Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You're responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it--details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums' policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it's understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users' profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses -- Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it's related to a horse for sale, regardless of who's selling it, it doesn't belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions -- Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services -- Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products -- While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements -- Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be "bumped" excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues -- Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators' discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you'd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user's membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Eventing Nation booted from covering Event in Unionville, PA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's a great post, VHM. This morning I was listening to a story on NPR about the wonderful friendship between Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Antonin Scalia. It was a deep, enduring friendship--they socialized together, traveled together, and were known to tease and laugh with each other (with no suggestion there was anything romantic about it). Now, I have no doubt that RBG perceived that some of Scalia's positions would contribute to systemic racism and/or sexism. Politically and philosophically, they were at different poles. But they understood the value of finding common ground and they respected each other's humanity and intelligence, and each no doubt believed that their mutual respect would result in them giving more consideration and weight to each other's arguments... indeed, maybe RBG believed that Scalia's respect and admiration for her would move the needle just a bit when issues related to gender came before the Court.

I feel like that unlikely friendship has some lessons for how EN and USEF could have worked with Glaccum and Walker. And maybe for how the rest of us can get along with friends, neighbors, and family members whose views are different from our own.

Comment

Originally posted by Marigold View Post

I agree Like this, for example:

I really wish that's what happened. They could have been open and said that they recognized that a change was probably best for everyone, but that this year's event had long since been announced and so the change would occur next year. They could have held a vote between a few owner-approved alternatives if they wanted to get everyone involved, publicized it through EN in conjunction with this year's running, drummed up all kinds of positive press for how inclusive and cooperative and positive everyone was being and transferred over some brand awareness while they were at it. There were so many other ways...

I should have clarified - I was using "international" to indicate FEI vs a national class, and the corresponding increase in the number of states that draw to an event like that. The popularity of an FEI event vs a national one means you draw from a much wider population, but I didn't mean to imply we were going cross-continental (I think it will be a while before we're getting the Europeans to come to our 4*s, with the possible exception of Nation's Cups....but always a good goal!) And I don't think Europeans would be too fussed about the name either way, I agree.

What I meant was, by hosting an FEI, you tend to draw people from out of area (including from the south, where "plantation" has a very different meaning). In a country as big as this, you can have different meanings or implications to words depending on what area of the country people are from. Similar to how the brands don't translate well across languages, people who are local to Pennsylvania might be very familiar with pine plantations and the significance of the Underground Railroad in the area, but people considering entering the event from Texas might assume the name "Plantation" was chosen to honor a very different use of the land. They would be wrong, but why allow the opportunity for misunderstanding in the first place?

I don't, and I know you didn't mean it that way Honest and open discussion is the only possible way to move forward on issues like this, and I'm glad you are putting so much thought into it and sharing that with all of us.

And you're welcome. Thought we all could use a laugh!
      Thanks for following up and explaining what you meant in terms of branding and an FEI event. That is good food for thought... drawing an audience from multiple states.

This was a good exchange, in my opinion. I appreciate that. And at the end of the day... the loss of the venue is a really sad thing. It shouldn’t have happened this way.

I know the piece that ran in “The Hunt Magazine” that I mentioned up thread was a deliberate positive PR attempt in the lead up to September on the part of the Glaccums and Cuyler Walker. Which is totally normal and how stuff like that works when it comes to events like Plantation Field International, and places like Unionville, PA. But when I read the online version and saw the cover photo of Denis and Bambi standing in front of the stone ruins...

Good lord. It was so obvious that renaming it Logan Field International in 2021 could have played out BRILLIANTLY from a branding and marketing perspective for all involved. With tons of photos of the ruins, and retelling of the charming story about Logan and his wife who apparently didn’t want to live out in the country.

Mr. Walker’s family history, and the generosity of Plunkett Stewart to the Boy Scout troop 70 something years ago, and the “Plantation Forest” aspect of it all would still have to be factored into it all. But with super respectful discussion, and a caring and thoughtful approach when engaging with Denis Glaccum and Cuyler Walker... that history and part of the story could have actually been HIGHLIGHTED during a rebranding push.

Frankly, a clever marketing and fundraising person could have even still started the whole push right now, this fall, immediately after the competition ran. And announced something along the lines of,

“It is 2020, and there are profound concerns about racial issues, deep inequality of opportunities, and our history both locally and nationally tearing our communities apart. Mr Cuyler Walker and the team of people involved with PFEE and the USEA care deeply about such issues. Mr. Walker’s family has been tied to the community in the greater Philadelphia area for generations, and philanthropy and giving back to this community is a deeply held family value. The Stewart, Hannum and Walker families have recognized for three generations that not everyone has access to beautiful open spaces in the Chester County countryside, nor does everyone know the joy that can be found from participation in equestrian sports. But for three generations, they have sincerely wanted to make sure others with less access and means can enjoy such things. And thus, they wish to announce now that they would like to begin fundraising pertaining to the 2021 fall International at this early date, and direct all proceeds to the benefit of Work to Ride again. And in so doing, draw different parts of the greater Philadelphia area community together, and help more people from all walks of life have the opportunity to enjoy a sport and access to a beautiful part of the countryside that they might not otherwise would. Most especially, they want the youth in parts of inner city Philadelphia to experience these sorts of opportunities and access, and for these young people to also experience the joy that can come from riding horses and spending time in natural open spaces further out from the city. So, fundraising is starting early for 2021! If you care about these goals and our community, and want all young people from all backgrounds to have these sorts of experiences and opportunities, be part of this effort, and donate now!”

It’s a darn shame. This could easily have been a complete win win.

Which leads me to another thought...

If I was Denis Glaccum or Cuyler Walker, and not utterly exhausted by this whole mess, and not dealing with threats from extremist people in terms of my own property, because I had been publicly smeared as a racist, etc (I don’t know if they are or are not dealing with that sort of thing, but it certainly seems possible after the nasty NYT article)...

I might actually decide to NOT cancel the lease, and not cancel the venue. Not just yet. I might actually decide that success is sometimes the best sort of revenge. And then contact the powers that be with USEF and USEA and say something along the lines of...

”We are open to negotiating with you folks, and to continue holding recognized competitions at this venue. We are open to continuing to work with you all and to supporting the sport. But we will only do a name change on OUR TERMS. We have one offer for you folks, and one offer only. Here it is.

If you want there to be an FEI competition for 2021 at our venue, you must agree that it will be called the Plantation Field International AGAIN in 2021, and licensed as such. All proceeds related to fundraising will go to Work to Ride in 2021, and you must publicize this extensively and be an active partner in the effort and spend significant resources on publicity to assist us with fundraising for this cause. Additionally, the USEA and USEF MUST agree that they WILL use the word “plantation” in any media and marketing materials for our venue in 2021, and all subsequent years, if we say we want to use that word to honor the history of the event. But in exchange for this concession on the part of all of you, we are willing to rename it after 2021. If you agree to our terms, then it will be announced during 2021 that the competition and venue will be renamed and rebranded. And in 2022, the new name of the USEF licensed competition, at this venue will be ”Walker Glaccum International” from that point forward. Which shouldn’t offend anyone, and will honor the generosity, vision, and hard work of Cuyler Walker and Denis Glaccum.”

So... take it or leave it everyone.

Personally, I think that would be an awesome way to handle it all. But, I can understand if Glaccum and Walker are completely fed up and exhausted at this point, and genuinely concerned about threats to themselves and their families from extremists who have been agitated by the tempest in a teapot that Eventing Nation decided to whip up.

But honestly... I think it would be one giant middle finger to every single idiot involved, and completely awesome if they turned right around and jammed the whole thing right down the throats of folks on the other side of this, and if the name of the underlying 501c3 was kept the same (thus eliminating one headache) but in 2022 the USEF licensed FEI competition that ran there was called “Walker Glaccum International“

But I can be a bit of a creative and vindictive a$$hole in real life.
      Last edited by Virginia Horse Mom; Sep. 25, 2020, 06:08 PM. Reason: Typos

Comment

Originally posted by Horsegirl's Mom View Post
        That's a great post, VHM. This morning I was listening to a story on NPR about the wonderful friendship between Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Antonin Scalia. It was a deep, enduring friendship--they socialized together, traveled together, and were known to tease and laugh with each other (with no suggestion there was anything romantic about it). Now, I have no doubt that RBG perceived that some of Scalia's positions would contribute to systemic racism and/or sexism. Politically and philosophically, they were at different poles. But they understood the value of finding common ground and they respected each other's humanity and intelligence, and each no doubt believed that their mutual respect would result in them giving more consideration and weight to each other's arguments... indeed, maybe RBG believed that Scalia's respect and admiration for her would move the needle just a bit when issues related to gender came before the Court.

I feel like that unlikely friendship has some lessons for how EN and USEF could have worked with Glaccum and Walker. And maybe for how the rest of us can get along with friends, neighbors, and family members whose views are different from our own.
        Awww - great point, thought, and post on your part.

I 100% agree. The friendship between those two justices was a TRULY special one. We could all learn a ton by reading opinions on various topics both of them have written. No matter what your politics. Read them both. And realize that they were close friends and worked together for years, and had profound respect and esteem for one another.

Comment

Originally posted by Marigold View Post

I agree Like this, for example:

I really wish that's what happened. They could have been open and said that they recognized that a change was probably best for everyone, but that this year's event had long since been announced and so the change would occur next year. They could have held a vote between a few owner-approved alternatives if they wanted to get everyone involved, publicized it through EN in conjunction with this year's running, drummed up all kinds of positive press for how inclusive and cooperative and positive everyone was being and transferred over some brand awareness while they were at it. There were so many other ways...

I should have clarified - I was using "international" to indicate FEI vs a national class, and the corresponding increase in the number of states that draw to an event like that. The popularity of an FEI event vs a national one means you draw from a much wider population, but I didn't mean to imply we were going cross-continental (I think it will be a while before we're getting the Europeans to come to our 4*s, with the possible exception of Nation's Cups....but always a good goal!) And I don't think Europeans would be too fussed about the name either way, I agree.

What I meant was, by hosting an FEI, you tend to draw people from out of area (including from the south, where "plantation" has a very different meaning). In a country as big as this, you can have different meanings or implications to words depending on what area of the country people are from. Similar to how the brands don't translate well across languages, people who are local to Pennsylvania might be very familiar with pine plantations and the significance of the Underground Railroad in the area, but people considering entering the event from Texas might assume the name "Plantation" was chosen to honor a very different use of the land. They would be wrong, but why allow the opportunity for misunderstanding in the first place?

I don't, and I know you didn't mean it that way Honest and open discussion is the only possible way to move forward on issues like this, and I'm glad you are putting so much thought into it and sharing that with all of us.

And you're welcome. Thought we all could use a laugh!

saying that a competitor from Texas ( or SC/ FL/ GA or many other southern states) would associate the word “ Plantation” automatically with slavery is a stretch at the very least and ignorant at best. I’m from Texas, I still live in the south, and have driven to PA to compete in the International Plantation Field. I not once associated that name with slavery. I not once thought about slavery anytime that event was mentioned, discussed or otherwise. I saw and treated the name and event for what it was- a fantastic event and worth the 12 hr drive to compete! I just wish I had decided to compete there this year too. ☹️

Comment

Originally posted by TXnGA View Post

saying that a competitor from Texas ( or SC/ FL/ GA or many other southern states) would associate the word “ Plantation” automatically with slavery is a stretch at the very least and ignorant at best. I’m from Texas, I still live in the south, and have driven to PA to compete in the International Plantation Field. I not once associated that name with slavery. I not once thought about slavery anytime that event was mentioned, discussed or otherwise. I saw and treated the name and event for what it was- a fantastic event and worth the 12 hr drive to compete! I just wish I had decided to compete there this year too. ☹️
            I'm in central Alabama. I know all about pine plantations and slave driven plantations and they aren't the same thing.

My land backs up to 700 acres of pine plantation. We routinely trail ride it. North Florida and south Georgia are thick with them. Us illiterate rednecks aren't the problem, I completely agree.

Comment

Originally posted by Djones View Post

I'm in central Alabama. I know all about pine plantations and slave driven plantations and they aren't the same thing.

My land backs up to 700 acres of pine plantation. We routinely trail ride it. North Florida and south Georgia are thick with them. Us illiterate rednecks aren't the problem, I completely agree.
              I lived in North Florida for a long time and had horses on a farm right next to a pine plantation, and we rode on trails there.

Comment

Originally posted by Virginia Horse Mom View Post

I lived in North Florida for a long time and had horses on a farm right next to a pine plantation, and we rode on trails there.
                You've done a grand job capturing the sad situation. I'd be remiss not to mention that.

Comment

You've done a grand job capturing the sad situation. I'd be remiss not to mention that.
                  Thanks... I really appreciate that. It’s been a crummy few days for me, as I’ve been laid up with some health stuff and stuck indoors... and so... I ended up going on a bit of a COTH forums posting spree. But I also have a few personal friends who are up and coming professionals who participate in area II, and they are very much impacted by the loss of this venue, and I am very sad and mad on their behalf.

Comment

Originally posted by Jealoushe View Post
                    Not using the name as per the article below.

https://eventingnation.com/the-problem-with-plantation/

Would love to hear everyones thoughts on this.
                    Well, riding horses is considered an elite sport, and in slave days, slaves were chased down on horseback, or the slavemasters rode horses to supervise the slaves. So if you want to be morally consistent, give up horseback riding. Don't just expect "other people" to make changes that don't affect you, like changing the name of a place. Put your money where your mouth is. Stop riding.

Comment

...I will note, however, that I was struck by Leslie Wiley’s journalistic background - she’s worked as an actual journalist for traditional outlets, and had her work published in the Washington Post, and worked for an outlet in Knoxville as well. She knows what is involved when it comes to journalistic ethics. She violated them... pure and simple.

And just so everyone understands, a journalist and publication can be openly and proudly either liberal OR conservative in nature and content... but they still have certain rules and ethical standards they are supposed to follow.

Eventing Nation and Leslie Wiley violated their obligations. She describes herself as a journalist... not a blog editor... during the course of this interview. So this whole component of this issue is a sticking point. She can be an activist on issues she cares about in her personal time, and in her role as a private citizen. So can John Thier. More power to them. But as the publisher and editor in chief of an outlet that they themselves are describing as a news based journalistic outlet, they absolutely can not consciously create controversies, participate as activists in said controversies, then write editorials and reports for Eventing Nation about the controversy they played an activist role in. ESPECIALLY if they simultaneously get a revenue bump from the editorials they wrote and published about the controversy.

That is straight up unethical when it comes to journalism. And it seems like ignorance is not a defense they can claim. So... honestly... I am perplexed about this particular angle of this mess. I can’t imagine the revenue bump was big enough to really justify violating all sorts of journalistic ethical obligations.

Unfortunately in today's digital world, controversy and sensationalism are far more important to news organizations and their contributors than traditional journalistic principles and ethics. As has been pointed out, controversy/sensationalism result in higher click counts, which allows the organization to attract more advertisers and subscribers and charge more for those services and therefore increase the bottom line (which of course gets reporters and editors kudos from higher ups in the organization). Even once highly respected flagship news organizations like NYT and WaPo do it--it has essentially become the primary business model for them.

And I am not sure how many universities even stress journalistic ethics anymore. One program I am familiar with requires only one course on ethics ("Journalism Ethics and Diversity") in its BA program for Journalism and Mass Communication. Another required course is The Business and Future of Journalism, which includes discussion of the importance of the bottom line. So with so little emphasis on traditional ethical principles, it is no wonder journalists focus nowadays on advancing the narrative their editors and publishers prescribe.

As you pointed out, EN did not act out of purely altruistic principles. Their initial goal was self-aggrandizement, but they were too ignorant and too stupid to realize they had made a huge blunder. They then compounded the issue by doubling-down and doing a "flight forward", and then stuck to their guns when they saw the increased click counts and "recognition" from more mainstream media outlets like NYT. Now they are smugly basking in the glow of their own self-righteousness--again, too foolish to understand the full ramifications of their actions.

Comment

Same here--we routinely rode in a huge pine plantation in north central Florida. No one that I knew ever once assumed it had been a "slave plantation"--and that included my POC friends in school.

Comment

Why would ANYBODY think they could change the name of ANY International FEI sanctioned event happening in early September, by taking up a crusade in June ? They would not - but they would cause the most havoc.
                          ... _. ._ .._. .._

Comment

Originally posted by Equibrit View Post
                            Why would ANYBODY think they could change the name of ANY International FEI sanctioned event happening in early September, by taking up a crusade in June ? They would not - but they would cause the most havoc.
                            And why would USEF and USEA listen to the crusader, think about it and explore options with respect to FORCING it...

Then, when they realized they didn’t have any options, sit back and say, “Well, I hope you kids can work this out “ as these crusaders started directly contacting the organizer of the FEI event and PFEE board members only weeks before it was scheduled to run.

USEF and USEA should have run interference for the organizers and land owner in this situation, and at the very least, told EN that there wasn’t enough time for a name change, the PFEE organizers needed to focus on holding the imminent FEI competition, and they could try and arrange for everyone involved to sit down together and talk about it AFTER the competition.

At the companies I used to work for, if people held paid management positions, and were involved in screw ups of this magnitude, that were this foreseeable... well... they got demoted or fired. Because their whole job is actually to MANAGE stuff like this... and prevent stupid $hit from hitting the fan. Not enable the $hitstorm.

Comment

Originally posted by Equibrit View Post
                              Havoc may have been their goal.

Comment

And... as of yesterday... The Horse of Delaware Valley has published another exchange of letters involving Leslie Wiley

After the letter exchange with Wiley, Cynthia McGinnis reached out to Rob Burk... because it is a bit of a noteworthy exchange, and one does wonder why he entertained ENs activism to the extent he and USEA did.

Letter from Cynthia McGinnis to Rob Burk, USEA President

September 25, 2020BY SARA CAVANAGH

Mr. Burk,

I am so disappointed that USEA allowed EventingNation to proceed with their unwarranted activism to cause the loss of Plantation Field for the Eventing community.

I have been involved with all horse sports from Eventing, show hunters, foxhunting, international show jumping, thoroughbred racing and breeding, for 57 years, and have never seen race or ethnicity be an issue.

The board of USEA made a terrible decision when they caved to Leslie Wylie’s demand. You can never appease blackmailers.

I am enclosing some correspondence between myself and Ms.Wylie that May hold some interest for you.

Cynthia McGinnes

There followed the letters to and from Ms. McGinnes and Eventing Nation that have already appeared in The Horse.

Exchange of letters between Cynthia McGinnes and Leslie Wylie of Eventing Nation

September 25, 2020BY SARA CAVANAGH
                                Following is a series of letter from Leslie Wylie to Cynthia McGinnes and her replies.

HI CYNTHIA,

Thanks for taking the time to write us. This is an unfortunate situation for all, and with a great deal of misinformation and assumptions circulating. We hope that the eventing community can work together to find a healthy path forward.

Sincerely,
                                Leslie

LESLIE,

I am afraid that ship has sailed. If you had done more research before making your request for Plantation Field to change the name, you would have realized that your request had no more validity than asking realtors to drop the use of master bedroom.

You are going to have to live with your activism causing damage that cannot be repaired. You can no longer just assume that you are still included in the Eventing community.

Cynthia McGinnes

HI CYNTHIA,

We never make assumptions. But we do believe in a more inclusive eventing community in the future.

Sincerely & Go Eventing,
                                Leslie

LESLIE.

You have just listed your first assumption. The Eventing community has always been inclusive.

It is entirely results based, and I have been involved with Eventing.....rode in my first event in Virginia in 1963.....for 57 years, and I have never seen a person’s color be a concern at any level.

I also rode champion hunters (Peter Gunn, Matinee Idol) , trained with Frank Chapot, my uncle owned Good Twist, who campaigned with the USET for many years, sired Gem Twist,...... I have never, in any of these disciplines, seen race be a concern.

My husband and I have bred thoroughbred racehorses for 47 years, many Maryland champions, Breeders Cup competitors,......never seen race be a concern at the track.

All of these horse activities are results based, color or ethnicity not a factor.
                                One of the best jumper riders of the 60’s, Sonny Brooks, was black. He was always included, whenever I was there.

You cannot cover up the damage that the uninformed intrusiveness of your unwarranted activism has done to the sport of Eventing through the loss of Plantation Field.

You speak of a more inclusive Eventing community....it was inclusive before your activism, as are all of the competitive horse sports.

Black Lives Matter, Inc. is a Marxist organization. You need to question their motives before you go after the horse sports.

Cynthia McGinnes

CYNTHIA,

Thank you for this perspective. I started competing in the early '90s so I don't have that context.

I did have a poster of Greg Best and Gem Twist on my bedroom wall when I was a kid, and I hope your family knows what sort of dreams that horse inspired -- it's really incredible, to look back. So incredible.

I want the magic of horses to be accessible to all. What can we do to help foster that?

Leslie

LESLIE,

What you might have done is allow programs like Work to Ride, that brought riding to the inner city youth in Philadelphia....sponsored by money raised through Plantation Field events...to continue and expand. Unfortunately, due to your misguided efforts, this program no longer exists, and these youth will no longer have the chance to experience riding.

Horse sports are expensive... it is not race or ethnicity, but the amount of money available that is the biggest obstacle to young people getting involved.

Horse sports are very inclusive...look at the amount of LGBTQ involvement..... Do you remember Sidney Poitiers daughter who was very successful in juniors, and Sylvia Johnson’s daughter( BLackEntertainment Television) who also competed on the FL circuit? They had the money to be able to afford the costs, their race did not stop them.

What you can do is stay out of the way!

I cannot emphasize how much damage losing Plantation Field will do to the small eventers...those who compete in Elementary, beginner novice, novice....they are done now, no other places within hours of driving distance offer these events done so well, so often. Every time these lower level events were run at Plantation Field, they would draw 500 entries or more. These people were young and old, on horses that they could afford.

Do you really appreciate how much irreparable damage you have done to the sport, the very people you say you are trying to help? I don’t think you do.

Sending the information to the New York Times was the last straw.
                                Sometimes you just have to live with the mistakes you make, and you have really made a big one. I don’t think you can fix it.

That land is gone as far as Eventing is concerned and you have tarnished the reputation of the sport and the people that have been running it.

I think you should take up another line of work as an activist as that seems to be your passion. The horse sports have no place for that, it is not needed.

Cynthia McGinnes

Comment

Wow, wow,wow!! What a much needed proper dressing down. Thank you Cynthia.
                                  The world has changed. No manners, no respect, no sensibilities. No common sense, as to what is really happening to those they profess to help. I’m glad I’m old.
                                  My yearly donation to USEA is not happening this year
                                  Last edited by SLR; Sep. 26, 2020, 10:55 AM. Reason: Addition

Comment

Originally posted by MorganSercu View Post

Havoc may have been their goal.
                                    Duh.
                                    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Comment

Originally posted by SLR View Post
                                      Wow, wow,wow!! What a much needed proper dressing down. Thank you Cynthia.
                                      The world has changed. No manners, no respect, no sensibilities. No common sense, as to what is really happening to those they profess to help. I’m glad I’m old.
                                      My yearly donation to USEA is not happening this year
                                      ladyj79 has quoted 1984 (and others ) in the context of this discussion. After reading Cynthia’s letters it made me think of Orwell as well:

”The heresy of heresies is common sense. “

That’s where we are with this situation and story. I don’t know Leslie personally, I can only read what she’s written (Both in editorials and the letters that have been released), evaluate the facts of the situation, evaluate the other players involved and the background of the people she was making demands if pertaining her passion for a specific activist cause...

And then wonder why in the world her friends didn’t take her aside in July or August and say, “Hey there girlfriend. I don’t know that sending these emails off to Denis Glaccum is really such a great idea. Why don’t you wait a bit on that, and instead, we can just sit down this evening at 5, have a few glasses of wine and talk about it all.”

Good lord! That would have saved a lot of people a lot of misery... including Leslie herself most likely.

Comment

Originally posted by Gardenhorse

Seriously? This series of emails convinces you that Leslie Wylie is the problem? I have got to stop reading this thread.
                                        Well, this plus the other email exchange with Jennifer Yoder, plus the editorial that Leslie herself wrote, plus the facts that name changes AREN’T a simple small or inexpensive thing to try and accomplish within a matter of two months or less until the FEI event was scheduled to run AFTER sponsorships were already secured, plus the fact that John and Leslie consciously decided to ignore Boyd Martin’s late August warning that if EN continued to push the name change agenda in a highly assertive manner, they risked offending the property owner to such a degree that the lease might be canceled and the whole venue might be lost as a result...

plus, Leslie Wiley’s decision to contribute to the NYT article that was written and ran in that paper AFTER this whole controversy had already exploded on social media. The article smeared the entire eventing community and the headline clearly implied the name of the venue was racist, and ties it to the property owner... thus essentially smearing him in a NYT article.

So no... it wasn’t just that series of emails. There were a few other pieces of evidence that I considers.

What about you? What do you think of my assertion that she and others maybe should have just taken Boyd Martin’s late August warning to stop pushing this agenda so hard, gone quiet for a bit, and then regrouped after the FEI event ran, and tried privately approaching the PFEE board at that time about their thoughts and opinions with the respect to the name, and engaged respectfully and patiently?

Sorry the thread is bugging you. I am trying to do better at laying out my point of view with respect to opportunities missed to achieve a constructive outcome.

I do think USEA is a huge part of the mess as well, however, and was derelict with respect to their role in terms of managing a tricky conflict between multiple parties in such a way so that the sporting community wasn’t damaged as a result of the conflict.

What do you think I am missing?
                                        Last edited by Virginia Horse Mom; Sep. 26, 2020, 12:58 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Well, this plus the other email exchange with Jennifer Yoder, plus the editorial that Leslie herself wrote, plus the facts that name changes AREN’T a simple small or inexpensive thing to try and accomplish within a matter of two months or less until the FEI event was scheduled to run AFTER sponsorships were already secured, plus the fact that John and Leslie consciously decided to ignore Boyd Martin’s late August warning that if EN continued to push the name change agenda in a highly assertive manner, they risked offending the property owner to such a degree that the lease might be canceled and the whole venue might be lost as a result...

plus, Leslie Wiley’s decision to contribute to the NYT article that was written and ran in that paper AFTER this whole controversy had already exploded on social media. The article smeared the entire eventing community and the headline clearly implied the name of the venue was racist, and ties it to the property owner... thus essentially smearing him in a NYT article.

So no... it wasn’t just that series of emails. There were a few other pieces of evidence that I considers.

What about you? What do you think of my assertion that she and others maybe should have just taken Boyd Martin’s late August warning to stop pushing this agenda so hard, gone quiet for a bit, and then regrouped after the FEI event ran, and tried privately approaching the PFEE board at that time about their thoughts and opinions with the respect to the name, and engaged respectfully and patiently?

Sorry the thread is bugging you. I am trying to do better at laying out my point of view with respect to opportunities missed to achieve a constructive outcome.

I do think USEA is a huge part of the mess as well, however, and was derelict with respect to their role in terms of managing a tricky conflict between multiple parties in such a way so that the sporting community wasn’t damaged as a result of the conflict.

What do you think I am missing?
                                          I deleted my post, because this thread is upsetting me and I decided I should just stay out of it. But since you replied before I deleted it and because I do appreciate the effort you are putting into the discussion, I will reply to explain my last post, but then I really am going to try to stay away going forward.

I read the emails and thought that Leslie stayed polite and professional while the other woman was the one being rude, unreasonable, and ratcheting up the political rhetoric. Yet you and others seemed to see this email exchange as more proof against EN and their evil ways. To me, only one person in this exchange looks like a jerk and it’s not Leslie. So it makes me wonder if this is the way all the email exchanges went - with people being absolutely insulted by the idea that there’s any issue with inclusion in the sport because they knew a successful Black equestrian once, and then ranting against BLM.

I have wondered about the inconsistency between Leslie saying she just wanted to start a discussion about diversity and inclusion and John Thier saying he knew ending PF might be an outcome and didn’t care. And it occurred to me that starting a discussion may have been the original goal, but then along the way they got so angry or frustrated about the responses they received that they decided they didn’t care if they burned it down. I’m not saying I agree with that choice, just that I can imagine it.

I think it’s tragic that the landowner pulled his support of the event, but I think it’s also sad that so many people are supporting him for doing that and are putting all the blame for PF ending on one side. The landowner had a lot of options - taking his toys and going home wasn’t the only one.

I recently read the book White Fragility, which I highly recommend. It is really eye opening.

(Edited to add: I didn’t read the email exchange with Jennifer Yoder you mentioned, because I was mostly not reading the thread for a while)

Comment

Working...
                                          X