Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You're responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it--details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums' policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it's understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users' profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses -- Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it's related to a horse for sale, regardless of who's selling it, it doesn't belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions -- Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services -- Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products -- While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements -- Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be "bumped" excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues -- Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators' discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you'd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user's membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Eventing Nation booted from covering Event in Unionville, PA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FrittSkritt View Post
    I'm still in a bit of dismay over some of the ULRs who hve vehemently defended Plantation or [worse], passively defended them by posting photos and mumbling, "It's just a name that doesn't allude to THOSE types of plantations! They gave money to inner-city charities!" [aka the "My best friend is black" defense ]

OTOH, Doug Payne's postings don't surprise me (the articles questioning the severity of COVID-19 and videos of him riding in a ring at home with the Gadsden flag flapping in the background gives you an indication of where he stands politically), but I've seen ULRs quietly upvoting other comments or postings from the over-reactors who are acting like Nutella's been banned from existence and dogs have been cancelled.
    You do accept that those ULRs are also just trying to make a living, I presume. Owners, vendors, local hotels and restaurants all benefit from events at Plantation Field. This is not an insignificant loss.

Comment

The letter posted seems sort of generic. The LO just says that his family was being viewed as racist, but it doesn't say anything about that view being caused by EN or by the request for name change. Maybe his family is being viewed as racist because of some of the relationships they have with certain others?
      Rhode Islands are red;
      North Hollands are blue.
      Sorry my thoroughbreds
      Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

Comment

For the people on this thread who are unfamiliar with the property in question:

It is literally a field. Open space surrounded by farms, farmettes and homes. This is not an estate or farm. No one lives on the property. There are the ruins of an old house from the late 19th, early 20th century that was never completed because the owner's wife did not want to live that far out. These ruins make up one of the most iconic and photogenic cross country jumps on the property.

In addition to PFEE, it is used by the local hunt (Mr. Stewart's Cheshire Hounds. Mr. Walker is a descendent of the Stewart family), local steeplechases or point to points use the property. It has also been used for Tough Mudder events and Hot Air Balloon Festivals, plus a host of other activities. The field is a community treasure and Mr. Walker has been more than gracious in allowing diverse groups access to the property.

Until recently, the field had no electricity, that was installed by PFEE and paid for by PFEE, which also recently installed WiFi.

There is no running water - Porta Potties for everyone.

For the people who ask, why can't someone else take over the lease? PFEE paid for & owns: The Electricity, The Internet, The Jumps. So when PFEE leaves, those important items for hosting a horse trial go with them. Very few start up events would be willing to front the cash to put all that back in (in the UNLIKELY event that Mr. Walker would let someone else take on an eventing lease as a result of this fiasco.) It has taken over 20 years for PFEE to get to this place in its existence. In the early years, it was mostly borrowed skid fences, portable generators and working out of horse trailers.

For those who speculate that Mr. Walker got petulant earlier this week when EN published its now infamous piece, this has been going on since the early summer. EN did not call Mr. Walker racist, but it did threaten to go to the non-equestrian media. That was a direct threat. It was uncalled for and I believe EN overstepped its bounds. You can believe passionately in a cause but threatening others will not win them to your side, no matter how right you are. Whether you believe the name should be changed or not, EN came into this and knowingly poked the bear. First rule of combat, know your opponent. EN has had extensive access to PF and the Walker family in the past. It should have known better. EN came into this not with cudgel, but with a howitzer, expecting capitulation. EN got the nuclear response, and now everyone is fighting the wrong fight. EN blundered, badly.

Comment

Originally posted by Albion View Post

First of all, it's not simply a Hindu symbol. When I lived in Taiwan ~15 years ago, it was common for vegetarian cafeterias (meaning ones run by Buddhists or Daoists) to display a swastika (facing the OTHER way) to signal they were vegetarian. Frankly, it was jarring when I moved there, because a swastika DOES mean a certain thing in Western culture, thanks to WWII. Now, would I confuse your average Daoist, Taiwanese, vegetarian cafeteria owner with a Nazi? No, I would not. However, if said cafeteria owner was spouting white nationalist propaganda & displaying an actual Nazi flag, would I? Yes, of course. As far as I'm aware, plenty of people have been careful about their non-Nazi-related-uses of the swastika in Western countries where the immediate thought - even among reasoned, educated people - is 'NAZI!' Seriously, blame the racist eugenicists for casting a taint on the symbol, not quote "woke" unquote people. PS: I'm fluent in Chinese, am a professor, and have issues with how the USC professor was treated.

As for the comment about lovely UK properties like Badminton - yeah, actually, EN should probably also be boycotting them. The Western world needs to come to terms with what colonialism & Western capitalism has wrought. OTOH, who gives a shit about a minor publication about a sport most people don't care about? We're all rich people on horses. (yes, I realize that not everyone who has a horse (I live in Montana) or who competes is "rich," but wow, our discretionary spending is a lot higher than most mere mortals, to say the least.)
          Thank you. I had heard the swastika symbol was also used in traditions other than Hindu, but since I didn't have direct knowledge of that, I didn't want to make that assertion.

All of these situations--the word "plantation," the USC professor, and the swastika symbol--are reminders that the first step should always be to educate ourselves about the varying contexts in which words and symbols are used before leaping to a conclusion of racism.

Comment

Originally posted by RacetrackReject View Post
            The letter posted seems sort of generic. The LO just says that his family was being viewed as racist, but it doesn't say anything about that view being caused by EN or by the request for name change. Maybe his family is being viewed as racist because of some of the relationships they have with certain others?
            So........someone comes up to you, on your property, and tells you they think your farm name is offensive and racist. A farm name that has been around for what, 80 years including 20 years as a USEA Event without any complaints or problems. We may never know the exact wording of the exchanges that took place, but if the Walkers say they felt smeared as racists, do you think they're lying? Is all of their anger just some kind of made up bullish*t? Could be, but that doesn't make much sense. What is crystal clear is that the Walkers were so angry, so upset, that they told the USEA and EN to go f*ck themselves and they regret ever letting us on their property. Reminds me of how Richland was handled. The very generous owners there were so angry at how they were being treated by USEA they shut that incredible venue down permanently, dismantled all of their XC jumps and sold the whole lot off. We are totally dependent on the generosity of these landowners for our sport, perhaps they are all unreasonable, selfish pricks, perhaps it's all their fault. Or maybe we need someone at USEA that has far, far better diplomatic and people skills than what we have now. I have to wonder what other property owners are thinking, those who are currently running shows or thinking about running shows in the future. If it were me, I would not touch the USEA with a 50 foot pole.

Comment

Originally posted by enjoytheride View Post

Did I say otherwise? Did anything I have said indicate that?

The post I quoted clearly said that the land owners feelings don't matter. So ask yourself the question.
              I'm sorry you took my question defensively. Why did you take it that way?

I have asked myself the question already, many times.
              Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Comment

Originally posted by Texarkana View Post

I'm sorry you took my question defensively. Why did you take it that way?

I have asked myself the question already, many times.
                Because I feel like anyone saying "maybe the landowner isn't a racist, maybe the way he was approached made him feel he was being accused without merit and that caused him to clam up" is immediately labeled a racist.

Change is hard. There's a way to address tradition and get acceptance and change without using a hammer.
                http://weanieeventer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by enjoytheride View Post

Because I feel like anyone saying "maybe the landowner isn't a racist, maybe the way he was approached made him feel he was being accused without merit and that caused him to clam up" is immediately labeled a racist.

Change is hard. There's a way to address tradition and get acceptance and change without using a hammer.
                  Did I say those words?
                  Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Comment

It may be the worst work EN has ever done. Do you think Equestrian suppliers will be keen to advertise with them, or other venues welcome them ? Every one of them must be giving thought to who is next.
                    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Comment

I think a number of us are interested in EN providing data regarding what percentage of their staff are people of color as well as a listing of all the Inclusion and Diversity activities they sponsor and participate in. I don't think the Walkers overreacted at all. Based on some of the reactions I read on Social Media I would be very concerned about some idiot deciding I was racist and doing some serious damage to my property or family.

Comment

Apologies - I'm going to quote you in reverse order because one answer feeds into another.

Originally posted by TooManyBays View Post
                        If EN was truly this concerned over the name, they should have privately contacted the venue first to express their concerns.
                        They did. That's how they got barred from attending the event. They reached out privately and said that it was uncomfortable for them to publish "plantation" all over their website, and asked if the venue had a preference for alternative nomenclature (ex. FEI uses "Unionville", etc). The event responded and told them not to darken the doorstep.

Originally posted by TooManyBays View Post
                        Eh... I think they were trying to start drama for views.
                        For instance, before the official change many orgs have decided to not call the Washington redskins that. But they didn’t release an article publicly shaming the owner of the team. They just started calling them the Washington football team.
                        That appears to have been EN's intention (to transition to alternative nomenclature), except when they reached out privately to discuss that they were barred from attending the event. I fully expect that site to cover that event, as does much of the readership, so that's when EN was forced to publish an explanation of why they would not be present. And thus you have the current fire storm.

Comment

Our of curiosity... are any of the folks who are all over the internet providing explanations and excuses for this mess of a situation, by explaining how insensitive and offensive the word “Plantation” is to people of color given American history, etc, and how this change to a private property owner’s chosen farm name was necessary to avoid offending and hurting people of color... because we need to make this sport more inclusive and diverse in order for it to survive...

Are any of you folks planning on competing at Morven Park anytime soon?

Because if you are... all I can say is...

The SELECTIVE OUTRAGE is truly SURREAL.

Morven Park is a beautiful place, run by a nonprofit, funded by generous donors for decades, and it benefits the equestrian community in the mid Atlantic area across the board. I have no desire to see anything there “canceled”... but honestly... I find it the height of ironic and STUPID that this whole controversy is stirring around Plantation Field because of its name, and all of the folks talking about it have been justifying their talk online by lecturing others on sensitivity and racism and American history with respect to slavery... yet they have not one word or concern to mention about Morven Park... an event in the same area happening in a few weeks less than two hours from Plantation Field that is actually taking place at...

wait for it...

A place that was once a plantation. Where slaves lived and labored and suffered. Look it up.

This sort of irrational frenzy is why many folks are tired of social media firestorms like this. Because they are divisive and ugly... and not constructive.

And often, poorly thought out.

Comment

I have sat on a reply, worked and reworked it, over and over again since this thread started.

I am all for change and progress. I agree Plantation is a word that is inherently tied to racist roots. I see why the name ought to be changed. I grew up very close to Plymouth(Plimouth) Plantation in MA where that word has been entirely bled of its racist connotation, and even then I always thought "Plantation" as the event name was a bit off the mark.

But damn if I will ever support EN - I liked them very little before this fiasco, and now I like them even less. I am so at a loss for words. From the information provided, EN approached this delicate situation with all the finesse of a chainsaw.

There are ways to enact and effect change, that do not involve a devastating fallout for an entire group of people. Really.
                            AETERNUM VALE, INVICTUS - 7/10/2012

Comment

To all of you so woke and outraged...

Where were you a year ago?

The connotation of the word plantation didn't happen in the last 3 months.

Comment

Originally posted by Equibrit View Post
                                It may be the worst work EN has ever done. Do you think Equestrian suppliers will be keen to advertise with them, or other venues welcome them ? Every one of them must be giving thought to who is next.
                                Without question. They have somehow snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. I cannot believe this couldn’t have been done in some manner. Christ Almighty even the Israelis and Arabs are getting on....

Comment

EN wasn't barred from attending PF because they said they would not use the name, they were barred because they threatened the owner of the property with going to the media. If EN were so worried about about not using the name, they would have attended, not used the name, and then could have written an editorial stating that they were uncomfortable using the name, so they opted for the style used by the FEI, which calls the event Unionville. That would have opened a dialogue and would have been the appropriate method for a media publication. Instead they opted to go to war with Plantation Field Equestrian Events and the landowner. Mr. Walker has deep pockets, he could have fought it out, but eventing IS NOT HIS THING. He doesn't care about the sport. He basically let PFEE use the property as a favor to a long term neighbor. He doesn't need the grief that has been dumped on him for the last few months, so he withdraws his support. He could have told PFEE that this weekend event was off, which would have been the only thing that would have been worse.

Comment

If EN did, in fact, give the landowners and organizers an ultimatum and threaten to bring negative coverage in the mainstream media if the event name wasn’t officially changed, that is going way too far and the landowner’s reaction is more understandable.

I think it’s fine for them to let the organizers know they have concerns about the name, and for them to decide to refer to the event on their website by its location instead, and publish an editorial talking about said concerns. Making threats to try to force a change, on the other hand, is not taking the high road.

Comment

If we're talking about words and changing every word that has a potentially offensive connotation, how about 'Master'? Google the definition of the word and you will see that the very first definition is as follows below. Surely that is just as offensive as 'plantation'.

noun
                                      1. 1.
                                        HISTORICAL
                                        a man who has people working for him, especially servants or slaves.
                                        "he acceded to his master's wishes"

Does this mean that we are all going to burn our Master's Degrees? Petition Noelle Floyd to drop the name MasterClass? We're going to need come up with another word for 'schoolmaster'? How about the USEA classification of Beginner Novice Master Amateur? Surely that should go too. I agree that we must be very mindful and sensitive to wording things that could offend others. Offending the landowners who have graciously allowed the PF horse trial to run for 20 years on their property just to make a point is inexcusable.

Comment

Leslie Wylie has committed the number one cardinal sin of journalist: She became the story.

EN has committed the number one cardinal sin of journalism: They lost even the pretense of non bias reporting and coverage and became activists.

You don’t get to be both activist and journalist—at least not ethically. Activists don’t get free admission, access to press areas with the perks that go with it, special access to restricted areas and to participants. An event (of any type) grants journalists access and in exchange should have a reasonable expectation of fair and balanced coverage. Nothing close to that exchange happened here.

It doesn’t matter whether you agree or disagree with their motivation. The fact here is they left honest, ethical journalism way behind in an effort to use their platform to bludgeon people who wouldn’t succumb to their demands. That’s flat out wrong. This isn’t "growth," its autophagy.

I predict that EveningNation has jumped the shark. One can hope at least.

Comment

Originally posted by riderboy View Post
                                          Christ Almighty even the Israelis and Arabs are getting on....
                                          Er - not necessarily. They were bribed with EA-18G Growler jets and F-35 fighter planes. That should keep life interesting in the Middle East.
                                          It's a typical Netanyahu move; you arm one sect of muslims, who can then go drop stuff on another sect. Orange man fell for it
                                          ... _. ._ .._. .._

Comment

Working...
                                          X