wouldn't say it was anything to worry about and his heart rate really never even got that high. In other words... I would think they wouldn't hold him in the vet box, but... he does seem to "blow" a little harder than I'd like in the humidity. Of course, I do too (Oh, and he had also done an hours worth of dressage warm up and a dressage test two hours prior).

He's only 3/8 TB, and the other Appy, so I always want to err a little on the fitter side because of that.

But again, I also want to keep him sound and happy. And our ground is so hard right now and up until this week, the heat and humidity were brutal. It's finally getting a bit cooler and less humid, but the ground is still pretty tough.

So anyways... my point is... is 45 minutes to an hour of dressage, daily riding, jumping, and XC schooling, and 1-2 hour walking and some trotting and galloping hacks enough, or do I really need to be drilling the trot sets too?? I just worry about all the trotting on the hard ground. I guess I can do trot sets in the dressage arena's but...ugh.. how boring

And... then there's me.... I'm skinny, but have so little wind... So guess it's time to start running now that the weather is cooperating And i have no excuses anymore..... Thanks Stacy hee hee.. Just kidding
                  Back to doing squats as I go back and forth in the clinic, doing leg lifts while I brush my teeth, and doing sit ups before bed!

Thanks!!!
                  Not sure if my post even makes sense... I got distracted with work stuff mid-post so I apologize if it's choppy

Comment

Don't forget that appies are endurance type horses!!! Unless his appy genes are really heavy on the QH, he should probably not be too much harder than a TB or heavy on the TB cross to get fit! Neigh you could look at cross eyed and he'd be fit, even at 20!

I have been DESPERATELY trying to get on my bike more consistently for weeks and I have been failing miserably. I'm pretty fit as it is, but I would like to be fitter than I currently am for the three day. Plan is to bike 4-5 days a week between now and then...maybe a little core work, too.
                    Amanda

Comment

I thought this was going to be a thread about our recently chosen tream and their fitness--or in some cases, lack thereof!!

Riders in the UK have to pass fitness requirements outside of the riding field if named to the long list. Could be a good idea here too.

Comment

Stacy,
                        I think having been involved intimately with setting up and working at the T3D, that there is a LOT of walking, more than you can sort of plan for.
                        You end up being on your feet for the better part of four days. You need some endurance and a little bit of muscle for that in your legs, back, and core (thinking back on my sore places after each one!)
                        I think that you ought to find a way to hit a treadmill while grading papers or reading or something -- low level impact type of thing but putting in the time getting your legs a little fitter, but not so much that you develop shin splints or something else painful.
                        And core stuff like Pilates. I wish I get time/place to do it. H.
                        Proud & Permanent Student Of The Long Road
                        Read me: EN (http://eventingnation.com/author/annemarch/) and HJU (http://horsejunkiesunited.com/author/holly-covey/)

Comment

I'd say the level of fitness required would be really hard to state without knowing the present fitness level of the rider.

I never did any "extra" fitness work for our T3D or CCI*. And this was before I had my farm and so I was only in what I'd call "average" shape, just mostly riding. But I've done sports and been fit most of my life, so it doesn't take much to maintain a fair level of fitness. I was also 5 and 6 years younger than I am now--just 40 at that time.

A half-decade later I think I would actually have to do a bit more, but keeping up with my farm is exercise enough for me in the good-weather months. In the winter (when I zip through my pared-down chores and get the heck back INSIDE) I do go to the gym 2-3 days a week. What I usually do is stretch for 10-15 minutes, 100 situps, then do selected weight machines (quads to keep my surgeried knee from falling apart, back and shoulders 'cause that's what barn work requires) then I do 20 minutes HARD on a stepping machine. In about 40 minutes I can absolutely wreck myself (in a good way) and not get horribly bored or waste a bunch of time. I loathe "exercising" and would much rather just physically WORK.
                          Click here before you buy.

Comment

Originally posted by RunForIt View Post
                            Nothing is going to increase riding fitness more than riding...
                            This. I have always been pretty fit, a runner and swimmer in addition to riding - not high level stuff or anything, but I run on average 15-20 miles per week and try to workout at the pool a few times a week. When I was riding just one horse (and not doing much conditioning work for the horse), I used to become fatigued on BN XC. I've found that by riding 2-3 per day and doing their conditioning work, I barely feel like I'm exerting myself at all at training level on XC. I have one horse conditioning for a T3D and one doing similar work to leg up for foxhunting, and I do ALL my trot and canter sets in two point. I've noticed a huge difference and feel very prepared physically for the three day.

Obviously, any sort of fitness work you can do off the horse will help with your riding and overall fitness for the weekend. I think you get the most "bang for your buck" by running - meaning that if you only have 20 minutes to exercise, running will elevate your pulse and resp rates faster and higher than most other activities. Swimming is also good for core strength, though, and I've also been using biking as a replacement for running a few days a week since its' easier on my legs.

Comment

Good point!!! He's definitely not a QH type appy... He's 16.2 and a half and well... not very Qh-ey.

And..... for me... great advice peeps!!! I'm fairly athletic.... but don't do too much. I mean, I have my horses at home, so I do the farm stuff and am fairly fit, but I do need more cardiovascular work. I also probably need more core work. Unforunately Fleck is really my only rideable horse. Roany pony is 27 years old and previously foundered so riding her (to the point of helping me get fitter) is not really in the equation. I might be able to scrounge up some other horses to ride, but honestly, I'll probably do better just to start running and save some time.

Thanks for all the advice. You guys are awesome!!!!

I already did some lunges on my way to the back of the clinic and back up front. Only now suddenly I've got three cats and one dog on the way, so... fitness may have to wait a bit! Unless cat wrestling counts

Comment

OK, I think this is a little bit about attitude.

When I did the T3d (and when I started to prepare for my second one, a few weeks ago, before my new t3d partner lawndarted me, earning him a trip to remedial jump school and me a trip to 6 weeks in a cast), I was a fanatic about my horse's schedule. He is a 17.3 wb and had never been this fit. I worked out a very strict schedule and stuck to it.
                                Luckily, he was SO MUCH WORK to do fitness on (complaining all the way -- 40 minutes of trotting that horse when he was reluctant is like double time on the stairmaster, trust me) that I was plenty fit with that plus Pilates 1x a week and the gym a couple times a week.

I realized that I needed to have the same attitude about my fitness that I did about his; that is, make a schedule, and stick to it. If you skip a day, that's ok. 2 days, not ok. Just put in the time, and you'll be fit, just like they will be.

For what it's worth, I designed the original schedule based on Sally O'Connor's * sched, but then added in a taper at the end as my coach was marathoning at the time, and they all taper. Horse was jumping out of his skin fit, and I felt great. Don't burn out at the end!!!

This time around I was going to the gym a bit more but honestly with two giant horses on the program, one for prelim and one for the t3d, that's a lot of saddle time, so..
                                The big man -- my lost prince

The little brother, now my main man

Comment

• Original Poster

Wow, this is a lot of information! I have lots to digest.

FleckenA-- this thread is mostly for *us*, not our ponies-- although riding them and especially doing those trot sets in two-point is part of our routine, too! But as for trot sets on the hard ground, that is a good question. We are lucky enough to have had some rain here in Nashville, so the ground is OK.

My own fitness: I am a highly tuned desk jockey. I ride five days/ week. Three days/week I do about 40 minutes of walking. I am supposed to be working up to 1/2 hour on the rowing machine (courtesy of Olympian OH) but I have been having a hard time getting to it.

What I can do:
                                  The rowing machine
                                  The gym at work (cardio and strength machines, plus some classes)
                                  Bike with subk (thanks for the offer-- that could be fun!)
                                  Trot sets on other horses
                                  Plain ol' running

I once tried the workout that JER mentioned, with running. It sure was painful! I should also mention that I do have a history of knee problems.

Whatever I do, I need to take it seriously, as asterix suggests.

I have decided that I will go to a fitness class at the gym at work tomorrow. It starts with 15 minutes of "ab blast" and then moves to 45 minutes of something called "boot camp." That sounds like it could be good, right? I will post here that I have done it.
                                  SportHorseRiders.com
                                  Taco Blog
                                  *T3DE 2010 Pact*

Comment

Originally posted by CookiePony View Post
                                    I once tried the workout that JER mentioned, with running. It sure was painful! I should also mention that I do have a history of knee problems.
                                    Then try it on the rower (). 5 min warm-up, 4 mins of intervals, another 5 min if you feel like it (there is no science to 'warm-downs').

Originally posted by CookiePony View Post
                                    I have decided that I will go to a fitness class at the gym at work tomorrow. It starts with 15 minutes of "ab blast" and then moves to 45 minutes of something called "boot camp." That sounds like it could be good, right? I will post here that I have done it.
                                    Not sure what will be on the menu there but if you don't like it, or want to spend even less time on exercise, you might try doing bodyweight exercise circuits 3x week. The way it works is you do 6 or so series of bodyweight exercises in succession (no break, varying the muscle groups worked), take a one minute break, then do it again for a total of 3 cycles. This is what I do when I'm stuck on a job working miserable hours and have no other means of exercise.

This is an example of a bodyweight exercise circuit. I like bodyweight exercises a lot as you can do them anywhere, they don't require any special equipment and you have to balance your body through them, unlike with weight machines.

Comment

Stace, if you're looking for some extra saddle time, I have a couple of trail horses who are steady and could handle some trot/canter work just to get you in better shape! I've got a nifty little track I've been riding, thanks to the hay they're currently cutting, not measured, just eyeballed, but it wouldn't hurt them a bit to get out and move their tushies!
                                      Big Idea Eventing

Comment

Good luck!

For core strength I have always loved medicine ball work outs (you can use a gallon of water or milk if you don't have a medicine ball.)

My favorite is #8 in this article, but they all look great:
                                        http://www.menshealth.com/men/fitnes...10000013281eac

ETA the format is much easier to read if you hit print in the top right corner.

Comment

Working...
                                        X