Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You're responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it--details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums' policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it's understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users' profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses -- Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it's related to a horse for sale, regardless of who's selling it, it doesn't belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions -- Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services -- Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products -- While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements -- Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be "bumped" excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues -- Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators' discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you'd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user's membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Leasing a horse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leasing a horse

I've been advertising my horse for a lease this year and have only gotten a few bites by people who aren't suitable (young children). I am offering a free lease because my horse isn't a packer and was a bad match for me but could be a great partner for someone who didn't have nervous breakdowns at shows. Horse went great for my trainer and the other riders I hired to show it, as well as most of the time when I schooled or showed but not so well if I was nervous. I was looking for an adult that couldn't afford to buy a horse, a college student, etc.

I've seen a ton of WANT ads for people seeking free leases but they don't match up with my horse.

For example, a recent one stated that they wanted a 16 hand or plus horse that was ready to go Novice or Training, had no maintenance issues, had to be a gelding, that the owner could be flexible on low or no payments, and that the owner would pay board where the lessor moved the horse.

Am I doing something wrong? When I was in between horses none of these types of lease were available to me, are they available to other people?

"Not a packer"- why? Is your horse spooky or forward? What is he/she good at? I have brokered many leases, from a BN packer to a confirmed 3*** horse for a YR. More information is needed to make suggestions

Comment

Originally posted by meohmyalter View Post
      I've been advertising my horse for a lease this year and have only gotten a few bites by people who aren't suitable (young children). I am offering a free lease because my horse isn't a packer and was a bad match for me but could be a great partner for someone who didn't have nervous breakdowns at shows. Horse went great for my trainer and the other riders I hired to show it, as well as most of the time when I schooled or showed but not so well if I was nervous. I was looking for an adult that couldn't afford to buy a horse, a college student, etc.

I've seen a ton of WANT ads for people seeking free leases but they don't match up with my horse.

For example, a recent one stated that they wanted a 16 hand or plus horse that was ready to go Novice or Training, had no maintenance issues, had to be a gelding, that the owner could be flexible on low or no payments, and that the owner would pay board where the lessor moved the horse.

Am I doing something wrong? When I was in between horses none of these types of lease were available to me, are they available to other people?
      I think a lot of ISO ads have ridiculous requirements and they will never find what they’re looking for.

For your own horse, it might be about how you’re wording the ad, where you are advertising, or what you will allow. A lot of people want an off-site lease so they can keep riding with their own trainer. Would you consider that or does horse need to stay at current barn? Can your trainer help you network at all?

Comment

Original Poster

Originally posted by FlightCheck View Post
        "Not a packer"- why? Is your horse spooky or forward? What is he/she good at? I have brokered many leases, from a BN packer to a confirmed 3*** horse for a YR. More information is needed to make suggestions
        My horse likes a confident ride to the base. If you are wishy washy about your commitment to jump the fence they will not jump a pole on the ground or will not leave the group. I have not had these issues when someone else rides and think someone who isn't so nervous would be fine. A pro can get on and have zero issues at all, or can get on after I have caused a problem and will sort it out in short order with some dramatics. Most of my issues were showing or in lessons where I got overwhelmed. My previous horse was a joke taker so I probably looked like a better rider than I am.

I think someone who had gone the level before and maybe lost a horse due to injury, can't afford a horse, is in college, etc would be perfect.

I'm allowing a free lease at their barn if they are in a program with someone I know/trust or someone I know recommends. I've contacted a few trainers but nobody has anyone.

Seeing all the free lease want ads for 16 hand Novice Packers made me wonder if I was out of line.
        Last edited by meohmyalter; Aug. 3, 2020, 07:13 AM.

Comment

Most people lease to ride a horse they could not afford to buy, IME. When I was looking for my last lease, I got so many messages from people who wanted me to pay them to ride their out of shape OTTB with terrible ground manners and could barely canter under saddle without falling over. You should be paying me (or a trainer, really) to ride that! I'm not saying this is your horse, but Anyone who has any business taking a horse up the levels or looking for a project doesn't want to invest money into something that they get no return on-- the horse goes back to you in the end, or they can't sell it for profit.

What level of training does this horse have? Show experience? If it's a lower level horse with little experience off property and no ribbons, even if it's a free lease, there might not be much interest.

Comment

I think I saw that same ad and thought the same as gardenhorse... I mean, good luck, I hope you find the 16.2 under 12 year old novice/training packer with no maintenance that the owner will underwrite all the expenses for you to ride so you get the experience at the level. Heck, sign me up too.

I would think you'd be able to find a lease for your horse. You may not have reached the right person yet to make that connection, but I bet it's out there.

Comment

Original Poster

I would say the horse schools all questions at BN and has been to a lot of shows, schooling, clinics, and lessons. I'm looking at a free lease since horse is currently fat and isn't a packer.

Comment

I would say the horse schools all questions at BN and has been to a lot of shows, schooling, clinics, and lessons. I'm looking at a free lease since horse is currently fat and isn't a packer.
                What area are you in? How is his dressage work?

Comment

Man and I'm over here looking for something sane and sound to go ride BN - that preferably ISN'T over 16h and not a 10k a year lease.

Comment

Maybe look for a good ammy whose horse is temporarily laid up with a (relatively) minor injury or pregnancy.

I have twice taken horses on free lease so I could have something to ride while my own horse rehabbed. Each was a little quirky - enough that the owners weren't doing much with them - but well within my comfort zone.

I admit that I took them to preserve my own sanity, but they both went well for me and I enjoyed riding them.
                    Just a other possible route to explore.

Comment

Why are you wanting to lease him, as opposed to sell him? Why do you want to retain ownership? Why not sell at a good price to a confident rider that will enjoy him? A free lease is what you do if you want the horse back in a year or two after you have a baby or travel the world or finish college. Or if you have a sweet older horse that is not really marketable but has some work life left. Or if this is your long time best horse and you don't want to let him out of your sight.

In the case you describe selling at a slightly lower price to a great home, or to a trainer who can school.and then place the horse with an appropriate rider, is your best bet.

The people who want this horse are not interested in free leases. The people who want free leases by and large are beginners or returning riders who are dipping their toes into horses. There are exceptions of course. The best way to find those exceptions is through your trainer and their networks, and horse may need to go to another barn and trainer anyhow

Comment

Original Poster

I am sentimentally attached to the horse and don't want to sell right now, and if the lease isn't a match I want to make sure the horse has a landing platform. I would be fine with a semi permanent free lease and then taking the horse back when the rider's plans changed. Horse is fat right now and I think a leaser would need a month to make sure horse was going to fit with their riding needs. Like I said, I am pretty sure it's a poor personality match and someone without my hang ups would compete XC fine, since horse and I schooled XC fine most of the time. I just get frazzled and horse likes a better rider. I tend to remember when I did poorly and perhaps local people do as well, also horse isn't a bay TB.

Dressage scores were decent, lower 30s.

I'm in Area VIII.

Comment

I think part of it is just the timing. A lot of people have had to cut back financially or just aren't competing/ travelling around to look at horses right now.

Comment

Schooling all of the elements of BN is a bit vague. Does that mean with 2-3 months of fitness someone could take him out and be competitive at BN or that he can string together some pieces but isn't really show ready? Can you get him back to a good baseline fitness even if you don't jump? Is he flawless on the ground and a piece of cake to flat or does he need someone with decent experience?

He is probably a really cool horse but my interpretation from what you've shared is an out of shape unconfident horse that is maybe BN and needs a really confident ride or else he will definitely stop. That's a paying someone else to ride type of situation, not a free lease. Again, this is just my interpretation and may be waaaay off base.

Why is he currently not in work? Have you spoken with the DC of your local pony club?

Comment

How old is this guy? Is there not a chance that with training and age he could be a packer?

I'm not really clear on how you are marketing him but it sounds like you are looking for him to go to an eventer in a program which is going to be hard to find with him being not-a-packer at BN.

I know you don't want to post all the horse's stats but the non-bay TB in my head I think must not be what you have. If you have a 12 year old 15.2 hand paint cross with a decent brain that just needs a strong leader I'd say you need to market him as an all-around type but that varies wildly from having a 7 year old 16.2 hand warmblood.

Comment

I know 3 people who would be thrilled with a free lease that could go BN even with quirks. The only free leases around here are barely broke or have been off work for a year+

Comment

Original Poster

Originally posted by Ruth0552 View Post
                                  How old is this guy? Is there not a chance that with training and age he could be a packer?

I'm not really clear on how you are marketing him but it sounds like you are looking for him to go to an eventer in a program which is going to be hard to find with him being not-a-packer at BN.

I know you don't want to post all the horse's stats but the non-bay TB in my head I think must not be what you have. If you have a 12 year old 15.2 hand paint cross with a decent brain that just needs a strong leader I'd say you need to market him as an all-around type but that varies wildly from having a 7 year old 16.2 hand warmblood.
                                  I don't think horse needs a program as much as it doesn't need a busy adult on a very small private farm who doesn't ride it often enough
                                  Last edited by meohmyalter; Aug. 4, 2020, 11:59 AM.

Comment

My horse likes a confident ride to the base. If you are wishy washy about your commitment to jump the fence they will not jump a pole on the ground or will not leave the group. I have not had these issues when someone else rides and think someone who isn't so nervous would be fine. A pro can get on and have zero issues at all, or can get on after I have caused a problem and will sort it out in short order with some dramatics. Most of my issues were showing or in lessons where I got overwhelmed. My previous horse was a joke taker so I probably looked like a better rider than I am.

I think someone who had gone the level before and maybe lost a horse due to injury, can't afford a horse, is in college, etc would be perfect.

I'm allowing a free lease at their barn if they are in a program with someone I know/trust or someone I know recommends. I've contacted a few trainers but nobody has anyone.

Seeing all the free lease want ads for 16 hand Novice Packers made me wonder if I was out of line.
                                    So here is what I read into this and why I would keep skimming for me personally. "Horse likes a confident ride to the base". A BN rider isn't going to give a confident ride to all of the bases so this horse is going to refuse like hell or dump me if I'm not totally into the next jump. Needs a confident ride in prelim is different than needs one at BN. "A pro can get on....." I've seen a pro give a beautiful ride on a horse that has given it's owner 3 concussions. Next. "Most of my issues were showing or in lessons." Honestly that only leaves trail riding. The horse is BN/Novice that needs a pro ride to do well. I would pass also. I'm not trying to be harsh. I own this horse and it is a difficult place to be in.
                                    "Punch him in the wiener. Then leave." AffirmedHope

Comment

So here is what I read into this and why I would keep skimming for me personally. "Horse likes a confident ride to the base". A BN rider isn't going to give a confident ride to all of the bases so this horse is going to refuse like hell or dump me if I'm not totally into the next jump. Needs a confident ride in prelim is different than needs one at BN. "A pro can get on....." I've seen a pro give a beautiful ride on a horse that has given it's owner 3 concussions. Next. "Most of my issues were showing or in lessons." Honestly that only leaves trail riding. The horse is BN/Novice that needs a pro ride to do well. I would pass also. I'm not trying to be harsh. I own this horse and it is a difficult place to be in.
                                      "Punch him in the wiener. Then leave." AffirmedHope

Comment

So I somewhat agree with what others are saying as far as this horse seems to be a project horse. And so someone would be increasing its value then giving back to you. Unless you phrase it more as a lease to own and explain you want to make sure it is a good fit first and then set a dollar amount at the beginning.
                                        my other question is is this an event horse? If he’s questioning BN and needs a strong ride would he be happier as a jumper or a hunter? Or a dressage horse? Maybe a career change would be better for him?
                                        Have you thought about a shareboard? Someone could take lessons and get him out more and then you could still ride him and maybe with consistent work he would be better for you? Or flip side they fall in love with him and full lease him or buy him?

Comment

Working...
                                        X