Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You're responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it--details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums' policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it's understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users' profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses -- Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it's related to a horse for sale, regardless of who's selling it, it doesn't belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions -- Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services -- Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products -- While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements -- Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be "bumped" excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues -- Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators' discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you'd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user's membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Eventing Nation booted from covering Event in Unionville, PA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by trubandloki View Post

Is that an acceptable phrase in a thread where the entire topic is - that word can mean something else?

Shouldn't we come up with something else to say things are opposites?

Question from someone who is afraid to google it on their work computer - what does 'woke' and 'wokeness' mean?
    "Woke" is being hyper aware to the point of absurdity with regard to discrimination, injustice, other's pain, etc. It's like if I ordered a black coffee and the woke girl behind me in line flipped out that I should have called it "plain coffee" because calling it black appropriate's the word black and asserts that black means simple or unimproved and by the way I should not have thought about her as a girl because that's a huge assumption on my privileged part and why are you even drinking coffee do you know the pain and suffering that goes into harvesting coffee and the environmental impact of shipping it around the world?

Comment

Originally posted by Jealoushe View Post

Oh your black friends eh, that’s a typical response to bring up the fact you have black friends.

did you check out the Instagram of youngblackequestrians? Doubt you did because you would see plenty of black equestrians are hurt by this.

And well I have a black brother in law and I asked my sister and him last night and I will share you my sisters response via screen shot. They are not horsey.

my brother in law laughed for 5 minutes and said it was totally ridiculous and completely American white privilege for these people to not understand the connotation. He’s American btw.

I asked a friend who hasn’t heard of the event before and her reaction was the same.

just because YOU don’t see the problem doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist.
      Why are your relatives and friends opinions valid as 'fact' and the 'reality of the situation' and anyone else's that doesn't align with their's, garbage?

Comment

https://youtu.be/8CFrCk6_0rM

I don't think this amazing artist is signing about burning down pine trees.

Comment

Original Poster

Originally posted by Djones View Post

Why are your relatives and friends opinions valid as 'fact' and the 'reality of the situation' and anyone else's that doesn't align with their's, garbage?
          Never said that. The argument "but I have black friends" isn't valid. Please read:

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/...9af?ri18n=true

https://ideas.ted.com/why-we-need-to...casual-racism/

https://www.diversityinc.com/i-have-...-arent-racist/

The example I rpovided was a real example from people who aren't horsey, and their thought on the name, including two racial backgrounds for reference.

Comment

Originally posted by Jealoushe View Post

Never said that. The argument "but I have black friends" isn't valid. Please read:

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/...9af?ri18n=true

https://ideas.ted.com/why-we-need-to...casual-racism/

https://www.diversityinc.com/i-have-...-arent-racist/

The example I rpovided was a real example from people who aren't horsey, and their thought on the name, including two racial backgrounds for reference.
            Both of you are sharing anecdotal information, her black friends shrugged it off and your black relatives didn't. Neither opinion is more or less real than the other. Neither is superior.

Comment

I think the event organizers must have been looking to drop it from their roster/operating at a loss. Aside from the annoyance of rebranding, changing it to the Unionville Horse Trials (or something similar) would have been a pretty simple workaround.
              A quick tutorial on interval training: Conditioning your horse for eventing

Comment

Originally posted by poltroon View Post

When the name of the event is in the headline, the context of "but it's totally okay because we don't think this piece of land in Pennsylvania had slaves on it after it got that name" is not apparent. People hear the name of the event only. And from that, sorry everyone, the image that comes across to me is that the event is on former slaveholding land in South Carolina. It doesn't feel comfortable. It doesn't feel welcoming.

Words change in meaning and weight whether you like it or not. I could use the word "gay" to mean happy and lighthearted but I would be sowing confusion when I spoke of my heterosexual friend that way, or held The Gay Horse Trials.

Event names change all the time. Venues get name changes. We don't have CTETA or Ram Tap or Rolex any more either. But there are still terrific events happening at those same venues and same dates.

As I read it, the kerfuffle started when Eventing Nation asked for the organizer's opinion on an alternative name to use in their headline. And no one accused the owner or organizer of racism... except if anything, they have done so themselves by melting down.
                There in lies the problem. EN didn’t ask the organizers to change the name. They demanded they change the name by going to the governing bodies and demanding the name be changed. EN started a war back in June on Plantation Field to force a name change. They didn’t ask for a thoughtful discussion. They tried to get people/ riders/ sponsors/ community to boycott the event to force their mindset on Plantation Field.

Comment

Originally posted by KellyS View Post
                  Why do I get the feeling that this may have been a ham-handed approach, especially by EN, to force this change? Why do I feel that this could have been handled much differently and positively, becoming an educational experience in inclusivity that didn't end with the loss of this beautiful venue?
                  This point shouldn't get lost in the substantive discussion of the merits of a name. The discussion is important and timely. It's also important how it's initiated and conducted and who's included. I don't know the players here or the details, and especially don't know how EN approached this issue. I do know that we need to treat our landowners with respect, because let's be real: we need them more than they need us. My sense from reading EN's posts is that they ignored that last bit, to the detriment of the sport.

Comment

Fair Hill,
                    Menfelt,
                    Plantation.

DG has "died on the hill" more than once.

"Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Comment

Original Poster

Both of you are sharing anecdotal information, her black friends shrugged it off and your black relatives didn't. Neither opinion is more or less real than the other. Neither is superior.
                      Except one proves that it does bother some POC. So, that's enough for me.

Comment

Original Poster

From a POC in the sport: https://eventingnation.com/why-words-matter/

Comment

The only time I’ve heard the word plantation is when it is connected to slavery. Words have meaning whether or not you choose to acknowledge it. We should all be striving to make the horse world more inclusive and safe place for ALL. Changing the a name is a simple step IMO.

https://www.nationalgeographic.org/e...tation-system/
                          "No matter what anybody tells you, words and ideas can change the world."
                          -Dead Poets Society

Comment

By now the official email ending the lease to the property is making it’s way around social media. The wording is predictable based upon what we now know. What is interesting is the date. It was sent on Monday the 14th. Make of that what you will, but clearly Monday was before the EN post.
                            McDowell Racing Stables

Remarkable Leather Goods
                            Triple Stitched Halters, Hand Made To Order in US

Comment

Originally posted by Laurierace View Post
                              By now the official email ending the lease to the property is making it’s way around social media. The wording is predictable based upon what we now know. What is interesting is the date. It was sent on Monday the 14th. Make of that what you will, but clearly Monday was before the EN post.
                              Is this to imply that we (general) thought the owner did not know about the controversy prior to the actual EN post?

My thought is that the owner has known all along and they knew that EN was making it into a big deal, even before their post.

Comment

Originally posted by TXnGA View Post

There in lies the problem. EN didn’t ask the organizers to change the name. They demanded they change the name by going to the governing bodies and demanding the name be changed. EN started a war back in June on Plantation Field to force a name change. They didn’t ask for a thoughtful discussion. They tried to get people/ riders/ sponsors/ community to boycott the event to force their mindset on Plantation Field.
                                I agree. It was heavy and ham handed, demanding change by threatening a lack of coverage and boycotts. They never even bothered to ask nicely. Had this been approached differently we may have not lost a top event. There has never been an issue with the name of this event in it's 20 years running, the name is a boy scout tree project, and the event was helping a inner city youth riding group. To flat out accuse the owner of racism was overboard. Our views on things change over time and what was acceptable might not be now. Why not ask nicely? While not accusing someone of racism?

Now those inner city children have to go elsewhere because someone woke on EN decided to handle this with a hammer. If the name indeed conjured images of racism then perhaps speak to the owners nicely, softly first?
                                http://weanieeventer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Is this to imply that we (general) thought the owner did not know about the controversy prior to the actual EN post?

My thought is that the owner has known all along and they knew that EN was making it into a big deal, even before their post.
                                  That may be your thought but it clearly isn’t the thought of many people who assumed incorrectly that it was a kneejerk reaction to the EN post as the lease was already ended before the post was made public.
                                  McDowell Racing Stables

Remarkable Leather Goods
                                  Triple Stitched Halters, Hand Made To Order in US

Comment

Originally posted by Laurierace View Post

That may be your thought but it clearly isn’t the thought of many people who assumed incorrectly that it was a kneejerk reaction to the EN post as the lease was already ended before the post was made public.
                                    I think it was a reaction to the situation, which the EN post is about. I doubt EN did all that and never said 'we are writing a story about how you will not do what we want'.

I actually feel bad for the owners of the land here. They did nothing but lease their land for horse people to enjoy and use. Now they are getting raked over the coals. The situation is between EN and the group leasing the land for the event. Not the land owners.

Comment

I think it was a reaction to the situation, which the EN post is about. I doubt EN did all that and never said 'we are writing a story about how you will not do what we want'.

I actually feel bad for the owners of the land here. They did nothing but lease their land for horse people to enjoy and use. Now they are getting raked over the coals. The situation is between EN and the group leasing the land for the event. Not the land owners.
                                      Exactly, and why lease your land if this is the thanks you get? From people are are more than happy to see another horse trial die. Some people on this BB must hate eventing.
                                      http://weanieeventer.blogspot.com/

Comment

This is the will of the owner. If you don't like it go somewhere else. Why is everything about race? When the White Sox were called the Black socks does anyone know the real reason? I do. It was because Cominsky was so cheap he wouldn't pay to wash the socks! Should we remove the word black and white from the dictionary? People need to get over themselves. I, myself, are Jewish and I do not hold the modern day Germans responsible for what happened before. Learn from it and move on. Why are these people born in the USA, of ALL race, simply not Americans?
                                        The owner has the right to determine what they name there farms. It is legal. IS it worth throwing away such support? Is EN and the USEA going to financially support another event that suits their agenda? Off my soap box now
                                        Mai Tai aka Tyler RIP March 1994-December 2011
                                        Grief is the price we pay for love- Gretchen Jackson
                                        "And here she comes. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's ZENYATTA!"

Comment

You are absolutely right. Both opinions are valid, and people are of course entitled to whatever genuine reactions/emotions they may have. Group A seems to be comfortable with this, Group B does not. All fair.

But if we approach this with the goal of "let's make as many people feel welcome in eventing as possible", there is an opportunity for gain here. Group B is currently feeling unwelcome due to this name. If we change the name to "Unionville Horse Trials", both groups will feel welcome. Why would we not do this? Who does it hurt to change a name? We can clearly see who it would help.

Comment

Working...
                                          X